Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 06:31 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 06:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: Merage (A$)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V33
GPA: 2.93
WE:Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: GMAT prep books sequence [#permalink]
jasjaa wrote:
1. Kaplan GMAT 2012 Premier
2. The Official Guide for GMAT Review
3. The Official Guide for GMAT Quantitative Review
4. The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review
5. Foundations of GMAT Verbal (Manhattan GMAT Preparation Guide: Foundations of Verbal)
6. Foundations of GMAT Math: GMAT Strategy Supplement (Manhattan GMAT Preparation Guide: Foundations of Math)
7. Manhattan GMAT Set of 8 Strategy Guides, Fourth Edition (Manhattan GMAT Strategy Guides)

Is there any suggested sequence?

Certainly agree with the others to start with a diagnosis.

But given the books you use think about going through Kaplan Premier and whenever you don't understand the "short" explanation at the beginning of the chapter grab a hold of the foundations book. The official guides are more a big collection of questions.

I would recommend a test - see where you are. Big weak spots --> take the foundations.

Decent performance (>25 Verbal, >30 Quant) go for Kaplan Premier and work your way thorugh and go back in fundamentals if needed.

Do another test and then go through the questions in the official GMAT. Keep track of errors and find your weak spots.

Use the MGMAT Guides for the weak spots and you have a great chance of a really nice score.

What prep time did you have in mind? Or what score?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [1]
Given Kudos: 916
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q42 V44
GMAT 3: 680 Q44 V39
GMAT 4: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Hey,

good book collection you have ;)

I'm just starting with nearly the same materials as you. I have a slightly different approach than the one, offered by the other people. It all depends on the you view.

As you think to dedicate the entire year to your preparation (I would rather change that and try to do until the 6th of June one attempt, as then the GMAT format will change and there will be new MGMAT, Kaplan and OG books as well), I would start with both Foundation book, no matter in what sequence, and then make a GMATPrep CAT in order to gauge my level. Should be dobe in around 3-4 weeks.

Than have a look on the Kaplan Premier to get some general feeling about the strategies, used in exam preparation and the GMAT itself.

Finally, start reading all 8 MGMAT Strategy Guides, whereas I think they are the most important source of information. Study them slowly, write down everything you don't know cold, and complete OG's questions mentioned in every chapter. If you succeed doing this in 2-2,5 months, then the remaining time until June can be dedicated to completing the remaining MGMAT CAT's as well as GMAT Prep tests.

The error log is obligatory!

At least that's the approach which I aim to apply.

Regards,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
I agree. I also have just started with the 8 MGMAT guides. I have read dozens of posts, plenty recommending starting with a CAT to gauge my starting position. I just took my first pass through the first chapter book #1, 'Number Properties'... boy am I rusty.

I am going to slowly make my way through, similarly, and take notes on the important things and what I don't know cold. Work my way through the problem sets at the end of each chapter and do this for a couple of weeks, repeating the problems and getting the process down. Once my OG 12's arrive, I might do a few problems from there (only a few) but am more likely to do practice problems from my Kaplan Premiere '12 book. Then do a CAT, gauge where I stand, and continue along. I will likely spend anywhere between my last 2-3 weeks doing CATs.

This is a tentative outline. I plan to be flexible with my studies, and address my problem areas the most, as the develop/make themselves apparent.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
Looks like a plan. I've also just begun. From what I've gathered about the OG's, you may be underestimating the value of completely exhausting those resources.
GMAT Club Bot