GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 26 Apr 2018, 16:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

IELTS vs TOEFL - which one is better ?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: NSTU
IELTS vs TOEFL - which one is better ? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2013, 23:52
IELTS VS TOEFL

By Mahmud Hoque and Md Mostafa Kamal Abir in HigherStudyAbroad™ TOEFL-IELTS Subdivision

================================================

IELTS is the International English Language Testing System which tests English proficiency across the globe similar to TOEFL. Normally, belief that – if someone wants to qualify for the British and other English speaking College/Universities, go for IELTS exam and if you wish for US College/University TOEFL is best option. Generally, people are confused with the difference between TOEFL and IELTS.

TOEFL vs IELTS

One can't state which is better. It normally depends on where you want to apply or which university you are interested in.

**The IELTS exam score is valid for all the Universities in UK. But, from year 2007, US universities are accepting IELTS score too. Here is the link "US Recognition List: Educational Institutions, Professional Organizations and Accrediting Bodies Recognizing IELTS- http://www.ielts.org/pdf/USA_Recognition_List.pdf "

**In the TOEFL test basically concentrate on American English. If you have this American Accent then you have an edge over others. Though, it is not legally stated in the TOEFL documents or Test patterns but as per the experience it is believed so. On the other hand, IELTS have independence of accent.

**TOEFL test consider American English Spellings, for instance, ‘Colour’ is written as Color. IELTS consider both types.
The big difference between TOEFL and IELTS is “The Speaking Section”.

**TOEFL Speaking Section: It is a computer based test where you have to speak on certain topics as per the given reading and listening inputs.

**IELTS Speaking Section: You have to face an Interview. Yes, this is true. You have to give a real interview. Interviewer may ask general questions based on hobbies, likings etc. Even you have to pick a cue card and answer certain issues related to that.

The bottom line is, if you are not comfortable with interview, it is better to give TOEFL. This is the main reason why TOEFL is preferred over IELTS apart from the craze of US Universities.

These are just the ideas based on real experience and general comparison. One can't comment that which test is better, it just depends on the need of student. One should take decision based on the University requirements.
Now, Choice is yours...!!!

Read the following post also:::

http://dxschool.blogspot.com/2013/05/ie ... toefl.html
Intern
Intern
B
Re: IELTS vs TOEFL - which one is better ? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2017, 02:49
If both IELTS and TOEFL are applicable to your needs, use the following guidelines to decide which test to take:

Accent: Choose IELTS if you are comfortable with British accent or TOEFL if you are more at ease with American accent.

Typing or Writing: If your typing speed is not good then don’t take TOEFL, as it requires you to type your essay answer. IELTS, on the other hand, allows you to write your essay answer.

Test duration: IELTS is a shorter exam than TOEFL requiring 2 hours 45 minutes. TOEFL takes about 4 hours to complete. So if you want to give a shorter exam, then go for IELTS.

Types of Questions: TOEFL contains only multiple choice questions, whereas IELTS has other formats of questions like fill in the gaps and matching along with multiple choice questions. You can choose the exam according to the question format you prefer.

Schools in the US or UK: If you are applying for an institution in US, then consider taking TOEFL since it is more widely accepted in the US. For UK, IELTS is the preferred choice.

PS: Whatever test you wish to take, be sure to practice Free TOEFL Practice Tests and Free IELTS Practice Tests

You want to improve your IELTS Score, don't you?

Visit https://www.ieltsidpindia.com/information/online-ielts-study-material and access 'FREE RESOURCES' to try our FREE 30 Day IELTS course.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2018, 00:44
TOEFL vs IELTS. The TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) and IELTS (International English Language Testing System) are two of the most widely-accepted tests to certify your English proficiency.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2018, 04:41
IELTS & TOEFL both are English Proficiency test. Both tests are widely accepted by almost all universities across the world. Let’s see the difference between them:

IELTS

First and foremost, IELTS is easier than TOEFL.
It’s a paper based exam.
Test duration is 2 hours 45 minutes.
There are four sections: Speaking, Listening, Writing and Reading.
Speaking Section :
Speaking test lasts for 11–14 minutes. It is face to face interview and there are total three tasks.

Task 1: In task 1, first of all you will give your introduction and then you will be asked questions on familiar topics such as about family, hobbies, hometown etc. Task 1 lasts around 4–5 minutes.
Task 2: Task 2 lasts for 3–4 minutes. You have to talk on very simple topic such as ‘Describe a place you have visited recently.’ or ‘what you did in your recent free time?’ etc. You will be given 1 minute for preparation, you can make notes too. Then you have to speak 2 minute continuously about given topic.
Task 3: In task 3, you will be asked questions that are related to task 2 topic. Again this task is for around 4–5 minutes.
Speaking test can be taken either before, after or on the same day as the other sections.

Listening Section :
There are total 4 sections in IELTS listening test. Best part is this listening test is similar for both Academic and General module. So this test is too easy and scoring section as well.

1st and 2nd section are based on social situation while 3rd and 4th sections are academic. There are total 40 questions and test lasts for 40 minutes. You listen to the recording and answer the questions for 30 minutes. After that you have 10 minutes to transfer your answer to the answer sheet. While listening you have question paper in front of you, so you know what answer you have to find and when you get your answer you can write it over there.

Writing Section :
There are two tasks in this section. In task 1, you have to describe a pie chart/ bar graph/ line graph/ table or diagram. Task 2 is an essay. you have total 60 minutes for overall writing task. In task 1, you have to write at least 150 words and in task 2 at least 250 words. If you write less than these, you will lose band 1. There are real sample answer sheets are available, you can download it, print it and practice on it. As it’s a paper based test, you can write it either by using pencil or pen. While in TOEFL you have to type your essay.

Reading Section :
Reading test is also lasts for 1 hour. It comes directly after your test. There is no extra time for you to transfer your answers on answer sheet, you have to write your answers while reading only. There are three reading passages in academic module. These passages are usually taken from books, magazine and newspapers, so they are easier than that of TOEFL reading section.

I didn’t appear for TOEFL, so i don’t know much about it. I heard about it from my friends. So many of my friends gave TOEFL 2–3 times and scored low. Some people might not be comfortable with computerized test. Even i heard during speaking section in TOEFL, Other candidates are also speaking so one may could not give that much concentration to one’s speaking. Sometimes there were some technical problems. Some topics or unfamiliar or not relevant, ambiguous. In listening section, you first have to listen recording and then questions will appear, so that time it may difficult to answer some questions.

Well, recently i have appeared for IELTS and my experience with it was awesome. IELTS test conducts at hotels so environment was great. I was made comfortable by examiner before my speaking test so i didn't even feel like i am here for any test and all and i scored well in my IELTS test.

Hope this information helps.
Re: IELTS vs TOEFL - which one is better ?   [#permalink] 27 Mar 2018, 04:41

IELTS vs TOEFL - which one is better ?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: carcass, subhashghosh

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap