Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 20:57 It is currently 03 May 2024, 20:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 750 [1]
Given Kudos: 61
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: ISB '15
WE:Account Management (Other)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 750 [0]
Send PM
Send PM
Re: Best schools for one year MBA in finance???? [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi Pavan,

So your work experiences after 6 years (I get flat organizations, so don't worry about that) probably has some opportunities for interesting experiences. How would you rate your personal experiences? Do you think they're average? Above average? Amazing? In other words, are you doing great things no one else your age is doing?

In terms of involvement, to be honest, donating doesn't count. Your hobbies, biking especially, are something to mention but they don't count in terms of impact really so I'm sure you know this part is lacking.

Finally, regarding academics, you haven't mentioned a GMAT score but your GPA is a little below average. I understand certain majors are more difficult than others (and come with lower grades) but even with an adjustment, you're in a very competitive pool. What did you get on your GMAT?

Your GMAT will make a big difference in what schools I can recommend so I'll wait for you on that.

Re: PS - no, don't mention this. You're pretty far into your career and a switch from a cost accountant to HR would be a very difficult story to communicate. You can explore it when you actually get in, but for the purposes of your application, just keep it in line!

Bhavik
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi Bhavik,
I am really thankful to you for your prompt responses.

On the GMAT score front, I have got 650 but I am preparing for a retake to get 700+. I am trying to take the exam by second week of september so that I can catch up with the R2 for ISB.

On the profile front- I would rate it between Average and Above Average. It is challenging in terms of the number of things to do but as such the activities ,according to me, are not outstanding. So I would give it Average rating.

I handle a team size of about 10 people who report directly or indirectly to me. I handled a team of 20-22 people when I was in a different business. I am not sure whether this matters, but I have been associated with 4 different businesses during my experience in this organisation. Currently I am responsible for finance and accounts of a business that has a Turnover of about INR 6 billions

Pavan.

Posted from my mobile device
Send PM
Kudos
Hah - yes, I would say that matters! You can definitely identify impact and scope clearly and there's no questioning that!

Ok, so let's assume you can get that 700+. The inherent issue becomes you don't have that many schools that offer structured 1 year programs. Kellogg, Cornell, Emory, and USC are probably the higher ranked options. I'd probably tell you to add Columbia's J Term to this list - it's not 12 months, but it's 16 and given their brand and network, might be worth the 4 extra months.

HOWEVER - let's go back to your original questions. Is a 1 year the right option. On one hand, it's a great way to get your MBA and tap into both the brand and the network. On the other, if you're looking to switch careers (e.g. HR), then you'd need the full 2 year program. The internship, involvement, and networking opportunities will be critical.

You're definitely not too old to apply to a full 2 year program - so don't let that stop you! And I understand it makes more financial sense to go for a 1 year but when considering this investment, keep in mind the saying "penny wise, pound foolish", right?

So with all that said - do you need or want a 2 year program? If the answer is no, then let's talk 1 year. But if the answer is yes or even maybe, then you have a little introspection ahead of you!

Bhavik
Manager
Manager
Send PM
CriticalSquareMBA wrote:
Hah - yes, I would say that matters! You can definitely identify impact and scope clearly and there's no questioning that!

Ok, so let's assume you can get that 700+. The inherent issue becomes you don't have that many schools that offer structured 1 year programs. Kellogg, Cornell, Emory, and USC are probably the higher ranked options. I'd probably tell you to add Columbia's J Term to this list - it's not 12 months, but it's 16 and given their brand and network, might be worth the 4 extra months.

HOWEVER - let's go back to your original questions. Is a 1 year the right option. On one hand, it's a great way to get your MBA and tap into both the brand and the network. On the other, if you're looking to switch careers (e.g. HR), then you'd need the full 2 year program. The internship, involvement, and networking opportunities will be critical.

You're definitely not too old to apply to a full 2 year program - so don't let that stop you! And I understand it makes more financial sense to go for a 1 year but when considering this investment, keep in mind the saying "penny wise, pound foolish", right?

So with all that said - do you need or want a 2 year program? If the answer is no, then let's talk 1 year. But if the answer is yes or even maybe, then you have a little introspection ahead of you!

Bhavik

Thanks Bhavik for your response.

I think I definitely need to go through some process of introspection now as I was thinking Age is the major barrier for me for a 2 year program and you have really given good piece of advice on the importance of 2 yr program if I really want to switch career.

Thanks Again Bhavik !!! Your insights will definitely impact my thinking and decisions.

However, considering that I am still slightly inclined towards 1 year program, I am interested to know your opinion on ISB's 1 year program or Insead's since the names you suggested do not include these.

Pavan.
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [0]
Send PM
Hey man,

I'm happy to help! I'm glad you found it useful. ISB is a great program but if you're ever looking to leave India, probably not the best option honestly. Also, from a personal development standpoint, it might be nice to shake up the environment. A lot of the learning in an MBA classroom comes from those around you so keep that in mind.

INSEAD is a great program but it isn't right for everyone. Additionally, you don't really have international work experience which is something they really value. Additionally, their brand is stronger is certain global territories than others. Additionally, their 1 year program doesn't give you the internship option again and for them, that generally means something global, so that would be a bummer to miss out on.

I don't think either of them are bad options and they may fit certain personal criteria like cost but that's really up to you as you make a holistic decision.

Bhavik
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GPA: 3.22
WE:Brand Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Top one year MBA programs [#permalink]
Hi dear members of GMAT club ! But my questions go especially to BAHvik whose advices are somewhat very helpful
I am a west african citizen,i am 42,Bsc in commerce,upper second class honnor, GPA:3.33,and WE:8years with 3 years in brand management.
However my first Gmat score was one of the wosrt cauz i got 200. Though my target schools are those of top 30.I'd like to know if my fisrt gmat score will be a real handicap even i get a better score by the 4 months coming up? secondly, as i 'am willing to do an MBA in general management, what kind of MBA shouldi appy for ? one year or two year MBA program? thirdly ,what score aceptable score of gmat should i have to be accepted in the top 30
kind regards!
walbing 01
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [0]
Send PM
Hi there walbing01 - it's nice to have a fan (is that the right phrasing? I have no idea...but thanks)!

So we don't hijack this thread I'll respond to your post via PM, ok?

Cheers,

Bhavik
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 154 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Re: Top one year MBA programs [#permalink]
walbing01 wrote:
However my first Gmat score was one of the wosrt cauz i got 200. Though my target schools are those of top 30.

I am a fan of yours ! Do you have a twitter account to follow ? :)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Top one year MBA programs [#permalink]