Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 11:16 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 11:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
WE:Sales (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink]
Nope, as far as I can tell they are just your everyday applicant. They both made no special connections with ad com, ad deans etc, not saying those things don't help but that there is no true exact science behind it, and no full proof plan. They didn't work with any notable F500 or save the world in their downtime. I'm just praying that the right set of circumstances befall me to be in the same situation as they are/were.

I talked to an admissions member I know at Darden after I read that someone on this forum didn't get in with a 770 & 3.7gpa and his first response was "that kid's probably going to Harvard so why would we accept him then he rejects us" that was an eye opener for me. So you turn down an overqualified candidate just like a job would, because they may not be happy/right/fit in with your program kind of makes sense but goes against everything we strive for as applicants. Again a point of view that would've been good to know prior to applying, it would save a lot headache & heart ache when stressing over every 10 points on the GMAT or sentence structure on an essay.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Nonprofit, Organizational Behavior
GPA: 3.45
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
for those of you who have been waitlisted by Yale SOM, what are your next steps? I read through the FAQ they sent and it left me a bit confused, it sounded a bit like "if you don't get a promotion or retake the gmat don't bother contacting us"... thoughts?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Has there been any Haas activity recently? My application is still showing as "under review" .... at this point i'm assuming a ding.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Qwill wrote:
I talked to an admissions member I know at Darden after I read that someone on this forum didn't get in with a 770 & 3.7gpa and his first response was "that kid's probably going to Harvard so why would we accept him then he rejects us" that was an eye opener for me. So you turn down an overqualified candidate just like a job would, because they may not be happy/right/fit in with your program kind of makes sense but goes against everything we strive for as applicants.

Call me naive, but I would imagine that for an "overqualified" applicant it would really come down to how well you can articulate your desire to be at the school. Any business school that encounters an applicant with those stats would be crazy not to at least give them a look... provided that they've shown a desire to be at that school. What if you really like a certain professor at the school, or you are enticed by a specific program and how well they place at your dream company, or you're tied to the location of that school in some way, etc etc? That stuff would hopefully come out in the essays/interview/your interaction with the school.

I don't even think the bar is *that* high to show your interest in a school and how well it matches with your career aspirations, especially for a smaller school that cares more about "fit" (like Darden seems to do). If you live outside of VA are and took the time/money to take a self-initiated trip, I would guess that would be significant. Or even attended a few Darden events in your area, or reached out proactively (read: not right before the app was due) to an alum... something that shows that you're not just throwing your name in the hat.

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is: I think one of the big reasons that so many schools speak to fit and self-awareness on the MBA trail is because a lot of us applicants are not as self-aware as we might think, and a good chunk of us might need to show a commitment to schools that might not look like they make sense at face value. The adcoms are pretty good at determining which applicants put a full effort to their app and which ones come off in their interviews as genuine, even if we think we're pulling it off.

Just my .02.

Originally posted by a82 on 28 Feb 2012, 08:04.
Last edited by a82 on 28 Feb 2012, 08:51, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
kheti wrote:
Has there been any Haas activity recently? My application is still showing as "under review" .... at this point i'm assuming a ding.

I've heard that Haas takes longer than most schools do. Haas R2 applicants (12/1 submit deadline) are just receiving their admit decisions now, and a few R2 folks on the Berkeley thread were getting interview invites into February.

My guess is that R2 Consortium applicants are tied somewhat to Haas's R3 schedule (1/18 submit deadline), which might be good news since I haven't read about any R3 Haas folks getting interview invites yet on the other thread.

It was also mentioned on this thread a while back that Haas supposedly has to manually transcribe our Consortium applications into their systems.. which sounds like it could take awhile. Plus, when you factor in the lag between our Consortium submit date and the time they take to make sure our apps are completed before forwarding them to the schools, etc etc

This is what I keep telling myself, anyway. lol.

All that said, I have no idea how their timelines impact the Consortium "Draft Day".
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
a82 wrote:
kheti wrote:

I've heard that Haas takes longer than most schools do. Haas R2 applicants (12/1 submit deadline) are just receiving their admit decisions now, and a few R2 folks on the Berkeley thread were getting interview invites into February.

My guess is that R2 Consortium applicants are tied somewhat to Haas's R3 schedule (1/18 submit deadline), which might be good news since I haven't read about any R3 Haas folks getting interview invites yet on the other thread.

It was also mentioned on this thread a while back that Haas supposedly has to manually transcribe our Consortium applications into their systems.. which sounds like it could take awhile. Plus, when you factor in the lag between our Consortium submit date and the time they take to make sure our apps are completed before forwarding them to the schools, etc etc

This is what I keep telling myself, anyway. lol.

All that said, I have no idea how their timelines impact the Consortium "Draft Day".

I get the sense that even if there is a bit of a Consortium R2 Haas lag, that they've tried the best they could to lump in Consortium folks into R2 and not R3. My understanding is that all Consortium decisions go out March 1st (with notifications starting earlier). There might be some lags in this, but I think they'll obviously have to have all their admits and picks before the mid-March draft day.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
WE:Corporate Finance (Real Estate)
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:
mooze wrote:
Just thought I would share a complete status on my app cycle,..in summary, NOT LOOKING GOOD! Breakdown is by Consortium ranking (R2).

1. Tuck - Self initiated interview
2. Haas - Heard nothing (assuming a ding if i havent heard by now)
3. Darden - Was contacted last Wednesday (2/22) by the lady in charge of Consortium apps, she asked me to fill out and send in a Va residency form. I did so the following Thursday (2/23). Besides that, nothing.
4. Ross - Invited to interview in the first wave, interviewed on Jan/22nd.
5. Yale - Ding w/ out interview.

Non-Consortium

Wharton - Ding w/ out interview (this was a far reach for me, so not that disappointed)

So right now its looking like a good chance Ross may be my only interview. In which case my chances of going to B-school would be 50/50. I was previously hopeful about Tuck,..but the fact that I was dinged w/out interview by so many schools of similar competitiveness has battered my confidence in a Tuck acceptance. The fact that all the marbles may be in the Ross bag has me so nervous.

Also, my stats for anyone curious,...3.1 gpa 680 Gmat....so not very good stats but I thought I had good story to tell and I've been told that I'm an exceptional writer and I felt my essays were very good.

It looks like i'll be sweating it to the very end. So thats my breakdown,..good luck everyone.

I know that Wharton is a reach for you and you're trying to be realistic about your chances. However, it's not over til it's over. Wharton DOES send invites on the last day. You may be surprised to find you have one tomorrow. Don't claim the ding before it's donged.

Was just officially DINGED at Wharton,..so, there it is.

I'm already lining up my resources for next year's cycle in the event I don't get into school this year,..but I pray Ross pulls through for me, otherwise it will be a long summer.

6 apps and so far only 1 interview to show for it. But I only need one.
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Send PM
mooze wrote:
cheetarah1980 wrote:
mooze wrote:
Just thought I would share a complete status on my app cycle,..in summary, NOT LOOKING GOOD! Breakdown is by Consortium ranking (R2).

1. Tuck - Self initiated interview
2. Haas - Heard nothing (assuming a ding if i havent heard by now)
3. Darden - Was contacted last Wednesday (2/22) by the lady in charge of Consortium apps, she asked me to fill out and send in a Va residency form. I did so the following Thursday (2/23). Besides that, nothing.
4. Ross - Invited to interview in the first wave, interviewed on Jan/22nd.
5. Yale - Ding w/ out interview.

Non-Consortium

Wharton - Ding w/ out interview (this was a far reach for me, so not that disappointed)

So right now its looking like a good chance Ross may be my only interview. In which case my chances of going to B-school would be 50/50. I was previously hopeful about Tuck,..but the fact that I was dinged w/out interview by so many schools of similar competitiveness has battered my confidence in a Tuck acceptance. The fact that all the marbles may be in the Ross bag has me so nervous.

Also, my stats for anyone curious,...3.1 gpa 680 Gmat....so not very good stats but I thought I had good story to tell and I've been told that I'm an exceptional writer and I felt my essays were very good.

It looks like i'll be sweating it to the very end. So thats my breakdown,..good luck everyone.

I know that Wharton is a reach for you and you're trying to be realistic about your chances. However, it's not over til it's over. Wharton DOES send invites on the last day. You may be surprised to find you have one tomorrow. Don't claim the ding before it's donged.

Was just officially DINGED at Wharton,..so, there it is.

I'm already lining up my resources for next year's cycle in the event I don't get into school this year,..but I pray Ross pulls through for me, otherwise it will be a long summer.

6 apps and so far only 1 interview to show for it. But I only need one.

You also still have Tuck, man.

It ain't over until the fat lady sings :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
WE:Corporate Finance (Real Estate)
Send PM
Kudos
gablaze23 wrote:
You also still have Tuck, man.

It ain't over until the fat lady sings :)

True true....Oddly, thinking about and preparing for a next year cycle (although far from neccesary at this point) is kinda comforting. In a way it lets me know that even if the worst comes to fruition for this cycle, in the greater scheme of things its not that bad. A lot of us forget that fact in all our angst. I probably forget it more than most,...I've been a nervous wreck since Jan. 5th.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
WE:Sales (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
I just called Haas.... again (I pray they don't recognize my voice at this point!) the woman I spoke with did say that Rd2 consortium did align more so with the general population's Rd2, and she believed MOST of the interview invitations for have gone out already at this point :-(. Bummer, I spent SOOO much freggin effort on that Berkeley app that I'm gonna be bitter if I don't even get an interview. Hopefully there I still a ray of hope. I've always heard those border school (ranked 5-8 minus Kellogg) seemingly get caught up with stats more than the top 4. There my not be a shred of truth in that and may just be the jilted lover feeling talking, but at least that would give me something else to whine about.

F***ing GMAT

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
GMAT 1: 730 Q44 V46
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.49
Send PM
Just had my heart skip a beat when I looked in my inbox...

Email from Tuck:

Quote:
Dear, MyName
Greetings from Hanover! Thank you for applying to the Tuck School of the Business at Dartmouth College. I just wanted confirm that we have officially received your application and supporting materials from The Consortium for Graduate Study in Management. Your application is complete and is currently being reviewed by the Tuck Admission Committee as part of our January admission round. January round admission decisions will be released on March 16th 2012. Thanks again for your interest in Tuck and please feel to contact me if you should have any questions.
Best Regards,
Geoff Ringwald
Tuck Admissions

Others get this, too? (just noticed - "Tuck School of the Business" oops :))
Intern
Intern
Send PM
suchdaddy wrote:
I just called Haas.... again (I pray they don't recognize my voice at this point!) the woman I spoke with did say that Rd2 consortium did align more so with the general population's Rd2, and she believed MOST of the interview invitations for have gone out already at this point :-(. Bummer, I spent SOOO much freggin effort on that Berkeley app that I'm gonna be bitter if I don't even get an interview. Hopefully there I still a ray of hope. I've always heard those border school (ranked 5-8 minus Kellogg) seemingly get caught up with stats more than the top 4. There my not be a shred of truth in that and may just be the jilted lover feeling talking, but at least that would give me something else to whine about.

F***ing GMAT

*sigh* ah well, so much for the false hope. Good luck everyone.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V44
GPA: 3.59
Send PM
Any R2 applicants still waiting/hoping for a UCLA interview invite? Or should I start drinking now?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Faro,

I got that email from tuck, when I saw the subject line I almost pulled a "half baked" and quit my job and told everyone f-you, f-you, f-you, you're cool I'm out. good thing I read the email first, once my heart came back online, i could only laugh at how quickly my mind wandered to what that admit would mean, then went back to work with a smile on my face, thankful I have a great job, company, boss etc.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
New to GMAT club. Consortium applicant. I got the same e-mal from Tuck. I swore I was in. The subject line is very decieveing. When is Tucks admitted students weekend? Does anyone know?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Operations, General Management
WE:Corporate Finance (Transportation)
Send PM
My heart skipped a beat when I saw that Tuck email. That email was completely unnecessary.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
suchdaddy wrote:

F***ing GMAT

I'm with you. My quant score was way lower than they like to see, and i knew it would be an issue but prayed that the fact i have a 3.5 and 30+ credits in finance and accounting would make up for it. guess not :cry:
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  69   70   71   72   73  ...  118   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts