Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:33 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619197 [37]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619197 [7]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 280 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 499 [0]
Given Kudos: 98
GMAT 1: 500 Q36 V23
Send PM
Re: Is the slope of Line 1 positive? [#permalink]
(1) Insufficient. Several possibilities for Line 1 and Line 2 to make an angle of 40 degrees.
(2) Insufficient. Clearly insufficient.

(1)+(2) Insufficient . If Line 1 is in the I and III quadrants and makes 40 degree angle with Line 2, the slope of Line 1 is positive. If the Line 1 is in the II and IV quadrants and makes a 40 degree angle with Line 2, the slope of Line 2 is negative.

(I am not sure if it is possible for Line 1 with negative slope to make a 40 degree angle with a Line 2, though..)

Answer E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Schools: Simon '20
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.25
Send PM
My approach is quite simple and mathematical.We can calculate the angle between two lines by below formula

Tan (A-B) =(Tan A -Tan B)/1-2Tan A*TanB)

so from 1 ,angle between A and B is given ----insufficient

from 2 , angle B is given i.e 45 ----insufficient

By combining 1 and 2

we know A-B and also B ,we can calculate A ,though no need to calculate ...if A<90 then slope is + else -
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 538 [3]
Given Kudos: 103
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Is the slope of Line 1 positive?

(1) The angle between Line 1 and Line 2 is 40º.
(2) Line 2 has a slope of 1

Kudos for a correct solution.

MAGOOSH OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

A straightforward prompt.

Statement #1 is intriguing: it gives us a specific angle measure. This is tantalizing, but unfortunately, it is only the angle between Line 1 and Line 2, and that angle could be oriented in any direction. Therefore, we can draw no conclusion about the prompt from this statement alone. Statement #1, by itself, is insufficient.

Statement #2 is also tantalizing, because it’s numerically specific. But, unfortunately, this tells us a lot about Line 2 and zilch about Line one, so this statement is, by itself, is also insufficient.

Now, combine the statements. From statement #2, we know Line 2 has a slope of 1, which means the angle between Line 2 and the positive x-axis is 45º. We know, from statement #1, that Line #1 is 40º away from Line 2. We don’t know which way, above or below Line 2. If Line 1 is steeper than Line 2, it makes an angle of 45º + 40º = 85º with the positive x-axis. If Line 1 is less steep than Line 2, it makes an angle of 45º – 40º = 5º with the positive x-axis. Either way, its angle above the positive x-axis is between 0º and 90º, which means it has a positive slope. The combined statements allow us to give a definitive answer to the prompt question.

Answer = C.

Quick question: When the statement mentions angle between line 1 and line 2, is it always in reference to point of origin? See highlighted. Can you diagrammatically show me how to visualize this? Why can't -see attached- be a possible case?
Attachments

Question.PNG
Question.PNG [ 15.02 KiB | Viewed 8748 times ]

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 354
Send PM
TheMechanic wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Statement #1 is intriguing: it gives us a specific angle measure. This is tantalizing, but unfortunately, it is only the angle between Line 1 and Line 2, and that angle could be oriented in any direction. Therefore, we can draw no conclusion about the prompt from this statement alone. Statement #1, by itself, is insufficient.

Statement #2 is also tantalizing, because it’s numerically specific. But, unfortunately, this tells us a lot about Line 2 and zilch about Line one, so this statement is, by itself, is also insufficient.

Now, combine the statements. From statement #2, we know Line 2 has a slope of 1, which means the angle between Line 2 and the positive x-axis is 45º. We know, from statement #1, that Line #1 is 40º away from Line 2. We don’t know which way, above or below Line 2. If Line 1 is steeper than Line 2, it makes an angle of 45º + 40º = 85º with the positive x-axis. If Line 1 is less steep than Line 2, it makes an angle of 45º – 40º = 5º with the positive x-axis. Either way, its angle above the positive x-axis is between 0º and 90º, which means it has a positive slope. The combined statements allow us to give a definitive answer to the prompt question.

Answer = C.

Quick question: When the statement mentions angle between line 1 and line 2, is it always in reference to point of origin? See highlighted. Can you diagrammatically show me how to visualize this? Why can't -see attached- be a possible case?

Bunuel chetan2u i have the same doubt , can anyone please throw some light on this .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
TheMechanic wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Answer = C.

For Line 1 to have a negative slope, it will need to make at least a 45º angle with Line 2. (assume Line 1 to be parallel to X axis, now it has a 45º angle with line 2. To make line 1 have a negative slope, one needs to increase the angle with line 2 beyond 45º. One can increase this angle up to 135º. Beyond 135º, Line 1 will have a positive slope again.)

Hope this helps!
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
TheMechanic wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Answer = C.

Dear GMATGuruNY

Is not the above diagram a possible solution?
Thanks
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [4]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Mo2men wrote:
Dear GMATGuruNY

Thanks

Statements combined:
From Line 2, Line 1 must be rotated 40 degrees clockwise or 40 degrees counter-clockwise.
If the two lines intersect at the origin, we get:

Each option for Line 1 has a positive slope -- a condition that will hold true no matter where the two lines intersect on the coordinate plane.
Thus, the answer to the question stem is YES.
SUFFICIENT.

RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [1]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Kudos
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Mo2men wrote:
Dear GMATGuruNY

Thanks

Statements combined:
From Line 2, Line 1 must be rotated 40 degrees clockwise or 40 degrees counter-clockwise.
If the two lines intersect at the origin, we get:

Each option for Line 1 has a positive slope -- a condition that will hold true no matter where the two lines intersect on the coordinate plane.
Thus, the answer to the question stem is YES.
SUFFICIENT.

Dear GMATGuruNY

Thanks for your reply.

But here is my question. You says: "If the two lines intersect at the origin"....So here you assumed they both intersect in the origin but nothing in the question says so.

It is still the graph below valid. The intersection is not mandatory to be in origin here. So it rotates 40 degrees from another point in line 2.

Where did I go wrong?

Thanks in advance
Attachments

Question.PNG
Question.PNG [ 6.57 KiB | Viewed 5687 times ]

Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [3]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Mo2men wrote:
But here is my question. You says: "If the two lines intersect at the origin"....So here you assumed they both intersect in the origin but nothing in the question says so.

As mentioned in my post, the result will be the same no matter where the two lines intersect.

Quote:
It is still the graph below valid. The intersection is not mandatory to be in origin here. So it rotates 40 degrees from another point in line 2.

Where did I go wrong?

Thanks in advance

In your drawing, the angle labeled as 40 degrees is actually well over 45 degrees.

In the figure above, the horizontal red line forms a 45 degree angle with Line 2.
Clearly, the angle labeled as 40 degrees is actually far greater than 45 degrees.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92945 posts