Last visit was: 05 Jun 2024, 08:36 It is currently 05 Jun 2024, 08:36
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.43
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Board of Directors
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
aerien wrote:
Yeah, there are multiple people on GC who interviewed the last week interviews were offered in R1 and were accepted, so the day of your interview may not be so much of a worry. Just be able to talk about your experiences and why Yale is the school for you.... and don't forget to breathe. Good luck!!

Ditto what aerien says. I interviewed the very last day of interview slots in R1. There were a good 12 of us there and I know of at least 3 who got in. You're fine.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Congrats everyone, I got an invite too~! This is my first one and the Puyallup's question came to my mind too. When do admissions officers start giving out offers? I may be reading too much into it but of all the schools that I applied to, only Booth explicitly stated that all decisions will be released at once on a particular date/time. Most other schools (incl. Yale) said decisions will be released by a certain date, which technically gives them plenty leeway to extend offers maybe even with scholarships to people early (by weeks, maybe even a month). Do schools actually do that, and to what extent?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
WE:Law (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
MBA2ER wrote:
Congrats everyone, I got an invite too~! This is my first one and the Puyallup's question came to my mind too. When do admissions officers start giving out offers? I may be reading too much into it but of all the schools that I applied to, only Booth explicitly stated that all decisions will be released at once on a particular date/time. Most other schools (incl. Yale) said decisions will be released by a certain date, which technically gives them plenty leeway to extend offers maybe even with scholarships to people early (by weeks, maybe even a month). Do schools actually do that, and to what extent?

The difference in approach you point out between so-called "rolling admission" schools (Yale, Stern etc.) and traditional "decision-date" schools is interesting, but I would not read too much into it. I can not force myself to believe they would disadvantage anyone within a round based on when he or she interviews. My only guess is that they'll extend admission offers earlier to people who really stand out of the pack and who they definitely want on board.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
GPT55 wrote:
MBA2ER wrote:

The difference in approach you point out between so-called "rolling admission" schools (Yale, Stern etc.) and traditional "decision-date" schools is interesting, but I would not read too much into it. I can not force myself to believe they would disadvantage anyone within a round based on when he or she interviews. My only guess is that they'll extend admission offers earlier to people who really stand out of the pack and who they definitely want on board.

As far as I know everyone received R1 admissions offers on the same day this year, which was the date posted on the website (12/13) and also listed as the date we would hear 'by'. Someone checked with the admissions office about this - 'by' meant 'on', at least for R1. I interviewed the same week as machichi, although a few days earlier, and I know at least a few of the people who were there were offered admission too. You might want to read through our many pages of anxious postings earlier in this thread as the R1 applicants had this same discussion.

The only people who received calls earlier than 12/13 were international applicants, and it was already the 13th of December in their respective time zones when they got the calls.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
Send PM
Anybody attending Winter Welcome, and if so are you being hosted for Sunday night?

Starting to look at apartment locations. Any current SOMers that have opinions about East Rock vs Downtown? What are some popular apartment complexes/areas to live?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
SOMBound wrote:
Anybody attending Winter Welcome, and if so are you being hosted for Sunday night?

Starting to look at apartment locations. Any current SOMers that have opinions about East Rock vs Downtown? What are some popular apartment complexes/areas to live?

I'm attending Winter Welcome, but not being hosted (I'm from the area).

New Haven doesn't have a lot of large apartment complexes, but I know some students live in 360 State and a couple of buildings on Church Street. There are a few more in the downtown area (Temple, Chapel, etc.) East Rock is mostly multi-family homes without large apartment complexes. East Rock is more residential; downtown is closer to bars/restaurants, so I suppose some of it depends on your preference.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 81
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.62
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
SOMBound wrote:

Hey there, and congrats!

As others have said, it depends what you're looking for, but you may also be surprised when you see it with your own eyes. I came from Brooklyn, so all prices were immediately so much more reasonable than I was used to, but they are not cheap by the standards of most of the rest of the country. I'd say 80% falls between $700 and $950 per person per month. Some Downtown apartment complexes, (like 360 State and the Eli) are on the upper bound, and can cost significantly more than that, so just keep that in mind.

I LOVE my house in East Rock. I'll have a 3 minute walk to class when the new building opens, (it's 7 mins now), and I'm on the Southern end of East Rock, so I can quite easily walk to GPSCY, Shake Shack, 360 State, and other parts of the Yale Campus. Those that live a bit higher in East Rock typically have bikes so they can get to class no problem. That said - although East Rock seems to be a bit sleepier since it's filled with converted old colonial mansions, we have held a significant amount of parties, game nights, barbecues, and so on in East Rock, including 4 or 5 progressive parties. It's also probably the "safest" neighborhood in New Haven, though I put that in quotes because most students live in pretty safe neighborhoods - I've yet to feel unsafe walking around the Yale Campus surrounding neighborhoods.

Interesting fact: 360 State was designed by an SOM and YArch alum, and we studied it for our very first case during orientation. It's a really cool building, akin to some of the more corporate condo buildings in the Financial District of Manhattan.

Welcome Weekend is typically a better time to check out potential apartments - I both met my roommates and put down my deposit that weekend. A lot of the August 1st rentals won't even come onto the market until May/June anyway, so if you're going to be checking places out, I'd suggest looking more at neighborhoods, and housing attributes that you're looking for.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
Send PM
Thanks for the info all. OhDenny are there many coffee shops/restaurants in the East Rock area near campus or is it primarily residential?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
SOMBound wrote:
Thanks for the info all. OhDenny are there many coffee shops/restaurants in the East Rock area near campus or is it primarily residential?

Within 5 blocks I have three really nice deli/cafes, two Asian groceries, a Dunkin' Donuts, a steak house, two pizza place (one of them famous), two really nice Italian restaurants, a Chinese restaurant, a pho place, a cupcake place, a liquor store, an Irish pub, and the best damn grilled cheese place I've ever been to.

But Downtown has much more, and much closer, partly because the blocks are shorter.
Board of Directors
Send PM
Expert Reply
OhDenny wrote:
SOMBound wrote:

Within 5 blocks I have three really nice deli/cafes, two Asian groceries, a Dunkin' Donuts, a steak house, two pizza place (one of them famous), two really nice Italian restaurants, a Chinese restaurant, a pho place, a cupcake place, a liquor store, an Irish pub, and the best damn grilled cheese place I've ever been to.

But Downtown has much more, and much closer, partly because the blocks are shorter.

There's a grilled cheese place?! I think I'm sold.... :lol:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Not to sound panicky, but have most R2 interview invites already gone out. When can we expect to hear one way or another if we are going to get an interview invite?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
skm wrote:
GPT55 wrote:
MBA2ER wrote:

As far as I know everyone received R1 admissions offers on the same day this year, which was the date posted on the website (12/13) and also listed as the date we would hear 'by'. Someone checked with the admissions office about this - 'by' meant 'on', at least for R1. I interviewed the same week as machichi, although a few days earlier, and I know at least a few of the people who were there were offered admission too. You might want to read through our many pages of anxious postings earlier in this thread as the R1 applicants had this same discussion.

The only people who received calls earlier than 12/13 were international applicants, and it was already the 13th of December in their respective time zones when they got the calls.

Thanks skm/GPT55, this helps clear things up a lot.

PanchoPippin wrote:
Not to sound panicky, but have most R2 interview invites already gone out. When can we expect to hear one way or another if we are going to get an interview invite?

PanchoPippin, I think someone mentioned in this thread that invites are sent out randomly over a period of time. Considering the application cycle just closed less than two weeks ago, I really can't imagine that they have already made decisions on most of the applications! Having said that, the latest available time slot I saw in the system was 22nd Feb, which I thought was remarkably early given that most schools interview into March. Maybe they'll open up more slots as they send out more invites? Not really sure, the R1 guys or current students can probably advise better. Anyway, hang in there and good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
aerien wrote:
There's a grilled cheese place?! I think I'm sold.... :lol:

It's fantastic, as advertised, too. I go there everytime I'm in New Haven.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
GPA: 3.78
Send PM
OhDenny wrote:
SOMBound wrote:

Hey there, and congrats!

As others have said, it depends what you're looking for, but you may also be surprised when you see it with your own eyes. I came from Brooklyn, so all prices were immediately so much more reasonable than I was used to, but they are not cheap by the standards of most of the rest of the country. I'd say 80% falls between $700 and $950 per person per month. Some Downtown apartment complexes, (like 360 State and the Eli) are on the upper bound, and can cost significantly more than that, so just keep that in mind.

I LOVE my house in East Rock. I'll have a 3 minute walk to class when the new building opens, (it's 7 mins now), and I'm on the Southern end of East Rock, so I can quite easily walk to GPSCY, Shake Shack, 360 State, and other parts of the Yale Campus. Those that live a bit higher in East Rock typically have bikes so they can get to class no problem. That said - although East Rock seems to be a bit sleepier since it's filled with converted old colonial mansions, we have held a significant amount of parties, game nights, barbecues, and so on in East Rock, including 4 or 5 progressive parties. It's also probably the "safest" neighborhood in New Haven, though I put that in quotes because most students live in pretty safe neighborhoods - I've yet to feel unsafe walking around the Yale Campus surrounding neighborhoods.

Interesting fact: 360 State was designed by an SOM and YArch alum, and we studied it for our very first case during orientation. It's a really cool building, akin to some of the more corporate condo buildings in the Financial District of Manhattan.

Welcome Weekend is typically a better time to check out potential apartments - I both met my roommates and put down my deposit that weekend. A lot of the August 1st rentals won't even come onto the market until May/June anyway, so if you're going to be checking places out, I'd suggest looking more at neighborhoods, and housing attributes that you're looking for.

Do a lot of admits attend both the Winter Welcome and the regular Welcome Weekend? Since I'm not sure I'll be able to venture up again I was going to stay Monday (unhosted, but Sunday hosted) and then do a preliminary gut-check of downtown apt buildings on Tues even though it won't quite be time to sign a lease! :) Other than 360/Eli, are there any other building where a bunch of SOMer live? Do apartments buildings tend to fill up super quick?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mba2527 wrote:
Do a lot of admits attend both the Winter Welcome and the regular Welcome Weekend? Since I'm not sure I'll be able to venture up again I was going to stay Monday (unhosted, but Sunday hosted) and then do a preliminary gut-check of downtown apt buildings on Tues even though it won't quite be time to sign a lease! :) Other than 360/Eli, are there any other building where a bunch of SOMer live? Do apartments buildings tend to fill up super quick?

I came to both last year, though I'm also a giant nerd, so take that with a grain of salt. I found that last year, Winter Welcome was more academic-focused, and Welcome Weekend was more total-package focused, though I'm in charge of planning both this year, so I'm trying to make the experiences more similar. One of the big draws for me was that I lived close enough to come to both (New York), and that a ton of the people I met at both weekends were down with meeting up throughout the rest of the year and in different cities, so by the time actual move-in and orientation rolled around, I already knew several dozen classmates. Welcome Weekend has an advantage to this as well, since there are far more people in attendance, (150-175 ish vs. 70).

Don't get stressed out about signing leases in February. Even April was pretty early to be hunting, and a lot of folks found their places over the summer. There are a couple of other buildings where multiple SOMers live, but I can't think of them off of the top of my head. Perhaps one of my other current student compadres can help out with that? I'd say the bulk of our class, however, lives in old colonials that have been converted to multi-units.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Concentration: Nonprofit, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.71
WE:Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
Just had my interview over Skype with a 2nd year student. It went really well! He was very easy to speak to, and the 30 minutes zoomed by as the interview turned into an informative, friendly conversation about what sets Yale apart. He asked very standard questions:

- Walk through your resume
- Talk about a leadership role you were particularly proud of
- Talk about a time you received push-back when working on a project
- Talk about a time there was a set-back during a project you were working on and things fell behind. (He joked about how b-school applicants tend to be type As who don't like this question, but as a current Peace Corps volunteer, I had plenty of examples to draw from.)
- Why business school?
- Why Yale?
- How do you want to get involved on campus?

Props to Yale for not throwing out obnoxious curve ball questions!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Accounting
Send PM
wondering if any interview invites come out today as first day back from holiday of this week...
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  27   28   29   30   31  ...  65   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6955 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts