Last visit was: 26 Jul 2024, 21:23 It is currently 26 Jul 2024, 21:23
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [8]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 644181 [1]
Given Kudos: 86770
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4253 [2]
Given Kudos: 161
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V46 (Online)
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: If a real number x is randomly chosen between 0 and 2, inclusive, and [#permalink]
Kinshook wrote:
Asked: If a real number x is randomly chosen between 0 and 2, inclusive, and a real number y is randomly chosen between 0 and 6, inclusive, what is the probability that x>y?

For y > 2; x > y is not possible
For 0<=y<=2; It is 1/2 probability that x>y

The probability that x>y = (4/6)*0 + (2/6)*(1/2) = 1/6

IMO C

Can you elaborate on the calculation. Why are you taking 4/6 and 2/6? And why the probability is 1/2 for interval [0;2]?

I would be really grateful if you could answer.
Probability is my weakest area((
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4253 [4]
Given Kudos: 161
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Re: If a real number x is randomly chosen between 0 and 2, inclusive, and [#permalink]
Kudos
Let the divide the time line between 0 & 6 in 2 parts

Part 1: 0 to 2
Probability that x>y = 1/2 since x & y are equally probable, half the time x > y

Part 2: 2 to 6
Probability that x>y = 0 since x has no value in the interval

Since Part 1 (0 to 2) is 2/6th part of the complete time line of 0 to 6 and Part 2 (4 to 6) is 4/6th part of the complete timeline of 0 to 6,
Probability that x> y = (2/6)*(1/2) + (4/6)*0 = 1/6

sherxon wrote:
Kinshook wrote:
Asked: If a real number x is randomly chosen between 0 and 2, inclusive, and a real number y is randomly chosen between 0 and 6, inclusive, what is the probability that x>y?

IMO C

Can you elaborate on the calculation. Why are you taking 4/6 and 2/6? And why the probability is 1/2 for interval [0;2]?

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
If a real number x is randomly chosen between 0 and 2, inclusive, and [#permalink]
If x and y are inclusive ranges, can someone explain why is not possible if I take total cases of (x,y) as (0,0) (0,1).......
This will form 21 cases. Out of which, x>y in 3 cases (1,0), (2,0), (2,1). So the probability comes out to 1/7.

Please help me understand.

Kinshook wrote:
Let the divide the time line between 0 & 6 in 2 parts

Part 1: 0 to 2
Probability that x>y = 1/2 since x & y are equally probable, half the time x > y

Part 2: 2 to 6
Probability that x>y = 0 since x has no value in the interval

Since Part 1 (0 to 2) is 2/6th part of the complete time line of 0 to 6 and Part 2 (4 to 6) is 4/6th part of the complete timeline of 0 to 6,
Probability that x> y = (2/6)*(1/2) + (4/6)*0 = 1/6

sherxon wrote:
Kinshook wrote:

IMO C

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 241 [1]
Given Kudos: 381
Send PM
Kudos
ChinmayBohra01 wrote:
If x and y are inclusive ranges, can someone explain why is not possible if I take total cases of (x,y) as (0,0) (0,1).......
This will form 21 cases. Out of which, x>y in 3 cases (1,0), (2,0), (2,1). So the probability comes out to 1/7.

Please help me understand.

Real numbers include not just integers but all numbers over the intervals

Posted from my mobile device
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 736 [1]
Given Kudos: 81
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sadievj wrote:
If a real number x is randomly chosen between 0 and 2, inclusive, and a real number y is randomly chosen between 0 and 6, inclusive, what is the probability that x>y?

A) 1/12
B) 1/8
C) 1/6
D) 1/4
E) 1/3

There is a 2/3 chance that y will be greater than 2. In all such cases, y will be greater than x. Eliminate those.

There is a 1/3 chance that y will be less than 2. In those cases, there is an equal probability that y>x and that x>y.
So there is a 1/3 * 1/2 chance that x>y. That's 1/6.

Answer choice C.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
If a real number x is randomly chosen between 0 and 2, inclusive, and [#permalink]
GMATNinja / Bunuel

Can you please explain this?

Also, this seems like quite a tough question, what are the chances of something like this appearing on gmat? I don't see the source specified for this.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Send PM
For those who are still confused, please note that the numbers are "real numbers" not integer, not natural, not whole.
Which means that these numbers can be fractions to any decimal point, so you have infinite number.
Therefore, you can't make pairs for x>y such as (1,0), (2,0), (2,1)
you will need to consider the whole range as done here by Kinshook & TDK
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 481 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
sadievj wrote:
If a real number x is randomly chosen between 0 and 2, inclusive, and a real number y is randomly chosen between 0 and 6, inclusive, what is the probability that x>y?

A) 1/12
B) 1/8
C) 1/6
D) 1/4
E) 1/3

Solution:

• Note: this is a question of conditional probability where we cannot count cases

• Since we are looking for condition when X is greater than Y, therefore Y also has to be between 0 and 2
  • Probability that Y will be between 0 and 2 \(= \frac{2}{6}=\frac{1}{3}\)
  • Now, we are choosing both X and Y from 0 to 2 and the probability that X will be greater than Y \(=\frac{1}{2}\)
  • Total probability \(= \frac{1}{3}*\frac{1}{2}=\frac{1}{6}\)

Hence the right answer is Option C
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 854 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
94619 posts