Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:08 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32883 [14]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [4]
Given Kudos: 89
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: Desautels (D)
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [4]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
Re: Modern archaeological finds can still contribute much to the study of [#permalink]
Can someone explain q4?
I thought it's Seven Against Thebes

Quote:
The Suppliant Women does actually occupy a position after The Persians and Seven Against Thebes, which now become the "primitive plays, and before the Oresteia.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Re: Modern archaeological finds can still contribute much to the study of [#permalink]
Please post official answers
for Qs : especially 4th and 6th .
VP
VP
Send PM
Modern archaeological finds can still contribute much to the study of [#permalink]
For question 4:

Quote:
suggest the name Archedemides, archon in 463 B.C., thus perhaps tying the plays to that precise date, almost exactly halfway between Aeschylus' Seven Against Thebes of 467 B.C. and his Oresteia.

won't 463 be in between 467 and Oresteia? Thus Oresteia becomes 459 AD. That's why i rejected Oresteia. Please suggest
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [0]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
imSKR wrote:
For question 4:

Quote:
suggest the name Archedemides, archon in 463 B.C., thus perhaps tying the plays to that precise date, almost exactly halfway between Aeschylus' Seven Against Thebes of 467 B.C. and his Oresteia.

won't 463 be in between 467 and Oresteia? Thus Oresteia becomes 459 AD. That's why i rejected Oresteia. Please suggest

Yes, the above is mentioned in the passage, but then later on author also mentions: "The discovery has resulted in no less than a total reevaluation of every-chronological criterion that has been applied to or derived from Aeschylus' plays.", which later on caused formulation of plays, making Oresteia the latest in the date of its composition.

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
bm2201 wrote:
imSKR wrote:
Please post official answers
for Qs : especially 4th and 6th .

Hi imSKR,

Let me know if this helps.

4. It can be inferred from the passage that which of the following plays or groups of plays is considered the latest in the date of its composition?

(A) The Persians
(B) The Danaid tetralogy
(C) The Oresteia
(D) Seven Against Thebes
(E) The Suppliant Women

Explanation: can be inferred from the lines: "The prominence of the chorus in the Suppliant Women now is seen not as a sign of primitivism but as analogous to the massive choral songs of the Oresteia. Statistics have been formulated or reformulated, to show that stylistically The Suppliant Women does actually occupy a position after The Persians and Seven Against Thebes, which now become the "primitive plays, and before the Oresteia. ",implying that Oresteia was finally considered the latest in the date of its composition.

6. The author's attitude toward the "activity" mentioned and its consequences can best be described as one of

(A) amused tolerance
(B) mocking envy
(C) grave doubt
(D) angry disapproval
(E) unrestrained enthusiasm

Explanation: The "activity" is nothing but a total reevaluation of every-chronological criterion that has been applied to or derived from Aeschylus' plays after the discovery of a few letters in the fragment. Author shows the statistics were modified to show that how Suppliant Women came after Persians and Seven Against Thebes. Tolerance and acceptance on Author's part, can be inferred by the lines where he mentions: "While the new doctrine seems almost certainly correct," and later goes on to evaluate the point.
Other options are pretty extreme, author doesn't seem to be showing envy or doubt disapproval or even enthusiasm. A is the best suited answer.

Thanks.

HI,

In Q4. if Oresteia was the first one then why is it written "before" : The Suppliant Women does actually occupy a position after The Persians and Seven Against Thebes, which now become the "primitive plays, and before the Oresteia. "
According to this Suppliant Women occupy position after The Persians and Seven Against Thebes, and these occupy before Oresteia.

This is what I understand. Please explain what's wrong i my approach.

Thanks
VP
VP
Send PM
Hi Sajjad1994 bm2201

Do you mind sharing official answers for Q1,2,5 and 7th.

I tried this passage after so many months. Although I could understand the passage but still found total four wrong.

For Q1 , I marked C
For Q2, A vs C
For Q5, D vs E
For Q7, I marked B

Please help.

Thanks @Sajjad1994 bm2201
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts