Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 15 Jul 2019, 13:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Many airline carriers are attempting to increase profitability while

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Many airline carriers are attempting to increase profitability while  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2019, 05:59
energetics wrote:
X doing stuff by offering, in terms of flights, an equal amount as last year, doing so by using larger planes that fly more efficiently.

1) Countable vs. uncountable: flights are a countable quantity, so we use number and not amount
(A) an equal amount as last year, doing so by
(C) an equal amount offered last year and

GMATNinja is the following reasoning for eliminating B/E and picking D sound?
2) Meaning: changes the meaning of the sentence, makes it seem like they used the larger planes last year.
(B) the same number offered last year [using larger planes...]
(E) an equal number as were offered last year [using larger planes...]

(D) the same number as last year but [using larger planes...]
The addition of fanboys coordinating conjunction "but" makes it certain that the simple gerund "using..." applies to what they are doing differently this year, rather than what they did last year.

energetics, yes, that looks great. And more importantly: awesome profile pic! :thumbup:

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Many airline carriers are attempting to increase profitability while  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2019, 21:40
sayantanc2k wrote:
asdfghjklasdfghj wrote:
daagh wrote:
E. an equal number as were offered last year,
Why is E is wrong?
Becos, ‘an equal number’ is singular and ‘were offered’ is plural.

Is E not also wrong because the modifier after the comma ",using...." modifies incorrectly the clause that comes before it ?

Yes, you are right. Here "using" is wrongly used as a present participle modifier. Option D is the OA. Here "using" is not a present participle modifier, but a gerund parallel to "offering". These two gerunds are joined by the conjunction "but". The structure in D is as follows:

.. by offering but using..

i crossed choice D thinking that In D, "same number compared to last year" (wrong comparison).

can you please explain how the above comparison is valid ?
Intern
Intern
B
Many airline carriers are attempting to increase profitability while  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2019, 11:03
Hi GMATNinja, egmat, @veritasprepkarishma, daagh

I just have one isn't whenever as is used for comparison it should follow with a verb which is the case in E (although E is wrong because 'were' is plural)
Intern
B
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2019, 05:53
EducationAisle

For D to make a comparison, don't we need a clause after "as"? "as" can only be used for comparison if it is a clause. This is satisfied by choice "E" where ellipses is on the noun but verb is present. Plus isn't verb-ing modifier "using" correct since it modifies the whole clause and the do-er of the action is the subject?

Thank you
Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2019, 07:03
daagh wrote:
asdfghjklasdfghj wrote

Quote:
I see what you mean. What you're saying makes total sense. I can see that using as a VERB-ING modifier for "Many airline carriers are attempting to increase profitability" makes sense.
So we reject E because of the faults:

1. an equal number and "were" (plural) do not go along together
2. We are using "were" in the answer choice, but we do not have a form of "be" in the part before

Is that correct? Thanks for the insights, I appreciate them

Yes. You are right..Since the first part is in active voice and the second part in passive voice, this is going against //ism. For this reason, even 'was offered ' might be wrong, strictly speaking. Perhaps one might say,
"Many airline carriers are attempting to increase profitability while keeping overhead low by offering, in terms of flights, an equal number (as) they offered last year, using larger planes that fly more efficiently"

daagh

I would disagree with you that an equal number is singular. The passage explicitly states that an equal number in terms of flights. This is plural. Similarly "A number of students" is plural while "the number of students" is singular.

Can you tell me your opinion?
VP
VP
P
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2019, 07:16
Brego wrote:
For D to make a comparison, don't we need a clause after "as"? "as" can only be used for comparison if it is a clause.

Hi! We absolutely do need a clause after as and the verb (was) is implied here.

This is actually quite common. For example, following would be a correct sentence:

Peter is as clever as his brother.

This is equivalent to:

Peter is as clever as his brother (is).

An official example:

Salt deposits and moisture threaten to destroy the Mohenjo-Daro excavation in Pakistan, the site of an ancient civilization that flourished at the same time as the civilizations in the Nile Delta and the river valleys of the Tigris and Euphrates.

This is equivalent to:

Salt deposits and moisture threaten to destroy the Mohenjo-Daro excavation in Pakistan, the site of an ancient civilization that flourished at the same time as the civilizations in the Nile Delta and the river valleys of the Tigris and Euphrates (flourished).

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com
Retired Moderator
V
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2019, 22:04
Top Contributor
Grego
I see that you are obviously equating 'a number of' (an idiom, and hence guided by custom rather than by reason) with 'an equal number of'( an ordinary noun phrase with an prepositional tail.)

Nevertheless, could you elucidate what is wrong with 'E' then, since the OA is D?

Thanks.
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2019, 00:35
daagh wrote:
If D is the official answer, then this is a lousy question. Whatever manner one may try to justify D as the correct choice by ellipsis or otherwise, D is unfit to be the correct answer as Argha has correctly pointed out. D is the antithesis of proper comparison by matching the number of flights as last year.
To think of ellipsis, the elided part must be present in the verbatim form in the early part. Which is the part that is being elided herein in D is unclear. D is a blatant mis-comparison because of the unnecessary intrusion of the comparator ‘as’. One more potentially dubious meaning of D’s faulty comparison is that ‘the same number’ is compared with what last year offered. In that case, we are wrongly comparing the number of what the airlines are offering with what the last year offered. This is untenable.
B must be the correct answer; it avoids the mis-comparison of using ‘as’ and rightly using a past participle. Also, it may be noted that the comma plus present participle ‘using’ in B modifies the subject of the previous clause and the subject’s action namely the ‘many airlines and their efforts to increase profitability’ and not ‘last year’.

sir i think c is correct as it follow parallelism also overhead low by something and something. please help me!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2019, 07:38
rishabhmishra wrote:
daagh wrote:
If D is the official answer, then this is a lousy question. Whatever manner one may try to justify D as the correct choice by ellipsis or otherwise, D is unfit to be the correct answer as Argha has correctly pointed out. D is the antithesis of proper comparison by matching the number of flights as last year.
To think of ellipsis, the elided part must be present in the verbatim form in the early part. Which is the part that is being elided herein in D is unclear. D is a blatant mis-comparison because of the unnecessary intrusion of the comparator ‘as’. One more potentially dubious meaning of D’s faulty comparison is that ‘the same number’ is compared with what last year offered. In that case, we are wrongly comparing the number of what the airlines are offering with what the last year offered. This is untenable.
B must be the correct answer; it avoids the mis-comparison of using ‘as’ and rightly using a past participle. Also, it may be noted that the comma plus present participle ‘using’ in B modifies the subject of the previous clause and the subject’s action namely the ‘many airlines and their efforts to increase profitability’ and not ‘last year’.

sir i think c is correct as it follow parallelism also overhead low by something and something. please help me!

First of all, (C) has to go because you can't use "amount" with "flights." "Flights" is a countable noun, so we want "number of flights", not "amount of flights".

Also, think about the meaning: how are airline carriers are attempting to increase profitability while keeping overhead low? By 1) offering the same number of flights as last year and 2) using larger planes that fly more efficiently? (C) seems to indicate that OFFERING the same number of flights as last year is an independent course of action that will somehow increase the airline's profitability. In reality, offering the same number of flights as last year, by itself, doesn't increase profitability.

Offering the same number of flights only helps if they use larger planes that fly more efficiently. That meaning is a bit more clear in (D).

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Many airline carriers are attempting to increase profitability while   [#permalink] 13 Jul 2019, 07:38

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 49 posts ] 

Many airline carriers are attempting to increase profitability while

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics