Last visit was: 13 May 2024, 20:53 It is currently 13 May 2024, 20:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 15286 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 15286 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 474 [1]
Given Kudos: 1227
Schools: XLRI"20
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
WE:Design (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Re: In order to increase revenues, a cell-phone company has [#permalink]
D) One-fifth of the company's customers use in excess of 1,000 minutes per month.

Assume there are 10 customers.
Revenue from old plan(assuming 1/5th people used 1000 hrs)= 10*20+ (1/5*10)(1000-200)*0.5=200+800=1000
Revenue from new plan=10*50=500

sayantanc2k considering B ,is it not very clear that revenue as per new plan is less than revenue as per old plan?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
Send PM
RatneshS wrote:
jaituteja wrote:
ruplun wrote:
In order to increase revenues, a cell-phone company has decided to change its fee structure.Instead of charging a flat rate of $20 per month and $0.50 for every minute over 200 minutes, the company will now charge $50 per month for unlimited usage.

Which of the following is a consideration that, if true, suggests that the new plan will not actually increase the company's revenues?

A) A rival-company , which charges no start-up fee , offers an unlimited calling plan for $40 per month.
B) Two-thirds of the company's customers use less than 500 minutes per month.
C) Studies have shown that customers using unlimited calling plans will increase their monthly usage of minutes by over 50 percent.
D) One-fifth of the company's customers use in excess of 1,000 minutes per month.
E) In recent months the company has received several complaints of insufficient signal strength and poor customer service.
how to come to conclusion of the solution to be a).I choose B. But according to the solution , the answer is a. and Why?

Source: Mc-Graw Hill's

A) A rival-company , which charges no start-up fee , offers an unlimited calling plan for $40 per month.

Competition from rivals is not a concern. We are asked how new plan will not increase company's revvenues.

Suppose, we have 99 customers.

Older PLan: 2/3 of 99 => 66 people use less than 500 min/month.

To minimize the plan's value, lets assume these 66 people make less than 200 min/month.

Now, they will be charged 66* 20$ => 1320$

Remaining 33 people, lets assume they make 500min/month.
they will be charge 33*20$ + 33*0.5*300 => 660 + 4950 => 5610$

total revenues for Older plan => 1320 + 5610 => 6930$

REMEMBER, this is the minimal cost.
New plan: 50$ per person
50*99 => 4950$

Thus plan B is not effective. CORRECT

C) Studies have shown that customers using unlimited calling plans will increase their monthly usage of minutes by over 50 percent.
This will show the new plan will be more effective than expected.

This can also be calculated as per B. and will hold true.

E) In recent months the company has received several complaints of insufficient signal strength and poor customer service.

Out of Scope.

I am confused b/w B and D, however i am more confused how A is correct??

Experts Please help..!!!

Thanks,
Jai

B is not correct because
Case Before: cost to customers = $20 + .50(x-200) {because 200 minutes are free and we are charged over 200 minutes}
1>so if customer talks for 500 minutes
cost= 20+ .50(500-200)= 20+ 150= 170$
2> if customer talks for 200 minutes
cost= 20+ .50(200-200)=20$

Case after: customer has to pay 50$

so we can conclude that plan may or may not be favourable to customer depending on his minutes usage( 170$ VS 50$)

D can be equated thae same as is B

can you mathematically explain how d is wrong?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
ruplun wrote:
In order to increase revenues, a cell-phone company has decided to change its fee structure.Instead of charging a flat rate of $20 per month and $0.50 for every minute over 200 minutes, the company will now charge $50 per month for unlimited usage.

Which of the following is a consideration that, if true, suggests that the new plan will not actually increase the company's revenues?

how to come to conclusion of the solution to be a).I choose B. But according to the solution , the answer is a. and Why?

I am not able to understand how B and D are out of scope and A is correct?? Humble request to experts to give proper explanation.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 568 [0]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
In order to increase revenues, a cell-phone company has [#permalink]
ruplun wrote:

Good question
Now what will give us reason to believe that the plan to change fee structure to charge 50 dollars for unlimited usage will not work .
A clearly gives us that reason as it tells us that a rival company already is giving the same plan for 40 dollars then people will surely opt for the cheaper service.
B is actually very hazy it does not give us any information about the actual break up of customers.
C suppose majority of the customers use 50 minutes then after the new plan they will consume 75 minutes then the consumers will be at loss they may choose different service provider.
D Again same type of reasoning as used in C
E Out of scope.

Originally posted by arvind910619 on 07 Feb 2018, 08:06.
Last edited by arvind910619 on 07 Feb 2018, 08:10, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 568 [0]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Sankalp92 wrote:
ruplun wrote:

I am not able to understand how B and D are out of scope and A is correct?? Humble request to experts to give proper explanation.

Hi ,
We dont know the actual break up of the customers so we can not infer anything .
if majority of the people are use 100 minutes then they are at loss due to new plan . They might switch service .
D also uses same type of reasoning.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 938 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
GMATNinja sayantanc2k ... i have a question

when a plan is mentioned in the argument and we are asked to evaluate the success of the plan , another competing plan employed by someone else can weaken the success? when is it should we just focus on the specific plan>?
is it when we are asked about the efficiency or viabilty of the plan?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 407
Send PM
I have gone through the discussion. I am still not convinced with option a. I understand the logic behind it being the correct answer, but it still seems out of scope.

Please help!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 60
Send PM
madn800 wrote:
Moreover, if we consider

(A) can also argued to be true, as, if the above is true then the rival company will attract all the customers of the company charging $50 thus undermining the latter's revenue and not causing an increase in revenues.

Hi buddy,
Just because rival company reduces fee doesn't necessarily mean customers will move away from the current network.

Just imagine a case where the customers prefer other factors like good network coverage or good customer service, which may be available in the existing network. In such a scenario, customers are unlikely to move to a new network rather stay with the current operator paying extra.

I vote against Option A.

I m still pondering between B and D. Both are seemingly sound options.

Hope my assumption is rational .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
(A) is problematic.
There are plenty of things when someone choose their cellular provider, other than star-up fee or service price.
So we can not conclude whether customers move to rival company or not. so (A) is out of scope here.
(B) and (D) seem to be more apropriate answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
(A) is problematic.
There are plenty of things when someone choose their cellular provider, other than star-up fee or service price.
So we can not conclude whether customers move to rival company or not. so (A) is out of scope here.
(B) and (D) seem to be more apropriate answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 163
Schools: IIMA PGPX'23
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39 (Online)
Send PM
ruplun wrote:

This is definitely a problematic question.
First of all, we are concerned with the success of the plan of the current company and how the new plan will/ will not actually increase the company's revenues.

In this particular case, we SHOULD NOT be bothered about what another company XYZ does. The argument deals only with how the current plan results in the success or failure of the expectation of the said company.

A: Doesn't make sense to me at all to be considered in this scenario. Even if the competitor launches that lucrative plan, does that mean that the revenue of the original company won't increase AT ALL?? No new customers will join to the existing company and no existing customers will pay more as a result of the proposed plan? There are lots of ifs and buts in this. We can keep justifying this option for the sake of marking this question correctly but this option doesn't concern itself with the said plan and outcome of the plan mentioned in the argument.

B and D are equally wrong if you do the math for this. 20$/month + 0.50(T-200) = 50$/month. This gives T = 260. It means as long as users are using at max 260 minutes, the company is in a breakeven. As soon as the users use more than 260 minutes in a month, the 50$ plan goes out of the window. Now B says that the majority of users use less than 500 minutes per month. How much less? 300?400? 450? 499? 130? 50? we are not sure. Can result in both success or failure of the plan.
Similarly, option D goes to the other extreme (1000 minutes), but says that only 20% of users do this. Again, we have no idea about the other big chunk (80%) of users.

E is out of scope.

C is interesting: Studies have shown that customers using unlimited calling plans will increase their monthly usage of minutes by over 50 percent.

so let's say the existing company calculated the average minutes used by the majority of users in a month and then they proposed the plan of 50$/month. We can consider this because no company would blindly pick a number for a new plan. Now what if after all this calculation, the users increase their monthly usage by 1.5 times!?? Then all that calculation gets tossed out of the window! This is impacting that there is a big chance for revenue to get decreased.

Hence, I firmly believe that option C is correct.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 850 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6927 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts