Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:05 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Rotman '15 Ivey
GMAT Date: 03-28-2012
GPA: 2.8
WE:Corporate Finance (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [1]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 296 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
 Q49  V29 GMAT 2: 700  Q49  V35
Send PM
Re: NPhelan's Road to 700+ [#permalink]
This is nice, I hope you achieve what you have set out for. There will be many instances in the future whenyou will feel low and demoralized, that time this blog would up your spirits and give you the necessary thrust to break your limits. Wishing you best of luck and welcome to the GMAT cave. :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Send PM
With exams just around the corner in Taxation 6120, Intermediate Macro 3000 and Intermediate Micro 3010 along with Management Strategy 7000, i've been struggling to find a balance in studyin for school and my excitement to start studying for the GMAT. I got roughly 30 pages of my tax text read and analyzed, yet I managed to get through 106 pages of my Kaplan guide :? I think it's time that I just sit down, suck it up, and study for these courses as much as I can.

On the GMAT study front as I mentioned i'm 106 pages in an just unbelievably motivated at this time, I know that might change here and there so when the future me reads this thread, "Keep Going bud". Basically I've only gotten through the Critical Reasoning section and just started all the practice Sentence Correction questions at the end of the chapter. Very pleased and happy mainly because going into this, when I learned that the GMAT made up two sections Verbal and Quant. I was excited about quant, and dreaded verbal. I've always been a student in school that hated english class. It seemed to me that it didn't matter how much I worked at it, the most i'd ever accomplish was a 70, and it didn't matter how little I worked on it I still got that 70. You might be able to tell by my grammar that this is an issue, but who knows, maybe as I keep going through these next 4 months, my grammar will look much different in this thread.

Also on another personal life note, I just handed in a resume for a position at CIBC Wood Gundy. It is a contract 12 month position (perfect right? :lol: ) as a Sales Assistant. The job requires someone with a degree, it was fairly well hidden, and is in the field of finance. The reason this job seems to fit me perfectly is 1. The contract brings me right up until about 2 weeks before matriculation, which is perfect in case I need to pack up and drive halfway across the country to get to school . 2. A Sales Assistant is actually the entry position available at Wood Gundy (for those of you outside of Canada who are not familiar with their work, Wood Gundy is in the top five firms in Canada with regards to investing, financial planning, financial analysts), this would get my foot in the door as a great experience and open up a lot of windows down the line after my MBA whether with Wood Gundy or TD Waterhouse or Scotia Mcleod. 3. They require that whoever fills in the position takes the CSC (Canadian Securities Course). This is a course I've been eyeing anyway for two reasons: it looks good on my application when applying to Grad schools, and it is a required program if I want to work in investments.

So all in all on this Sunday morning, there's a lot of promise and excitement with regards to my future, hopefully that can carry over, I can get through my exams coming up in a couple weeks, and then I can move on and get that coveted 700+ on my GMAT. So that's all for now I suppose, thanks for listening to this verbal vomit, I promise as I get further into, primarily past the month of August this thread is going to be much more relevant for gmatclub.com, but in the meantime if it can serve as an indicator to any prospective gmat writers about some of the obstacles you might face, well that's just gravy.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 472 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Good Luck Mate
Manager
Manager
Send PM
So as my focus continues to shift from the GMAT to my final exams creeping up in less than two weeks, all I can manage to ask myself is what books/methods/study plans am I going to follow in august. I'm curious to see how that GMAT score is going to come back before I start my studying . I would love something north of 500 to give me hope that I can really make a jump, but only time will tell I guess.

Also if anyone out there is reading this, mind telling me what is the best test to take prior to my study schedule to monitor my progress? I don't want to waste a valuable test that I will need in the 3rd month of my program, but I still want something accurate.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
great advice!! thank you so much, that's what i'll do, certainly makes sense to monitor my progress by using the same standard of tests. It seems like the GMATPrep is being used in most cases in the final month. Thanks again!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
So here I am, a week from my first exam of 5 to end my undergrad program. Just a quick update on what's been keeping me this week beside the exam. How about an interview with Deloitte! Had it today and hoping to hear back next week about the position, certainly very thrilled about this opportunity as Deloitte is certainly one of those dream companies. Eventually to work in consulting with Deloitte would be amazing but not going to get ahead of myself here, I'll have to wait and hear back next week. Also with the prospect of this position for the next year (and possibly beyond), an interesting thing popped up. They not only pay for a certain percentage of your schooling for grad school, they often pay for the program and books of a CFA itself. That would be unbelievable for me, and the possibility may be too good to pass up if it presents itself. So the question to anyone out there this week.

How effective would it be to write my L1 CFA in December, keeping in mind I write my GMAT as well. Many of the positions offered by PWC or Deloitte among others require a designation, undergrad and mba. What do you thing gmatclubbers?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Exam in two days, just quickly chiming in for what will probably be the only time for the next week. Currently looking into schools that I could apply to. I've settled two specific schools and then the other 3 or 4 i'm interested in continue to rotate and flip flop. Currently Schulich and Rotman continue to prove to be my top two choices, the only thing worse then not getting into either might be getting into both :s Other schools on the radar are Concordia, Ivey. Also keeping my options open looking into Some international schools. Not sure which ones I would be the best fit for, or which ones would be the best fit for me, but I can't help but "California Dreamin" of a few options. Also been very optimistic about a couple schools in Australia and New Zealand. I've always wanted to live in New Zealand so this could be an opportunity to get an education in the Oceanic region, while getting a chance to live for the moment. I guess we'll see. Also a quick update on the Deloitte situation, just got a call from my references this week saying they have been contacted. That's great news.... right?

That's all I got right now, back to finishing my undergrad!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Quick Update: I got the call today. Just landed my Job with Deloitte. certainly makes for an interesting twist in the MBA picture and when to take it! Either way it looks like i'm on the right path to eventually get into Consulting!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
That sounds great! Thanks for the advice

kudos +1
Manager
Manager
Send PM
And after officially graduating my undergrad at Memorial University, and September 14th slowly approaching I am back in the GMAT game after a well deserved couple weeks off. I haven't posted in a little bit but I've been busy starting my new job with Deloitte, making sure I have the right materials for the studying process and set to go from there. Official date for writing the GMAT December 15th. So the three month count down will be starting on Wednesday. I plan on getting heavy into it and learning the processes and techniques to help get me above 700 on the GMAT. So here we go!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V45
GPA: 3.94
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Congratulations on your Deloitte offer (definitely a great job to have on the resume as an applicant to MBA programs), and best of luck in your preparation for the GMAT!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37312 posts