Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 11:17 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 11:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Theoryx   
Show Tags
Hide Tags
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10038 [0]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.08
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [4]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: Math: Combinatorics [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
just wanted to throw these videos from khan academy out there, super helpful in dumbing down the concepts and holding your hand through it

combinations:

https://www.khanacademy.org/math/probabi ... inations_1

permutations:

https://www.khanacademy.org/math/probabi ... utations_1

These should be required watching, MGMAT does a thorough job of confusing my ass in this area.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Great post., Many thanks!!
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619687 [0]
Given Kudos: 81613
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bumping for review*.

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

All Theory Topics: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=351
MATH BOOK: gmat-math-book-87417.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Hi - I'm a little confused by the last part of the explanation above:

"here is a basket with 4 blue balls, 3 red balls and 2 yellow balls. The balls of the same color are identical. How many ways can a child pick balls out of this basket ?

Solution
We combine techniques from the 2 cases above. Consider the blue balls as one entity and instead of asking the yes/no question, ask the question how many ways to choose the balls ? This is answered using the second case, and the answer is (4+1). Combining this with the ways to choose red and yellow balls, the overall ways to choose balls would be (4+1)*(3+1)*(2+1)."

What is the + 1 for and how can we just multiply the 3 sets - 4*3*2? Can't the child pick all 4 blue and no red etc?
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10019 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
russ9 wrote:
What is the + 1 for and how can we just multiply the 3 sets - 4*3*2? Can't the child pick all 4 blue and no red etc?

+1 is for NOT choosing any of the n identical balls.

Hope that helps :)
Attachments

Untitled123.png
Untitled123.png [ 10.2 KiB | Viewed 13116 times ]

Manager
Manager
Send PM
walker wrote:

Combination

A combination is an unordered collection of k objects taken from a set of n distinct objects. The number of ways how we can choose k objects out of n distinct objects is denoted as:

\(C^n_k\)

knowing how to find the number of arrangements of n distinct objects we can easily find formula for combination:

1. The total number of arrangements of n distinct objects is n!
2. Now we have to exclude all arrangements of k objects (k!) and remaining (n-k) objects ((n-k)!) as the order of chosen k objects and remained (n-k) objects doesn't matter.

\(C^n_k = \frac{n!}{k!(n-k)!}\)

Permutation

A permutation is an ordered collection of k objects taken from a set of n distinct objects. The number of ways how we can choose k objects out of n distinct objects is denoted as:

\(P^n_k\)

knowing how to find the number of arrangements of n distinct objects we can easily find formula for combination:

2. Now we have to exclude all arrangements of remaining (n-k) objects ((n-k)!) as the order of remained (n-k) objects doesn't matter.

\(P^n_k = \frac{n!}{(n-k)!}\)

If we exclude order of chosen objects from permutation formula, we will get combination formula:

\(\frac{P^n_k}{k!} = C^n_k\)

Hello friends - this page seems to be the best find yet. I've been using Manhattan gmat books and their content on Combinatorics and Probability is pretty lacking so please excuse my rudimentary questions.

One topic that i'm having a very hard time grasping is the "ordered vs. unordered" set. Seems like Permutation is ordered and Combination is unordered. I have absolutely no clue what that means and more importantly, I can't connect the dots to figure out why it affects the equations the way it does?

Any help would be appreciated.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619687 [2]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
russ9 wrote:
walker wrote:

Combination

A combination is an unordered collection of k objects taken from a set of n distinct objects. The number of ways how we can choose k objects out of n distinct objects is denoted as:

\(C^n_k\)

2. Now we have to exclude all arrangements of k objects (k!) and remaining (n-k) objects ((n-k)!) as the order of chosen k objects and remained (n-k) objects doesn't matter.

Permutation

A permutation is an ordered collection of k objects taken from a set of n distinct objects. The number of ways how we can choose k objects out of n distinct objects is denoted as:

\(P^n_k\)

2. Now we have to exclude all arrangements of remaining (n-k) objects ((n-k)!) as the order of remained (n-k) objects doesn't matter.

If we exclude order of chosen objects from permutation formula, we will get combination formula:

Hello friends - this page seems to be the best find yet. I've been using Manhattan gmat books and their content on Combinatorics and Probability is pretty lacking so please excuse my rudimentary questions.

One topic that i'm having a very hard time grasping is the "ordered vs. unordered" set. Seems like Permutation is ordered and Combination is unordered. I have absolutely no clue what that means and more importantly, I can't connect the dots to figure out why it affects the equations the way it does?

In how many way we can choose two letters out of {a, b, c}, of the order of the letters does not matter?

{a, b}
{a, c}
{b, c}

So, in 3 ways: \(C^2_3=3\).

In how many way we can choose two letters out of {a, b, c}, of the order of the letters matters?

{a, b}
{b, a}
{a, c}
{c, a}
{b, c}
{c, b}

So, in 6 ways: \(P^2_3=6\).

I'd advice to go through easier questions on the topic to understand better. Check here: ds-question-directory-by-topic-difficulty-128728.html and here: gmat-ps-question-directory-by-topic-difficulty-127957.html

Hope it helps.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
russ9 wrote:
walker wrote:

Combination

\(C^n_k\)

Permutation

\(P^n_k\)

In how many way we can choose two letters out of {a, b, c}, of the order of the letters does not matter?

{a, b}
{a, c}
{b, c}

So, in 3 ways: \(C^2_3=3\).

In how many way we can choose two letters out of {a, b, c}, of the order of the letters matters?

{a, b}
{b, a}
{a, c}
{c, a}
{b, c}
{c, b}

So, in 6 ways: \(P^2_3=6\).

I'd advice to go through easier questions on the topic to understand better. Check here: ds-question-directory-by-topic-difficulty-128728.html and here: gmat-ps-question-directory-by-topic-difficulty-127957.html

Hope it helps.

Thanks for the tips. I'll work on doing the easier questions. Cheers.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
can u please share something like this on "Probability" as well?????
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619687 [1]
Send PM