Last visit was: 01 May 2024, 15:54 It is currently 01 May 2024, 15:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63739 [0]
Given Kudos: 1775
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 916
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q42 V44
GMAT 3: 680 Q44 V39
GMAT 4: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: GMAT Debrief: 750 (50,41) Build your own strategy [#permalink]
120 points improvement! Respect! Well done!

What was the secret of this success? People normally say 80 points are possible, but you managed to do more?
What was your hit rate on the different sections, when you did OG12/OG13? (I currently achieve overall 70-75% in Quant and around 76% for SC and am looking for kind of a benchmark)

Thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
@shreerajp99

With regards to the quant: I had many questions from your numbers section, 3 probability questions and 3 co-ordinate geometry questions (one had modulus graphs and circle graphs together). The other questions were standard fare- numbers, ratios, statistics and all that jazz. The Quant in the real thing is tougher than the Prep- from what I have seen. But I believe a normal prep is more than sufficient to score 50+

No, I did not see many percentage CR questions- did see one involving ratios and one bold CR.

Platinum Gmat is very good- I used the test when I first started out- before the Kaplan tests- so it was a long time ago and I scored a 700 (not too sure about the splits- this was before I knew splits were just as important as the score)
The quant questions however are almost always 700+ on the platinum gmat test.

@bgpower:
Simple- though, I am a non-native, I speak the English fairly well. It was just sussing out what the test was about and doing some practice tests.. It was also getting a feel for the language again because I had been working in a country where the level of English spoken is not that high and there is a lot of introduced language in spoken English...

W.r.t hit rates, when I started out with the OG, it was around 70% for verbal and tailed off considerably towards the end of the SC and CR. I pushed it up to 90-95% for the SC and 85% on the CR. I might have missed a few on the test because I drank way too much water for my own good and a cold room+ a lot of water is not a good combination.

For Quant I scored close to a 100% on the OG- I believe the quant section on the OG is fairly weak. Make sure you learn your absolute values correctly.. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
Thanks and best of luck for ur applications!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1331 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Great score! congrats!!! How were the passages for RC are they similar in length compared with the GMAT prep.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
@nelz007

Yes, the RC passages are of similar length to the ones in the GMAT Prep software.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 916
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q42 V44
GMAT 3: 680 Q44 V39
GMAT 4: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
seriousmonkey wrote:
@bgpower:
Simple- though, I am a non-native, I speak the English fairly well. It was just sussing out what the test was about and doing some practice tests.. It was also getting a feel for the language again because I had been working in a country where the level of English spoken is not that high and there is a lot of introduced language in spoken English...

W.r.t hit rates, when I started out with the OG, it was around 70% for verbal and tailed off considerably towards the end of the SC and CR. I pushed it up to 90-95% for the SC and 85% on the CR. I might have missed a few on the test because I drank way too much water for my own good and a cold room+ a lot of water is not a good combination.

For Quant I scored close to a 100% on the OG- I believe the quant section on the OG is fairly weak. Make sure you learn your absolute values correctly.. :)

Thanks, very much for the response buddy! Just a few more questions:

1. Were those hit-rates of yours achieved directly from your first attempt of the OG12/OG13/QG2/VG2 questions? Or do you include the re-doing of the error log? If first - your scores are more the impressive and your overall GMAT score is absolutely deserved!

2. How much time did you spent re-doing your error log wrong/guessed questions, doing CAT test and really polishing your knowledge prior to the test?

3. And a rather practical question - How exactly did you use your scratch pad? I don't know if you had the MGMAT version prior to the exam, but I bought it, and currently think of the best way of utilizing the space?

Thanks again!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hey....could you please point me to Brunel's quant material that you are talking about? I'm taking the test in a few days. Thanks a ton!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
worldofecofin wrote:
Hey....could you please point me to Brunel's quant material that you are talking about? I'm taking the test in a few days. Thanks a ton!

just look up any post from Bunuel and you will find it. It has the Gmat club quant book as well as his questions from each topic.

james-and-henry-are-at-the-northwest-corner-of-their-busines-142357.html#p1143007
Intern
Intern
Send PM
And how is this different from the GMAT Club tests? I believe he has contributed there as well, isn't it?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
worldofecofin wrote:
And how is this different from the GMAT Club tests? I believe he has contributed there as well, isn't it?

Yeah I'm pretty sure he must have contributed to those tests.Since, the Gmat club is celebrating 1 million posts you can get the access for 10 days (have to use code for every single day) or postpone them for future use...

link >>> gmat-club-s-10-years-1-000-000-posts-milestone-learnmore-141955.html
Intern
Intern
Send PM
nelz007 wrote:
worldofecofin wrote:

Yeah I'm pretty sure he must have contributed to those tests.Since, the Gmat club is celebrating 1 million posts you can get the access for 10 days (have to use code for every single day) or postpone them for future use...

link >>> gmat-club-s-10-years-1-000-000-posts-milestone-learnmore-141955.html

Yea I learnt about that through GC emails. It takes you to FB! Do you have to just like GC on FB? or some specific post / video or something? Also, what's with the limited access thing? Is it like only a few people can use those? If I postpone the access, it'll be only valid for one day I'm assuming. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
bgpower wrote:
seriousmonkey wrote:
@bgpower:

Thanks, very much for the response buddy! Just a few more questions:

1. Were those hit-rates of yours achieved directly from your first attempt of the OG12/OG13/QG2/VG2 questions? Or do you include the re-doing of the error log? If first - your scores are more the impressive and your overall GMAT score is absolutely deserved!

2. How much time did you spent re-doing your error log wrong/guessed questions, doing CAT test and really polishing your knowledge prior to the test?

3. And a rather practical question - How exactly did you use your scratch pad? I don't know if you had the MGMAT version prior to the exam, but I bought it, and currently think of the best way of utilizing the space?

Thanks again!

No problem at all!

1) For the SC, first time out, I got around an 85% hit rate until I got to the 70th question. Then the values began to drop precipitously. I smartened up to the queries later and was able to understand why I got those incorrect.

2) Rather than keep an error log as many have done before me, I kept track of the general theme; which questions I tended to struggle with and work on them. Never had a look at the questions as a whole. The best thing one can do is to understand the concept and I felt that the error log in its traditional form made me dishonest as I knew the answers to the questions. So I kept to the general theme.

I also confess that I needed a break from all the questions at times. I took some time off, two weeks before the exam.. did no gmat stuff for 4 days...

3) I did my quant problems all over the place... I rarely used the scratch pad for verbal, unless I wanted to note the structure of a CR. But I did not use it much after the quant.

Again it depends on what you are comfortable with... You would know what and how best things work for you. It is just a matter of discovering this "plan" - then you can do well enough...
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37340 posts