GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Jul 2018, 15:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Many airline carriers are attempting to increase profitability while

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B
Re: Many airline carriers are attempting to increase profitability while  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2017, 11:43
daagh wrote:
E. an equal number as were offered last year,
Why is E is wrong?
Becos, ‘an equal number’ is singular and ‘were offered’ is plural.

Is E not also wrong because the modifier after the comma ",using...." modifies incorrectly the clause that comes before it ?
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Many airline carriers are attempting to increase profitability while  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2017, 02:23
asdfghjklasdfghj wrote:
daagh wrote:
Why is E is wrong?
Becos, ‘an equal number’ is singular and ‘were offered’ is plural.

Is E not also wrong because the modifier after the comma ",using...." modifies incorrectly the clause that comes before it ?

Yes, you are right. Here "using" is wrongly used as a present participle modifier. Option D is the OA. Here "using" is not a present participle modifier, but a gerund parallel to "offering". These two gerunds are joined by the conjunction "but". The structure in D is as follows:

.. by offering but using..
Expert Post
Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2017, 04:31
Top Contributor
asdfghjklasdfghj

E as expanded

Many airline carriers are attempting to increase profitability while keeping overhead low by offering, in terms of flights, an equal number as were offered last year, using larger planes that fly more efficiently.

You wrote

Quote:

To delve into this further, can you kindly clarify what exactly is the previous clause you are referring to and what the subject and verb of that clause are.

As far as I see, there is only one clause in the topic namely, " Many airline carriers are attempting to increase profitability" and the rest are all a bundle of nested modifiers that modify the airline carriers and their efforts to increase profitability in the end.
So, what is the hitch in the modification, please?

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2017, 04:41
daagh wrote:
asdfghjklasdfghj

E as expanded

Many airline carriers are attempting to increase profitability while keeping overhead low by offering, in terms of flights, an equal number as were offered last year, using larger planes that fly more efficiently.

You wrote

Quote:

To delve into this further, can you kindly clarify what exactly is the previous clause you are referring to and what the subject and verb of that clause are.

As far as I see, there is only one clause in the topic namely, " Many airline carriers are attempting to increase profitability" and the rest are all a bundle of nested modifiers that modify the airline carriers and their efforts to increase profitability in the end.
So, what is the hitch in the modification, please?

I see what you mean.. What you're saying makes total sense. I can see that using as a VERB-ING modifier for "Many airline carriers are attempting to increase profitability" makes sense.
So we reject E because of the faults:

1. an equal number and "were" (plural) do not go along together
2. We are using "were" in the answer choice, but we do not have a form of "be" in the part before

Is that correct ? Thanks for the insights, I appreciate them
Expert Post
Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2017, 07:35
Top Contributor
asdfghjklasdfghj wrote

Quote:
I see what you mean. What you're saying makes total sense. I can see that using as a VERB-ING modifier for "Many airline carriers are attempting to increase profitability" makes sense.
So we reject E because of the faults:

1. an equal number and "were" (plural) do not go along together
2. We are using "were" in the answer choice, but we do not have a form of "be" in the part before

Is that correct? Thanks for the insights, I appreciate them

Yes. You are right..Since the first part is in active voice and the second part in passive voice, this is going against //ism. For this reason, even 'was offered ' might be wrong, strictly speaking. Perhaps one might say,
"Many airline carriers are attempting to increase profitability while keeping overhead low by offering, in terms of flights, an equal number (as) they offered last year, using larger planes that fly more efficiently"

Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2017, 00:08
daagh wrote:
Perhaps one might say,
"Many airline carriers are attempting to increase profitability while keeping overhead low by offering, in terms of flights, an equal number (as) they offered last year, using larger planes that fly more efficiently"

I feel this is saying that

they offered last year, using larger planes that fly more efficiently

This is suggesting that last year, they used larger planes. The sentence wants to say that this year, they used larger planes.

Is my understanding correct?
Expert Post
Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2017, 00:41
Top Contributor
I am afraid not. If the larger planes were used last year, then the profitability would have been higher last year. How will they use smaller planes this year and still lift the profitability? It might help to remember that last year essentially modifies the number of flights. That is the difference between setting off with the comma and not setting off, the essence of adverbial modification.

Narendran +9198845 44509

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2017, 12:00
Many airline carriers are attempting to increase profitability while keeping overhead low by offering, in terms of flights,an equal amount as last year, doing so by using larger planes that fly more efficiently.

A. an equal amount as last year,doing so by
B. the same number offered last year
C. an equal amount offered last year and
D. the same number as last year but

Amount:when the entity is not countable or abstract noun.
Number:when the entity is countable
(eg money not countable:amount,Dollars is countable:number)
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2017, 14:09
sagarnamo1 wrote:
Subject: Many airline carriers are attempting to increase

Sir,please explain why b is wrong here

The meaning is changed - option B implies that larger planes were used last year, but the intended meaning is that larger planes are used this year.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2017, 02:09
Revenge2014 wrote:
Many airline carriers are attempting to increase profitability while keeping overhead low by offering, in terms of flights,an equal amount as last year, doing so by using larger planes that fly more efficiently.

A. an equal amount as last year,doing so by
B. the same number offered last year
C. an equal amount offered last year and

I am confused where to use amount and when to use number?

this question test the use of "the same ... as".

"the same ... as" is different from other comparisons. the pattern with " the same ...as" alway give us the feeling that the sentence is wrong.
we do not say,
I have the same pen as your pen.
but we say
I have the same pen as you. (this dose not mean "pen" is compared with "you". in this correct pattern, there is no preposition after "as" and we get the feel that the sentence is wrong. this point is the reason for which I say this pattern is different from other comparisons.

I am stronger in summer than in winter. I am better at gmat than he is
Here, we have "in" before "winter" and "is" in second clause and so, we realize quickly that the sentence is correct because comparison elements have prepositions or helping verbs which make those elements clear.

so, definitely "the same as last year", " the same as you" are all correct. and remember, in "the same ...as" pattern, we normally do not have preposition and helping verb, and, so, the absence is the reason for which you feel the sentence is wrong.

in short, the absence of preposition or helping verb is specialty of the pattern "the same ...as".

give me kudos, if you like it.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2017, 10:12
Could someone please provide details on the use of "as" in D?

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I understand this comparison as an application of ellipsis method:

...while keeping overhead low by offering, in terms of flights, an equal amount as [keeping overhead low by offering] last year, but using larger planes that fly more efficiently
Expert Post
Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2017, 10:45
Top Contributor
Serega
I find a slight confusion in your query. Your query is about choice D and there is nothing as an equal amount as last year in D. It only says the same number as last year. Are you referring to C? If you say that choice D stands on ellipsis, can you please state what are the appropriate words that are elided. This may help us to understand your query more clearly.

Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2017, 12:49
daagh

Thank you for reply

I mean the use of "as"in D answer choice:
Is there any idiom of same as
or
is "as" used for comparison?

Thank you
Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2017, 11:58
SeregaP wrote:
Could someone please provide details on the use of "as" in D?

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I understand this comparison as an application of ellipsis method:

...while keeping overhead low by offering, in terms of flights, an equal amount as [keeping overhead low by offering] last year, but using larger planes that fly more efficiently

I'm not 100% sure that I'm interpreting your question correctly, but here is the sentence using choice (D):

"Many airline carriers are attempting to increase profitability while keeping overhead low by offering, in terms of flights, the same number as last year but using larger planes that fly more efficiently."

The "as" construction compares the number of flights, not the amount of keeping overhead low (i.e. "... keeping overhead low by offering the same number [of flights] as last year). In other words, the number of flights offered in the present year is equal to the number of flights offered last year.

I hope this helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2018, 19:33
GMATNinja wrote:
I'm not 100% sure that I'm interpreting your question correctly, but here is the sentence using choice (D):

"Many airline carriers are attempting to increase profitability while keeping overhead low by offering, in terms of flights, the same number as last year but using larger planes that fly more efficiently."

The "as" construction compares the number of flights, not the amount of keeping overhead low (i.e. "... keeping overhead low by offering the same number [of flights] as last year). In other words, the number of flights offered in the present year is equal to the number of flights offered last year.

I hope this helps!

Hello GMATNinja!

In option D aren't we comparing the same number with last year ??
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V32
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2018, 02:07
Here is my analysis,
Firstly, we are talking about the number of flights, which is countable and hence options A and C are out. (Both of them use "amount")
Option B: the same number offered last year using larger planes that can..... There is a clear shift in meaning here. "Using larger planes..." now modifies "Last year". However, the original sentence wants to communicate that it is the current year when the airlines are using larger planes.
Option E: an equal number as were offered last year : This choice has a clear pronoun number disagreement. It uses "were" to compare itself with a singular noun "an equal number". Eliminate option E
Option D: Remember at this point, we have eliminated all the remaining choices successfully. In real GMAT, at this point it's better to select it and move on than to ponder about why should it be a correct answer. Assuming that now you are doing a thorough review of your mock, you need to know precisely why is this the correct option!

My opinion: At first glance, the choice might seem to have a comparison error. However, when I re-read the complete answer, I could justify the choice as correct. The sentence uses "by offering, in terms of flights," to make it clear that we are comparing the number of flight and nothing else. Hence, in strictly meaning perspective, this choice is sufficiently clear.
Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2018, 23:18
Many airline carriers are attempting to increase profitability while keeping overhead low by offering, in terms of flights, an equal amount as last year, doing so by using larger planes that fly more efficiently.

A. an equal amount as last year,doing so by -- usage of amount is incorrect
B. the same number offered last year -- changes meaning -- the same number offered last year using larger planes changes the meaning
C. an equal amount offered last year and -- usage of amount is incorrect
E. an equal number as were offered last year, - number is singular and were is plural

In OA - D , aren't we comparing the same number as last year ?
Also, for ellipsis , isn't it necessary that the elided part is present in verbatim form earlier in the sentence ?

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , egmat , sayantanc2k , DmitryFarber , MagooshExpert , RonPurewal , mikemcgarry , daagh -- please enlighten

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2018, 20:24
Skywalker18 wrote:
Many airline carriers are attempting to increase profitability while keeping overhead low by offering, in terms of flights, an equal amount as last year, doing so by using larger planes that fly more efficiently.

A. an equal amount as last year,doing so by -- usage of amount is incorrect
B. the same number offered last year -- changes meaning -- the same number offered last year using larger planes changes the meaning
C. an equal amount offered last year and -- usage of amount is incorrect
E. an equal number as were offered last year, - number is singular and were is plural

In OA - D , aren't we comparing the same number as last year ?
Also, for ellipsis , isn't it necessary that the elided part is present in verbatim form earlier in the sentence ?

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , egmat , sayantanc2k , DmitryFarber , MagooshExpert , RonPurewal , mikemcgarry , daagh -- please enlighten

Hi Skywalker18!

Here, the comparison is between the number of flights this year and the number of flights last year. Some of those words are omitted for clarity, but there is no problem with the construction :-) See victory47's post earlier for an explanation of the comparison here!

-Carolyn

Magoosh Test Prep

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2018, 10:24
Hello Skywalker18,

Thank you for the PM on this one. :-)

Let's take a look at the sentence with the correct answer choice: Many airline carriers are attempting to increase profitability while keeping overhead low by offering, in terms of flights, the same number as last year but using larger planes that fly more efficiently.

Pay attention to the phrase in terms of flights in the non-underlined portion of the sentence. This phrase already implies that the same number pertains to the same number of flights. The phrase of flights is already present in the sentence.

The same usage is applicable to the phrase last year that actually implies the number of flights lat year.

So you see all the words elided in Choice D is already present in the sentence.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Re: Many airline carriers are attempting to increase profitability while &nbs [#permalink] 04 Apr 2018, 10:24

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 39 posts ] 

Many airline carriers are attempting to increase profitability while

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap