Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 21:01 It is currently 07 May 2024, 21:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Re: Should I retake? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
linglinrtw wrote:
3.78 GPA undergrad, 3.9 GPA for the master program I did along with my bachelor. I moved to the US when I was 10, so communicating in English is not a problem.

Because I didn't do too well on verbal the first time around, I volunteered to write for my company's quarterly newsletter. I also plan to have my recommenders to focus on my verbal ability.

I have been with a weekly math tutoring program since 2010, received the most supportive tutor award this year; am also a steering committee member for another non profit. Led two breast cancer fundraising initiatives at my first job. Traveled a lot (been to all 7 continents).

I am leaning toward taking the test again as the second test is definitely not reflective of my ability, just want to proof to myself.

Accepted.com wrote:
linglinrtw wrote:
I got 700 (q51 v32) on my first GMAT; decided to retake as everyone I spoke with suggested that a 80/80 split will be ideal, then I got 640 (q51 v25), lowest verbal I have ever gotten ever. It's really disappointing, but what's done is done.

I know it's best to re-take as my second attempt is definitely going to raise questions about my verbal ability unless I can counter that on my third attempt. However, I am just super exhausted with GMAT and am really sick of it.

If I do retake, I will probably take it in 30 days. Aug/September will be cutting it too close. However, if I don't retake, would it be an automatic ding for schools that I will be applying to?

p.s. The schools I sent reports on my first exam (my second choices) are different than reports I sent to on my second exam (top choices). So, the big question is, am I doomed for my second choices as they will be able to see how bad my scores dropped.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

How are your grades? Is English your native language? Can you present other evidence that you can communicate well in English?

Schools "take" the highest score, but they will see both.

Best,
Linda

If you think you can improve it, that's the safer route. Also, bring out in your app the details you mention above.

Best,
Linda
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Should I retake? [#permalink]