GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2019, 17:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

James and Henry are at the northwest corner of their busines

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Dec 2009
Posts: 456
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
James and Henry are at the northwest corner of their busines  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2012, 04:22
3
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

51% (03:25) correct 49% (03:27) wrong based on 104 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

James and Henry are at the northwest corner of their business school’s football field, which is a rectangle 300 ft long and 160 ft wide. James walks in a straight line directly to the southeast corner of the field. If Henry walks 180 ft down the west side of the field and then walks in a straight line directly to the southeast corner of the field, how many feet farther, to the nearest 10 ft, will Henry walk than James?

A. 20
B. 40
C. 80
D. 120
E. 140

_________________
KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 58396
Re: James and Henry are at the northwest corner of their busines  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2012, 04:52
2
gmatbull wrote:
James and Henry are at the northwest corner of their business school’s football field, which is a rectangle 300 ft long and 160 ft wide. James walks in a straight line directly to the southeast corner of the field. If Henry walks 180 ft down the west side of the field and then walks in a straight line directly to the southeast corner of the field, how many feet farther, to the nearest 10 ft, will Henry walk than James?

A. 20
B. 40
C. 80
D. 120
E. 140


Look at the diagram below:
Attachment:
Football field.png
Football field.png [ 5.69 KiB | Viewed 3119 times ]
The distance covered by James (AD) is shown in blue and it equals to \(\sqrt{300^2+160^2}=\sqrt{10^2(30^2+16^2)}=10*\sqrt{1156}=340\);

The distance covered by Henry (AB+BD) is shown in red and it equals to \(180+\sqrt{120^2+160^2}=180+\sqrt{10^2(12^2+16)^2}=180+10\sqrt{400}=380\);

The difference is 380-340=40.

Answer: B.
_________________
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Dec 2009
Posts: 456
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Re: James and Henry are at the northwest corner of their busines  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2012, 00:52
1
Thanks Bunuel for your lucid explanations as usual.
I misinterpreted the text below:
"If Henry walks 180 ft down the west side of the field " to mean
"Henry walks 180 ft westwards"; Sure, that was a misleading interpretation.

Actually, Henry walked DOWNWARD, but on the western wing of the field.
_________________
KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Jun 2012
Posts: 1
Re: James and Henry are at the northwest corner of their busines  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2012, 13:04
1
How do we decide the rectangle layout to be? I took 300 to be the length from northeast to east whereas in the explanation it takes 160 for the same length.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Dec 2009
Posts: 456
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Re: James and Henry are at the northwest corner of their busines  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2012, 00:22
1
rashmilagisetty wrote:
How do we decide the rectangle layout to be? I took 300 to be the length from
northeast to east whereas in the explanation it takes 160 for the same length.


Which ever orientation u prefer doesn't change the fact that it remains a rectangle as shown in the attached.
However, note that If Henry walks 180 ft down the west side of the field, the
vertical side must be the side with 300 ft.
Attachments

james n Henry.jpg
james n Henry.jpg [ 8.93 KiB | Viewed 2921 times ]


_________________
KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 58396
Re: James and Henry are at the northwest corner of their busines  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2013, 06:37
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2013
Posts: 15
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Krannert '17
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: James and Henry are at the northwest corner of their busines  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2013, 11:14
So what does this sentence mean please?

James and Henry are at the northwest corner of their business school’s football field, which is a rectangle 300 ft long and 160 ft wide. James walks in a straight line directly to the southeast corner of the field. If Henry walks 180 ft down the west side of the field and then walks in a straight line directly to the southeast corner of the field, how many feet farther, to the nearest 10 ft, will Henry walk than James?

A. 20
B. 40
C. 80
D. 120
E. 140

This is the only sentence that put me off that I didnt understand.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 58396
Re: James and Henry are at the northwest corner of their busines  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2013, 08:00
1
Infinitive wrote:
So what does this sentence mean please?

James and Henry are at the northwest corner of their business school’s football field, which is a rectangle 300 ft long and 160 ft wide. James walks in a straight line directly to the southeast corner of the field. If Henry walks 180 ft down the west side of the field and then walks in a straight line directly to the southeast corner of the field, how many feet farther, to the nearest 10 ft, will Henry walk than James?

A. 20
B. 40
C. 80
D. 120
E. 140

This is the only sentence that put me off that I didnt understand.


I guess the question intends us to do some approximations to get the correct answer but as you can see we can get the exact answer quite easily, thus approximation is not necessary.
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Dec 2013
Posts: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Desautels '16
Re: James and Henry are at the northwest corner of their busines  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2013, 21:40
Bunuel wrote:
gmatbull wrote:
James and Henry are at the northwest corner of their business school’s football field, which is a rectangle 300 ft long and 160 ft wide. James walks in a straight line directly to the southeast corner of the field. If Henry walks 180 ft down the west side of the field and then walks in a straight line directly to the southeast corner of the field, how many feet farther, to the nearest 10 ft, will Henry walk than James?

A. 20
B. 40
C. 80
D. 120
E. 140


Look at the diagram below:
Attachment:
Football field.png
The distance covered by James (AD) is shown in blue and it equals to \(\sqrt{300^2+160^2}=\sqrt{10^2(30^2+16^2)}=10*\sqrt{1156}=340\);

The distance covered by Henry (AB+BD) is shown in red and it equals to \(180+\sqrt{120^2+160^2}=180+\sqrt{10^2(12^2+16)^2}=180+10\sqrt{400}=380\);

The difference is 380-340=40.

Answer: B.


Is there an alternative (and quicker) way to get the solution without doing the calculations, e.g. through ballparking and eliminating answer options?
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
V
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9701
Location: Pune, India
Re: James and Henry are at the northwest corner of their busines  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2013, 21:59
1
1
np1986 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
gmatbull wrote:
James and Henry are at the northwest corner of their business school’s football field, which is a rectangle 300 ft long and 160 ft wide. James walks in a straight line directly to the southeast corner of the field. If Henry walks 180 ft down the west side of the field and then walks in a straight line directly to the southeast corner of the field, how many feet farther, to the nearest 10 ft, will Henry walk than James?

A. 20
B. 40
C. 80
D. 120
E. 140


Look at the diagram below:
Attachment:
Football field.png
The distance covered by James (AD) is shown in blue and it equals to \(\sqrt{300^2+160^2}=\sqrt{10^2(30^2+16^2)}=10*\sqrt{1156}=340\);

The distance covered by Henry (AB+BD) is shown in red and it equals to \(180+\sqrt{120^2+160^2}=180+\sqrt{10^2(12^2+16)^2}=180+10\sqrt{400}=380\);

The difference is 380-340=40.

Answer: B.


Is there an alternative (and quicker) way to get the solution without doing the calculations, e.g. through ballparking and eliminating answer options?


Actually, the method shown by Bunuel is quite straight forward and you don't need to do any calculations if you just remember some of your pythagorean triplets (and that's why we suggest you to remember them!)

BC = 120, CD = 160
BC:CD = 3:4
Does it remind you of 3-4-5 triplet?
120 is 3*40 and 160 is 4*40 so BD will be 5*40 = 200
So Henry traveled 180 + 200 = 380

AB = 160, BD = 300
So AB:BD = 8:15
Remember 8-15-17? (the third triplet after 3-4-5 and 5-12-13)
Hence AD should be 17*20 = 340
James traveled 340

Difference = 40

I have seen the following triplets coming in handy:
( 3, 4, 5 ) ( 5, 12, 13) ( 8, 15, 17) ( 7, 24, 25)
(20, 21, 29) and ( 9, 40, 41)
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
V
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9701
Location: Pune, India
Re: James and Henry are at the northwest corner of their busines  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2013, 23:54
rashmilagisetty wrote:
How do we decide the rectangle layout to be? I took 300 to be the length from northeast to east whereas in the explanation it takes 160 for the same length.


That is a valid concern. Note that there are two definitions of length:
1. Length is the longest side of the rectangle.
2. Width is from side to side and length is whatever isn't width (i.e. the side from up to down in a rectangle) (this definition is less embraced than the first one)

If the side from up to down is the longest side, then there is no conflict.
Keeping this in mind, when drawing the figure, given that length is the longer of the two, I would make the diagram as shown by Bunuel and there will be no conflict.
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Dec 2013
Posts: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Desautels '16
Re: James and Henry are at the northwest corner of their busines  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2013, 20:04
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
np1986 wrote:
Is there an alternative (and quicker) way to get the solution without doing the calculations, e.g. through ballparking and eliminating answer options?


Actually, the method shown by Bunuel is quite straight forward and you don't need to do any calculations if you just remember some of your pythagorean triplets (and that's why we suggest you to remember them!)

BC = 120, CD = 160
BC:CD = 3:4
Does it remind you of 3-4-5 triplet?
120 is 3*40 and 160 is 4*40 so BD will be 5*40 = 200
So Henry traveled 180 + 200 = 380

AB = 160, BD = 300
So AB:BD = 8:15
Remember 8-15-17? (the third triplet after 3-4-5 and 5-12-13)
Hence AD should be 17*20 = 340
James traveled 340

Difference = 40

I have seen the following triplets coming in handy:
( 3, 4, 5 ) ( 5, 12, 13) ( 8, 15, 17) ( 7, 24, 25)
(20, 21, 29) and ( 9, 40, 41)


Thanks! This is quite helpful and should make the calculations much easier.
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 13382
Re: James and Henry are at the northwest corner of their busines  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2018, 05:26
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
Re: James and Henry are at the northwest corner of their busines   [#permalink] 22 Oct 2018, 05:26
Display posts from previous: Sort by

James and Henry are at the northwest corner of their busines

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne