Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:47 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: UVA (Darden) - Class of 2014
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Re: McDonough 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
easonchiang wrote:
I'm interviewing with them in two weeks and would really appreciate it if someone experienced could offer me some advice. Thanks!!

The McDonough interview is pretty standard. I would recommend that you have very strong answers for the following questions though.

- Why MBA and why now?
- Why McDonough?
- What have you done to help you achieve your post b-school goals?

The school is looking for applicants who know what they want to do after b-school and have the necessary resources to achieve their goals. And so, you should come prepared with names of companies for which you would like to work and a list of steps that you have taken, which should allow you to hit the ground running (at the appropriate speed and in the right direction) once recruiting begins.

McDonough is also high on applicants who value social responsibility. Be ready to talk about your community involvement and how you could potentially be active in DC while at McDonough.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Mostly behavioral questions.

Leadership, team, conflict examples.

You will also be asked about international experience.

Staff is incredibly friendly.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
threestripes wrote:
easonchiang wrote:
I'm interviewing with them in two weeks and would really appreciate it if someone experienced could offer me some advice. Thanks!!

The McDonough interview is pretty standard. I would recommend that you have very strong answers for the following questions though.

- Why MBA and why now?
- Why McDonough?
- What have you done to help you achieve your post b-school goals?

The school is looking for applicants who know what they want to do after b-school and have the necessary resources to achieve their goals. And so, you should come prepared with names of companies for which you would like to work and a list of steps that you have taken, which should allow you to hit the ground running (at the appropriate speed and in the right direction) once recruiting begins.

McDonough is also high on applicants who value social responsibility. Be ready to talk about your community involvement and how you could potentially be active in DC while at McDonough.

Good luck!

Wow!! Thank you so much for the advice. I'll think through those questions again and have answers prepared. I really appreciate it.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
jmr71483 wrote:
Mostly behavioral questions.

Leadership, team, conflict examples.

You will also be asked about international experience.

Staff is incredibly friendly.

Posted from my mobile device

Got it. Thank you so much for giving me more directions to prepare. :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.03
Send PM
Does anyone know what the dress code will be for welcome weekend? I'm assuming dress casual, but I don't want to be the only person not wearing a suit. Also, is anyone bringing a partner?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Can someone post the login information for the welcome website? I have it at home, but I'm at work now and I'd like to take a look at the Welcome Weekend schedule.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi all, I was wondering if the school interviews every applicant? I'm trying figuring out my chance after receiving the interview invitation. Thanks!! - Eason
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.15
Send PM
easonchiang wrote:
Hi all, I was wondering if the school interviews every applicant? I'm trying figuring out my chance after receiving the interview invitation. Thanks!! - Eason

Hey Eason,

This is some information posted by jmr71483 on page 14:

APPLICANTS

Applications (admitted and denied) to the newest class: 1,323
Applicants who were accepted to the most recent class: 49 %
Admitted applicants who enrolled in the newest class: 39 %
Applicants who were re-applicants from prior years: 4 %
Percentage of this year's reapplicants accepted: 48 %
Applicants wait-listed during the last admissions cycle: 345
Wait-listed applicants admitted for the semester to which they applied: 73
Applicant interviews are: By invitation only
Applicants (admitted and denied) who were interviewed: 72 %
Admitted applicants who were interviewed: 100 %

~68% according to Business Week's statistics last year. Who knows how much that varies year to year though.

If last year's numbers are an accurate representation of this year, then about 2/3rds of the applicants who interview are ultimately admitted. From these numbers, it kind of looks like applicants who are interviewed are either accepted or wait-listed, rather than being outright dinged.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
DCJen wrote:
easonchiang wrote:

Hey Eason,

This is some information posted by jmr71483 on page 14:

APPLICANTS

Applications (admitted and denied) to the newest class: 1,323
Applicants who were accepted to the most recent class: 49 %
Admitted applicants who enrolled in the newest class: 39 %
Applicants who were re-applicants from prior years: 4 %
Percentage of this year's reapplicants accepted: 48 %
Applicants wait-listed during the last admissions cycle: 345
Wait-listed applicants admitted for the semester to which they applied: 73
Applicant interviews are: By invitation only
Applicants (admitted and denied) who were interviewed: 72 %
Admitted applicants who were interviewed: 100 %

~68% according to Business Week's statistics last year. Who knows how much that varies year to year though.

If last year's numbers are an accurate representation of this year, then about 2/3rds of the applicants who interview are ultimately admitted. From these numbers, it kind of looks like applicants who are interviewed are either accepted or wait-listed, rather than being outright dinged.

Hi DCJen,

Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention. I guess, based on the numbers here, I might still have a shot. Will try my best to prepare for my interview. Hope that I'll be able to join the class. Thanks again.

- Eason
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Sorry this is a bit late, but good luck to those of you interviewing for R3!

This was my recap post from my interview. I hope it's somewhat helpful! Others have also posted their interview experiences around page 10 of this thread.
mcdonough-2012-calling-all-applicants-120172-180.html#p1032682

That being said, my interview was really relaxed and super conversational. I think GT's adcom tries to make you feel comfortable and they genuinely seem to want to hear your story, rather than try to catch you off guard. One warning I'd give (and I don't know if anyone else experienced this): my interviewer told me that a girl with my exact stats applied R1 and was rejected. She didn't say it with any sort of malice or condescension, but now that I look back, it may have been to test how quickly I could positively respond. Just try to keep a positive attitude!

Also, if you're interviewing on campus, make sure you have CASH for the parking garage. I ran into a huge problem with this the first time I visited campus for an info session...let's just say my car was trapped in the president's lot. :lol: :oops:
Intern
Intern
Send PM
krzt wrote:

This was my recap post from my interview. I hope it's somewhat helpful! Others have also posted their interview experiences around page 10 of this thread.

That being said, my interview was really relaxed and super conversational. I think GT's adcom tries to make you feel comfortable and they genuinely seem to want to hear your story, rather than try to catch you off guard. One warning I'd give (and I don't know if anyone else experienced this): my interviewer told me that a girl with my exact stats applied R1 and was rejected. She didn't say it with any sort of malice or condescension, but now that I look back, it may have been to test how quickly I could positively respond. Just try to keep a positive attitude!

Also, if you're interviewing on campus, make sure you have CASH for the parking garage. I ran into a huge problem with this the first time I visited campus for an info session...let's just say my car was trapped in the president's lot. :lol: :oops:

Thanks, mate!!! You guys are extremely supportive!!! I'll just take taxi from union station to there.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
krzt wrote:

That is correct, Georgetown University's parking garage is cash only. Not cheap either. I do recommend walking around campus. As for the interview with me, I felt it was conversational, flowed smoothly, but formal. It wasn't a pressure interview by any means, but it wasn't like a casual chat at the hotel lobby like some others said. Then again, the evening progam staff is different than the full time staff which most of you are interested in.

Speaking about my status, well, taking the test this weekend and that will likely decide my fate for Round 2-EP... hopefully third time's the charm.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi all, I was wondering if I'll have to dress up in business attire for the MBA insider program. Thanks! - Eason
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Declined GT's admission. Hope there will be one more spot available for those on the waitlist. Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I also just declined my McDonough and GPPI offers. Best of luck to waitlisters and R3 applicants!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM

Originally posted by RG0105 on 15 Apr 2012, 15:11.
Last edited by RG0105 on 26 Aug 2012, 15:42, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you, folks, for updating your decisions with us. Does anyone know how many people they admitted for R1 and R2?
I realized that the more I learn about the school, the more strongly I feel about it. I shall go back to prepare my interview with them.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22  ...  24   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts