Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 14:29 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 14:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 916
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q42 V44
GMAT 3: 680 Q44 V39
GMAT 4: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT Date: 06-30-2012
GPA: 3.7
WE:Accounting (Insurance)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Business - Finance
Schools:Columbia Business School, Goizueta, Sloan
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Re: Need Help : GMAT Prep using Manhattan GMAT 8 guides [#permalink]
sbharath,

I felt the same when I started. I was really frustrated because I expected that I would be more familiar with the material that I was about to read. But I was not. So I began to doubt myself. However, I have recently finished all the 8 guides and the accompanying problems from the OG and the 2 reviews. It took me around 2 months with my normal studying pace. Then, I decided it is time to read them all again with the extra focus on my weak areas.

Here is the good part. I get to read one guide/day without feeling I am rushing (I decided not to go over OG problems from the error log just yet). I can finally feel the limited scope of the test, especially in the Quant section. As far as the verbal section is concerned that could be tricky because in my opinition to do well in Verbal if you are a non-native speaker you need to read outside of GMAT material. GMAT Fiction is one example of outside reading.

So if you ask me, the beginning is by far the hardest part of the GMAT. I also think that once you are done with the first round of reading the guides, things should become significantly easier.

To try to answer your questions now:

1) Make sure you do the referenced problems from the OG once the guide tells you so. It is a good way of learning. Also, make sure you have an error log when doing problems from the OG/Reviews because it will help you identify your weak areas.
2) Perhaps the best thing you can do is this: Schedule the test right now at the latest possible date in May. Then, you will know exactly what amount of time you have left. Allot the time on the basis of the size of the material and stick to it. That would probably mean that you will have to rush but it all depends on your studying pace. Sorry I cannot help you more.
3) I find MGMAT amazing. The only thing they lack, or maybe could not help people out with, is the RC part of the Verbal. As I said, I believe that is where GMAT Fiction kicks in, or how much you read at work (i.e. you are an analyst) and/or during your free time.

Keep your head high and it will get easier with time!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Everybody's learning style is a bit different. If going through books is tough for you, perhaps a video approach would be helpful for you.
After all, it's tough to focus on even more reading after a busy day at work. Mental focus is important for your preparation so a more relaxed video solution may be beneficial for you.

Try this one: https://www.gmatpill.com/presentations/q ... final3.mp4
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
Using the same guides along with the OG set (12th ed., quant, and verbal). Here's what I'm planning to do:

-Get through the MGMAT guides ASAP. At the end of each chapter, complete the problems sets. DO NOT do the OG problems yet.
-Take a CAT exam or two to see where I'm at after completing MGMAT guides.
-Go back to MGMAT guides, taking all OG problems listed, creating an error log, and then focusing on my weak spots until test day.

This is just my strategy, yours might be something different. Just figured I'd throw my two cents in since I'm using pretty much the same guides as you. Test day: May 17th.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
My test day is May 18th and I have just begun my re-prep with the same books as you have listed (plus a few more)! It definitely can be discouraging looking at a huge stack of prep books that you have to go through, knowing that it isn't always going to be "fun"... but it will pay off in the end. :)

I have set myself up with a strict schedule of finishing one book a week, leaving a couple weeks right before the exam just to focus on practice exams and review. Some weeks will be easier than others.

2 hours during the week and 5 on weekends can be sufficient. Just make sure you make the most of your time and try to study without any distractions. I know with kids it will be difficult, but maybe you can do it in the early morning before they wake up. Start off with the books that cover subjects that you are having the most difficulty in.

Best of luck with your studying! :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 105
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.08
Send PM
Bookmarks
Hello sbsarath,

I'm in a very similar situation. I just purchased all 8 books and I plan on taking the exam in about 3 months. I find the material is quite dense, but I'm approaching this situation systematically:

-Finish one booklet a week
-Do all practice questions at end of booklet each week
-Keep error log
-Do a CAT exam every 2 weeks

I should theoretically be done all the MGMAT material in about 2 months leaving me a month to go over all my problem areas and do more CAT tests. I plan on spending about 2 hours during the work week and 5 hours each day on the weekend (potentially more if I have the CAT)

Voila, hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I'm working through the "Problem Solving" section of MGMAT and it can be very frustrating, especially once you realize that the answer was rather easy.

My suggestion is to use a time log, like Grindstone, which will allow you to calculate how much time you spend studying, and help you push yourself to reach your studying expectations of yourself.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT Date: 03-10-2012
GPA: 3
Send PM
Same Situation Here.
I have only One Month preparing for the Test. I have all 8 Books and i will go through number properties, geometry, Word Problems, SC and Cr.
If i have Time left, i will Look over the other Books.
I am also working fulltime, but i learn 4-5 hours/Day. I spent One month only for this Test. I Hope I will Never Need to learn for this Test again ;)
I Need only 600 points.

My question: is it necessary to go through the Advanced Part of every Book to Score at least 600?

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Manager
Manager
Send PM
chrisjamez wrote:
I'm working through the "Problem Solving" section of MGMAT and it can be very frustrating, especially once you realize that the answer was rather easy.

My suggestion is to use a time log, like Grindstone, which will allow you to calculate how much time you spend studying, and help you push yourself to reach your studying expectations of yourself.

Good luck!

Do you know of any alternative programs to track the time for mac computers? It would be tremendously helpful and a tool I would want to use.
Manhattan GMAT Online Marketing Associate
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Kudos
Hey guys,

I know there's a ton of material to cover in the MGMAT Strategy Guides and it can be overwhelming without a study plan. One of our instructors, Stacey Koprince, has a really good article on how to develop a study plan: https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... tudy-plan/ I hope some of you find it helpful. She also has a ton of other articles on our blog for students at all different stages of GMAT prep. If you're still stuck, try contacting our helpful and responsive Student Services department (800-576-4628 studentservices@manhattangmat.com) or post questions on our forums (https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/)--we're always happy to help out. Good luck!

Best,
Matt Mapplebeck
Online Marketing Associate
Manhattan GMAT
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thank you for the link! There is some helpful advice in that blog column.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT Date: 06-13-2012
Send PM
Hello. Since lots of guys here are studying with the MGMAT material. In the first round, did you do the advance sections in the books aswell or did you skip these?

Thanks,

Andreas
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I'm personally going through the entire booklet for each section, including the advanced part.
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Send PM
We suggest that you master the content covered in the General material before moving to Advanced material. That is, make sure you're completely comfortable with with the General reading, the General In Action problems, and the General OG problems (at least the Benchmark problems) before moving to the Advanced reading, In Actions and OG problems.

It's important to first build a solid foundation in all eight subjects by mastering the General material before focusing on any Advanced work.

I hope this helps! Good luck with your GMAT studies.

Best,
Matt Mapplebeck
Manhattan GMAT
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT Date: 06-13-2012
Send PM
mmapplebeck wrote:
We suggest that you master the content covered in the General material before moving to Advanced material. That is, make sure you're completely comfortable with with the General reading, the General In Action problems, and the General OG problems (at least the Benchmark problems) before moving to the Advanced reading, In Actions and OG problems.

It's important to first build a solid foundation in all eight subjects by mastering the General material before focusing on any Advanced work.

I hope this helps! Good luck with your GMAT studies.

Best,
Matt Mapplebeck
Manhattan GMAT

Cool, thanks. So do I get you right, you're saying e.g. with Number Properties I'm going to chapter 1-8, then do the next guide and so on. After I've mastered all the basic concepts, I can do NP chapter's 9-13?
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
That's right. The chapters will vary by what edition you have but the idea is to master the general sections in all the Guides before worrying about any of the advanced sections.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 312 [0]
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
mmapplebeck wrote:
Hey guys,

I know there's a ton of material to cover in the MGMAT Strategy Guides and it can be overwhelming without a study plan. One of our instructors, Stacey Koprince, has a really good article on how to develop a study plan: https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... tudy-plan/ I hope some of you find it helpful. She also has a ton of other articles on our blog for students at all different stages of GMAT prep. If you're still stuck, try contacting our helpful and responsive Student Services department (800-576-4628 studentservices@manhattangmat.com) or post questions on our forums (https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/)--we're always happy to help out. Good luck!

Best,
Matt Mapplebeck
Manhattan GMAT

Hi there!
Last year, i bought the whole set of strategy books(4th edition) but had no time to prepare for as i was working for a full time JOB. Now i am going to invest my time to prepare for the test again. Also, i have heard that the MGMAT strategy books 5th edition are out in the marke,t so i would like to know what changes have been made to the new edition. Are they more chapters added on it? Do you think i should get the latest addition or should i start with the oldest edition. I just bought the online MGMAT practice tests. Thank you in advance!
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Send PM
rajman41 wrote:
Hi there!
Last year, i bought the whole set of strategy books(4th edition) but had no time to prepare for as i was working for a full time JOB. Now i am going to invest my time to prepare for the test again. Also, i have heard that the MGMAT strategy books 5th edition are out in the marke,t so i would like to know what changes have been made to the new edition. Are they more chapters added on it? Do you think i should get the latest addition or should i start with the oldest edition. I just bought the online MGMAT practice tests. Thank you in advance!

In short, you'll be perfectly fine with most of the 4th edition guides. However, you may want to consider purchasing the GMAT Roadmap and Integrated Reasoning & Essay guides (both new) and the CR guide (heavily revised). For more information, here's an unbiased review from bb: manhattan-gmat-4th-edition-vs-5th-edition-136713.html

All the best!

Matt
GMAT Club Bot