Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 01:38 It is currently 05 May 2024, 01:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 142
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: HBS '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V51
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.9
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Is this thread also for 2+2 applicants (class of 2018)?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
HappyBuddha wrote:
Is this thread also for 2+2 applicants (class of 2018)?

Nope. This is mainly for class of 2015 applicants and some 2+2 2017 applicants (though there is a separate 2+2 thread that I see you've already found).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Did any other west coast round 2 interviewees get the invitation in SF to learn about HBS and entrepreneurship at an HBS entrepreneurship panel downtown? Did all bay area round 2 interviewees receive this invite?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thought this was interesting:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-01-3 ... brawn.html

Imagine him being your seatmate! Wow.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Catatonic wrote:
Did any other west coast round 2 interviewees get the invitation in SF to learn about HBS and entrepreneurship at an HBS entrepreneurship panel downtown? Did all bay area round 2 interviewees receive this invite?

I have got the invitation, I am international. I think they are teasing us :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Simeon2013 wrote:
Catatonic wrote:

I am East Coast. Did not get this email.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
zsurf wrote:
himanshubt wrote:
equestrian wrote:
Anyone else get the "What's Next" email today and get a bit jumpy? 2 weeks is forever!

Any R1 WL candidates get the What next email?

Nope

Yes, I was waitlisted round 1 and interviewed round 2. I got the email.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Any other eager 2014 applicants out there? Love to talk strategy, test prep, etc... thx!
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
topnotch85 wrote:
Any other eager 2014 applicants out there? Love to talk strategy, test prep, etc... thx!

If you want to start a 2014 thread you're more than welcome to, but this thread is for the current cycle. Generally the threads for next year start in the summer since we're still not done with R2 or R3 yet here!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Simeon2013 wrote:
Catatonic wrote:

Did not get the email :(
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
silmoonver wrote:
Simeon2013 wrote:
Catatonic wrote:

Did not get the email :(

Did you indicate in your application that you are interested in entrepreneurship!? As far as I remember there was a field to click, primary interest or smth... I really don't think it indicates anything. The invitation was impersonal.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
snowedinboston wrote:
Congrats to all those invited for R2! I'll go out on a limb and on behalf of the R1 Admits, I am excited for you. I really enjoyed the interviewing process (met many people interview day that I am now friends with/reunited with at ASW).

Just some thoughts on interviewing--

1) Be online tomorrow right when interview scheduling opens, and be prepared. Know your schedule and which days of the week are ideal. I found the early AM slots did not go as quick, so it might be less stressful to aim for those rather than refresh and have a panic when you can't get your preferred time.

2) Think hard about trying to come to campus. I am local to Boston so on-campus was the default for me, but if it is within your means to come to campus to interview, it is worth it. I spent 2 days (day before interview, day of) wandering around, doing a class visit (HIGHLY recommended, see below), talking with other interviewees (many of whom I am now friends with), etc. HBS offers a lot of programming on campus around the interviews and I think that was very valuable. Set my mind at ease too. That said, I've met people who interviewed out of the country or ex-Boston and found that to be a positive, professional, and consistent experience to on-campus.

3) Do a class visit if you interview on campus. Seeing the case method live in action was the highlight of my interview experience. It gave me a much clearer sense of how I might fit in to the HBS community. Also found it somewhat relaxing - guests aren't in the hot seat. :) If you can, schedule a class visit before your interview.

4) Throw all of your thoughts away about your GMAT, stats, etc. If you got an invite to interview, they aren't relevant anymore. Focus on your story, why HBS, and get in the mindset to say "I can see myself here."

5) Don't try to prepare. Really, Dee wrote to us that you can't prep for the interview. You really can't. I got asked questions about two obscure interests on the most blighted part of my app (the last line of my resume). Other people I know got grilled on their job. Some people got management consultant type questions. It's a complete roulette, specific to you.

6) Make as many meaningful acquaintances as you can at interviews, wherever they are. I am still talking to the people who sat next to me waiting to be interviewed - plus the reunion was that much sweeter at ASW seeing friends make it through the needle's eye. Get in the mindset that these are your future classmates - not your interview competition.

7) Try not to worry about the 30 minute time limit. I'm sure you all know that interviews are a blisteringly short 30 minutes. I was fortunate in that mine wrapped up organically in that time. But it's the interviewer's job to keep it to 30 minutes, not yours. Offer answers that are honest, direct, but evident of your personality, and the interviewers will dial things up or down as they would like.

8) Think of your second "silent" interviewer as a potential third party to the conversation. Perhaps my experience was unique, but I got some dialogue going with my first and second interviewers (who is supposed to be a seen-not-heard observer for the most part.) At the beginning of my interview, this had a huge impact in putting me at ease and making my time feel conversational. Not sure you can manufacture this, but if your second interviewer engages you, engage them as best you can.

9) Don't focus on the reflection essay until after you finish. After grabbing my interviewer's cards (write a handwritten thank-you!!!), I went and wrote down all the questions I was asked right away. But not a second before.

10) Don't be afraid to write your real feelings on your post-interview reflection. Don't fret about the length - I've heard varied responses on how much people wrote. My response was about a page and a half. I wrote mine like a letter, addressing things I enjoyed about the interview, honed in on the most interesting part of the interview, and added one topic I wish we had covered. Let your personality show. Use your natural voice and try not to be too stiff. And, from a few admits I've met, it's okay to voice some disappointment or things you wish had gone differently. I don't think there are any "catches" in the process.

11) The interview process is the most personal, private part. I was more private with my application process than some - I didn't solicit any outside opinions during the written app. But thinking about interviewing, I really focused on looking inward on myself, where I've come, and where I'm going. I'm sure there are many paths to success, but I think in my case the interview and post-reflection process were done in isolation without outside influence.

If anyone has any other thoughts or questions, would be happy to be a resource. And congrats again! :)

Wow. This is great. Kind of wish I'd seen this before my interview! :-)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
djy2378 wrote:
hunterashmore wrote:
rodrigoj wrote:
Hi, I just got the invite today, kind of surprised as I was told that I was too old for HBS (I'm 31).

I live in Brazil and while I know that HBS says that interviewing off-campus doesn't hurt your chances, do you guys think that doing an on-campus interview might in some way increase the odds of being accepted?

Thanks!

out of curiosity, who told you that you were too old (I'm also 31, btw).

I don't think it hurts your chances per se, but I felt being on campus helped. Not just from an interview standpoint - you can do a class visit, tour campus and Boston, and get a feel for the type of people you will be surrounded by for the next two years. That whole experience made me even more sure that HBS is where I want to be, and I honestly think that kind of excitement helps when you interview.

Age 31 certainly wouldn't count towards your favor. More and more H/S are going after younger kids. Harsh, but it's the truth. Don't see how that is contributing to the Case Method...really.

I would add here that our tour guide (during interview day) said she had a 50-some year-old as a classmate. Certainly an outlier, but the point here is that age alone should not deter anyone from applying to HBS or any other b-school.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Any other R2 interviewees reading through the progression of R1 interviewees, earlier in this forum? A terrible way to bide time... :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [2]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Kudos
433349100 wrote:
Any other R2 interviewees reading through the progression of R1 interviewees, earlier in this forum? A terrible way to bide time... :)

Hang in there! As soon as the wait is over and you get the good news from HBS, the race starts again with all your pre-matriculation activities such as the housing lotteries, financial aid applications, student loan apps, etc. :D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Send PM
433349100 wrote:

Guilty as charged! 8-)

Are you also going though a statistical analysis of previous years and this years interview perception and admit results for candidates? ... If you say no, I'll know you're lying :-D
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bluegmat700 wrote:
433349100 wrote:

Guilty as charged! 8-)

Are you also going though a statistical analysis of previous years and this years interview perception and admit results for candidates? ... If you say no, I'll know you're lying :-D

Pretty much. Yeah. :)
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60  ...  64   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6925 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts