Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 04:03 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Meaning/Logical Predicationx   Modifiersx   Pronounsx   Verb Tense/Formx                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 729 [3]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V37
GPA: 4
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30800 [9]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30800 [1]
Send PM
Re: Not trusting themselves to choose wisely among the wide array of inves [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
sevenplusplus wrote:
egmat wrote:
Choice D uses the verb could have been bought. This verb phrase suggests a possibility of an action that could have happened but actually does not happen. This certainly is not the intended meaning of the sentence.

For the colored portion above, I feel that the intended meaning of the sentence is exactly that -- a possible present situations that have not happened --- for which "could have been" appears to be correct phrase to use.

Hello sevenplusplus,

In my explanation of Choice D, what I meant to say is that per the context of the sentence, we need to present an action that will possibly take place. That is why the sentence uses the verb could be bought.

The verb could have been bought denotes an action that certainly had the possibility to happen but actually never took place ever.

Let me present an example here:

In the accident last night, I was lucky to have lost only the headlights of my car; the damages could have been worse.

The above-mentioned sentence clearly mentions the loss I suffered. I just lost the headlights. The latter part of the sentence suggests that there was possibility of more serious damages but nothing of that sort actually took place.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 489
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
Re: Not trusting themselves to choose wisely among the wide array of inves [#permalink]
Hi Experts/ sayantanc2k,

Is my understanding below correct?

Could be bought - present tense passive
Could have been bought - present perfect passive
Could have bought - present perfect.

What is the role of could here? Its not a past tense verb of could, so its just used to show possibility? Can we say its a helping verb?

Does adding could/would to present perfect makes it a past event that didn't happen as in choice D?

Also, what's the difference in meaning in the below?

- stocks that could be easily bought directly
- stocks that could easily be bought directly

Why can't 'easily', an adverb, modify the verb 'bought' in both sentences?

Thank you!
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sdlife Yes, looks like you are on the right track with all that.

As for your final question, the point in the sentence is to show that it would have been easy to buy the stocks directly. So we need "easily" to apply not just to "bought," but to "bought directly." If we put "be" in front of "easily," we're saying that the stocks are "easily bought," and that this is happening directly. By putting "be" after "easily," we make it clear that "easily" modifies the whole thing: "be bought directly."
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1240 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
GMATNinja sayantanc2k generis
GMATNinjaTwo

Can you please confirm if SIMPLE FUTURE tense in (E) is the only one that makes sense
in the context of sentence?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [2]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
adkikani wrote:
GMATNinja sayantanc2k generis
GMATNinjaTwo

Can you please confirm if SIMPLE FUTURE tense in (E) is the only one that makes sense
in the context of sentence?

I'm not sure that I understand the question, but I'll give it a shot!

Quote:
(E) many people are turning to stockbrokers for help in buying stocks that could easily be

In (E), "are turning" is actually a form of the present tense -- if you like jargon, it's the present progressive tense, which means that it's in the present, but the "-ing" emphasizes that it's an ongoing action in the present. (More on "-ing" verbs here.)

Could you use another form of the verb here? I guess simple present ("turn" instead of "are turning") would be fine, too -- it's just that simple present describes a general characteristic, and it seems that the sentence is trying to emphasize that this change in investor behavior is happening right now. So present progressive ("are turning") is arguably better, but it wouldn't be wrong to choose simple present.

The second verb, the "could be" in the phrase "could easily be bought directly" isn't in the future tense, either -- it's present tense, but the phrase "could be" indicates possibility. If it helps, replace "could" with "can", and the meaning is reasonably similar in this particular sentence.

(E) makes sense since both verbs are in some form of the present tense. I suppose that we could rewrite this in the future tense, but it would very dramatically change the meaning of the sentence.

I'm not sure if I answered your question, but I hope this helps!
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1240 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Thank you GMATNinja

Oops for the confusion! ;) Yes I was talking about the highlighted verb:

Quote:
Not trusting themselves to choose wisely among the wide array of investment opportunities on the market, many people are turning to stockbrokers for help in buying stocks that could easily be bought directly.

I guess 'be' in passive tense confused me a bit. :-)

Does 'be' acts as a helping verb (is/are) in passive voice?

Hope we are on same page.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30800 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
adkikani wrote:
Thank you GMATNinja

Oops for the confusion! ;) Yes I was talking about the highlighted verb:

Quote:
Not trusting themselves to choose wisely among the wide array of investment opportunities on the market, many people are turning to stockbrokers for help in buying stocks that could easily be bought directly.

I guess 'be' in passive tense confused me a bit. :-)

Does 'be' acts as a helping verb (is/are) in passive voice?

Hope we are on same page.

Hello Arpit/ adkikani,

I am not sure if your doubt still persists. Here is the answer nonetheless. :-)

In Choice E, the verb could be bought is indeed in passive voice.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Given Kudos: 622
Send PM
GMATNinja I see your explanation mentioning D wrong because there is use of modal verb.
Whatever material I have gone through until now there is mention of Simple, Progressive and Perfect tenses.
It anyways is overwhelming for me and now I see a question with modal form. So, I was wondering what all forms one should know?

sayantanc2k generis egmat :
Can anyone please suggest exhaustive list of what all verb forms we need to master for GMAT?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [3]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Gmat800Champ wrote:
GMATNinja I see your explanation mentioning D wrong because there is use of modal verb.
Whatever material I have gone through until now there is mention of Simple, Progressive and Perfect tenses.
It anyways is overwhelming for me and now I see a question with modal form. So, I was wondering what all forms one should know?

Can anyone please suggest exhaustive list of what all verb forms we need to master for GMAT?

If you ask 40 different test-prep experts, you'll probably get about 40 different answers to your question! Most test-prep books basically run through EVERY verb tense, mood, and form that exists. And hey, they're all part of the English language, so in theory, they're all fair game.

But in practice? If you already have a fundamental command of English, I don't think that memorizing a crapload of verb tenses is all that helpful. But I'm a little bit of a heretic. :)

This video is basically an hourlong response to your question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxANHcxwbeM. Basically, my argument is that you should have a deep understanding of past perfect tense, since that appears frequently on the GMAT. Beyond that, the key is to have a strong grasp of how verb tenses might change the meaning of a sentence -- but I personally don't think that it's helpful to obsess over the technicalities of most other verb forms, as long as you have an intuitive grasp of their meaning.

I hope the video helps a bit!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
Send PM
Thanks for your reply GMATNinja. I have gone through your videos and they are pretty good.
I am stuck in V30's and on my analysis of OG 2018 I found I got most of the Verb forms questions wrong.
So, I am kind of wondering what else I need to understand and master to reach elite V40.
I still have few questions of OG left to be practiced. So, what else should I practice? Could you please guide me on that?

GMATNinja wrote:
Gmat800Champ wrote:

If you ask 40 different test-prep experts, you'll probably get about 40 different answers to your question! Most test-prep books basically run through EVERY verb tense, mood, and form that exists. And hey, they're all part of the English language, so in theory, they're all fair game.

But in practice? If you already have a fundamental command of English, I don't think that memorizing a crapload of verb tenses is all that helpful. But I'm a little bit of a heretic. :)

This video is basically an hourlong response to your question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxANHcxwbeM. Basically, my argument is that you should have a deep understanding of past perfect tense, since that appears frequently on the GMAT. Beyond that, the key is to have a strong grasp of how verb tenses might change the meaning of a sentence -- but I personally don't think that it's helpful to obsess over the technicalities of most other verb forms, as long as you have an intuitive grasp of their meaning.

I hope the video helps a bit!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [4]

Send PM
Kudos