Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 23:50 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 23:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2138 [7]
Given Kudos: 193
 Q29  V6 GMAT 3: 430  Q31  V19
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 356 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 956 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [1]
Send PM
Re: Condon [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Onell wrote:
Guys,
is soaring over the foothills... in option A not a squinting modifier? Why can't it modify "the sky"

Let's look at the original sentence:

High in the sky, soaring over the foothills that on hot, dry days look like brushed brown suede, the condor attains a majesty that is rare among birds in flight.

Now let's break it down to its structure:

"High in the sky, [soaring...], the condor..."

Where is the main part of the sentence?

It's here:
"High in the sky, [soaring...], [main sentence]"

So structurally, the -ING verb "soaring" is positioned to describe the subject of the main sentence--which is "the condor." Ask yourself if that makes sense. Do condors "soar over the foothills"??? Yes. It makes sense.

You asked why "soaring over the foothills" does not describe "sky"--well, here's two reasons:

1) Structurally, it's not positioned to describe sky. This is the "description, main sentence" framework we go in further detail in GMATPill.

2) Meaning-wise, it doesn't make sense.

You always need to check these two components. In this case, neither one works in the favor of modifying "sky" so you know "soaring" must modify something else--in this case, the "condor."

So yes, answer is (A).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 956 [0]
Send PM
Re: Condon [#permalink]
GMATPILL,
I got a similar sentence from og12, but with adverbial modifier

Although various eighteenth and nineteenth-century American poets had professed an interest in Native American poetry and had pretended to imitate Native American forms in their own works, until almost 1900,scholars and critics did not begin seriously to study traditional Native American poetry in native languages.

Until Almost 1900 => adverbial modifier
Scholars and critics did not ....=> main sentence (INDEPENDENT CLAUSE )
Although...=> Dependent Clause

You wrote that
gmatpill wrote:
1) Structurally, it's not positioned to describe sky. This is the "description, main sentence"

From you explanation until almost 1900 should modify verb of the main sentence (Did not begin) However OG says .until almost 1900 can refer back to the first verb (professed) or forward to the next verb (did not begin)?

In our original sentence why is modifier not positioned to describe sky structurally?
Am I missing sth?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [2]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Send PM
Re: High in the sky, soaring over the foothills that on hot, dry [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
even two modifiers back to back does are causing awkwardness in A.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1005 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Finance,Entrepreneurship,General Management
Schools:Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Send PM
Option A seems to be right.All the rest seem awkward .
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
High in the sky, soaring over the foothills that on hot, dry days look like brushed brown suede, the condor attains a majesty that is rare among birds in flight.

Here is my reasoning

High in the sky, soaring over the foothills that on hot, dry days look like brushed brown suede, the condor attains a majesty that is rare among birds in flight "SOARING ..." MODIFIES SKY

The condor, being high in the sky and soaring over foothills that on hot, dry days look like brushed brown suede, attains a rare majesty among birds in flight BEING USAGE IS AWKWARD

The condor, when it is high in the sky and soars over the foothills that on hot dry days look as if they might be brushed dry suede, attains a majesty that is rare among birds in flight GIVES A SENSE AS IF IT ATTAINS... ONLY WHEN IT SOARS

On hot, dry days, when the foothills look like brushed brown suede and the condor, high in the sky, soars over them, it attains a majesty that is rare among birds in flight RUN ON

Attaining a majesty that is rare among birds in flight, high in the sky, the condor soars over foothills that look like brushed brown suede on hot, dry days LOOKS PERFECT

What is wrong with my reasoning above?

Why can't E be the right answer?

Why can't "soaring ..." modify "sky" in A. ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 246
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
manhasnoname wrote:

Here is my reasoning

High in the sky, soaring over the foothills that on hot, dry days look like brushed brown suede, the condor attains a majesty that is rare among birds in flight "SOARING ..." MODIFIES SKY

The condor, being high in the sky and soaring over foothills that on hot, dry days look like brushed brown suede, attains a rare majesty among birds in flight BEING USAGE IS AWKWARD

The condor, when it is high in the sky and soars over the foothills that on hot dry days look as if they might be brushed dry suede, attains a majesty that is rare among birds in flight GIVES A SENSE AS IF IT ATTAINS... ONLY WHEN IT SOARS

On hot, dry days, when the foothills look like brushed brown suede and the condor, high in the sky, soars over them, it attains a majesty that is rare among birds in flight RUN ON

Attaining a majesty that is rare among birds in flight, high in the sky, the condor soars over foothills that look like brushed brown suede on hot, dry days LOOKS PERFECT

What is wrong with my reasoning above?

Why can't E be the right answer?

Why can't "soaring ..." modify "sky" in A. ?

High in the sky in option E modifies birds in flight, and it is supposed to modify condor. So that`s the reason option E is wrong.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 474 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
soumanag wrote:
High in the sky, soaring over the foothills that on hot, dry days look like brushed brown suede, the condor attains a majesty that is rare among birds in flight - Noting wrong with this one!

The condor, being high in the sky and soaring over foothills that on hot, dry days look like brushed brown suede, attains a rare majesty among birds in flight

The condor, when it is high in the sky and soars over the foothills that on hot dry days look as if they might be brushed dry suede, attains a majesty that is rare among birds in flight

On hot, dry days, when the foothills look like brushed brown suede and the condor, high in the sky, soars over them, it attains a majesty that is rare among birds in flight -Pronoun error

Attaining a majesty that is rare among birds in flight, high in the sky, the condor soars over foothills that look like brushed brown suede on hot, dry days - Clause Attaining a majesty that is rare among birds in flight modifies high in the sky.
Correct option: A

In choice D, 'them' can't be used to describe foothills? I picked up D coz I found it okay.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts