Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:30 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.25
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 7
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
mbajack247 wrote:
Did all EA applicants regardless of interview invites or self-initiated interviews receive yesterday's email from Duke ?
If someone has not received that email from Duke, does that mean a Ding or WL ?

It does not mean anything. Be rest assured that so many people (all of them who received that email) cannot be accepted or be on the waitlist for that matter.

There might be a firewall that prevented it or it may have landed in spam or it may have rained in Moscow. You can not predict why someone did not received it. And it would obviously be silly to write to adcom about it. ( I know <hope> no one is doing it)

Assumption: You already received a notification from Duke in the first place that they have received all your material and are reviewing your application for EA.

Only thing that matters is that email on 30th and the subsequent status on your application.

Best of luck.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Technology, Healthcare
Send PM
Kudos
I am quite sure everyone was intended to get it. I am an EA international with a self-initiated interview, and so I was most definitely not shortlisted for an interview. The message in that email is very clear:

1. Giving the option to EA applicants to reassess what EA means and its 'binding' nature monetarily and otherwise.
2. Giving them a previously unknown(?) option to be move to R1 assessments if they do not agree with the binding nature.

There is no reason to indicate that they have decided who are EA admits based on this. In fact it may indicate that they will only make the actual decisions after they filter out those EAs who opt to move to R1 (From Oct 26th to Oct 30th). Its tough for adcom really. They have this week to do all that and attempt to overlay R1 applicant caliber with the EA pool.
I'm not even sure they will/can realistically do that, but they do have the opportunity! Exciting!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
jumsumtak wrote:
mbajack247 wrote:
Did all EA applicants regardless of interview invites or self-initiated interviews receive yesterday's email from Duke ?
If someone has not received that email from Duke, does that mean a Ding or WL ?

It does not mean anything. Be rest assured that so many people (all of them who received that email) cannot be accepted or be on the waitlist for that matter.

There might be a firewall that prevented it or it may have landed in spam or it may have rained in Moscow. You can not predict why someone did not received it. And it would obviously be silly to write to adcom about it. ( I know <hope> no one is doing it)

Assumption: You already received a notification from Duke in the first place that they have received all your material and are reviewing your application for EA.

Only thing that matters is that email on 30th and the subsequent status on your application.

Best of luck.

Thank you... relieved a lot of stress..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.8
WE:Marketing (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hey,

I am an R1 applicant.

I have 3 queries:

1) I have taken GMAT twice. In April 2012, 640 (Q48, V30) and in August 2012, 730 (Q49, V40).
The adcom would be considering the best of two scores, correct? And not average or anything like that?

2) I have email confirmation from Pearson VUE that the scores were made available on Oct 18. I guess this is the date
when the GMAT score was made available electronically to Fuqua. does that count for the application deadline?
Or it has to be electronically and physically received via snail mail?

3) To those of you who have received an invitation for interview (not the self initiated one), how does the school notify you?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
punters11 wrote:
1) I have taken GMAT twice. In April 2012, 640 (Q48, V30) and in August 2012, 730 (Q49, V40).
The adcom would be considering the best of two scores, correct? And not average or anything like that?

2) I have email confirmation from Pearson VUE that the scores were made available on Oct 18. I guess this is the date
when the GMAT score was made available electronically to Fuqua. does that count for the application deadline?

3) To those of you who have received an invitation for interview (not the self initiated one), how does the school notify you?

All of your questions can be answered by taking a look at Duke's admissions site or by scanning through this thread.

Here goes though..
1) They use your highest overall score -- not an average of your scores

2) Yes, that date is when Duke can access your score. As Duke asks to receive your score by the deadline (R1 10/24), you are fine. Even if you were a few days to a week or so late you'd likely be fine. Adcoms generally give some leeway for things like that.

3) Interview invites will be sent via email on Nov 28 for R1, not before then and not after then. On that day only.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mba2014hopeful wrote:
punters11 wrote:

All of your questions can be answered by taking a look at Duke's admissions site or by scanning through this thread.

Here goes though..
1) They use your highest overall score -- not an average of your scores

2) Yes, that date is when Duke can access your score. As Duke asks to receive your score by the deadline (R1 10/24), you are fine. Even if you were a few days to a week or so late you'd likely be fine. Adcoms generally give some leeway for things like that.

3) Interview invites will be sent via email on Nov 28 for R1, not before then and not after then. On that day only.

I appreciate your inputs. thank you
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Awesome Level: 10++
Send PM
dammit I almost had a heart attack. just got this email

Subject:Your Application to The Duke MBA

October 26, 2012

Dear xxxxx:

Thank you for submitting an application to The Duke MBA at Duke University's Fuqua School of Business. This e-mail serves as a confirmation that your application is ready to proceed to the evaluation stage. Should any further information be required, you will be contacted by an Admissions staff member.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Awesome Level: 10++
Send PM
mba2014hopeful wrote:
Wow! That was fast...deadline was just a few days ago! When did you submit? And good luck!

Posted from my mobile device

Thanks I need all the luck I can get with my sub-par gmat! I submitted a few hours before the deadline.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
bond007 wrote:

I just about had the same heart attack, Mr. Craig. I was stopped at a rest area in the sticks when I decided to check my email, too. :lol:

Best of luck. :)
VP
VP
Send PM
krudget wrote:
bond007 wrote:

I just about had the same heart attack, Mr. Craig. I was stopped at a rest area in the sticks when I decided to check my email, too. :lol:

Best of luck. :)

You are applying to 18 programs..? wow! I think the best part would be to negotiate after you get multiple admits.. :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hey, It would be great if you could share some info on the school.

Also, can you help me connect with some Indian students in your class of 2014.

threestripes wrote:
OjilEye wrote:
Apologies if this was discussed before, but what are most people's word counts for the Why Duke essay?

2 pages and 1.5 spacing could equate to a pretty large spread of word counts (with varying margin sizes and font sizes)

I'm still fine-tuning mine but my first page has 620 words.

I think mine had around 1,200 words. This was after over 10 revisions, in which I cut off all the excess fat. Clearly, I had A LOT to say. :lol:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
jumsumtak wrote:
You are applying to 18 programs..? wow! I think the best part would be to negotiate after you get multiple admits.. :)

Funny, so many folks ask that :) Just nine right now. Taking a breather. My fiancée is applying to 30 residencies, which is no big deal because it's through ERAS, an application service. And with residency apps you can "Couples Match" together, or if you're both going to b-school, you can mention it on the application and they'll evaluate you together. Unfortunately, we can't do that cross-program, and that leaves me filling out a stack of applications sans application service. :lol: But we're content knowing it's just two years and if one of us gets a great opportunity, not to turn it down. But yes, negotiating awards and location would hopefully end up fun :)

For example, she is in love with UNC's anesthesiology department and I love both K-F and Fuqua. She has an interview with a great program at UPMC and I have one at equally great one at Tepper. So we're hoping it all works out. Hopefully that makes more sense than me being a masochist. Best of luck in your search.
VP
VP
Send PM
krudget wrote:
jumsumtak wrote:

Funny, so many folks ask that :) Just nine right now. Taking a breather. My fiancée is applying to 30 residencies, which is no big deal because it's through ERAS, an application service. And with residency apps you can "Couples Match" together, or if you're both going to b-school, you can mention it on the application and they'll evaluate you together. Unfortunately, we can't do that cross-program, and that leaves me filling out a stack of applications sans application service. :lol: But we're content knowing it's just two years and if one of us gets a great opportunity, not to turn it down. But yes, negotiating awards and location would hopefully end up fun :)

For example, she is in love with UNC's anesthesiology department and I love both K-F and Fuqua. She has an interview with a great program at UPMC and I have one at equally great one at Tepper. So we're hoping it all works out. Hopefully that makes more sense than me being a masochist. Best of luck in your search.

It can get a lot more difficult when you have a partner. And it gets even more complex if he/she is also looking out for some program.
Wish you the best for your app season and I'm sure everything will work out in the end :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
Hey guys,

(Brace yourselves.......Sandy is in town)

Hope everyone's safe and sound.
Since the Adcom's office will be closed today or at least work with minimal resources, I thought it would be a good idea to get some of the questions out my system (I just need a reason).

1) In all frankness, when an univ announces a certain 80% percentile range (eg: 640-720, etc), is the lower limit meant to be taken as a reference point for minorities' applications?

2) Does Fuqua announce all it's admits/dings on the same day? Suppose if I don't receive any call before the last day of notification, should I happily assume that I am either dinged or waitlisted? Is there a chance that I will get to know about the Admit via email-notification?

3) I have a sub-par GMAT score -650 (like someone above) but I interviewed during the open-interview period. Am I case for automatic elimination or does Fuqua really consider evaluating my app holistically? (Yes, I sound paranoid. I am not sure if my question is making sense here).
VP
VP
Send PM
chethanjs wrote:
Hey guys,

(Brace yourselves.......Sandy is in town)

Hope everyone's safe and sound.
Since the Adcom's office will be closed today or at least work with minimal resources, I thought it would be a good idea to get some of the questions out my system (I just need a reason).

1) In all frankness, when an univ announces a certain 80% percentile range (eg: 640-720, etc), is the lower limit meant to be taken as a reference point for minorities' applications?

2) Does Fuqua announce all it's admits/dings on the same day? Suppose if I don't receive any call before the last day of notification, should I happily assume that I am either dinged or waitlisted? Is there a chance that I will get to know about the Admit via email-notification?

3) I have a sub-par GMAT score -650 (like someone above) but I interviewed during the open-interview period. Am I case for automatic elimination or does Fuqua really consider evaluating my app holistically? (Yes, I sound paranoid. I am not sure if my question is making sense here).

Your 650 is below average. And I'm sure you have heard that before. What does that mean for you? It means you will need to have a solid work exp., solid essays or/and come from an under-represented group. Your GPA would also matter more. All this, to compensate for your low GMAT score. You will have a much better chance if you show a 30-40 point increase. Saying that, people do get accepted with that score as well.

You will definitely receive an email on the interview notification date. Your application status will change accordingly. Whether you are invited to the interview or not, your final decision will again be mailed on the decision notification date. This decision could be: accepted, waitlisted or a ding. (If you have NOT been invited to interview earlier you cannot be accepted, though you could still land up on the waitlist)

Whatever your GMAT is, your application will be evaluated holistically. The complete application is read by 2 adcom members separately. No one is "automatically disqualified" for a low GMAT score.
It is good that you have already interviewed already. But again, that GMAT might be a deterrent, and you would need to have strong essays and a well-rounded application to be competitive.

Hope that helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
(Boom. There goes....)

Thanks for answering my qs. Will keep you folks posted.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
You guys think that decisions will be delayed due to the storm?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  16   17   18   19   20   21   22  ...  92   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts