GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Nov 2018, 21:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz # 9

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

09:00 AM PST

11:00 AM PST

Join the Quiz Saturday November 17th, 9 AM PST. The Quiz will last approximately 2 hours. Make sure you are on time or you will be at a disadvantage.

Nutritionist: Obesity is becoming a very serious problem in this count

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Nutritionist: Obesity is becoming a very serious problem in this count  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2018, 11:44
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

76% (01:35) correct 24% (01:44) wrong based on 101 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Nutritionist: Obesity is becoming a very serious problem in this country, and we must actively pursue a means of combating it. I have recently conducted a 12-week weight loss study to see which is the best method for obese adults to lose weight. My study shows that the consumption of a healthy, balanced diet and the incorporation of exercise were highly successful. All patients who participated in my study lost weight by eating the recommended diet and by adding a little exercise each day.

Which of the following statements, if true, most seriously undermines the statement above?

(A) The nutritionist's income is subsidized by a government agency committed to encouraging people to lose weight by adding daily exercise.
(B) All of the patients had a very similar physical makeup and metabolic rate, two significant factors that affect the ability to lose weight.
(C) The nutritionist has been unable to come to an agreement with a colleague on what constitutes a healthy diet.
(D) All of the nutritionist's patients incorporated exactly the same form of exercise to their daily routine.
(E) There were only eighty patients who participated in the nutritionist's weight loss study.

Source: LSAT
Math Expert
V
Re: Nutritionist: Obesity is becoming a very serious problem in this count  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2018, 19:04
Nutritionist: Obesity is becoming a very serious problem in this country, and we must actively pursue a means of combating it. I have recently conducted a 12-week weight loss study to see which is the best method for obese adults to lose weight. My study shows that the consumption of a healthy, balanced diet and the incorporation of exercise were highly successful. All patients who participated in my study lost weight by eating the recommended diet and by adding a little exercise each day.

Which of the following statements, if true, most seriously undermines the statement above?

(A) The nutritionist's income is subsidized by a government agency committed to encouraging people to lose weight by adding daily exercise.
We are looking at something weakening the study of nutritionist.. nothing to do with subsidy ..

(B) All of the patients had a very similar physical makeup and metabolic rate, two significant factors that affect the ability to lose weight.
Now that's correct. If she chose people with characteristics that help in losing weight faster, then it is not the weight loss plan but these characteristics that helped them to lose weight.

(C) The nutritionist has been unable to come to an agreement with a colleague on what constitutes a healthy diet.
Out of context

(D) All of the nutritionist's patients incorporated exactly the same form of exercise to their daily routine.
this doesn't affect the claim of nutritionist

(E) There were only eighty patients who participated in the nutritionist's weight loss study
Although the number are less, but all 8 losing weight by the plan does not lessen the credibility to great extent. B is a better choice

B

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Technology, Nonprofit
WE: Analyst (Non-Profit and Government)
Premium Member
Re: Nutritionist: Obesity is becoming a very serious problem in this count  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2018, 19:42
Once I read there was a study, I was already on the lookout whether people in the study were representative of the population. Another thing which came to mind was how the study environment might be different from people's homes, offices, etc.

Option B says "patients had a very similar physical makeup and metabolic rate", so maybe this regime only works for only THESE specific kind of people.
Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests
Nutritionist: Obesity is becoming a very serious problem in this count  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 10 Jul 2018, 09:38
Option B or Option E.

E says that there were 80 participants in the weight loss program.Still 80 is a good number.

If all 8o were able to loose weight as per the program designed by the nutritionist,it would strengthen the nutritionist's conclusion.

B says that all of the patients had a very similar physical makeup and metabolic rate, two significant factors that affect the ability to lose weight.

This weakens the nutritionist's conclusion because if all patients had similar physical makeup and metabolic rate,the weight loss program may not be successful.This option gives us alternate reason.

IMO E.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All the Gods, All the Heavens, and All the Hells lie within you.

Originally posted by warrior1991 on 09 Jul 2018, 21:24.
Last edited by warrior1991 on 10 Jul 2018, 09:38, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
G
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2018, 22:07
warrior1991 wrote:
Option B or Option E.

E says that there were 8 participants in the weight loss program.Still 8 is a good number.

If all 8 were able to loose weight as per the program designed by the nutritionist,it would strengthen the nutritionist's conclusion.

B says that all of the patients had a very similar physical makeup and metabolic rate, two significant factors that affect the ability to lose weight.

This weakens the nutritionist's conclusion because if all patients had similar physical makeup and metabolic rate,the weight loss program may not be successful.This option gives us alternate reason.

IMO E.

That is exactly what we need. We need to weaken the conclusion. This is a typical sample/population CR question. And, in option E the population count is 80 and not 8.

Please mention my name in your valuable replies.

Manager
Manager
S
Schools: ISB
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V32
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2018, 22:42
warrior1991 wrote:
Option B or Option E.

E says that there were 8 participants in the weight loss program.Still 8 is a good number.

If all 8 were able to loose weight as per the program designed by the nutritionist,it would strengthen the nutritionist's conclusion.

IMO E.

The option say "Eighty" and not "Eight"

Regards,

Vaibhav

Sky is the limit. 800 is the limit.

~GMAC

Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2018, 09:39
Thanks for pointing out guys.I have corrected it.I hope my reasoning behind this is correct.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All the Gods, All the Heavens, and All the Hells lie within you.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Nutritionist: Obesity is becoming a very serious problem in this count &nbs [#permalink] 10 Jul 2018, 09:39

Nutritionist: Obesity is becoming a very serious problem in this count

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap