Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 17:02 It is currently 07 May 2024, 17:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2064 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Profile Eval - Female with non-profit experience [#permalink]
I agree with Jon. Don't worry about applying until you have, in hand, the highest possible GMAT score. By applying through the consortium and from an underrepresented pool, that gives you some advantages. But you don't want those advantages to be used up by a very low GMAT. I'm glad the preparations are going well for your retake so just heads down on that and if, after that effort, you need to retake it again, that's ok. Just get it up as high as possible!

Bhavik
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks all for the feedback! I am studying hard for my GMAT and postponed it for a month so that I could get some more studying in. I will come back and update my post once I have re-taken the exam.

Originally posted by Bamboo09 on 28 Aug 2013, 07:29.
Last edited by Bamboo09 on 12 Jan 2015, 10:22, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.49
WE:Analyst (Insurance)
Send PM
For the GMAT, the trick is to time yourself, go back and check your errors with a different color ink, and use the GMAT Archer from Manhattan GMAT. WHen you do that and go through every problem in the original guide (even and especially for verbal) you'll see great improvements in your score. This will require a good 100 hours but concentrated practice but if you do it then the GMAT will be your strong point rather than your weak point in your application.

Bruce
Intern
Intern
Send PM
So just as an update, I retook the GMAT last week and got a 460 :( . I was like 17% percentile in quant and I think 23% in verbal. It was devastating. AWA went fine, I got a 7 on IR, but once I hit the quant section, I took too long on the first few problems and my timing got way off. I'm not even sure if I hit submit on the final question before the timer ran out. It was a mess. Then during my break, I sat down to eat a snack and next thing I knew I got back to the computer and my time had already started, so my verbal was a nightmare. I was thinking about how I had messed up throughout the whole section, and could not concentrate.

I collected my results sheet and went home defeated. However, after doing some deep thinking, getting my MBA is definitely my next stop on my journey, and I'm not going to give up. I know exactly where I went wrong: Timing. I did not do a single practice test. I was so used to taking my time on practice problems, that when it was time for the real deal, I blanked.

I am rescheduling for December so that I can still meet the Consortium GMAT deadline. I'm also going to have to concurrently work on my essays and recommendations, but my eye is on the prize so I'm just going to have to tough it out. I am scheduling weekly practice tests, I am going to go through all of my lessons and practice problems on Magoosh GMAT, and I am going to buy the OG 13 and do all of the problems in it, because I currently have the OG 12, but I have a photographic memory so it is hard for me to re-do problems because I have already memorized the answers. I am also going to read the economist and the wall street journal articles first thing in the morning when I get into work to prep my brain for the long passages.

I will not be defeated!

Time to get into high gear!
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2064 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bamboo09 wrote:
So just as an update, I retook the GMAT last week and got a 460 :( . I was like 17% percentile in quant and I think 23% in verbal. It was devastating. AWA went fine, I got a 7 on IR, but once I hit the quant section, I took too long on the first few problems and my timing got way off. I'm not even sure if I hit submit on the final question before the timer ran out. It was a mess. Then during my break, I sat down to eat a snack and next thing I knew I got back to the computer and my time had already started, so my verbal was a nightmare. I was thinking about how I had messed up throughout the whole section, and could not concentrate.

I collected my results sheet and went home defeated. However, after doing some deep thinking, getting my MBA is definitely my next stop on my journey, and I'm not going to give up. I know exactly where I went wrong: Timing. I did not do a single practice test. I was so used to taking my time on practice problems, that when it was time for the real deal, I blanked.

I am rescheduling for December so that I can still meet the Consortium GMAT deadline. I'm also going to have to concurrently work on my essays and recommendations, but my eye is on the prize so I'm just going to have to tough it out. I am scheduling weekly practice tests, I am going to go through all of my lessons and practice problems on Magoosh GMAT, and I am going to buy the OG 13 and do all of the problems in it, because I currently have the OG 12, but I have a photographic memory so it is hard for me to re-do problems because I have already memorized the answers. I am also going to read the economist and the wall street journal articles first thing in the morning when I get into work to prep my brain for the long passages.

I will not be defeated!

Time to get into high gear!

Ohhhhhhhhhhh! that IS pretty devastating. Take your time before you take your next exam. There's no point or advantage rushing things, until you feel confident that you will get the best score you can.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
You definitely have the right attitude. You will not be defeated. Please keep us all updated.

Good Luck!!!!!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Profile Eval - Female with non-profit experience [#permalink]
I'm back with an update... I just re-took the GMAT and I scored a 560 :-(. It is my highest score ever but alas it was not the 640 I was aiming for.

I messed up on IR this time and got a 2 (23%). Despite concentrating solely on Quant, I got my worst score ever. I barely touched Verbal and got my highest score ever.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. I'm 4 weeks away from the deadline and things are looking bleak.

Originally posted by Bamboo09 on 05 Dec 2013, 12:41.
Last edited by Bamboo09 on 29 Mar 2015, 10:14, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I am sorry your GMAT score did not increase, but my advice still holds in that you should still apply to the Consortium and your target schools because you come from two underrepresented minority groups. I have had many successful candidates with similar profiles.

Good luck,
GMAT Club Bot