Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:05 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: MBA Query - Management Consulting vs Real Estate Consulting [#permalink]
Hi Alex,

One more thing, Which schools would be good for me considering my focus on Real Estate?

My profile:
Work Ex: 4 years in offshoring Companies (Bank of America and Citigroup) working in Financial/Strategy Research focussing on US Real Estate sector
Since January 2010, Vice President in a boutique Indian Real Estate Company handling the Brokerage/Leasing and Mortgage division --> this is where the MBA would help me 1) by increasing the scope 2) by giving International Exposure

Jobs Changed: 3

GMAT: 720

Acads: Bachelors in Commerce with 70%

Average Extracurricular: Corporate sponsored philonthropic events, have taken lead in educating farmers and small children, Leading the local Go Green group encouragin people to save resources, team lead for Pool club (if that counts)

Nationality: Indian

Goal: To work for Companies such as CB Richard Ellis, Jones Lang Lasalle etc and eventually put the knowledge/learning to use by opening my own Real Estate Consulting company (in my apps can I mention the names of the Companies or will they be displeased with naming companies?)

Please advice which are the schools where I would be competative? I am applying this year and need a realitic target. Was thinking about LBS, Michigan, Darden, Columbia, Insead, Nanyang, Oxford. please let me know if I need to add/substract any Thanks...
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Columbia is an obvious choice as it's got one of the best real estate finance specialties anywhere.

Also, it depends on what you want to do.

Those with MBAs who go into real estate, tend to focus on real estate finance (working in investment banking that services REITS), mortgage trading (or what's left of it), and so forth.

If you're interested in real estate development, you may want to look at some of the MS Real Estate programs instead like MIT.

Of course there's overlap between the MBA and MSRE programs in terms of coursework and career opportunities in real estate, but again the MBA focus on finance, and MSRE on development.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Never really thought about MSRE, had a one track mind, but will surely apply to MIT for MSRE. Thanks, much appreciated...

Regards, Sid
GMAT Club Bot