Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:58 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [7]
Given Kudos: 296
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 889 [1]
Given Kudos: 354
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Re: In Shengzhou, among the most prolific regions in Zhejiang province in [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hello, everyone. I am writing in response to a request from PTD1995. I enjoy discussing the finer points of grammar sometimes in an effort to assist the community, and this question presents a few issues that bear discussion. I would like to know the source for reasons that I will broach below.
rheam25 wrote:
In Shengzhou, among the most prolific regions in Zhejiang province in eastern China, about 95% of bamboo handicrafts are exported, indicating that selling bamboo, “poor man’s timber”, to Chinese is hard.

Before we even get to the answer choices, notice the comma that falls outside the quotation marks surrounding poor man's timber. I see two distinct possibilities here that are worth mentioning. First, the transcriptionist copied the punctuation incorrectly from the source material. I mistype all the time, although usually not with punctuation. The other plausible explanation is that the comma placement is a faithful representation of the original sentence, but that would introduce uncertainty as to the likeness the question bears to an actual GMAT™ question. That is, the GMAT™ always observes the punctuation conventions of Standard American English, and within this set of rules, commas go inside quotation marks. I would not go so far as to say that the question was a dubious one if the second scenario proved true, but at the same time, I would draw attention to the risks that may come attached to third-party questions, where quality control might not be that high. With that said, let us jump into the answer choices.

rheam25 wrote:
A. exported, indicating that

Analysis: An -ing phrase can reach back in the sentence to modify more than just the word on the other side of the comma. If we break down the sentence at hand, we have a prepositional phrase, In Shengzhou, followed by another prepositional phrase, among the most prolific regions in the Zhejiang province in eastern China, a prepositional phrase that is bounded by double commas and clearly modifies the noun Shengzhou in the first. The double commas allow us to jump over the modifying phrase and leave a perfectly intact main clause: In Shengzhou, about 95% of bamboo handicrafts are exported, indicating that selling bamboo to Chinese is hard. Notice that I cut out the appositive phrase "poor man's timber" because it is also bound by double commas. The question becomes, can we make sense of just what indicating refers to in the main clause? I would argue yes, it must be the entire fact that 95% of bamboo handicrafts from the region are exported. It cannot be exported alone because we would need to know what was exported to complete a causal link between the main clause and the modifier that follows it. That link, of course, is bamboo. Since almost all the bamboo handicrafts are exported, presumably from China and not just the region, the Chinese must not be buying the bamboo, hence the modifying phrase. If you were unsure and just wanted to check the other answers, that is fine. For now, I see nothing wrong with this option. Yellow light.

rheam25 wrote:
B.exported to indicate that

Analysis: The infinitive to indicate muddles the meaning here, as if we were meant to understand that the bamboo handicrafts were exported in order to indicate something, and there is simply no way to argue that such a reading has no basis. It is not that the use of the infinitive is always wrong (see this recent question or this earlier one, based on an official question). However, in this case, the infinitive distorts the meaning of the sentence in a way that would not make logical sense. Red light.

rheam25 wrote:
C.exported, exports that indicate that

Analysis: Surely, there is a better way to express this notion than to repeat a form of export, not to mention the double that. Furthermore, the first that is problematic, shifting the focus from the overall fact that the high percentage of bamboo exports from the region indicates something to the exports themselves indicating something. Watch out for restrictive that clauses. The meaning may not be as clear as you think. Red light.

rheam25 wrote:
D.exported, a metric indicating

Analysis: I have no problem with the metric here, which would clearly refer back to the 95% part. It is the tail-end that concerns me, a metric indicating selling. To answer the question of what the metric indicates, I am looking for a noun or a placeholder pronoun--i.e. that--instead of a phrase. I cannot find a single example of stacking -ing phrases in this manner in any correct response to an official question, making me wonder whether that might, in fact, appear in the original source material. I would not okay this option, as written. Red light.

rheam25 wrote:
E.exports for indicating

Analysis: We are back to explaining why exports are going on, as we saw in option (B). If it did not work there, it will not work here, either. Moreover, as shameekv1989 pointed out, for indicating is not the correct way of expressing the notion that something indicates. Red light.

It is easy to argue for an answer after the fact, with knowledge of the official answer in hand, but third-party material is not always the most reliable, and I have even seen at least one such question in which a moderator changed the official answer after conceding a point to a debater. Regardless, I am not afraid of being wrong on this one. I would choose (A) any day of the week. If someone else wants to come along and disprove (A), then so be it, but for now, I would call it the best of the lot for reasons outlined above.

Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [1]
Given Kudos: 296
Send PM
Re: In Shengzhou, among the most prolific regions in Zhejiang province in [#permalink]
Kudos
PTD1995 wrote:
Explanation please :)

According to the explanation provided by E-gmat :

Option A is incorrect because :
The comma + verb-ing modifier indicating… does not make sense with the subject of the modified verb. The handicrafts do not indicate anything.

I posted this question because I don't necessarily agree with the same. I had marked option A too.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 889 [1]
Given Kudos: 354
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V38
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Kudos
rheam25 wrote:
PTD1995 wrote:
Explanation please :)

According to the explanation provided by E-gmat :

Option A is incorrect because :
The comma + verb-ing modifier indicating… does not make sense with the subject of the modified verb. The handicrafts do not indicate anything.

I posted this question because I don't necessarily agree with the same. I had marked option A too.

rheam25 :- First of all, its not the subject of the modified verb that has to go with Comma + verb-ing. The doer of the action needs to make sense with comma + verb-ing. Here "handicrafts" is not the doer of the action "are exported". Hence the explanation doesn't make sense.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-

rheam25 wrote:
In Shengzhou, among the most prolific regions in Zhejiang province in eastern China, about 95% of bamboo handicrafts are exported, indicating that selling bamboo, “poor man’s timber”, to Chinese is hard.

E.exports for indicating

Choice A: This answer choice conveys the intended meaning of the sentence. Thus, this answer choice is correct.

Choice B: This answer choice changes the meaning of the sentence to imply that the handicrafts are exported for the purpose of indicating that selling bamboo to the Chinese is hard, as evidenced by the use of the phrase "exported to". Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice C: This answer choice changes the meaning of the sentence to imply that the "exports" themselves, rather than the level of exports, are what indicate that selling bamboo to the Chinese is hard. Moreover, the pronoun "that" is used in two different contexts; it refers to the noun "exports" and serves as a helping word to the verb "selling". Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice D: This answer choice fails to provide a subject of any kind for the verb "indicating" to act upon, rendering the sentence incomplete. Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice E: This answer choice repeats the meaning-related error found in Option B, due to the use of the phrase "for indicating". Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Hence, A is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Avoiding Pronoun Ambiguity on GMAT", you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Volunteer Expert
Expert Reply
Thank you, rheam25, for posting the explanation. Likewise, thank you, shameekv1989, for your thoughtful comments. All I can say is that you have to remember, you can only judge a question by what is on the screen (or on the page, as it were), NOT by what you want to be there. I am guessing the question was created with a grammatical concept in mind, but then something got lost in the mix, and cutting a single word from option (D) made it nonsensical when it was supposed to be the correct answer.

Kudos from me. You both deserve it. Happy studies.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Send PM
Should there be a "that" at the end of option D? "a metric indicating that"

Posted from my mobile device
Volunteer Expert
Expert Reply
ajaymahadev wrote:
Should there be a "that" at the end of option D? "a metric indicating that"

Posted from my mobile device

There should be to make the option grammatically correct, but as written, the lack of that makes it easy to toss aside. There could have been a transcription error, but we can only guess.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Send PM
Hi,

Could you please let me know which one is correct? A or D?
In D, I see that there is no "that" after indicating which I believe is wrong.
Please help me.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 94
Send PM
n Shengzhou, among the most prolific regions in Zhejiang province in eastern China, about 95% of bamboo handicrafts are exported, indicating that selling bamboo, ???poor man???s timber???, to Chinese is hard.

E.exports for indicating

why all are saying that option A is correct?
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
aarushisingla wrote:
Hi,

Could you please let me know which one is correct? A or D?
In D, I see that there is no "that" after indicating which I believe is wrong.
Please help me.

Hi

Here is my understanding of the question

UNDERSTANDING INTENDED MEANING

Let’ break the sentence to derive the intended meaning, identifying the errors along the way:

In Shengzhou, among the most prolific regions in Zhejiang province in eastern China,
about 95% of bamboo handicrafts are exported,
indicating that

selling bamboo, “poor man’s timber”, to Chinese is hard.

There are no errors:

1. The “ing” verbal “indicating” is separated from the preceding clause by a comma. This means that “indicating” is modifying the verb “are exported” in the preceding clause. Thus, the fact that 95% of bamboo handicrafts are exported indicates something

2. Note: “That” is used after “indicating” since there is a clause –“ selling bamboo, “poor man’s timber”, to Chinese is hard”. In choice D, this "that" is missing, making the choice incorrect.

3. No “that” would be required if “indicating” was followed by just a noun – this is not the case here.

INTENDED MEANING
• Shengzhou is among the most prolific regions in Zhejiang province in eastern China.
• In Shengzhou, about 95% of bamboo handicrafts are exported.
• The fact that 95% of bamboo handicrafts are exported indicates that selling bamboo, to Chinese is hard –
• Bamboo is known as “poor man’s timber”

Choice A brings out the intended meaning clearly and logically.

Hope this helps :)

Originally posted by GMATWhizTeam on 13 Feb 2020, 21:48.
Last edited by GMATWhizTeam on 13 Feb 2020, 21:54, edited 1 time in total.
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
Nidhijain94 wrote:
n Shengzhou, among the most prolific regions in Zhejiang province in eastern China, about 95% of bamboo handicrafts are exported, indicating that selling bamboo, ???poor man???s timber???, to Chinese is hard.

E.exports for indicating

why all are saying that option A is correct?

Hi Nidhi

Please check out my reply to Arushisingla. Hope it helps :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 745 [2]
Given Kudos: 108
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41 (Online)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi @E-gmat experts. Can you please explain the OA for this ! i marked A as D didn't have that after indicating.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Sentence Correction (EA only) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
Current Student
278 posts