Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:51 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Schools:Kellogg MBA 2004
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
Yes, I think waiting a year to gain some good experience is a good idea. Many applicants are too impatient to wait, which gives an even bigger advantage to those who are willing to wait and put in the extra time and effort.

Yes, I do think Cornell is another good option for you. Don't get too hung up on the "name brand" of yoru undergrad... What you've accomplished is far more important than where you've worked or gone to school!

Scott
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Scott,

I want to post a little follow up since we last spoke. I recently signed up to volunteer as a tutor for a local community college. The subjects on which I will be tutoring include algebra, accounting, and computer applications. I start August 27, and will be tutoring every Sunday from 12:00-4:00. I also decide how long I will be tutoring for the school--which, in my case, will probably be for at least year, if not longer.

Additionally, I have been promoted to a supervisory position at my company and have been entrusted with training new account executives for our banking division.

Overall, I think these are positive steps in strengthening two aspects of my application: community service and leadership. With reference to the former, I have many more volunteering opportunities available in the community college. However, would you suggest "diversifying," so to speak, by performing additional community service activities outside the academic world, or is there hardly any difference in the eyes of an admissions officer? And in terms of the latter, what are some of the qualities I should keep in mind, so that I continue on building up my leadership strengths to an admissions committee? I don't want to fall into the trap of being a leader in name only.

Lastly, I've worked for 6 companies within the past 4 1/2 years--5 if you count only the ones in the mortgage banking field. I've approached one year with my current company so far. If in 3-6 months I were to come across a better opportunity, with better pay, benefits (I have no health insurance now), and more responsibility in terms of leadership, will a 7th company on my resume hurt my profile? In other words, will it seem like I've been job hopping?

Thanks,

Gary
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
In terms of what other community service opportunities to pursue, I don't think that you need to diversify. If other things truly interest you, then go and do them, but overall I'd actually recommend focusing and showing a passion for one thing -- in this case, teaching. Adcomms are more interested in people who make a real impact in one area than people who do a little bit here and a little bit there.

RE: types of experiences, remember what we say in the book... You want to show how you made a real impact, went beyond the norm, made things happen that wouldn't have happened without you, etc. Teaching is good, but designing a new courseor launching a new program at the school is even better, to offer to examples.

RE: job hopping... Yeah, at first brush I probably would think of you as a job hopper. I don't know what the norm is in your industry, but preferably you can show some permanence, rather than immediately bailing at the first chance you get. (Why does this matter? Remember... Adcomms want to see you make an IMPACT, and it's hard to do that when you keep switching jobs!) Stepping up in terms of a leadership opportunity would be a good move, but moving to make a few extra thousand dollars a year probably wouldn't be.

Scott
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Scott,

Thanks for the reply. I concur with your opinion. In fact, I will remain with my company as it is experiencing strong growth in business and I am involved in many important day-to-day projects. By the time I apply for admission, I will have about 3 years notched in my belt with my current employer--4 years if you count up to actually beginning attendance or matriculation.

On a side note, the reason why I have been through so many companies in the past is because I spent most of my time in sales-related work--something that I never expected when I was in college. My first job was in life insurance, which I hated. For the second job, I worked with a homebuilder as a processor and loan officer for one year, then got burned out from constant 7-day work weeks. My next stop was retail banking, followed by mortgage brokering, mortgage underwriting, and, currently, secondary marketing. Obviously, I'm giving a somewhat crude description of my work history; I'm sure you see my point, nonetheless.

Teaching is definitely a passion, which is why I have offered to design a formal training program for new hires at my company--outside of my current job responsibility.

At any rate, I appreciate your thoughts and will keep this information in mind on my journey.

Gary
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Scott,

I've got some recent bad news. Unfortunately, due to a reshuffling of management structure, I lost my job with my recent employer. I'm looking for a new job right now in the same industry.

My question is, how much does this hurt my chances in the eyes of a business school? I had just completed over a year with this company before being let go. It's kind of frustrating dealing with this matter as I had hoped for some stability to strengthen my resume.

Thanks.

Gary
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
Very sorry to hear it. I can't sa yfor certain how much it will hurt you, but obvisouly it won't help. The best thing you can do is focus on what you accomplished on the job, briefly explain why you lost the job, tell them what you're doing NOW (whether it's starting your own thing, seeking a new job, or volunteering), and emphasize your reasons for wanting an MBA (i.e., that you don't want to go to school just because you're out of work).

Definitely don't dwell on the negatives or make excuses. Your overall, ten- to twenty-year plan shouldn't really have changed based this one small setback, so neither should your overall game plan.

Good luck!

Scott
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]