Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 22:02 It is currently 07 May 2024, 22:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation - Strong Stats, but bad finish [#permalink]
Expert Reply
DFENS wrote:
Hi Linda,

My concern is that I got terminated from my most recent employer and that I'm currently working for $0 salary.
Also, I'm wondering how I should spin my experience to get in. Should I say I voluntarily quit and now want to do entrepreneurship? Or say I was laid off (which would be a red flag)?
I want to go back into finance, but obviously that would not mesh with my most recent experience.

Interesting that you say that I have a competitive profile. Other consultants have told me that in light of the past 6 months, I stand little to no chance at my target schools.
DFENS wrote:
Hi Linda,

My concern is that I got terminated from my most recent employer and that I'm currently working for $0 salary.
Also, I'm wondering how I should spin my experience to get in. Should I say I voluntarily quit and now want to do entrepreneurship? Or say I was laid off (which would be a red flag)?
I want to go back into finance, but obviously that would not mesh with my most recent experience.

Interesting that you say that I have a competitive profile. Other consultants have told me that in light of the past 6 months, I stand little to no chance at my target schools.

thanks for clarifying. We consultants don't always agree. And neither do the schools. Those differences reflect the subjectivity of admissions.

Here's how I see it: Your GPA is competitive. Your GMAT is stellar. Your work experience is good. And you have a CFA. Extra-curriculars are decent. The lay-off is an issue that needs to be addressed, but a layoff isn't the end of the world. If your current business is a real business, just a start-up that isn't yet making money, that too can be addressed and my even be a positive.

Still, your chances are better at schools like Cornell, Darden, and Yale, than at Wharton, CBS, and MIT. You are smart to add the former schools to your application list. I also recommend that you apply over round 1 and round 2.

Regarding your current business, can't you say that you had a business idea and decided to you use the period in between leaving your previous employer and starting schools to try it out?

Linda
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile Evaluation - Strong Stats, but bad finish [#permalink]