Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:12 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Overlapping Setsx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23858 [102]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619088 [15]
Given Kudos: 81596
Send PM
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16598 [6]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
OG13 - DS #94 [#permalink]
In a certain office, 50 percent of the employees are college graduates and 60 percent of the employees are over 40 years old. If 30 percent of those over 40 have master's degrees, how many of the employees over 40 have master's degrees?

(1) Exactly 100 of the employees are college graduates

(2) Of the employees forty years old of less, 25 percent have master's degrees

The OA is A.

I agree with the OA if college graduates are in the same group as people with master's degrees. However, in real world, not all college graduates have master's degree. No?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
Schools: Booth '15 (M)
WE:Business Development (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: OG13 - DS #94 [#permalink]
The first statistic (50% of employees are "college graduates") is a red herring. We don't need it to answer the question asked. The final question concerns master's degrees, and we never got any info about the breakdown of degrees held among college grads. We know 60% of employees are over 40, and 30% of those over 40 have a master's degree. So the number of employees over 40 with a master's degree will be 0.3*0.6*(number of employees).

The second statement would be sufficient IF we knew the total number of master's degrees or the total number of employees. But we don't, not unless we use the first statement. The first statement alone is sufficient, whereas the second is not.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619088 [0]
Send PM
Re: OG13 - DS #94 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
linglinrtw wrote:
In a certain office, 50 percent of the employees are college graduates and 60 percent of the employees are over 40 years old. If 30 percent of those over 40 have master's degrees, how many of the employees over 40 have master's degrees?

The OA is A.

I agree with the OA if college graduates are in the same group as people with master's degrees. However, in real world, not all college graduates have master's degree. No?

Merging similar topics. Please refer to the solutions above.

Also, please read and follow: rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html

And finally, please hide OA's under the spoiler. Thank you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: In a certain office, 50 percent of the employees are college [#permalink]
Hi,

I would like to follow up on the post of linglinrtw, I initially answered the good answer however when re-reading the text, in order to be able to answer the question, we need to make an assumption on the population (it is not either college degree or master degree, it could be something else).

Basically, in many overlapping problems, it is not clearly stated black or white; 1 or 0; and never in the answer this assumption is taken into account.

However, this kind of assuption would be exactly the kind of flaws that the GMAT asks us to find in critical reasoning in the verbal part.

Am I to demanding and should take for granted the assumption in those kind of problem? What do you think?
Thanks a lot!
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16843 [1]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
tsunagaru wrote:
Hi,

I would like to follow up on the post of linglinrtw, I initially answered the good answer however when re-reading the text, in order to be able to answer the question, we need to make an assumption on the population (it is not either college degree or master degree, it could be something else).

Basically, in many overlapping problems, it is not clearly stated black or white; 1 or 0; and never in the answer this assumption is taken into account.

However, this kind of assuption would be exactly the kind of flaws that the GMAT asks us to find in critical reasoning in the verbal part.

Am I to demanding and should take for granted the assumption in those kind of problem? What do you think?
Thanks a lot!

Your doubt is very valid. In fact, in this question, if you try to segregate the groups in a tree structure format and assume that college degree and master's degree are the only two subcategories, you'll see that your inferences would go against the information given in statement 2. (Try it for yourself. Let me know if you need my help in this. :) )

That essentially indicates that the categories listed out in the question are not exhaustive.

However, the question very clearly asks about the number of employees "Above the age 40 AND having a Master's degree". The percentages given are also exactly relevant to this. (% of employees above 40 and % of master's degree holders among employees above 40)

So the problem essentially boils down to finding the total number of employees in the office itself. In other words, we need not worry about other possible groups among these employees. :)

In questions where grouping needs to be conveyed very clearly, the GMAT makes sure that the classification is unambiguous. For instance, Red colored balls and Blue colored balls AND Big and small balls among each color. (There is no scope of confusion here because a ball cannot be both Red and Blue at the same time. :) )

Hope this helps. :)

Regards,
Krishna
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
linglinrtw wrote:

The OA is A.

Also, please read and follow: rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html

Hi,

Could you help me understand what I am doing wrong here.
According to Statement 2,
25% of the 40% of the employees( since 60% are 40 years old) have masters degree and are either 40 or under 40.
The question stem tell us that 50% of all employees are college graduates (which the question is assuming is same as masters degree)
so why can I not make an equation out of it?
(.25)(.4x) + (.3)(.6x)= (.5x)

Thanks
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619088 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
carrerswitch wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
linglinrtw wrote:

The OA is A.

Hi,

25% of the 40% of the employees( since 60% are 40 years old) have masters degree and are either 40 or under 40.
The question stem tell us that 50% of all employees are college graduates (which the question is assuming is same as masters degree)

Thanks

College graduates and those who have a master degree are not the same group.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM

And finally, please hide OA's under the spoiler. Thank you.[/quote]

Hi,

Thanks[/quote]

College graduates and those who have a master degree are not the same group.[/quote]

Thanks. I should not make such assumptions :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
In a certain office, 50 percent of the employees are college [#permalink]
Hi experts,

I need your help,
I picked up E, because I doubt whether there are only two group , master and college, in the certain company.
and the question does not state only two group in the company.

no matter statement #1 or #2 or both #1 and #2, each is insufficient,

please clarify.

thanks in advance
have a nice day
>_~
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1356 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Expert Reply
Walkabout wrote:

(1) Exactly 100 of the employees are college graduates.
(2) Of the employees 40 years old or less, 25 percent have master's degrees.

This would be a perfect place for the "grid" (double matrix, table, you-name-it) ... but there is one more characteristic involved than expected, correct?

In this (rare) case our method suggests the following:

Put in the "grid" two of the three characteristics, the ones with "more info"... the third characteristic is dealt "in parallel"... see the grid below!

Now it´s really simple...

\(\left( 1 \right)\,\,5T = 100\,\,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\,\,? = {3 \over {10}}\left( {6T} \right)\,\,\,\,{\rm{unique}}\,\,\,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\,{\rm{SUFF}}.\)

(2) Insufficient: one possible VIABLE BIFURCATION (36 or 18, when T equals 20 or 10) is shown in blue and pink below:

This solution follows the notations and rationale taught in the GMATH method.

Regards,
Fabio.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 559 [0]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13388 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
In a certain office, 50 percent of the employees are college [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Walkabout wrote:

Answer: Option A

Video solution by GMATinsight

Get TOPICWISE: Concept Videos | Practice Qns 100+ | Official Qns 50+ | 100% Video solution CLICK HERE.
Two MUST join YouTube channels : GMATinsight (1000+ FREE Videos) and GMATclub :)

Originally posted by GMATinsight on 07 Apr 2021, 21:23.
Last edited by GMATinsight on 15 Jun 2022, 06:44, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 316
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
When we solve St 2 qhat is happening why are the equations not adding up and how do we know master s degree and graduates are different? MartyTargetTestPrep ? Also GMATinsight how did you get 32% for grads? The sum of all 4 boxes is 50% and not just those 2. KarishmaB
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64926 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Walkabout wrote:

This is given to us in the question stem:

Attachment:
Screenshot 2022-06-13 at 10.22.37 AM.png
Screenshot 2022-06-13 at 10.22.37 AM.png [ 66.29 KiB | Viewed 9424 times ]

Since 30% of those over 40 yrs (which is 60% of Total) have masters degree, the crimson section is 30% of 60% of Total = 18% of Total

We need to find the value of this 18% of Total for which we need the Total.

College grads = 50% of Total = 100
This gives us Total
Sufficient alone.

This again gives us percent information. We need at least one actual value to get the actual number of people who are 40+ yrs with masters degree. Without any actual numbers, we cannot get this value.
Not sufficient

Answer (A)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 316
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
GMATinsight pls answer the question about the video solution posted by you. Certainly something is offabout it. How can it be 32%? Also if it is 32% of total then it s even more wrong.

KarishmaB how did you know about distinguishing grads from masters?

Elite097 wrote:
When we solve St 2 qhat is happening why are the equations not adding up and how do we know master s degree and graduates are different? MartyTargetTestPrep ? Also GMATinsight how did you get 32% for grads? The sum of all 4 boxes is 50% and not just those 2. KarishmaB
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13388 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Elite097 wrote:
GMATinsight pls answer the question about the video solution posted by you. Certainly something is offabout it. How can it be 32%? Also if it is 32% of total then it s even more wrong.

KarishmaB how did you know about distinguishing grads from masters?

Elite097 wrote:

Hi Elite097

check video now. You pointed out the right thing and I have updated the video. :)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92918 posts