Last visit was: 16 May 2024, 09:10 It is currently 16 May 2024, 09:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 3163 [19]
Given Kudos: 893
GRE 1: Q169 V154
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 3163 [5]
Given Kudos: 893
GRE 1: Q169 V154
Send PM
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 363 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 905
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: Q167 V147
Send PM
Re: If x = a + 1 and b = x + 2 then which of the following must be false? [#permalink]
stonecold wrote:
If x=a+1 and b=x-2 then which of the following must be false?

(I)a>b
(II)b>a
(III)a=b
(IV)a=b^2
(V)b=a^2

A) I and III
B) I, III, V
C) I, III, IV
D) II, III, V
E) I, III, IV, V

why (I) is wrong !?
a=x-1,b=x-2
clearly, a>b
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: If x = a + 1 and b = x + 2 then which of the following must be false? [#permalink]
I think D would be the answer; a = x-1 and b = x-2 are provided... now one method to find the answer is to plug values; the other method is method of elimination so we will get a-b = 1...

Sent from my GT-I9060I using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Send PM
My approach was a hybrid:

I) & II) were straightforward FALSE/TRUE. -> Option D was ruled out
III) Didn't even made any calculation since was present in all the remaining answers
IV) Did the math
a=b^2 ; x-1 = (x+2)^2 ; x^2+3x+5=0 ; since I couldn't find any "integer" solution I flagged it FALSE
V) Did the math
b=a^2 ; x+2 = (x-1)^2 ; x^2-3x+1=0; since I couldn't find any "integer" solution I flagged it FALSE

Wrongly, I selected choice E

Making the assumption of the integer solution I didn't think of any other real number as roots of the equations on IV and V.

Thanks for this good question stonecold, even knowing that real numbers could be a possible solution, I wouldn't figure out to use the Discriminant of a Quadratic to help me out.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Schools: IIMA
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V30
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
Send PM
Ans C.
Given, x= a+1 and b = x + 2, or b = a +1 +2 = a+3
So, we have b = a + 3
Now check all the cases
1. a> b -- False
2. b >a -- True
3. a = b --False
4. a = b^2
substitute in the final equation and you will get
b^2 -b +3 = 0, imaginary roots ( remember b^2-4ac) --- False
5. b = a^2
Same as above substitute and you will get a^2 -a -3 = 0, it has real roots --- True
Hence 1, 3 and 4 are false.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
[quote="Sumo23"]I think D would be the answer; a = x-1 and b = x-2 are provided... now one method to find the answer is to plug values; the other method is method of elimination so we will get a-b = 1...

What if a = -1/2 then option 1 is correct
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
I think a very tough ques
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9293 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
stonecold wrote:
If x=a+1 and b=x+2 then which of the following must be false?

(I)a>b
(II)b>a
(III)a=b
(IV)a=b^2
(V)b=a^2

A) I and III
B) I, III, V
C) I, III, IV
D) II, III, V
E) I, III, IV, V

There are many issues with this question - GMAT Roman Numeral questions always have exactly three items (not the five you see here), there is no reason to even look at item III because it's in every answer choice, and it's bizarrely convoluted to ask which items must be false instead of which could be true.

We know a = x-1 and b = x + 2. Since x+2 is exactly 3 greater than x-1, certainly b > a. So I and III must be false.

We know b is precisely 3 greater than a, so b = a + 3. If we want to see if IV can be true, we can then ask if it's possible for a = (a + 3)^2. Notice this won't be true if a+3 is a 'fraction' between 0 and 1, because then a is negative, so could never equal a square, which is positive. But if a+3 is not between 0 and 1 (inclusive), then (a+3)^2 is always greater than a+3, which is always greater than a. So (a+3)^2 is always larger than a, and b^2 can never equal a, so IV must be false.

On the other hand, it's definitely going to be possible for a^2 = a + 3 to be true, for two values of a. If you picture y = x^2 and y = x + 3 in the coordinate plane, you can see immediately that the line y = x + 3 will meet the parabola y = x^2 in two points. Or you can notice that when a = 2, a^2 < a + 3, but when a = 3, a^2 > a + 3, so for some value of a between 2 and 3 they're equal.

But this is not a realistic GMAT question at all.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9293 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
I'd add, just in case any test takers are hoping to find more information about some of the more algebraic solutions in this thread, that some of the posts above mean to discuss the "discriminant" of a quadratic (not the "determinant", which is a term used in matrix algebra, but not something you'd ever even have occasion to think about when doing GMAT questions).
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 547 [0]
Given Kudos: 1656
Send PM
Long Question.....maybe too long for the GMAT? But great question for practice

Which of the following MUST be False?

That means if we can prove that a Statement could POSSIBLE be True, then we have to Eliminate it.

I, II, and III deal with the relationship of A vs. B

X = A + 1
A = X - 1

and

B = X + 2

I. A > B
Is: X -1 > X + 2 ?

Is: X > X + 3?

can NEVER be True ---- KEEP I

II. B > A

Is: X + 3 > X?

Is: 3 > 0?

NOT Always False ---- Eliminate II

III. B = A

Is: 3 = 0?

can NEVER be True ---- KEEP III

IV. A = (B)^2

X - 1 = (X + 2)^2
X - 1 = (X)^2 + 4X + 4

(X)^2 + 3X + 5 = 0

Rule: using the Discriminant, we can figure out if there are any Root Solutions that Solve the Quadratic

(b)^2 - 4ac > 0 --------> 2 Root Solutions

(b)^2 - 4ac = 0 -------> 1 Root Solution

(b)^2 - 4ac < 0 ------> there are NO ROOT Solutions to the Quadratic

b = 3
a = 1
c = 5

(3)^2 - (4 * 1 * 5) =
9 - 20 = -11

since the Discriminant is < 0 ------> there are NO Root Solutions and IV can NEVER BE TRUE

KEEP IV

IV. B = (A)^2

X + 2 = (X - 1)^2

using the Same Concept of the Discriminant, you will find that there is a possible Root Solution to the Ultimate Quadratic. Therefore, it is possible for B = (A)^2

I ----- III ------ IV -------> can NEVER BE True and therefore MUST BE FALSE

C
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 828 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
93311 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3136 posts