Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:42 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35491 [7]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35491 [4]
Send PM
Stern School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 539 [2]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1292 [1]
Given Kudos: 351
Send PM
In a development that is likely to set stock markets across the globe [#permalink]
Kudos
In a development that is likely to set stock markets across the globe on fire, the world’s largest e-learning company by revenue is teaming up with one of the world’s foremost software developers to bid for its rivals’ U.S. operations, with an asking price of about $20 billion.

A) with an asking price of about $20 billion. -> "With" is used to give result of the action in preceding clause. It is incorrect here.

B) and it has an asking price of about $20 billion. -> "and it has" is incorrect. "it" refers to "the world’s largest e-learning company", it doesn't make sense.

C) which have an asking price of about $20 billion. -> Which is modifying "U.S. operations", and grammatically, there is no such error. Let's keep it.

D) which have an asking price for about $20 billion. -> price for something (noun). It is incorrect.

E) having an asking price of about $20 billion -> having an asking price is modifying whole "clause" which doesn't make sense. Grammatically, it is correct too. But, It is not better than C.

So, I think C. :)

Originally posted by TarunKumar1234 on 24 Feb 2021, 01:41.
Last edited by TarunKumar1234 on 26 Feb 2021, 07:56, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 441 [1]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
Re: In a development that is likely to set stock markets across the globe [#permalink]
Kudos
IMO C

In a development that is likely to set stock markets across the globe on fire, the world’s largest e-learning company by revenue is teaming up with one of the world’s foremost software developers to bid for its rivals’ U.S. operations, with an asking price of about $20 billion.

The sentence says that the joint venture plans to bid for its rivals' operations (followed by the value of the operations)

A) with an asking price of about $20 billion.
The team is not bidding with the price already in hand.

B) and it has an asking price of about $20 billion.
Antecedent does not point to a definite pronoun.
It can be the team or the operations (in this case, incorrect)

C) which have an asking price of about $20 billion.
Correct

D) which have an asking price for about $20 billion.

E) having an asking price of about $20 billion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [1]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.58
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: In a development that is likely to set stock markets across the globe [#permalink]
Kudos
A) with an asking price of about $20 billion. — “with” preposition is wrong here. It should usually be followed by a noun / noun phrase, which is unlike in this option choice. Eliminate.

B) and it has an asking price of about $20 billion. — “it” cannot refer to the logical antecedent “rival company’s operations”

C) which have an asking price of about $20 billion. — seems correct. “Which” can refer to “rival companies’ operations”

D) which have an asking price for about $20 billion. — “for” preposition is incorrect here.

E) having an asking price of about $20 billion — “having” is a participle phrase but it’s agent in this case is “largest e comm company”. Now this participle phrase would make sense if instead of “asking price” we would have had a “total funds” or “available funds” or “offer size” (anything that would indicate the action by the agent here ie largest e comm company). Eliminate E.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35491 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
The official explanation is here.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 164
Send PM
Quote:
US ops has the asking price

I'd like to reiterate what HoneyLemon said here because to me this was really helpful as I was split between A & C. Kudos to HoneyLemon!

I think both A&C are grammatically correct, and both would convey a logical meaning, even though they are distinct, if it weren't for this observation by HoneyLemon. Generally, the companies could bid "with a price of about $20 billion." as in A BUT not with an "ASKING price". An asking price is a price which is asked by the seller (and if the buyer accepts a deal will be struck). Therefore, the buyer can never bid with an "asking price" as he or she is not asking the price he or she is offering a price.

However, with all that said I don't think this would likely come up on a GMAT exam as you would have to understand the definition of the word which is something GMAT (at least from my experience) tends to avoid.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts