Last visit was: 04 May 2024, 21:31 It is currently 04 May 2024, 21:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2854 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 231 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 550 Q44 V23
WE:Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 276
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V25
Send PM
Re: Looking for Advice - Freeze up on CATs [#permalink]
You need to take help of some mind relaxation techniques. Try looking elsewhere...on the seam of your shirt for 5-7 sec....bring back your attention to the screen and then try solving. Ideally it should help you.

You might be getting nervous because of thinking about the end result/score and then anticipating of bad things like freezing to happen which might be hampering your concentration. Try to chuck this feeling and solve it like normal questions you do routinely.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3672 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Top Contributor
Indeed, you're experiencing the psychological aspects of the test - something most test takers overlook.

Remember, it's not just knowledge you are being tested on - it's thinking under prolonged pressure -- think of the test as a marathon and adapt accordingly. It's very easy to run out of steam and then blank out in the middle.

So you should understand that GMAT doesn't necessarily test how smart you are - but instead tests you on a combination of many factors -- of which psychology is one of them.

Take a look at some more tips in our psychology article here what you can do to adjust: https://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-psychology ... trategies/

You can learn more about us at https://www.gmatpill.com/testimonials
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11673 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Classof15USA,

While most questions on the GMAT can be solved in more than one way, there are never that many 'options' when it comes to approaching a prompt - so part of your 'analysis' when it comes to any individual GMAT question should be in terms of which of the possible approaches "fits" what the prompt gives you to work with. To that end, if you've trained properly, then every question you see should remind you of something that you already dealt with during your studies. It might be a math/grammar rule, Number Property, phrase, etc., but your ability to draw on that memory/experience should also help you to see how to approach a new prompt (or potentially get 'unstuck' from a prompt). Certain prompts also just require a bit of 'playing around', so you have to take some notes and try to find a pattern that's built into the information.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Your mindset is really important when taking the exam. Sometimes, you may want to spend additional time on a math question because you believe you can solve it within a certain amount of time. However, if you see the clock ticking and you haven't gotten to a reasonable spot yet, then it may be best to move onto the next question.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4666 [0]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
Classof15USA wrote:
Hey all -

I'm looking for some up. My test date is in a few weeks, and I've been making some improvement. Currently, my CAT scores are at 660. Aiming for that 700.

My main issue I've noticed is not that I don't know the math or run out of time, but rather I can see myself freeze up during the test and can't think of the approach to a quesiton. I was a seasoned test-taker before, but when I work through my wrong questions from my CATs, I see that I can solve them all on the second try!

Any advice for how to address freezing up and thinking creatively under pressure.

Thanks!

W
There will almost always be some questions that you won't get in the time you are given. Be comfortable with letting (some) "points" go.
GMAT Club Bot