GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 May 2019, 12:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Looking for Advice - Freeze up on CATs

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Looking for Advice - Freeze up on CATs  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 05:14
Hey all -

I'm looking for some up. My test date is in a few weeks, and I've been making some improvement. Currently, my CAT scores are at 660. Aiming for that 700.

My main issue I've noticed is not that I don't know the math or run out of time, but rather I can see myself freeze up during the test and can't think of the approach to a quesiton. I was a seasoned test-taker before, but when I work through my wrong questions from my CATs, I see that I can solve them all on the second try!

Any advice for how to address freezing up and thinking creatively under pressure.

Thanks!

W
General GMAT Forum Moderator
V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Looking for Advice - Freeze up on CATs  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 08:58
Classof15USA wrote:
Hey all -

I'm looking for some up. My test date is in a few weeks, and I've been making some improvement. Currently, my CAT scores are at 660. Aiming for that 700.

My main issue I've noticed is not that I don't know the math or run out of time, but rather I can see myself freeze up during the test and can't think of the approach to a quesiton. I was a seasoned test-taker before, but when I work through my wrong questions from my CATs, I see that I can solve them all on the second try!

Any advice for how to address freezing up and thinking creatively under pressure.

Thanks!

W

Hi Classof15USA,
I was facing very similar a problem as yours. After all GMAT is all about thinking quick under pressure. Reworking on my concepts and giving multiple mocks under strict timing conditions really helped me out. I believe a subscription to GMATCLUB tests may be helpful. They contain 26 CATS for Quant. They are indeed phenomenal and will not only pinpoint your weak areas but also help you improve on them. Make sure to take one test per day leading to your exam and you will not be disappointed.

Hope this helps. All the best.
G
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 550 Q44 V23
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 09:52
Hi,
My advise is to take the GMAT like a mind game. Think like Sherlock Holmes and find the missing piece to get your answer. I actually do the same ....and I don't feel under pressure...
Hope this helps
All the best...

Sent from my MI PAD using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
B
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V25
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 10:12
You need to take help of some mind relaxation techniques. Try looking elsewhere...on the seam of your shirt for 5-7 sec....bring back your attention to the screen and then try solving. Ideally it should help you.

You might be getting nervous because of thinking about the end result/score and then anticipating of bad things like freezing to happen which might be hampering your concentration. Try to chuck this feeling and solve it like normal questions you do routinely.
SVP
SVP
G

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 12:45
Top Contributor
Indeed, you're experiencing the psychological aspects of the test - something most test takers overlook.

Remember, it's not just knowledge you are being tested on - it's thinking under prolonged pressure -- think of the test as a marathon and adapt accordingly. It's very easy to run out of steam and then blank out in the middle.

So you should understand that GMAT doesn't necessarily test how smart you are - but instead tests you on a combination of many factors -- of which psychology is one of them.

Take a look at some more tips in our psychology article here what you can do to adjust: http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-psychology ... trategies/

You can learn more about us at http://www.gmatpill.com/testimonials
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2017, 11:35
Hi Classof15USA,

While most questions on the GMAT can be solved in more than one way, there are never that many 'options' when it comes to approaching a prompt - so part of your 'analysis' when it comes to any individual GMAT question should be in terms of which of the possible approaches "fits" what the prompt gives you to work with. To that end, if you've trained properly, then every question you see should remind you of something that you already dealt with during your studies. It might be a math/grammar rule, Number Property, phrase, etc., but your ability to draw on that memory/experience should also help you to see how to approach a new prompt (or potentially get 'unstuck' from a prompt). Certain prompts also just require a bit of 'playing around', so you have to take some notes and try to find a pattern that's built into the information.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2017, 15:46
Your mindset is really important when taking the exam. Sometimes, you may want to spend additional time on a math question because you believe you can solve it within a certain amount of time. However, if you see the clock ticking and you haven't gotten to a reasonable spot yet, then it may be best to move onto the next question.
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2017, 22:11
Classof15USA wrote:
Hey all -

Thanks!

W
There will almost always be some questions that you won't get in the time you are given. Be comfortable with letting (some) "points" go.
Re: Looking for Advice - Freeze up on CATs   [#permalink] 09 Jul 2017, 22:11

Looking for Advice - Freeze up on CATs

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap