Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:30 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1588 [117]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [45]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1371 [39]
Given Kudos: 46
WE:Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [5]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Now the fourth most important crop worldwide after wheat, rice and cor [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
sivasanjeev wrote:
Now the fourth most important crop worldwide after wheat, rice and corn, potatoes are expected to supply even a larger share of the world's nutritional requirements in the next century if genetic engineering can increase its immunity to disease and expand its range of growing habitats.

A. potatoes are expected to supply even a
B. potatoes will, it is expected, supply an even
C. it is expected that potatoes will supply an even
D. the potato is expected to supply an even
E. expectations are for the potato to supply even a

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended meaning of the crucial part of this sentence is that potatoes are now the fourth most important crop worldwide after wheat, rice, and corn, and they are expected to supply a share of the world's nutritional requirements that is even larger than the share they supplied before.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Modifiers + Grammatical Construction + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• In a “phrase + comma + noun” construction, the phrase must correctly modify the noun; this is one of the most frequently tested concepts on GMAT sentence correction.
• A comma cannot join two independent clauses; such usage leads to the error of comma splice; to correct this error, the comma must be replaced with a semicolon or comma followed by a conjunction such as "and", "but" etc.
• Presenting a modifying phrase between two commas is a correct way to insert extra information into an independent clause.

A: The sentence formed by this answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "even a larger share"; the construction of this phrase incorrectly implies that potatoes are expected to supply a larger share of the world's nutritional requirements, in addition to something else; the intended meaning is that potatoes are expected to supply a share of the world's nutritional requirements that is even larger than the share they supplied before.

B: This answer choice incorrectly uses a pair of commas to insert the independent clause "it is expected" into the independent clause "potatoes will supply an even larger share"; remember, a comma cannot join two independent clauses; such usage leads to the error of comma splice; to correct this error, the comma must be replaced with semicolon or comma followed by a conjunction such as "and", "but" etc, and presenting a modifying phrase between two commas is a correct way to insert extra information into an independent clause.

C: This answer choice incorrectly uses "Now the fourth most important crop worldwide after wheat, rice and corn" to modify the placeholder pronoun "it", producing an incoherent meaning; the intended meaning is that potatoes are now the fourth most important crop worldwide after wheat, rice, and corn; remember, in a “phrase + comma + noun” construction, the phrase must correctly modify the noun.

D: Correct. This answer choice correctly uses "Now the fourth most important crop worldwide after wheat, rice and corn" to modify "potatoes", conveying the intended meaning - that potatoes are now the fourth most important crop worldwide after wheat, rice, and corn. Moreover, the sentence formed by Option D uses the phrase "an even larger share", conveying the intended meaning - that potatoes are expected to supply a share of the world's nutritional requirements that is even larger than the share they supplied before. Further, Option D avoids the grammatical construction error seen in Option B, as it does not use a pair of commas.

E: This answer choice incorrectly uses "Now the fourth most important crop worldwide after wheat, rice, and corn" to modify "expectations", illogically implying that expectations are now the fourth most important crop worldwide after wheat, rice, and corn; the intended meaning is that potatoes are now the fourth most important crop worldwide after wheat, rice, and corn; remember, in a “phrase + comma + noun” construction, the phrase must correctly modify the noun. Moreover, the sentence formed by Option E alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "even a larger share"; the construction of this phrase incorrectly implies that potatoes are expected to supply a larger share of the world's nutritional requirements, in addition to something else; the intended meaning is that potatoes are expected to supply a share of the world's nutritional requirements that is even larger than the share they supplied before.

Hence, D is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Phrase Comma Subject" and "Subject Comma Phrase" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

To understand the concept of "Extra Information Between Commas" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~4 minute):

To understand the concept of "Comma Splices and Run-Ons" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~5 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Haas EMBA"17
Send PM
Re: Now the fourth most important crop worldwide after wheat, rice and cor [#permalink]
sivasanjeev wrote:
Now the fourth most important crop worldwide after wheat, rice and corn, potatoes are expected to supply even a larger share of the world's nutritional requirements in the next century if genetic engineering can increase its immunity to disease and expand its range of growing habitats.

The answer is D
In A, although potato is the correct modifier, "supply even a" - sounds wordy
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [5]
Given Kudos: 4
R: K
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
akshayleo25 wrote:
sivasanjeev wrote:

The answer is D
In A, although potato is the correct modifier, "supply even a" - sounds wordy

Another problem with A is "potatoes" = plural and "its" (in non underline portion) = singular. Option A, B and C can be eliminated because of pronoun # problem. Option E : modifier problem. So IMO - D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
The placement of “even” in A actually does not make it very clear what “even” modifies. There can be two possible interpretations:
(a) potatoes are expected to even supply a larger share of the world's nutritional requirements - “even” modifying “supply”

(b) potatoes are expected to supply an even larger share of the world's nutritional requirements - “even” modifying “larger”
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 614 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Hi Experts / chetan2u,

If we just focus on the following part:
_______________________________________________________________________________________
Now the fourth most important crop worldwide after wheat, rice and corn, potatoes are expected
_______________________________________________________________________________________

On the basis of bolded words can we say the the noun should be singular..?
Additionally, in the non-underlined portion we have singular nouns ( wheat,rice and corns). Do we nee plural form (potatoes after comm...?

If in the non-underlined portion we use plural nouns
Wheat- Plural form will also be wheat
Rice- same plural form
corn- plural CORNS

Also, can we use plural form potatoes with article "THE".

Please assist.

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Can you help break down options A , B and D? Specific questions are:
1. why is plural "potatoes" incorrect?
2. what's the difference between "an even" and "even an"
3. in addition to above 2 points, is there any other error in option B?

Regards!
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2946 [11]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Kudos