GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 May 2019, 18:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Many airline carriers are attempting to increase profitability while

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
S
Re: Many airline carriers are attempting to increase profitability while  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2017, 02:09
Revenge2014 wrote:
Many airline carriers are attempting to increase profitability while keeping overhead low by offering, in terms of flights,an equal amount as last year, doing so by using larger planes that fly more efficiently.

A. an equal amount as last year,doing so by
B. the same number offered last year
C. an equal amount offered last year and
D. the same number as last year but
E. an equal number as were offered last year,

I am confused where to use amount and when to use number?

this question test the use of "the same ... as".

"the same ... as" is different from other comparisons. the pattern with " the same ...as" alway give us the feeling that the sentence is wrong.
we do not say,
I have the same pen as your pen.
but we say
I have the same pen as you. (this dose not mean "pen" is compared with "you". in this correct pattern, there is no preposition after "as" and we get the feel that the sentence is wrong. this point is the reason for which I say this pattern is different from other comparisons.

I am stronger in summer than in winter. I am better at gmat than he is
Here, we have "in" before "winter" and "is" in second clause and so, we realize quickly that the sentence is correct because comparison elements have prepositions or helping verbs which make those elements clear.

so, definitely "the same as last year", " the same as you" are all correct. and remember, in "the same ...as" pattern, we normally do not have preposition and helping verb, and, so, the absence is the reason for which you feel the sentence is wrong.

in short, the absence of preposition or helping verb is specialty of the pattern "the same ...as".

give me kudos, if you like it.
Manager
Manager
S
Re: Many airline carriers are attempting to increase profitability while  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2017, 10:12
Could someone please provide details on the use of "as" in D?

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I understand this comparison as an application of ellipsis method:

...while keeping overhead low by offering, in terms of flights, an equal amount as [keeping overhead low by offering] last year, but using larger planes that fly more efficiently
Retired Moderator
V
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2017, 10:45
Top Contributor
Serega
I find a slight confusion in your query. Your query is about choice D and there is nothing as an equal amount as last year in D. It only says the same number as last year. Are you referring to C? If you say that choice D stands on ellipsis, can you please state what are the appropriate words that are elided. This may help us to understand your query more clearly.
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2017, 11:58
SeregaP wrote:
Could someone please provide details on the use of "as" in D?

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I understand this comparison as an application of ellipsis method:

...while keeping overhead low by offering, in terms of flights, an equal amount as [keeping overhead low by offering] last year, but using larger planes that fly more efficiently

I'm not 100% sure that I'm interpreting your question correctly, but here is the sentence using choice (D):

"Many airline carriers are attempting to increase profitability while keeping overhead low by offering, in terms of flights, the same number as last year but using larger planes that fly more efficiently."

The "as" construction compares the number of flights, not the amount of keeping overhead low (i.e. "... keeping overhead low by offering the same number [of flights] as last year). In other words, the number of flights offered in the present year is equal to the number of flights offered last year.

I hope this helps!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal
Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2018, 23:18
Many airline carriers are attempting to increase profitability while keeping overhead low by offering, in terms of flights, an equal amount as last year, doing so by using larger planes that fly more efficiently.

A. an equal amount as last year,doing so by -- usage of amount is incorrect
B. the same number offered last year -- changes meaning -- the same number offered last year using larger planes changes the meaning
C. an equal amount offered last year and -- usage of amount is incorrect
E. an equal number as were offered last year, - number is singular and were is plural

In OA - D , aren't we comparing the same number as last year ?
Also, for ellipsis , isn't it necessary that the elided part is present in verbatim form earlier in the sentence ?

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , egmat , sayantanc2k , DmitryFarber , MagooshExpert , RonPurewal , mikemcgarry , daagh -- please enlighten
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2018, 20:24
Skywalker18 wrote:
Many airline carriers are attempting to increase profitability while keeping overhead low by offering, in terms of flights, an equal amount as last year, doing so by using larger planes that fly more efficiently.

A. an equal amount as last year,doing so by -- usage of amount is incorrect
B. the same number offered last year -- changes meaning -- the same number offered last year using larger planes changes the meaning
C. an equal amount offered last year and -- usage of amount is incorrect
E. an equal number as were offered last year, - number is singular and were is plural

In OA - D , aren't we comparing the same number as last year ?
Also, for ellipsis , isn't it necessary that the elided part is present in verbatim form earlier in the sentence ?

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , egmat , sayantanc2k , DmitryFarber , MagooshExpert , RonPurewal , mikemcgarry , daagh -- please enlighten

Hi Skywalker18!

Here, the comparison is between the number of flights this year and the number of flights last year. Some of those words are omitted for clarity, but there is no problem with the construction :-) See victory47's post earlier for an explanation of the comparison here!

-Carolyn

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2018, 10:24
Hello Skywalker18,

Thank you for the PM on this one. :-)

Let's take a look at the sentence with the correct answer choice: Many airline carriers are attempting to increase profitability while keeping overhead low by offering, in terms of flights, the same number as last year but using larger planes that fly more efficiently.

Pay attention to the phrase in terms of flights in the non-underlined portion of the sentence. This phrase already implies that the same number pertains to the same number of flights. The phrase of flights is already present in the sentence.

The same usage is applicable to the phrase last year that actually implies the number of flights lat year.

So you see all the words elided in Choice D is already present in the sentence.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
B
GMAT 1: 460 Q42 V14
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2018, 07:18
Subtle and interesting split.

Number ----- number of flights.
Amount-------its not the price of ticket by which they want to increase the profitability.

If you check from B and D you can get the solution by meaning.
D is the winner!
Manager

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2019, 02:13
Since ‘flights’ is quantifiable, we will use ‘number’ not ‘amount’. So B D and E are our options.

E is badly constructed and very awkward, so its not a great choice.

In B ‘using’ ends up modifying ‘year’, which is wrong.

D is error free and very clear.

D it is.
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 620 Q37 V38
GMAT 2: 640 Q36 V41
GMAT 3: 650 Q42 V38
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 570 Q31 V38

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2019, 17:33
daagh wrote:
Sukanyar
Hi

Possibly B is missing the finish by a whisker; probably a comma before using would have set the original intent intact.
With regard to the second point: Please look at the following clause:
No father understands the child as much as the mother. This can be interpreted as
1. No father understands the child as much as the mother does (or)
2. No father understands the child as much as he understands the mother.
The point is that there is a potential risk of misinterpretation. The risk of misinterpretation is not so much when you compare one with one's own self. But the problem arises when you compare two different entities.

This what I meant when I said ---One more potentially dubious meaning of D’s faulty comparison is that ‘the same number’ is compared with what last year offered. In that case, we are wrongly comparing the number of what the airlines are offering with what the last year offered. ---

Hello, can you or anyone on here clarify if B loses out also possibly due to redundancy. My reason for thinking this is because the sentence would read "....are OFFERING, in terms of flights, the same number offered last year. I understand that B is out because it can be interpreted illogically that the number offered last year was with the aid of larger planes., but offering....offered jumped out at me as redundant.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2019, 03:50
GMATNinja VeritasKarishma generis
Since the sentence at its outset makes it clear that the profitability has increased from last year and also mentions using larger planes that fly more efficiently...is the BUT as the comparison marker really necessary here? I picked B as it seemed to be clear enough..

Plz shed ur thoughts
Thanks!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2019, 09:45
Hi guys , I understand that B is wrong , because it changes the meaning ,
I want to ask in general : let's assueme that b is : the same number offered last year , using ,,,,,

can we use "the same number offered last year" without any comparision markers ?
daagh
Thanks ,
Retired Moderator
V
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2019, 06:04
Top Contributor
Mike,

After all, it is the same number of flights, which itself means some comparison. The meaning is also clear. Therefore, the need for a comparator may not be necessary in this case.
But you might see that B is wrong mainly for not using the transition marker 'but'.
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2019, 10:14
Isnt comma + verb-ing modifier used to modify the action in the previous sentence? In this case, in option B, "using" would modify "are attemption", which is incorrect? Option D is better because "using" becomes a verb and takes on the subject "many airline carriers".
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2019, 11:31
jyotsnamahajan wrote:
Isnt comma + verb-ing modifier used to modify the action in the previous sentence? In this case, in option B, "using" would modify "are attemption", which is incorrect? Option D is better because "using" becomes a verb and takes on the subject "many airline carriers".
Option B doesn't have a comma before using.

Many airline carriers are attempting to increase profitability while keeping overhead low by offering, in terms of flights, the same number offered last year using larger planes that fly more efficiently.

Option D is:

Many airline carriers are attempting to increase profitability while keeping overhead low by offering, in terms of flights, the same number as last year but using larger planes that fly more efficiently.
B

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2019, 22:39
Revenge2014 wrote:

(A) an equal amount as last year, doing so by

(B) the same number offered last year

(C) an equal amount offered last year and

(D) the same number as last year but

(E) an equal number as were offered last year,

VeritasKarishma GMATNinja

I am still thinking that B is better.

In D we are comparing "the same number " with "last year" which is illogical.

In E "an equal number " is singular so "as were" should not be used.

Could you please explain why option D is better than the option B ?
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2019, 15:02
Revenge2014 wrote:

VeritasKarishma GMATNinja chetan2u

Can you please explain as to why option B is incorrect ?
Manager
Manager
B
Many airline carriers are attempting to increase profitability while  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2019, 15:12
sayan640 wrote:
Revenge2014 wrote:

VeritasKarishma GMATNinja chetan2u

Can you please explain as to why option B is incorrect ?

Option B is like this :-

Many airline carriers are attempting to increase profitability while keeping overhead low by offering, in terms of flights, the same number offered last year using larger planes that fly more efficiently.

Now , there is no comma between 'last year' and ' using larger planes that fly more efficiently" . When there is no comma between the comma+verb-ing modifier and the preceding noun , the modifier modifies the preceding noun. So in this case , ' using larger planes that fly more efficiently" is the modifier and it will modify the preceding noun "year". It becomes nonsensical. So option B is incorrect.

Please let me know if my reasoning is correct.

VeritasKarishma , chetan2u , GMATNinja

egmat mikemcgarry
GMAT Club Bot
Many airline carriers are attempting to increase profitability while   [#permalink] 04 May 2019, 15:12

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 38 posts ] 

Many airline carriers are attempting to increase profitability while

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap