Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:30 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51452 [135]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [8]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
WE:Operations (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [2]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Re: 11 Expert Tips to Improve your GMAT score with NO extra studying [#permalink]
Kudos
These are some really good advices on improving my score! But a few questions arise.

What if i just really forget i have a phone on me? Or someone tries to frame me by leaving notes in my pocket without me noticing?
Do they just completely ignore explanations or is there any way to convince them if that's really the case?
I have one friend who's a total dickhead (sorry for the harsh language) and i could totally see him doing something like this to me the day before the test...

What if i can't wear earplugs? My ear canals are weirdly shaped and it hurts like hell to put anything in them!

Thanks in advance for the helpful answers!

Musicat
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [3]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: 11 Expert Tips to Improve your GMAT score with NO extra studying [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
I would add 5 more of my personal additions to the list:

1. Start every day session with a five or 10 minute review of Yesterdays material covered and hardest areas and little tips and tricks perhaps that you learn from your mistakes. Don’t worry too much about finding patterns in your mistakes. Treat each of your mistakes with respect. Think of it as a teacher some of them teach you rules and some of them may teach you how to be less careless. Don’t except any have your mistakes as normal. Give them All respect. Some of them may be very easy to fix. Others may not but they’re all fixable and solvable. For example, if you make careless mistakes and calculations, you can remember it to double check your math next time you do some thing because that’s where you always trip up so make sure you double check your math or perhaps take a five second break before you start working on the question. I did that. Every time I would submit a question in Quant, I will take a five second pause brief clear my mind and start reading the next question.

2. Know when to give up. This is very important for the overall well-being of your test. You can sync the whole test score was a single question. Not by answering it incorrectly. You cannot mess up the test was one incorrect answer but you can mess up the whole test with one correct answer that takes you for five minutes to answer. You can’t afford to spend more than three minutes with a question. Unless you have a lot of time left over, don’t chase questions that are too hard. If you have no solution in sight at two minutes, just guess and MoveOn. It’s just one question. It could be experimental question it won’t even count but if it’s a real question, it won’t penalize your score too much because it’s a question that is too hard so the penalty will be minimal.

3. Don’t worry about the overall test or how you’re doing. He wants to focus just on the question that is in front of you. You don’t want to think about the question that you solved before or worry about being tired. Just focus on the question in front of you. Don’t worry about being tired. Don’t worry about having enough stamina for the next section. That stamina will magically appear. Clear your mind so it’s just you and the question and all your mental notes about how not to get tripped up how not to get sucked in. Imagine you disarming a bomb. That should be the level of attention. Do you have a complex bomb in front of you and the only thing that matters is following the steps and nothing else.

4. Make sure you break up your study sessions. Use the best time of the day. For example if you work during the day, try to study in the morning. Your performance even though the best time of the day will start going down after about an hour or an hour and a half. Take long breaks. You can actually cover a ton of material in an hour and a half. The key is not so much to cover but to remember it and make sure it sinks and make sure you can leverage it.

5. For the stubborn areas I suggest making hand written notes.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9247 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
souvik101990 wrote:

12 GMAT Club Expert Tips to ace the GMAT with NO extra studying

1. ALWAYS take full length practice tests
Always take the full 30 minutes on the AWA and IR. If you never practice the essays, the last hour of the actual test will be torture. Plus, your score on that test will not be representative of your actual score. You just cheated, skipped the AWA. Are you going to do that on test day? I sure hope not, becuase there is no situation where that makes sense.

I've never thought this was good advice, but it's especially not good advice when test takers can choose section order. And this advice contradicts the title of the article -- any time a test taker unnecessarily takes the AWA+IR sections on a diagnostic test, that test taker is doing an hour of "extra studying".

Naturally test takers should do a complete simulation of test day at least a couple of times before a real test. But there are many reasons to take diagnostic tests, and a lot of the time doing the AWA+IR is pointless. If a test taker wants to evaluate a new Quant pacing strategy, or wants to see their Q and V scores to decide which section to study in greater depth moving forward, there's no reason at all to spend time on the AWA+IR, especially if the test taker intends to do those sections last on test day. That test taker has not "cheated" by skipping the AWA; I'm not sure what that even means.

souvik101990 wrote:
2. Don't forget the AWA and test day photo
Did you know that if requested the schools you've selected to see your scores can also read your essays and see your test day photo? Although I would assume it would be rare, consider what you're writing in your essays and how you look on test day. From the shoulders up you should try to at least look decent.

Again, this contradicts the title of the thread -- trying to look good in a photograph will not help anyone "ace the GMAT". It can actively hurt someone's GMAT performance, if a person dresses uncomfortably on test day, or stresses out about something there's no need to even think about.

I have no factual information about how test day photos are used, but I can make an informed guess, based on security issues the GMAT has faced in the past. Sometimes students have shown up to MBA programs with 750 scores, and it turns out they can't write a coherent paragraph or solve simple math problems. Their GMAT scores then seem very suspect. In some cases, those people had hired someone to take their GMAT for them. With a test day photo, the MBA program could check whether the admitted student was the same person who got the 750 on test day. It has definitely happened in the past that people have been dismissed from an MBA program when it was discovered they didn't take their own test.

So I'd be almost certain the test day photo is used purely for security purposes, and for nothing else. The idea that the photo might be used to make admissions decisions seems absolutely absurd to me; an MBA program could legitimately be sued if they based decisions on appearance. They aren't deciding whether to admit you based on how expensive your haircut is. And there's another way to look at this: if you were the coach holding tryouts for a 400m relay team, and one sprinter showed up at the starting line of the 100m dash in, say, a suit and tie, would that make you more favourably disposed to adding that sprinter to the team? Or would you question their priorities? The goal on the GMAT is to score well; the goal is not to look good. So test takers should do whatever they need to in order to ensure they score well, whatever that means about how they look. And as I said above, I'd honestly be completely shocked if adcoms even looked at the test day photo except when a test score seems suspicious.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9247 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
bb wrote:
P.S. I updated the list.

In item #2, which was moved to the "Outdated" section, the advice about the AWA is actually still valid and is possibly important, so I wouldn't describe that part as "outdated". I'd include the AWA info in the main part of the article, but I'd either remove the photo part altogether, or rephrase it so it doesn't sound at all important.

This is more of a minor point, but I also wouldn't describe item #1 as "outdated". I don't think it was ever good advice, as it's expressed. It would be good advice if it said "SOMETIMES" but not when it says "ALWAYS".
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51452 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
11 Expert Tips to Improve your GMAT score with NO extra studying [#permalink]
Expert Reply

GMAT Club FAQ Videos to watch to know more

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 194 [0]
Given Kudos: 275
GREAT post:)
Thanks for sharing some really amazing points.
Will definitely use these points in future.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thanks Ian,

Good point about the section order. I have decommissioned it.
As to the test day photo - also fully agree, it won't contribute to the score improvement. It is also less critical since schools have more robust social media checks (they troll you). As to whether a wild photo at a wild party would disqualify you or result into a lawsuit - I am not sure and I will stay out of that. However, most people are surprised to hear that their test-day photo is available to schools. This could be awkward and there is a whole sense of professionalism. E.g. would I get really dinged from a school if I used an email address on my profile and resume such as sillymuffinman@gmail.com? Probably not, but you probably don't want to use it... :blushing:

P.S. I updated the list.
Thx!

IanStewart wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:

12 GMAT Club Expert Tips to ace the GMAT with NO extra studying

1. ALWAYS take full length practice tests
Always take the full 30 minutes on the AWA and IR. If you never practice the essays, the last hour of the actual test will be torture. Plus, your score on that test will not be representative of your actual score. You just cheated, skipped the AWA. Are you going to do that on test day? I sure hope not, becuase there is no situation where that makes sense.

I've never thought this was good advice, but it's especially not good advice when test takers can choose section order. And this advice contradicts the title of the article -- any time a test taker unnecessarily takes the AWA+IR sections on a diagnostic test, that test taker is doing an hour of "extra studying".

Naturally test takers should do a complete simulation of test day at least a couple of times before a real test. But there are many reasons to take diagnostic tests, and a lot of the time doing the AWA+IR is pointless. If a test taker wants to evaluate a new Quant pacing strategy, or wants to see their Q and V scores to decide which section to study in greater depth moving forward, there's no reason at all to spend time on the AWA+IR, especially if the test taker intends to do those sections last on test day. That test taker has not "cheated" by skipping the AWA; I'm not sure what that even means.

souvik101990 wrote:
2. Don't forget the AWA and test day photo
Did you know that if requested the schools you've selected to see your scores can also read your essays and see your test day photo? Although I would assume it would be rare, consider what you're writing in your essays and how you look on test day. From the shoulders up you should try to at least look decent.

Again, this contradicts the title of the thread -- trying to look good in a photograph will not help anyone "ace the GMAT". It can actively hurt someone's GMAT performance, if a person dresses uncomfortably on test day, or stresses out about something there's no need to even think about.

I have no factual information about how test day photos are used, but I can make an informed guess, based on security issues the GMAT has faced in the past. Sometimes students have shown up to MBA programs with 750 scores, and it turns out they can't write a coherent paragraph or solve simple math problems. Their GMAT scores then seem very suspect. In some cases, those people had hired someone to take their GMAT for them. With a test day photo, the MBA program could check whether the admitted student was the same person who got the 750 on test day. It has definitely happened in the past that people have been dismissed from an MBA program when it was discovered they didn't take their own test.

So I'd be almost certain the test day photo is used purely for security purposes, and for nothing else. The idea that the photo might be used to make admissions decisions seems absolutely absurd to me; an MBA program could legitimately be sued if they based decisions on appearance. They aren't deciding whether to admit you based on how expensive your haircut is. And there's another way to look at this: if you were the coach holding tryouts for a 400m relay team, and one sprinter showed up at the starting line of the 100m dash in, say, a suit and tie, would that make you more favourably disposed to adding that sprinter to the team? Or would you question their priorities? The goal on the GMAT is to score well; the goal is not to look good. So test takers should do whatever they need to in order to ensure they score well, whatever that means about how they look. And as I said above, I'd honestly be completely shocked if adcoms even looked at the test day photo except when a test score seems suspicious.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
IanStewart wrote:
bb wrote:
P.S. I updated the list.

In item #2, which was moved to the "Outdated" section, the advice about the AWA is actually still valid and is possibly important, so I wouldn't describe that part as "outdated". I'd include the AWA info in the main part of the article, but I'd either remove the photo part altogether, or rephrase it so it doesn't sound at all important.

This is more of a minor point, but I also wouldn't describe item #1 as "outdated". I don't think it was ever good advice, as it's expressed. It would be good advice if it said "SOMETIMES" but not when it says "ALWAYS".

Thanks! I did not have much time this morning (and still don't :( so fixing it quickly until I can perhaps revise it more fully).
Back to 11 now :lol:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 236 [0]
Given Kudos: 295
GPA: 4
WE:Business Development (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Any science for Ideal test time? I prefer to study late. Not a morning person.
But let's say I schedule my test for 4 P.M. and i wake up at 11ishh...
I'm afriad anxiety, waitingfor 4P.M. will cook my brain.

Any theories what to do on the test day? Sleep till 3 ? 😂

Also I'm confused at what time i should schedule my mocks. If i were to schedule them for 4ishh.. what should i do all morning ? ( I've all the time in the world to prep for GMAT since I'm on break for my last job! )

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
There are a few trade offs for the time of the day (perhaps someone else can share their experience) but I feel the main trade offs are:

1. Best personal performance time. For me, even though I am not a morning person, I have a lot more clarity and concentration in the morning (like right now at 9 AM). I can get a ton of things done, so I scheduled my test for 8 AM (choices were 8, noon, or 4 or smth like that - I can't remember and making these up)

2. The challenge with my strategy was the 8 AM part. While I do best in the morning, I could not fall asleep the night before. I kept remembering my checklists, thinking about the test and my life and what I will do if I fail :lol:. I could not fall asleep for a long time only to wake up at 6:45 to head over to the test center (I visited it a few days before to take my TOEFL) so I knew exactly how long it took to get there and I did not have any anxiety of finding it or checking procedures. Anyway, I was not very well rested when I took the test but starting with AWA got me going and warmed me up for the battle and lifted brain fog.

Something I did and I recommend (I know a number of people disagree with this, so be careful), I have staged my test day the day before. E.g. If my test was on Monday, I have woken up on Sunday just as though it were Monday. Wore the clothes I was planning to wear, ate the food I was planning to eat, and woke up at the same exact time. Then at 8, I started taking my practice test. I wanted to know how it felt and what I should anticipate so that I would not have any surprises on the test day. I got done taking the full test (if you are doing AWA and IR last, you can skip it but I took it all since there was no choice back then). I got a 730 I believe and was very happy with it. I was hoping I could get over the 700-mark. I spent the rest of the day with friends and running errands. Still had my checklists (of the most often missed errors on SC) and notes with me which I repeated to myself and consulted the whole day but I did not do any more studying. My review was also very short - i just looked up the questions I got wrong and why. I was done in 5 mins probably. There was no point in going deeper since all studying should have already taken place.

Pick the best time. I know some people pick noon so they can sleep in. I would say you don't to be too groggy and want to have a "normal" schedule and take the test when your body performs best. Don't do anything weird that day or anything unusual. It should be a very BORING day with you trying absolutely nothing new at the test center or outside. You should use your usual strategies, eat usual food, and wear usual clothes.

Good Luck!

hD13 wrote:
Any science for Ideal test time? I prefer to study late. Not a morning person.
But let's say I schedule my test for 4 P.M. and i wake up at 11ishh...
I'm afriad anxiety, waitingfor 4P.M. will cook my brain.

Any theories what to do on the test day? Sleep till 3 ? 😂

Also I'm confused at what time i should schedule my mocks. If i were to schedule them for 4ishh.. what should i do all morning ? ( I've all the time in the world to prep for GMAT since I'm on break for my last job! )

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot