Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 18:55 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Overlapping Setsx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619247 [37]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619247 [12]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [5]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.9
WE:Marketing (Other)
Send PM
Re: In a certain classroom, there are 80 books, of which 24 are fiction an [#permalink]
From the first statement: x+(x+6)=24, so x=9 (fiction books written in Spanish).
from st. 2: x+(x+5)=23, x=9 (fiction books written in Spanish)

Both statements separetely suff., so answer D.

I wonder why they provide total number of books (80 books), maybe i am missing something?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: In a certain classroom, there are 80 books, of which 24 are fiction an [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Answer is D , as we can use both the statements to arrive at a unique solution

statement 1: (1) Of the fiction books, there are 6 more that are not written in Spanish than are written in Spanish.

total fiction books = 24, so ( x+ x+6 = 24) where x is the fiction books in spanish

statement 2 states that
(2) Of the books written in Spanish, there are 5 more nonfiction books than fiction books.

so x + x+ 5 = 23 , where x is the fiction books in spanish

as we can arrive at a unique solution from both statements alone ... answer is d
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
IT IS still ven diagram

call x= number of book fiction in spanish

we have
24-x, x and 23-x

from 1
(24-x) -x=6
we can get x
from 2
(23-x) -x =5
we can get x

oa is d
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Can some one explain this problem with proper Venn diagram ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Engr2012

Thanks , can you please focus more on the exact meaning of these 2 statements which are highlighted in accordance with the equation above.

1) Of the fiction books, there are 6 more that are not written in Spanish than are written in Spanish.
(2) Of the books written in Spanish, there are 5 more nonfiction books than fiction books.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [0]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
shekharshrek wrote:
Engr2012

Thanks , can you please focus more on the exact meaning of these 2 statements which are highlighted in accordance with the equation above.

1) Of the fiction books, there are 6 more that are not written in Spanish than are written in Spanish.

Sure, if you look at the venn diagram, statement 1 mentions that "there are 6 more that are not written in Spanish than are written in Spanish"

---> Total fiction books = a+b, fiction + Spanish books = b , fiction and NOT Spanish = a

Thus, per the statement, fiction + NOT Spanish = 6 + (fiction+Spanish) ---> a = 6+b

Similarly, per statement 2, total Spanish books = b+c ---> Spanish ONLY = c and Spanish + fiction = b ---> c=b+5

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 146
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
brunel - I solved this using the table method as well. However, drawing out tables 3x is quite time consuming and I cannot seem to do it in under 3 minutes. Does 3 minutes seem reasonable to you or should I be solving this quicker?

Thanks!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [0]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
SOLUTION

In a certain classroom, there are 80 books, of which 24 are fiction and 23 are written in Spanish. How many of the fiction books are written in Spanish?

Given:

(1) Of the fiction books, there are 6 more that are not written in Spanish than are written in Spanish.

So, \(x+x+6=24\) --> \(x=9\). Sufficient.

So, \(x+x+5=23\) --> \(x=9\). Sufficient.

Answer: D. (Total # of books is redundant information).

Hope it's clear.

Bunuel :) why didnt you use the formulas ? :? I mean group 1 +group +2 - both +neither

Total = 80
Group 1 is fiction book = 24
Group 2 is spanish book = 23
Both Spanish Fiction = X
Neither = 33

80 = 24 +23 - X + 33

why this formula doesnt work ? pushpitkc any idea? i itemized every number memtioned in the question ? what is first right step to tackle overlapping sets ?
Senior PS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5206 [1]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Bookmarks
dave13 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
SOLUTION

In a certain classroom, there are 80 books, of which 24 are fiction and 23 are written in Spanish. How many of the fiction books are written in Spanish?

Given:

(1) Of the fiction books, there are 6 more that are not written in Spanish than are written in Spanish.

Hope it's clear.

Bunuel :) why didnt you use the formulas ? :? I mean group 1 +group +2 - both +neither

Total = 80
Both Spanish Fiction = X
Neither = 33

80 = 24 +23 - X + 33

why this formula doesnt work ? pushpitkc any idea? i itemized every number memtioned in the question ? what is first right step to tackle overlapping sets ?

Hey dave13

I think when you are told that of the 80 books, 24 are from the genre - Fiction
and 23 of the books are written in Spanish, there could be some books which
are both from the genre fiction and written in Spanish. You are calling that x.
Till here, you are correct!

But how do you come to a conclusion that those books which are neither fiction
nor written in Spanish are 33?

If 23 books are both from the genre fiction and written in Spanish, then there
will be one book which is of the genre Fiction and not written in Spanish. The
remaining books - 56(80 - 23 - 1) in number fall in neither written in Spanish
nor of the genre fiction.

However, if each of the books written in Spanish is not from the genre Fiction,
there would be 33(80 - 23 - 24) books which are neither written in Spanish nor
of the genre fiction

So, basically, the number of books which are neither written in Spanish nor of
the genre fiction can be between 33 and 56.

Hope this explanation clears your confusion why your method is incorrect.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [0]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
pushpitkc wrote:
dave13 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
SOLUTION

Given:

Hope it's clear.

Total = 80
Both Spanish Fiction = X
Neither = 33

80 = 24 +23 - X + 33

Hey dave13

I think when you are told that of the 80 books, 24 are from the genre - Fiction
and 23 of the books are written in Spanish, there could be some books which
are both from the genre fiction and written in Spanish. You are calling that x.
Till here, you are correct!

But how do you come to a conclusion that those books which are neither fiction
nor written in Spanish are 33?

If 23 books are both from the genre fiction and written in Spanish, then there
will be one book which is of the genre Fiction and not written in Spanish. The
remaining books - 56(80 - 23 - 1) in number fall in neither written in Spanish
nor of the genre fiction.

However, if each of the books written in Spanish is not from the genre Fiction,
there would be 33(80 - 23 - 24) books which are neither written in Spanish nor
of the genre fiction

So, basically, the number of books which are neither written in Spanish nor of
the genre fiction can be between 33 and 56.

Hope this explanation clears your confusion why your method is incorrect.

Hi pushpitkc

thanks for your explanation, ok now i understand that neither written in Spanish nor of
the genre fiction can be between 33 and 56 ---

that means we need to denote Neither as unknown X

so i get

Total = 80
Both Spanish Fiction = X
Neither = X

\(80 = 24 +23 - X + X\) :? again doing something wrong ... but what ? :? :)

i think i got it... so question is How many of the fiction books are written in Spanish?

let \(x\) be fiction book written in Spanish, then non Spanish fiction books are \(x+6\)

neither = y : ?

80= x+x+6.... how to write \(group 1+group 2 -both + neither\) ...still dont get :)
Senior PS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5206 [2]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Kudos
Hi dave13

You will have to have different variables to represent "Neither" and "Both Fiction and Spanish".
The equation will be written as 80 = 23 + 24 + X + Y(which cannot be solved as such)

When you try and solve the first statement, where we are told "Of the fiction books, there are 6 more
that is not written in Spanish than are written in Spanish" - if we assume the number of fiction books
that are written in Spanish to be another variable, say "s", the fiction books not written in Spanish are
"s + 6"

Now, we know that the total number of fiction books is 24.
We can now form the equation s+s+6 = 24 and solving the equation, we get s=9(which is the number of
fiction books, written in Spanish)

We can now calculate the number of fiction books that are written in Spanish using statement 1 alone.
Hence, the answer has to be A or D. Similarly, we solve for statement 2 and because the information
given in statement 2 is also enough by itself, we arrive at the solution D!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM

Let the # of fiction books that are written in Spanish be x.

x + (x + 6) = 24
x = 9 <---- Fiction written in Spanish

Sufficient.

Let the # of Spanish books that are fiction be y.

y + (y + 5) = 23
y = 9 <------ Spanish fiction

Sufficient.

Answer is D.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13391 [1]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

Answer: Option D

Video solution by GMATinsight

Get TOPICWISE: Concept Videos | Practice Qns 100+ | Official Qns 50+ | 100% Video solution CLICK HERE.

Two MUST join YouTube channels for GMAT aspirant GMATinsight (1000+ FREE Videos) and GMATclub :)
For a Comprehensive Topicwise Quant Video course at an affordable price CLICK HERE
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92948 posts