Last visit was: 06 May 2024, 01:53 It is currently 06 May 2024, 01:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [9]
Given Kudos: 62
GPA: 4
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 621540 [2]
Given Kudos: 81765
Send PM
General Discussion
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7648 [2]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 297
Send PM
Re: In the game of basketball, scoring a three-point shot is a skill that [#permalink]
MatooCrackVerbal wrote:
Quote:
In the game of basketball, scoring a three-point shot is a skill that only those with a soft shooting touch can develop. Wilt Chamberlain, however, was a great player, so even though he did not have a soft shooting touch he would have excelled at scoring three point shots.

Which one of the following contains a flaw that most closely parallels the flaw contained in the passage?

(A) Eighty percent of the freshmen at Berkeley go on to get a bachelor’s degree. David is a freshman at Berkeley, so he will probably complete his studies and receive a bachelor’s degree.

(B) If the police don’t act immediately to quell the disturbance, it will escalate into a riot. However, since the police are understaffed, there will be a riot.

(C) The meek shall inherit the earth. Susie received an inheritance from her grandfather, so she must be meek.

(D) During the Vietnam War, the powerful had to serve along with the poor. However, Stevens’ father was a federal judge, so Stevens was able to get a draft deferment.

(E) All dolphins are mammals and all mammals breathe air. Therefore, all mammals that breathe air are dolphins.

The right answer here is D. Such questions ask us about the structure of the argument, and there are two things that we must consider when solving them.
1. It is easily to correlate complicated differing situations when you can express the argument,net in terms of x and y.
2. Even though the question asks us about a flaw, it doesn’t actually matter whether you find it. All you need to do is ensure that the same reasoning followed in the question is followed in the options.

The argument is as follows: without X (soft hands), Y (3 pointers) is not possible. But Z (Chamberlain) is special, so Y is possible.

The only option that shows an exception to the rule is D. It follows the logic of without peace (X), skipping the draft (Y) is not possible. But Z is special, so Y happened anyway.

- Matoo

Hey! I understand your explanation, but even B offers that comparison.
I don't know how to eliminate B. Can you explain further?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 600 Q49 V22
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V34
Send PM
Re: In the game of basketball, scoring a three-point shot is a skill that [#permalink]
SPatel1992 wrote:
MatooCrackVerbal wrote:
Quote:
In the game of basketball, scoring a three-point shot is a skill that only those with a soft shooting touch can develop. Wilt Chamberlain, however, was a great player, so even though he did not have a soft shooting touch he would have excelled at scoring three point shots.

Which one of the following contains a flaw that most closely parallels the flaw contained in the passage?

(A) Eighty percent of the freshmen at Berkeley go on to get a bachelor’s degree. David is a freshman at Berkeley, so he will probably complete his studies and receive a bachelor’s degree.

(B) If the police don’t act immediately to quell the disturbance, it will escalate into a riot. However, since the police are understaffed, there will be a riot.

(C) The meek shall inherit the earth. Susie received an inheritance from her grandfather, so she must be meek.

(D) During the Vietnam War, the powerful had to serve along with the poor. However, Stevens’ father was a federal judge, so Stevens was able to get a draft deferment.

(E) All dolphins are mammals and all mammals breathe air. Therefore, all mammals that breathe air are dolphins.

The right answer here is D. Such questions ask us about the structure of the argument, and there are two things that we must consider when solving them.
1. It is easily to correlate complicated differing situations when you can express the argument,net in terms of x and y.
2. Even though the question asks us about a flaw, it doesn’t actually matter whether you find it. All you need to do is ensure that the same reasoning followed in the question is followed in the options.

The argument is as follows: without X (soft hands), Y (3 pointers) is not possible. But Z (Chamberlain) is special, so Y is possible.

The only option that shows an exception to the rule is D. It follows the logic of without peace (X), skipping the draft (Y) is not possible. But Z is special, so Y happened anyway.

- Matoo

Hey! I understand your explanation, but even B offers that comparison.
I don't know how to eliminate B. Can you explain further?

Hey, Let me try and explain
Because of X, Y happens. But Z caused Y in a special case
Option D follows this pattern
When we look at option B, it follows a somewhat different pattern. It says
If X (action of police) does not happen, Y (riot) will happen. Since X (action of police) CANNOT happen (because of any reason), Y (Riot) is bound to happen
No third element Z is introduced here which may cause Y

Hope this helps
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
WE:Law (Law)
Send PM
Bookmarks
The error inherent in the argument presented in the question stem is the error of contradiction. While on one hand it is argued that soft shooting touch is essential to obtain a three point score skill; on the other hand, it is mentioned that Wilt Chamberlain would have had three point scoring skill, despite the soft shooting touch.

Let us look at the reasoning flaws with each of the options:-

(A) Eighty percent of the freshmen at Berkeley go on to get a bachelor’s degree. David is a freshman at Berkeley, so he will probably complete his studies and receive a bachelor’s degree.- Error of probability. In fact, there is nothing wrong with the argument per se.

(B) If the police don’t act immediately to quell the disturbance, it will escalate into a riot. However, since the police are understaffed, there will be a riot.- Bringing in new consideration to make the point. Firstly, the arguer says that escalation of riot is contingent upon police not acting immediately and then brings into discussion new consideration of strength of police.

(C) The meek shall inherit the earth. Susie received an inheritance from her grandfather, so she must be meek.- Confusing the "earth" with "inheritance". So, the error is increase in scope.

(D) During the Vietnam War, the powerful had to serve along with the poor. However, Stevens’ father was a federal judge, so Stevens was able to get a draft deferment.- The error of contradiction.On one hand you say powerful had to serve with poor; on the other hand, Stevens could get a deferment.

(E) All dolphins are mammals and all mammals breathe air. Therefore, all mammals that breathe air are dolphins.- The error in reasoning found in this argument is equating "all mammals" with "all dolphins" and thereby limiting the scope of the "dolphins"
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
In the game of basketball, scoring a three-point shot is a skill that [#permalink]
Quote:

Because of X, Y happens. But Z caused Y in a special case

I am not able to find how draft deferment (Y) is serving along with poor (Y)?
I even can't understand draft deferment is good thing or bad. Poor people have draft deferment or only rich? What is relation of poor or rich with draft deferment?

In B, I could see directly.
Quote:
(B) If the police don’t act immediately to quell the disturbance, it will escalate into a riot. However, since the police are understaffed, there will be a riot.-

X= police don’t act immediately to quell the disturbance
Y= a riot
Z= the police are understaffed

I could see Y clearly on both sides.

Please help to choose D over B CrackVerbalGMAT GMATNinja, GMATNinjaTwo, mira93, nightblade354, carouselambra Kunal112 @
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 441 [3]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
Kudos