Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 18:53 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35497 [5]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35497 [13]
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [3]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Stern School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 539 [1]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
New mortgage rules, which do not require down payments from borrowers, [#permalink]
Kudos
generis wrote:

New mortgage rules, which do not require down payments from borrowers, are intended to encourage lending, but some real estate analysts insist of their ineffectiveness to prevent high levels of default.

A) insist of their ineffectiveness to prevent high levels of default

B) insist on its ineffectiveness at preventing high levels of default

C) insist that they are ineffective in preventing high default levels

D) insist that such regulations are ineffective at preventing high levels of default

E) insist that this is ineffective to prevent high levels of default

Not sure .. Confused between A and D .

Insist is a subjunctive word . So use of is /are and helping verb is wrong .
at the same time in A there is pronoun ambiguity error and meaning error .. to prevent -- to + verb used for intention .

Going with the meaning .. voting for D .

Waiting for OE curiously .

Originally posted by HoneyLemon on 12 Jun 2020, 03:58.
Last edited by HoneyLemon on 13 Jun 2020, 03:38, edited 1 time in total.
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 344 [1]
Given Kudos: 482
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Re: New mortgage rules, which do not require down payments from borrowers, [#permalink]
Kudos
New mortgage rules, which do not require down payments from borrowers, are intended to encourage lending, but some real estate analysts insist of their ineffectiveness to prevent high levels of default.

A) insist of their ineffectiveness to prevent high levels of default // insist of is not correct, the intended meaning is distorted. i.e. their ineffectiveness is not to prevent high levels of default

B) insist on its ineffectiveness at preventing high levels of default // its is a wrong pronoun, new mortgage rules are plural. p.s. ineffectiveness at is a correct idiom

C) insist that they are ineffective in preventing high default levels // they may refer to different nouns such as mortgage rules, down payments, borrowers, analysts, better to avoid a pronoun here. p.s. ineffective in is a correct idiom.

D) insist that such regulations are ineffective at preventing high levels of default // a perfect match in line with the above analysis.

E) insist that this is ineffective to prevent high levels of default // the intended meaning is distorted. i.e. ineffectiveness is not to prevent high levels of default, "this" is a dangling modifier.

So, D is the answer.

Kudos if you find the explanations helpful.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [2]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
Re: New mortgage rules, which do not require down payments from borrowers, [#permalink]
Kudos
A) insist of their ineffectiveness to prevent high levels of default - Incorrect - wrongly refers to the real estate employees and not the regulations.

B) insist on its ineffectiveness at preventing high levels of default - Incorrect, what is the "its" referring to is not clear.

C) insist that they are ineffective in preventing high default levels - Incorrect - "that they" refers to the real estate employees and not the regulations.

D) insist that such regulations are ineffective at preventing high levels of default - Correct - as the correct meaning is implied and the highlighted part correctly to the regulations being ineffective.

E) insist that this is ineffective to prevent high levels of default - incorrect, the reference to which "this" is ambiguous here.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 103 [1]
Given Kudos: 120
Concentration: Leadership, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.02
Send PM
Kudos

A) insist of their ineffectiveness to prevent high levels of default The use of "their" is ambiguous as we don't know what is it referring to "mortgage rules" or "RE analysts"

B) insist on its ineffectiveness at preventing high levels of default "its" is incorrect as the subject of this verb is "new rules" which is plural

C) insist that they are ineffective in preventing high default levels again we don't know what "they" is referring to

D) insist that such regulations are ineffective at preventing high levels of default Correct. This eliminates all doubts by reiterating the word "regulations"

E) insist that this is ineffective to prevent high levels of default "this is" is incorrect
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [1]
Given Kudos: 40
GPA: 3.8
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos

*Subject Verb Agreement

["New mortgage rules - are intended" ; "which - do not" ; " real estate analysts - insist"]
- All subjects have verb & all makes proper sense.

* Tense Form

[ Present Tense]
- properly conveys intended meaning

* If-then condition

- not used

* Subjunctive Verb

["insist"]
- insist is a subjunctive verb so usage of "that" & "plural verb form" are missing. So Incorrect

* Pronoun

[ "their" ineffectiveness to prevent high levels of default]
- "their" has ambiguous antecedent whether is it "New Mortgage rules" or "real estate analysts". So incorrect

* Modifier

[ "which do not require down payments from borrowers" properly modifies ""New mortgage rules"]
- seems okay and modifies properly.

* Parallelism

[ New mortgage rules- are intended , "but" some real estate analysts insist]
- both the statement are parallel; parallelism marker "but" connected appropriately.

* Comparison

- not used

* Idioms

- not used

While analyzing the statement only two error identified 1. Subjunctive error 2. Pronoun error.

- Subjunctive verb error ; "that " should be used after "insist" and verb be plural.

- Incorrect

1.Subjunctive verb error ; "that " should be used after "insist" and verb be plural.
2. pronoun error; antecedents are plural to "its" to be plural as well.

- Incorrect

C) insist that they[/u] are ineffective in preventing high default levels

- usage of "insist that" & "are" plural verb form removes the subjunctive verb error. Using "they" refers to "analysts" which totally makes this statement redundant . How analysts insist himself .

- Incorrect

D) insist that such regulations are ineffective at preventing high levels of default

- removes the subjunctive verb error & replaces the pronoun with " regulation" makes sentence correct .Now conveys the intended meaning as well .

- Correct.

- Subjunctive verb error ; using "is" is singular but in subjunctive verb after "that" verb should be plural.

- Incorrect.

IMO(D)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 342 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Kudos

- the demonstrative pronoun ''their'' has several possible antecedents: rules, analysts.

- the subject ''rules'' cannot take the singular pronoun ''its''.

- the demonstrative pronoun ''they'' has several possible antecedents: rules, analysts.

D) insist that such regulations are ineffective at preventing high levels of default - has no error. Hence, (D) is the right answer choice.

- the subject ''rules'' cannot take the singular pronoun ''this''.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 185 [1]
Given Kudos: 140
Send PM
Kudos

POE:
'Their' is ambiguous. We don't know what it is referring to analysts or rules.
Eliminate (A), (B), (C) & (E) - ambiguity.

D) insist that such regulations are ineffective at preventing high levels of default - CORRECT

I got the answer in 50 seconds :)
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35497 [1]
Send PM
New mortgage rules, which do not require down payments from borrowers, [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
DasAshishAshutosh wrote:
generis wrote:

at the same time in A there is pronoun ambiguity error and meaning error .. to prevent -- to + verb used for intention .

egmat , may you please help on this ques .

DasAshishAshutosh , you should indeed "go for the meaning."

The source of your understandable confusion is the fact that insist is not always a "command" verb.
You wrote, "Insist is a subjunctive word." Not always.

Your and others' confusion is understandable because posts on the subjunctive rarely if ever talk about verbs that can both trigger the command subjunctive structure and behave in more typical indicative verb fashion.

See my official explanation here, in which I spent a long time answering your question and, I hope, clearing up the concepts for you.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35497 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Wow - a lot of you slid in while I was writing the OE. :lol:
Not to worry. Glad to have your posts.

The official explanation is here
Stern School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 539 [1]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
generis wrote:
DasAshishAshutosh wrote:
generis wrote:

egmat , may you please help on this ques .

DasAshishAshutosh , you should indeed "go for the meaning."

The source of your understandable confusion is the fact that insist is not always a "command" verb.
You wrote, "Insist is a subjunctive word." Not always.

Your and others' confusion is understandable because posts on the subjunctive rarely if ever talk about verbs that can both trigger the command subjunctive structure and behave in more typical indicative verb fashion.

See my official explanation here, in which I spent a long time answering your question and, I hope, clearing up the concepts for you.

generis
Wow.. Thank you so much.
One of the myth,I was following, wrt subjunctive is debunked .
The meaning will dictate whether there is an command or bossy mood associated in the sentence , leading to execution of subjunctive verb form. ...

Kudos to you for such a crisp explanation :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :) :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 185 [1]
Given Kudos: 140
Send PM
generis wrote:
OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

• SHORT ANSWER

→ Eliminate option A because insist of is not idiomatic.
→ Eliminate option B because the singular pronoun its cannot refer to the plural antecedent rules
→ Eliminate option C because they is far from its antecedent, a fact that does not really bother me until I see option (D).
such regulations in option D is better than they in option C
→ KEEP D. I see no errors.
→ Eliminate option E because although GMAC has accepted "this" as a standalone pronoun in a question in 2020, in that case, linked below, the other four options contained clear error. THat situation is not the case in this question; option D is good.

The correct answer is D

• HIGLIGHTS

-- The verb insist does not always imply a command.

In this sentence, the verb insist signals that the analysts are defending the truth of their position.
The analysts object to the new mortgage rules.
The new rules may be beneficial because they encourage lending, which is generally good for economies, but the rules may also be harmful because they do not effectively prevent default, which is bad for everyone and for economies.

I chose this question because posts about the subjunctive rarely discuss a set of verbs that can be both mandative (related to a command or triggering "command subjunctive") and non-mandative.

See my Notes, below, for a discussion of three of those verbs. To insist is one of them.

THE PROMPT
Quote:

What is the point of the sentence?
The point is to highlight the fact that the analysts are harping on (insisting on) what they think is a major flaw in the new mortgage rules: the rules do not effectively prevent default.
Initially, the new rules might encourage lending, but after enough defaults, banks will pull back, alter the newly encouraged lending practices, and stop lending.

THE OPTIONS

Quote:
A) New mortgage rules, which do not require down payments from borrowers, are intended to encourage lending, but some real estate analysts insist of their ineffectiveness to prevent high levels of default

insist of is not idiomatic and hurts my ears. Insist on or insist that are idiomatic

insist is often a mandative (command) verb that triggers a subjunctive construction (see Notes), but in this sentence insist acts like a "regular" (indicative) verb.
The analysts are insisting that their position is correct.
The analysts are not commanding anyone to do anything.

Depending on its meaning, insist takes different constructions, "bossy" and not bossy. See Notes, below.
Option A is wrong because insist of is unidiomatic, not because option A should be in command (mandative) subjunctive form.

• I am not worried that their is ambiguous. Why would analysts think that they had the power to prevent defaults? But I am not happy about the fact that the noun to which their refers ("rules") is far away in a long sentence.
I will treat their just as I treated they in option C; in both cases, I will look for a more specific construction.

• suppose that you were unaware that insist of were unidiomatic.
-- In that case, I would keep option A and look for a better option
-- Since GMAC rarely tests on idiom alone, and since their is slightly bothersome, let's pretend that I don't know how awful "insist of" is.
KEEP A, tentatively

Quote:
B) New mortgage rules, which do not require down payments from borrowers, are intended to encourage lending, but some real estate analysts insist on its ineffectiveness at preventing high levels of default.

• the singular pronoun its cannot refer to the plural antecedent rules

Quote:
C. New mortgage rules, which do not require down payments from borrowers, are intended to encourage lending, but some real estate analysts insist that they are ineffective in preventing high default levels.

• I'm not a fan of they in this sentence.
-- Logically, the correct antecedent is rules, but analysts are kinda a contender and the logical antecedent (rules) is very far from its pronoun (they) in a long sentence.
-- In other words, this option is not very clear. It is stylistically flawed.
• Pronoun ambiguity?
-- Maybe.
-- I suppose that if you knew nothing about finance or economics (you had never held a job or learned anything about borrowing money), this "they" might seem to refer either to rules or to analysts.

Now I'm stuck with (C), too.
I do not eliminate answers on the basis of pronoun ambiguity alone unless I am in the final stages of analysis.
KEEP (It doesn't matter that I have no idea whether to choose A or C at this point. It does matter that I keep moving and not get stuck.)

Quote:
D) New mortgage rules, which do not require down payments from borrowers, are intended to encourage lending, but some real estate analysts insist that such regulations are ineffective at preventing high levels of default.

• This option looks promising.
-- Option D is an improved version of C.
-- The real estate analysts do not like the mortgage rules. That fact is clearer in (D) because the pronoun in question ("they") is replaced by its antecedent, renamed ("such regulations" clearly refers to the new rules).
such regulations is more specific and crisper than they
Eliminate C.
• KEEP (A) (remember, I am pretending that I think "insist of" is acceptable).
KEEP (D)

Quote:
E) New mortgage rules, which do not require down payments from borrowers, are intended to encourage lending, but some real estate analysts insist that this is ineffective to prevent high levels of default.

• THIS without a clear reference is almost always wrong. "This" is almost never a standalone pronoun.
-- Typically, GMAC requires "this" to "point" to a noun: this red chair near me, not that white couch on the other side of the room.
In jargon, "this" is a demonstrative adjective. "This" demonstrates which noun we are talking about. (In my example, that is also a demonstrative adjective.)
-- For the first time that I know of, in OG 2020, GMAC published a question in which THIS was a standalone pronoun rather than a demonstrative adjective.
-- That is, GMAC allowed THIS to refer to a situation described but not actually named by a noun.
Spoiler alert: if you click on the link, the correct answer to a new official question is revealed
You can find that official question HERE
• In that official question, the other options contained clear errors. GMAC may have signaled that it will accept "this" by itself on rare occasions, but in this question, option D contains no error and is better than E.
ELIMINATE E

Compare (A) and (D).
No contest. (D) wins. Eliminate option A.
Option D does not suffer from any pronoun fuzziness as might be the case in A.
In reality, I eliminated option A immediately because "insist of" is not idiomatic.

The answer is D.

• NOTES

The verb insist is not always a "command" verb that must be followed by a that clause and a subjunctive verb.

Above, I mentioned a set of verbs that can be both mandative (related to a command or triggering "command subjunctive) and non-mandative.

The verbs propose, suggest, and insist are probably the most common examples in this group of verbs.

See whether you can detect the pattern in each numbered couplet.

1a) Correct: The House Judiciary Committee proposed that the brother of George Floyd be the first person to testify at the congressional hearing.
Wrong: The committee proposed that the brother of George Floyd is the first person to testify at the hearing.

1b) Correct: In 1905, Einstein proposed that light is like a stream of particles (photons) rather than just a single wave, as scientists commonly believed at the time.
Wrong: Einstein proposed that light be like a stream of particles rather than just a single wave.

2a) Correct: I suggest that your brother be seen by a doctor.
Wrong: I suggest that your brother is seen by a doctor.

2b) Correct: Evidence suggests that Leif Eriksson arrived in North America 500 years before Christopher Columbus did so.
Wrong: Evidence suggests that Leif Eriksson arrive in North America 500 years before Columbus did so.

3a) Correct: The teacher insisted that the student be respectful.
Wrong: The teacher insisted that the student is respectful.

3b) Correct: The child insisted that he was telling the truth.
Wrong: The child insisted that he be telling the truth.

In order to know how these verbs should be used, we must examine meaning and context.

The first set of each couplet is a command; "insist" and the other two verbs in the first part of each couplet signal that someone wants to bring about the situation described in the that-clause.

The second sentence in each couplet is not a mandate or command: the focus is on the truth of what is said in the that-clause.

Are the real estate analysts ordering or commanding anyone to do anything?
No.
Is there any expectation that someone will or should comply with an order or a request?
No.
If the analysts in this sentence were bossing people around or expressing desire, we would create a sentence with mandative subjunctive ("command subjunctive"), this way:

BOSSY verb + THAT + subject + bare infinitive (see the (a) examples above)

Are the real estate analysts arguing for the truth of their proposition (namely, that new rules may not be so great because the rules do not effectively prevent default)?
Yes. In this case we use "insist" as we would use a "regular" verb.

As I mentioned and as I hope my examples showed, the verb insist, even when followed by a that-clause, does not always mean "to demand that something happens or that someone agrees to do something." See definition #1 from Oxford Learner's Dictionaries, here.

Insist can also mean "to say firmly that something is true, especially when other people do not believe you." See definition #2 from the same source as that above, here.

This question involves definition #2.

COMMENTS

Satishqwerty , DasAshishAshutosh , and tyildirim92 , welcome to SC Butler.

monk123 , one of my stalwarts :) , well done on your time!

It is really late where I am.
Be safe, everyone. Kudos to all.

generis Thank You :D
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts