Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:45 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [47]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 788 [6]
Given Kudos: 70
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: In order to increase revenues, a cell-phone company has [#permalink]
C and E can be easily eliminated
Now we have to choose between A, B or D
"Charging a flat rate of $20 per month and $0.50 for every minute over 200 minutes" means
0 to 200 mins- $20 fixed
from 201st min on wards- $1/2 for every min
B. Two-thirds of the company's customers use less than 500 minutes per month
Let there be 3K customers
Under New plan(N):
All will be charged=(3K) X 50= 150K
Under Old plan(O):
(I)2/3=2K customers ( say they use an avg of 400 min)
fixed :2K X 20= 40K
variable:(400-200)X1/2X2K=200K( here itself the revenue has increased over old plan i.e, 240K when we have calculated for 2/3rd alone. When we add revenue from remaining 1/3, total revenue will be even more higher.
(II)1/3=1K
fixed :
variable:
i.e,{ total of old plan (I)+(II)}>new plan which suggests that the new plan will actually NOT increase the company's revenue.

D) One-fifth of the company's customers use in excess of 1,000 minutes per month.
Under New plan(N):
3K X 50= 150 K
Under Old plan(O):
(I)1/5= 600 customers ( say they talk for avg of 1100min)
fixed :600X50=30K
variable:(1100-200)X1/2X600=270K
HERE ALSO the revenue has increased over old plan i.e, 300K when we have calculated for 2/3rd alone. When we add revenue from remaining 4/5, total revenue will be even more higher.
(II)4/5= 2400 customers
fixed :
variable:
i.e,{ total of old plan (I)+(II)}>new plan which suggests that the new plan will actually not increase the company's revenue.

both B and D are satisfying the condition.
Bumping for further review and discussions.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Moreover, if we consider

A) A rival-company , which charges no start-up fee , offers an unlimited calling plan for $40 per month.
(A) can also argued to be true, as, if the above is true then the rival company will attract all the customers of the company charging $50 thus undermining the latter's revenue and not causing an increase in revenues.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
correction:
(I)1/5= 600 customers ( say they talk for avg of 1100min)
fixed :600X50=30K(wrong)
600X20=12K(correct)
However, final answer not affected.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
correction1:
variable:(400-200)X1/2X2K=200K( here itself the revenue has increased over old plan(wrong) i.e, 240K when we have calculated for 2/3rd alone. When we add revenue from remaining 1/3, total revenue will be even more higher.

variable:(400-200)X1/2X2K=200K( here itself the revenue has increased over NEW plan(CORRECT) i.e, 240K when we have calculated for 2/3rd alone. When we add revenue from remaining 1/3, total revenue will be even more higher.

SIMILAR correction in second part also.
HERE ALSO the revenue has increased over old plan(wrong) i.e, 300K when we have calculated for 2/3rd alone

HERE ALSO the revenue has increased over NEW plan(CORRECT) i.e, 300K when we have calculated for 2/3rd alone
Sorry for the errors guys. However all errors corrected.
WHERE ARE THE EXPERTS??????
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Sustainability, International Business
Send PM
Kudos
Its true that both B and D reduce the company's revenue.
But the math in B and D does not matter if you have another company offering clients @ $10/month cheaper with no start up fee!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
got it "igotthis" Manager
thanks for the explanation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.2
WE:Accounting (Consulting)
Send PM
igotthis wrote:
But the math in B and D does not matter if you have another company offering clients @ $10/month cheaper with no start up fee!

Actually, I spent 7 minutes - why? Because both B-D give the same answer, so they can't be true, so A is the only answer that can be, but it makes no sense. Maybe subscribers are legally obliged to remain with this company, so A is out of scope, so to accept this answer we are making assumptions that subscribers are free to chose their provider. How is this true? Can we actually make assumptions? Are this kind of questions common?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [1]
Given Kudos: 83
Schools: LBS '18
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Design (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
kvazar wrote:
igotthis wrote:

Actually, I spent 7 minutes - why? Because both B-D give the same answer, so they can't be true, so A is the only answer that can be, but it makes no sense. Maybe subscribers are legally obliged to remain with this company, so A is out of scope, so to accept this answer we are making assumptions that subscribers are free to chose their provider. How is this true? Can we actually make assumptions? Are this kind of questions common?

haha you're right. makes me think if i should ever buy a phone on contract or not. = P
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 239 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Send PM
kvazar wrote:
igotthis wrote:

That's exactly what I was thinking.
Maybe they get their phone from work. Maybe the rival company has almost no coverage? Maybe the rival company sells only one type of phone?
It's too big of a jump (in my opinion) to make... so I don't see A as the right answer.
Can someone else weigh in here?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 599 [1]
Given Kudos: 86
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
Send PM
Kudos
This is a great question...(may be just because I got it right that’s why)..just kidding!!

Back to the question!

A. For the time being let us eliminate A, because reading it 1st, it didn’t strike me to be the correct ans. , until I reviewed the rest.

B. A definite NO.

Reviewing analysis carried out by jatuteja which is correct as far as the math is concerned.

jaituteja wrote:
ruplun wrote:

B) Two-thirds of the company's customers use less than 500 minutes per month.
Suppose, we have 99 customers.

Older PLan: 2/3 of 99 => 66 people use less than 500 min/month.

To minimize the plan's value, lets assume these 66 people make less than 200 min/month.

Now, they will be charged 66* 20$ => 1320$

Remaining 33 people, lets assume they make 500min/month.
they will be charge 33*20$ + 33*0.5*300 => 660 + 4950 => 5610$

total revenues for Older plan => 1320 + 5610 => 6930$

REMEMBER, this is the minimal cost.
New plan: 50$ per person
50*99 => 4950$

Thus plan B is not effective. CORRECT..…NOT CORRECT..What if the customer base after implementing the plan increases to 99000. Obviously revenues will increase to 50*99000…

Experts Please help..!!!

Thanks,
Jai

Basically, the assumption that customer base remains intact after implementing new plan is unwarranted.

C and D also carry same reasoning as B and hence can be ruled out convincingly.

E. So what? The company may have received complaints in the last few months, but may have addressed all the concerns last week. Also this has no bearing on the new customer base. In the worst case scenario, the company may have lost 1%, 2%, 10% or 50% of the customers, but may have gained another new customers increasing the customer base by 50%, 100%, 200% or 2000% (unless otherwise these new customers are related to the old affected customers so as to be discouraged by them…which obviously is too much of an assumption) and hence could earn more revenues …Not a strong contender

Back to A. Not much of math involved and after ruling out the remaining, seems to be an answer based more on common sense than anything else.

Hence, answer is A.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 296
Schools: Mannheim"17
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
jaituteja wrote:
ruplun wrote:
In order to increase revenues, a cell-phone company has decided to change its fee structure.Instead of charging a flat rate of $20 per month and $0.50 for every minute over 200 minutes, the company will now charge $50 per month for unlimited usage.

Which of the following is a consideration that, if true, suggests that the new plan will not actually increase the company's revenues?

A) A rival-company , which charges no start-up fee , offers an unlimited calling plan for $40 per month.
C) Studies have shown that customers using unlimited calling plans will increase their monthly usage of minutes by over 50 percent.
D) One-fifth of the company's customers use in excess of 1,000 minutes per month.
E) In recent months the company has received several complaints of insufficient signal strength and poor customer service.
how to come to conclusion of the solution to be a).I choose B. But according to the solution , the answer is a. and Why?

Source: Mc-Graw Hill's

Competition from rivals is not a concern. We are asked how new plan will not increase company's revvenues.

Suppose, we have 99 customers.

Older PLan: 2/3 of 99 => 66 people use less than 500 min/month.

To minimize the plan's value, lets assume these 66 people make less than 200 min/month.

Now, they will be charged 66* 20$ => 1320$

Remaining 33 people, lets assume they make 500min/month.
they will be charge 33*20$ + 33*0.5*300 => 660 + 4950 => 5610$

total revenues for Older plan => 1320 + 5610 => 6930$

REMEMBER, this is the minimal cost.
New plan: 50$ per person
50*99 => 4950$

Thus plan B is not effective. CORRECT

C) Studies have shown that customers using unlimited calling plans will increase their monthly usage of minutes by over 50 percent.
This will show the new plan will be more effective than expected.

This can also be calculated as per B. and will hold true.

E) In recent months the company has received several complaints of insufficient signal strength and poor customer service.

Out of Scope.

I am confused b/w B and D, however i am more confused how A is correct??

Experts Please help..!!!

Thanks,
Jai

B is not correct because
Case Before: cost to customers = $20 + .50(x-200) {because 200 minutes are free and we are charged over 200 minutes}
1>so if customer talks for 500 minutes
cost= 20+ .50(500-200)= 20+ 150= 170$
2> if customer talks for 200 minutes
cost= 20+ .50(200-200)=20$

Case after: customer has to pay 50$

so we can conclude that plan may or may not be favourable to customer depending on his minutes usage( 170$ VS 50$)

D can be equated thae same as is B
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [3]
Given Kudos: 311
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
Send PM
Kudos