Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 17:59 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 17:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GRE 1: Q150 V150
GPA: 3.65
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [2]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10019 [1]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51457 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: Need Advice:B-School top 30-60, strong at Entrepreneuship & Marketing? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
NguyetLe wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm applying for MBA full-time this year (2018 Intake). I have 2 years working experience as Assistant Brand Manager in a FMCG company in Vietnam.
In my job, i have led 2 projects in which we launched new product/ new innovation into the market.
That's why i'm thinking of choosing between entrepreneurship and Marketing for my MBA.
My career goal after graduating from MBA is start-up (service industry not tech :) ) or Marketing but skew to businesss strategy.
My background:
- GPA: 3.65
- GMAT (not taken): target 720

Because my 1st priority for choosing a B-school is financial aid, therefore i'm targeting to school ranked within top 30-60 to maximize the chance.
And the 2nd priority is the school must meet my desire specialization which is MKT & entrepreneurship.

So, pls help me to recommend some of the schools.
And if you can, plz give me some advice on my application: should i choose entrepreneurship instead of MKT? I'm quite nervous about my background have no clearly"start-up" experience.
How does the adcom judge candidates who want to be in entrepreneuship but have no star-up yet?

Thank a lot!

I think then entrepreneurial angle can work out for you but I wonder why you can't take out a bit of a loan? I would strongly recommend a top 15 school with some fin-aid over a top 30 with full tuition cover. What are your post MBA goals? Do you plan to go back to Vietnam? In that case your fin-aid choices make some sense. Otherwise, it could be a pretty dangerous risk.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Need Advice:B-School top 30-60, strong at Entrepreneuship & Marketing? [#permalink]
Quote:
Are you absolutely unable to take out any loans or anything? It sort of deflating that you will have to choose a school that is second-tier. Because Kellogg sounds like a really awesome fit for you. If you do a good job on the application and manage to pull off the GMAT score you mentioned, you might still consider applying because they are strong in both of those two areas. And also in the industry that you're interested in. Other schools that are strong in marketing would include NYU Anderson and Kelley. HEC and IE. To answer your final question you want to have some kind of dots to connect. It doesn't necessarily have to be a plus b equals c but you will need to have some evidence as to why this start up path is solid, and you know what you're doing here. So if you were to have worked in a marketing role at a smaller company than that would potentially build the bridge that you need. Given that you have really valuable work experience in brand management, I would probably advise you to continue with that as your short-term goal because you're going to look a lot more employable. and then make the startup piece your long-term goal That is if you're planning to return to Vietnam. The Visa situation is not great for marketing jobs it's a lot better for financial services Consulting and tech product management. So if you plan to infer that you're going to be staying in the u.s. for a long time after that, assuming that that's where you want to apply, you'll want to make sure that it's a logical argument as far as getting work authorization

Quote:
I think then entrepreneurial angle can work out for you but I wonder why you can't take out a bit of a loan? I would strongly recommend a top 15 school with some fin-aid over a top 30 with full tuition cover. What are your post MBA goals? Do you plan to go back to Vietnam? In that case your fin-aid choices make some sense. Otherwise, it could be a pretty dangerous risk.

Thank you for all of your advice!

I totally aware of the difficulty of finding a job in US after MBA even MKT or entrepreneurship, so my short-term goal after MBA is continuing Marketing career in Vietnam or Singapore which may allow me to saving for my start-up. The end in mind is opening a start-up in tourism industry which might take quite a big investment. Therefore loan seems to be a threat to my plan.

Could you plz give me more advice on how to convince the adcom to accept me into the MBA entrepreneurship but my short-term goad is still MKT? or should i tell them, like, i will definitely go to start-up right after the MBA?

My company is one of the biggest FMCG in VN and we're very famous for entrepreneurship spirit & innovation (the 20th place on the Forbes' list of the World's 100 Most Innovative Growth Companies 2015). But our launching is not always successful, yes, we have a lot of failures. So do you think it may be a good point to be leveraged in my entrepreneur or MKT MBA?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: 99colleges.com
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: Wharton
Send PM
Need Advice:B-School top 30-60, strong at Entrepreneuship & Marketing? [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi NguyetLe,

I echo what others say on quality of the program over financial aid, but given your plan to return, a heavy loan can spell problems.

As far as your career goals for MBA application are concerned, entrepreneurship is a leap-of faith goal. It’s difficult. Few survive. Yet fewer scale up. That’s why you need to show what are the factors (passion is not enough) that are likely to make you successful in travel industry in Vietnam. Product is typically the easy part. Most difficult is market entry especially in a well-entrenched industry such as travel. What’s your market entry strategy? Second, you mention that it’s going to be a capital-intensive venture. Do you have a low cost option to show a proof of concept? If not raising the capital itself will be a humungous task. It depends on geographies but, unlike Silicon Valley (here too that’s not common), mere ideas rarely get funded. These are the questions you need to think of, as they form the very foundation of your venture. People look for credibility when reading applications, and details in such leap-of faith situations help. Passion and hard work are table stakes in entrepreneurship.

On a different note, in my opinion, if someone is sure that they want to dive (not dip toes; that’s for hobbyists) in entrepreneurship in the short term, they don’t need an MBA. An MBA degree is likely to be counter-productive: loan will make them risk-averse and the degree may make them conform to a particular lifestyle. And as far as entrepreneurship is concerned, lot of water has flown down all the rivers in the world in the last decade or so. So many excellent resources (example: accelerators, mentorship programs, Y-Combinator, Steve Blank…) are available outside the realm of formal education now. Some of them may be exclusively for tech industries, but most of it holds true outside too.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 613 [1]
Given Kudos: 111
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
NguyetLe wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm applying for MBA full-time this year (2018 Intake). I have 2 years working experience as Assistant Brand Manager in a FMCG company in Vietnam.
In my job, i have led 2 projects in which we launched new product/ new innovation into the market.
That's why i'm thinking of choosing between entrepreneurship and Marketing for my MBA.
My career goal after graduating from MBA is start-up (service industry not tech :) ) or Marketing but skew to businesss strategy.
My background:
- GPA: 3.65
- GMAT (not taken): target 720

Because my 1st priority for choosing a B-school is financial aid, therefore i'm targeting to school ranked within top 30-60 to maximize the chance.
And the 2nd priority is the school must meet my desire specialization which is MKT & entrepreneurship.

So, pls help me to recommend some of the schools.
And if you can, plz give me some advice on my application: should i choose entrepreneurship instead of MKT? I'm quite nervous about my background have no clearly"start-up" experience.
How does the adcom judge candidates who want to be in entrepreneuship but have no star-up yet?

Thank a lot!

I agree with everyone that you should target Tier 1 schools; however, just because you cannot afford a Tier 1 school is no reason to believe that you are not worthy of one. So, if you just cannot afford them, work hard towards your GMAT score and essays, aiming for a Scholarship at Tier 2.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [1]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
NguyetLe wrote:
Quote:
Are you absolutely unable to take out any loans or anything? It sort of deflating that you will have to choose a school that is second-tier. Because Kellogg sounds like a really awesome fit for you. If you do a good job on the application and manage to pull off the GMAT score you mentioned, you might still consider applying because they are strong in both of those two areas. And also in the industry that you're interested in. Other schools that are strong in marketing would include NYU Anderson and Kelley. HEC and IE. To answer your final question you want to have some kind of dots to connect. It doesn't necessarily have to be a plus b equals c but you will need to have some evidence as to why this start up path is solid, and you know what you're doing here. So if you were to have worked in a marketing role at a smaller company than that would potentially build the bridge that you need. Given that you have really valuable work experience in brand management, I would probably advise you to continue with that as your short-term goal because you're going to look a lot more employable. and then make the startup piece your long-term goal That is if you're planning to return to Vietnam. The Visa situation is not great for marketing jobs it's a lot better for financial services Consulting and tech product management. So if you plan to infer that you're going to be staying in the u.s. for a long time after that, assuming that that's where you want to apply, you'll want to make sure that it's a logical argument as far as getting work authorization

Quote:

Thank you for all of your advice!

I totally aware of the difficulty of finding a job in US after MBA even MKT or entrepreneurship, so my short-term goal after MBA is continuing Marketing career in Vietnam or Singapore which may allow me to saving for my start-up. The end in mind is opening a start-up in tourism industry which might take quite a big investment. Therefore loan seems to be a threat to my plan.

Could you plz give me more advice on how to convince the adcom to accept me into the MBA entrepreneurship but my short-term goad is still MKT? or should i tell them, like, i will definitely go to start-up right after the MBA?

My company is one of the biggest FMCG in VN and we're very famous for entrepreneurship spirit & innovation (the 20th place on the Forbes' list of the World's 100 Most Innovative Growth Companies 2015). But our launching is not always successful, yes, we have a lot of failures. So do you think it may be a good point to be leveraged in my entrepreneur or MKT MBA?

You can refer to what I wrote on this. You want the story to connect dots: if you have no experience in this area, make it a long term goal rather than short term. You want to look employable - that you have transferrable skills to bring to your post MBA employer (because that is how you will get a job, and business schools want to know you will be easy to recruit.) That is the way to get accepted, there is no "accept me into the MBA entrepreneurship" it's about getting in the school and then, when you are in, you get to choose which classes to take/your focus. Does that make sense? You can still discuss entrepreneurship in the essays but feel you would enhance your chances by making it the longer term goal. Use what you have built so far to get into the school - show how you need an MBA for the next step. Then, show how your short term goal plus the MBA will position you for the long term goal (entp)
Hope this helps. Also, I ran across a resource you might find helpful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x41TClMlCDE&feature=em-subs_digest
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Quote:
Hi NguyetLe,

I echo what others say on quality of the program over financial aid, but given your plan to return, a heavy loan can spell problems.

As far as your career goals for MBA application are concerned, entrepreneurship is a leap-of faith goal. It’s difficult. Few survive. Yet fewer scale up. That’s why you need to show what are the factors (passion is not enough) that are likely to make you successful in travel industry in Vietnam. Product is typically the easy part. Most difficult is market entry especially in a well-entrenched industry such as travel. What’s your market entry strategy? Second, you mention that it’s going to be a capital-intensive venture. Do you have a low cost option to show a proof of concept? If not raising the capital itself will be a humungous task. It depends on geographies but, unlike Silicon Valley (here too that’s not common), mere ideas rarely get funded. These are the questions you need to think of, as they form the very foundation of your venture. People look for credibility when reading applications, and details in such leap-of faith situations help. Passion and hard work are table stakes in entrepreneurship.

On a different note, in my opinion, if someone is sure that they want to dive (not dip toes; that’s for hobbyists) in entrepreneurship in the short term, they don’t need an MBA. An MBA degree is likely to be counter-productive: loan will make them risk-averse and the degree may make them conform to a particular lifestyle. And as far as entrepreneurship is concerned, lot of water has flown down all the rivers in the world in the last decade or so. So many excellent resources (example: accelerators, mentorship programs, Y-Combinator, Steve Blank…) are available outside the realm of formal education now. Some of them may be exclusively for tech industries, but most of it holds true outside too.

Quote:
You can refer to what I wrote on this. You want the story to connect dots: if you have no experience in this area, make it a long term goal rather than short term. You want to look employable - that you have transferrable skills to bring to your post MBA employer (because that is how you will get a job, and business schools want to know you will be easy to recruit.) That is the way to get accepted, there is no "accept me into the MBA entrepreneurship" it's about getting in the school and then, when you are in, you get to choose which classes to take/your focus. Does that make sense? You can still discuss entrepreneurship in the essays but feel you would enhance your chances by making it the longer term goal. Use what you have built so far to get into the school - show how you need an MBA for the next step. Then, show how your short term goal plus the MBA will position you for the long term goal (entp)
Hope this helps. Also, I ran across a resource you might find helpful

Many thanks 99Colleges umg MBAPrepCoach! Highly appreciate your advice! They are very useful & help make clear a lot of my concern & trigger me to think more.
The more potential approach i'm thinking of now is choosing MKT which will definitely help me to lift up my career post-MBA & also my entrepreneur latter on. And if there is a school which is strong at both 2 areas, it will be perfect to connect everything.
GMAT Club Bot