Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 19:44 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 19:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 740 Q45 V47
GPA: 3.53
WE:Law (Law)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Kellogg 2013 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants [#permalink]
giusippe wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I am in a unique situation and need your help/ thoughts on this:

I had applied for a 2 year MBA, but have been waitlisted for 1 year program.

From what I see, I have 2 options:

Option 1. I point the error out to them.

I believe two things can happen here:

a. They might take me off the waitlist for 1 year (as they might feel I might not be interested in 1 year program) and reject me for the 2 year program as well to avoid the hassle.

b. They move me to the 2 year waitlist. In this case, my peer group would be different, evaluation process might be different, scoring might be different. I am not sure if they would re-evaluate me completely again. I dont know if this is even a possiblity.

Some basic stats from 2012:
1 year MBA: 500 applicants, 100 admits (I believe a higher quality apps here attributable to higher savings, lack of any alternatives in terms of 1 yr programs from other top schools)
2 year MBA: 4500 applicants, 550 admits

Option 2. I provide updates and reiterate an interest in 1 year program:

Not sure how this would work out. I am not sure how much movement there is on 1 year MBA waitlist. Kellogg pretty much has a monopoly in this space and there might be very few dropouts. Based on some observation on Gmatclub, even a stanford admit was waiting for waitlist results from Kellogg 1 year program.

Any thoughts on how to proceed?

PS: An MBA is very critical for me at this juncture for further career progression.

I would figure out who your waitlist manager is and give them a call. You probably need to get on the waitlist you're supposed to be on - I don't think there's any gaming the system on this mistake here.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GPA: 2.99
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
hookemhorns612 wrote:
giusippe wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I am in a unique situation and need your help/ thoughts on this:

I had applied for a 2 year MBA, but have been waitlisted for 1 year program.

From what I see, I have 2 options:

Option 1. I point the error out to them.

I believe two things can happen here:

a. They might take me off the waitlist for 1 year (as they might feel I might not be interested in 1 year program) and reject me for the 2 year program as well to avoid the hassle.

b. They move me to the 2 year waitlist. In this case, my peer group would be different, evaluation process might be different, scoring might be different. I am not sure if they would re-evaluate me completely again. I dont know if this is even a possiblity.

1 year MBA: 500 applicants, 100 admits (I believe a higher quality apps here attributable to higher savings, lack of any alternatives in terms of 1 yr programs from other top schools)

Option 2. I provide updates and reiterate an interest in 1 year program:

Not sure how this would work out. I am not sure how much movement there is on 1 year MBA waitlist. Kellogg pretty much has a monopoly in this space and there might be very few dropouts. Based on some observation on Gmatclub, even a stanford admit was waiting for waitlist results from Kellogg 1 year program.

Any thoughts on how to proceed?

PS: An MBA is very critical for me at this juncture for further career progression.

I would figure out who your waitlist manager is and give them a call. You probably need to get on the waitlist you're supposed to be on - I don't think there's any gaming the system on this mistake here.

Agreed. I think you should tell your waitlist manager about the mistake. They will review your application again next month and I am sure they will notice that you applied to the 2 year anyway. If they were going to get to the point where they were going to offer you admission, they definitely would have looked at your application close enough to notice it was for the 2 year program. Any chance the letter said they thought you would be a better fit for the 1-year or just that you are on the 1-yr waitlist?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
madammepsychosis wrote:
Hey all. RD 2 waitlister here as well. Question: so I live in the Chicago area but have never made the trip up to Evanston for a school visit (multiple reasons, including work obligations, a torn ACL, and the fact that I know a lot of Kellogg graduates that I've spoken to about the school so I think I have a pretty solid idea of the culture already). Do you guys think it makes a lot of sense to try to take a day off work and get up to Evanston this week prior to contacting the WL manager next week? It is kind of pain for me to do since I'm hobbling around on crutches right now and have had to take a lot of time off work recently for surgery and recovery, but if it could be a make-or-break question if it comes up when speaking to the WL manager, I could wince through a class visit, info session, etc.

Bums about the torn ACL, I had that a few years ago, definitely a long recovery. I do think it would be a good idea to go to campus, however, I don't think you need to do it before you call your waitlist manager. They will likely tell you they will be reviewing your application at the end of April or some time like that so if you have any updates to send before then. So I think it would be better if you visited before you sent your update and then mentioned how great your visit was in your update. That should give you enough time to be a little more mobile. Even though you have friends who are alums, it can't hurt to mention your impressions from the class you visited or discussions with current students who have similar career interests.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Dakells wrote:
Agreed. I think you should tell your waitlist manager about the mistake. They will review your application again next month and I am sure they will notice that you applied to the 2 year anyway. If they were going to get to the point where they were going to offer you admission, they definitely would have looked at your application close enough to notice it was for the 2 year program. Any chance the letter said they thought you would be a better fit for the 1-year or just that you are on the 1-yr waitlist?

They just said, I am on the 1 yr waitlist!

I just hope they would review my application if I point this out to them... instead of rejecting me outright!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
giusippe wrote:
Dakells wrote:

I just hope they would review my application if I point this out to them... instead of rejecting me outright!

Who knows, they could do the opposite and accept you outright! I really don't think they would reject you without first reviewing you again, especially since they've made a mistake. It's actually probably less of a hassle to them to just move you to the 2 year waitlist.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 740 Q45 V47
GPA: 3.53
WE:Law (Law)
Send PM
Dakells wrote:
Bums about the torn ACL, I had that a few years ago, definitely a long recovery. I do think it would be a good idea to go to campus, however, I don't think you need to do it before you call your waitlist manager. They will likely tell you they will be reviewing your application at the end of April or some time like that so if you have any updates to send before then. So I think it would be better if you visited before you sent your update and then mentioned how great your visit was in your update. That should give you enough time to be a little more mobile. Even though you have friends who are alums, it can't hurt to mention your impressions from the class you visited or discussions with current students who have similar career interests.

Makes sense. Thanks for the advice. Good luck to you!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Dakells wrote:
giusippe wrote:
Dakells wrote:

Who knows, they could do the opposite and accept you outright! I really don't think they would reject you without first reviewing you again, especially since they've made a mistake. It's actually probably less of a hassle to them to just move you to the 2 year waitlist.

Yeah, you re right. it can go either ways. Maybe I ll wait until 1st april, talk with my waitlist manager and see what he has to say about my app.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
GPA: 3.1
WE:Project Management (Health Care)
Send PM
giusippe wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Wow, I thought Kellogg was close to 20% acceptance rate ? some one correct me btw, I am also a R2 WL here
Intern
Intern
Send PM
QHSWS wrote:
giusippe wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Wow, I thought Kellogg was close to 20% acceptance rate ? some one correct me btw, I am also a R2 WL here

Here you go (from their website):

2012 – 2013 Kellogg Full-Time Facts & Figures
Class Profile for 2012 Entrants

Total Number of Applicants 5071
Two-Year MBA and MMM Applicants 4583

Enrolled Students
Total 658
Two-Year MBA 477
One-Year MBA 100
The MMM Program 54
JD-MBA 27

https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/Pro ... ofile.aspx
Intern
Intern
Send PM
giusippe wrote:
QHSWS wrote:
giusippe wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Enrolled Students
Total 658
Two-Year MBA 477
One-Year MBA 100
The MMM Program 54
JD-MBA 27

O yeah, wasn't questioning your statistics at all, but the website compared t US news, someone gotta be lying about this hahaha (2 years MBA is what the US news refers to )

Northwestern University (Kellogg) Evanston, IL
$56,550 per year (full-time) 1,161 708 3.69 22.9% $134,001 76.9%

Well well, the waiting continues , good luck to all of us
Intern
Intern
Send PM
QHSWS wrote:
giusippe wrote:
QHSWS wrote:
Hi Everyone,

2 year MBA: 4500 applicants, 550 admits.

Enrolled Students
Total 658
Two-Year MBA 477
One-Year MBA 100
The MMM Program 54
JD-MBA 27

O yeah, wasn't questioning your statistics at all, but the website compared t US news, someone gotta be lying about this hahaha (2 years MBA is what the US news refers to )

Northwestern University (Kellogg) Evanston, IL
$56,550 per year (full-time) 1,161 708 3.69 22.9% $134,001 76.9%

Well well, the waiting continues , good luck to all of us

Maybe thats after taking into account their yield rates etc, which I believe is around 70% or so?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Keep in mind enrolled numbers and accepted numbers are going to be different. No Doubt Kellogg accepted more than 477 students for their 2Y MBA program.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: Booth '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Yikes. Took a stroll through last year's WL thread (good info in there that I would recommend everyone check out) and I noticed that some of the R1 waitlisters were checking their application status right around the R2 notification and it went from ding, back to WL, and then finally back to ding a little while later. So for a period of time they thought that they were back on the wait list and that the ding was a glitch when, in fact, it was not.

Given all the hijinks with notification for us in R2 (vague status change), I'm just going to avoid checking that site at all until I hear from Kellogg directly (either by email or hopefully by phone). Frankly, I may just avoid the message boards all together and just let it ride out that week.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V37
Send PM
count me in for the R2 waitlist :D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: Booth '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Took myself off the waitlist today. Good luck you guys!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
atthegate wrote:
Took myself off the waitlist today. Good luck you guys!

Is it today that we should start contacting the admission office ? or would they send us an email with next steps? any one knows?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Any updates?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  6   7   8   9   10   11   12  ...  23