Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 17:56 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 17:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [1]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72914 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [1]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Re: Columbia with Full tuition vs. Wharton [#permalink]
Kudos
I'm not going to make the case for Wharton, either. I would absolutely take the money at CBS, and even more so given that you're particularly interested in CBS's Value Investing Program.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
tashy001 wrote:
I realize Wharton is ranked a bit higher generally than Columbia and the facilities are not even comparable, but for someone looking at returning to investment management post-MBA, how much of a difference is there in these schools? I don't want to let the $ be a factor, but $120k is not immaterial (even more considering fellowships are essentially post-tax income). I am pretty set on Columbia given my interest in the value investing program, but would like to see if anyone can make a case on why to choose Wharton.

cbs is the easy choice. i have a friend interested in i.m. at wharton who wishes he'd gone to cbs. terrific job and congrats! enjoy the full-ride
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.29
Send PM
Take the money and RUN! No case for Wharton here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
tashy001 wrote:
I realize Wharton is ranked a bit higher generally than Columbia and the facilities are not even comparable, but for someone looking at returning to investment management post-MBA, how much of a difference is there in these schools? I don't want to let the $ be a factor, but $120k is not immaterial (even more considering fellowships are essentially post-tax income). I am pretty set on Columbia given my interest in the value investing program, but would like to see if anyone can make a case on why to choose Wharton.

congrats! $120k is a lot of money and given your interest in IM, CBS seems like the easy choice! the Value Investing Program seems to be on a class of its own, though the downside is that admission to the program isn't guaranteed. but given that you already have prior experience in the field, you will probably do just fine. i'll take the money and enjoy CBS & NYC!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.47
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
I have to choose between CBS and Wharton as well, though with no fellowships to either and I think it's a hard choice and am leaning toward CBS!

I'm interested in value investing as well. My understanding is that though the program is competitive, you can get almost all of the value even if you're not admitted to it. You can still take many of the classes and all the other programs are available to you. A lot of the value isn't in just the classes, but the mentorship, lectures, etc. that you can still have access to. Plus you'll still have the same network.

If CBS was offering me a full ride, it'd be a no brainer for me.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Real Estate
Schools: Wharton - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Send PM
I find this whole thing very deja vu, since I had to deal with a similar situation a few months back. Granted, I didn't get a full ride from CBS, but full tuition for the first year only, while Wharton gave me nothing. I spent over a month talking to professors, alums, current students, and people from my potential industry in order to make sure that I made the right choice for me.

In the end, I chose Wharton for two reasons - one, I ended up receiving a fellowship about a week before the decision was due (not as much as CBS gave me but still substantial); and two, the Admit Weekends were vastly different experiences. There's always a lot of talk about "fit," and Wharton really felt right to me - I felt much more at home with my potential classmates and current students at Wharton than I did at CBS. I don't know if I could really put my finger on the exact reasons, but it was a gut instinct, I guess. In terms of the post-MBA path, my impressions of Wharton real estate and what it had to offer over Columbia real estate were also stronger.

That said, financial matters are important, though I can't count the times when the words "rounding error" came up at both Admit Weekends when alums talked about their debt. Think about it based on your post-MBA field of choice - obviously, taking the plunge with debt could very well limit your flexibility in school in what you choose to pursue. But it's also important to think about your potential classmates, who will be a huge part of your network for the rest of your life.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk more about why I made my choice. I'd be happy to chat.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3122 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
I guess if there had been a poll it would have read CBS - 100%, Wharton - 0%. A full ride at CBS is too big to ignore Plus would look great on your resume when the recruiters come knocking..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
I love these dilemmas - this one falls into the category of "I cannot believe the good fortune; just toss a coin". Columbia! To say $120K is not immaterial is an understatement...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
GPA: 3.55
Send PM
Kudos
It sounds like you've already decided based on your original post, but here's what I did when choosing between Wharton (with $$) and Kellogg (with none)

Imagine that Wharton gave you an amount twice that of what Columbia gave you. Would you go there? If so, the money is making the decision. If you still wouldn't go to Wharton, then your heartstrings are telling you Columbia. Follow them. You'll do much better at the school that's a better fit for you.

Flip a coin. Heads, Columbia, tails, Wharton. If it comes up tails and you try to re-flip or think it's wrong, then you've made your decision - Columbia. If you look at the coin flip as some sort of divine intervention telling you that Wharton's right, then go there. (Nerd alert: I did this, but instead of a coin, I used an Excel model with a =rand function - further proof I'm a perfect fit for Wharton's analytical culture)

In situations like this, go with your heart. Based on your original post, it sounds like you really want Columbia but want confirmation that it's not crazy to pick #8 rather than #3. With $120K, it's definitely not! Enjoy NYC!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [5]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks everyone...I think I had made up my mind but it definitely helps to get some outside advice. CBS it is...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Human Resources, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.54
WE:Human Resources (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Wow, congrats on your achievement!!!
if I were you, I would go for CBS
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V33
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
tashy001 wrote:
Thanks everyone...I think I had made up my mind but it definitely helps to get some outside advice. CBS it is...

Here, you made a good 'value' investment.
All the best !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 245 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Exactly the same situation here: accepted by both CBS and Wharton (plus accepted by LBS, and waitlisted then ding by HBS), with full tuition scholarship at CBS.
To be honest, I had already chose CBS even before knowing about the scholarship.

See you soon at CBS!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.29
Send PM
Kudos
This video just endorsed your decision:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5SvTZ6qQ3g

:P
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Send PM
Congratulations! :-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [1]
Given Kudos: 64
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
Kudos
Columbia Follies puts everything into perspective: https://youtu.be/q5SvTZ6qQ3g

Edit: ugh scooped by westsidah408

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Moss wrote:
Columbia Follies puts everything into perspective: https://youtu.be/q5SvTZ6qQ3g

Edit: ugh scooped by westsidah408

Posted from my mobile device

Ha! Love the self-awareness of the CBS follies!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts