Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 05:51 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 05:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2015
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
kingfalcon wrote:
highwyre237 wrote:
These short answer questions... 250 Characters in no way equals 50 words... that would mean your words would average 4 letters each(with a space after it)... Having to shrink my post MBA goals to 250 characters makes me want to use a few 4 letter words...

Also, did everybody use 1.5 line spacing for their 25 random list, or do you think single spacing is alright?

I used 1.5 spacing for everything. Isn't that what the instructions say or am I imagining things? (very possible)

The directions for essay 1:
Please present your response in list form, numbered 1 to 25. Some points may be only a few words, while others may be longer. Your complete list should not exceed 2 pages, with a font size no less than 10-point.

For Essay 2:
Your response to this essay question should be no more than 2 pages in length, with a font size no less than 10-point. Please respond fully and concisely using 1.5 line spacing.

So, it doesn't say specifically which line format to use... But I guess I'm better off assuming they'd rather see 1.5 for everything. Ok, I am officially done filling this thread with silly questions about this app. Thanks for the help!
Director
Director
Send PM
highwyre237 wrote:
kingfalcon wrote:
highwyre237 wrote:
These short answer questions... 250 Characters in no way equals 50 words... that would mean your words would average 4 letters each(with a space after it)... Having to shrink my post MBA goals to 250 characters makes me want to use a few 4 letter words...

Also, did everybody use 1.5 line spacing for their 25 random list, or do you think single spacing is alright?

I used 1.5 spacing for everything. Isn't that what the instructions say or am I imagining things? (very possible)

Please present your response in list form, numbered 1 to 25. Some points may be only a few words, while others may be longer. Your complete list should not exceed 2 pages, with a font size no less than 10-point.

For Essay 2:
Your response to this essay question should be no more than 2 pages in length, with a font size no less than 10-point. Please respond fully and concisely using 1.5 line spacing.

So, it doesn't say specifically which line format to use... But I guess I'm better off assuming they'd rather see 1.5 for everything. Ok, I am officially done filling this thread with silly questions about this app. Thanks for the help!

This is what I have listed as the overarching directions for all questions:

• Three short answer questions and two essays are required for all applicants.
• Responses should use 1.5 line spacing and a font size no smaller than 10-point.
• Responses must be completed before submitting your application.
• Prepare your responses carefully. The Admissions Committee considers your answers important in the selection process.

I wouldn't have that on my master file unless it came from the Fuqua website itself (although I'm not quite sure which part). HTH!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 774 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Guys are you restating the essay question in some form (even in summary) at the beginning of the essay?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
vibhav wrote:
Guys are you restating the essay question in some form (even in summary) at the beginning of the essay?

Don't do this.. you wouldn't want to waste precious essay space to repeat the question. Plus, it's better to be creative than to just open with a summary of the question.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Moodyz wrote:
vibhav wrote:

Don't do this.. you wouldn't want to waste precious essay space to repeat the question. Plus, it's better to be creative than to just open with a summary of the question.

hmm i guess i would agree with you. Additionally, the question types are so unique that even if one shuffles the papers one can easily figure match the sheet to its question. Was just wondering if it was customary to restate the question since most other top schools explicitly ask to do so.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Also can anyone confirm if the below stated are indeed the recommendation questions for Fuqua?

• Comment on the applicant's interpersonal skills (effectiveness in establishing and maintaining relationships; working with supervisors, peers, and subordinates; willingness to work in a team environment).
• Description of applicant's peer group.
• What do you consider the applicant's primary talents or strengths?
• In what areas does the applicant need improvement or growth? If you have had the opportunity to provide the applicant with constructive feedback, please provide specific examples of the feedback and the applicant's response to it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
vibhav wrote:
Also can anyone confirm if the below stated are indeed the recommendation questions for Fuqua?

These are the recommendation questions that I have:
• Please describe the peer group to which you are comparing the applicant.
• Comment on the applicant's interpersonal skills (effectiveness in establishing and maintaining relationships; working with peers, supervisors, and subordinates; willingness to work in a team environment).
• What do you consider the applicant's three primary talents or strengths? Please provide examples, if relevant.
• In what areas does the applicant need improvement or growth? If you have had the opportunity to provide the applicant with constructive feedback, please provide specific examples of the feedback and the applicant's response to it.
Director
Director
Send PM
Submitted for R1. Good luck, everyone! :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Send PM
highwyre237 wrote:
kingfalcon wrote:
highwyre237 wrote:

For Essay 2:

Is it just me or is there no indication from Duke's instructions about line spacing for Essay 1? I'm afraid I didn't use 1.5 spacing for it (the standard 1.0 spacing). Using 1.5 spacing would definitely put me over 2 pages. Anyone else feel that 1.0 spacing is fine for the 25 things?

(and for what it's worth, I have a full line break between each bullet point on the list)
Director
Director
Send PM
OjilEye wrote:

Is it just me or is there no indication from Duke's instructions about line spacing for Essay 1? I'm afraid I didn't use 1.5 spacing for it (the standard 1.0 spacing). Using 1.5 spacing would definitely put me over 2 pages. Anyone else feel that 1.0 spacing is fine for the 25 things?

(and for what it's worth, I have a full line break between each bullet point on the list)

What I quoted is located here:
https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/programs/duke ... y_daytime/
Make sure to click "Application Instructions" and then "Essays" to see the above instructions.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Send PM
Wow :| Okay thanks for that link kingfalcon. Looks I might have some editing to do.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
theK wrote:
vibhav wrote:

These are the recommendation questions that I have:

Thanks a lot mate!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
a quick check with you guys. Do we need to Sign the section about "Early Action" even if we do not check the EA box ? I know EA has passed, so wondering why that box is still in the application.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
kdraj wrote:
a quick check with you guys. Do we need to Sign the section about "Early Action" even if we do not check the EA box ? I know EA has passed, so wondering why that box is still in the application.

One more question: I've passed CFA Level 1 and Level 2. Inside application form, do I select CFA as accredition (Right now I have not chosen it because I've not attained the designation), but do we choose it to indicate to the adcom that it is under progress ?

P.S. I've noted my CFA status in my resume, and one of the essays.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2096 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Is the Fuqua Flex Term still an option at Fuqua? Saw it in an older year book but is missing in the current one.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
kdraj wrote:
kdraj wrote:

One more question: I've passed CFA Level 1 and Level 2. Inside application form, do I select CFA as accredition (Right now I have not chosen it because I've not attained the designation), but do we choose it to indicate to the adcom that it is under progress ?

P.S. I've noted my CFA status in my resume, and one of the essays.

I submitted my application with no problems without signing the EA page. If any part of your application is incomplete, there should be a reminder when you check your application

If you mentioned the expected date of attaining CFA (e.g. before matriculation, etc) in your essay, that should be good imo. A one liner in the optional essay would be good too. I You don't want to check the box since it should be for those who already received accreditation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.4
WE:Business Development (Manufacturing)
Send PM
OjilEye wrote:
Wow :| Okay thanks for that link kingfalcon. Looks I might have some editing to do.

you really dont need to put a line break between each of the points. 1.5 line spacing is a good enough gap. With that, I believe you can very much fit in your essay within 2 pages.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  13   14   15   16   17   18   19  ...  92   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts