Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 07:08 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 07:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [2]
Given Kudos: 90
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Re: Booth (Chicago): Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink]
Kudos
Interview questions - Why MBA? Why Booth? Example of when you led a team. What is your favorite super hero? A time you had to convince someone of something. And what would you do for a living if money was not an issue.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Schools: Tuck '16 (M$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
MBAUnderDOG wrote:
How are you guys/gals preparing for the interview? Any idea on the types of questions Booth asks?

A ton of interview reports at clearadmit:
https://blog.clearadmit.com/category/interview-reports/school/chicago-booth/
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [2]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.9
WE:Asset Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
Kudos
Had interview offsite with an alum yesterday over coffee. Really conversational. 35-40 minutes interview, 10 minute questions.

Why MBA now?
Why Chicago?
Describe a time when there was a conflict?
Describe a time when you had a failure?
Short term long term goals.
What is your biggest weakness? Your philosophy / motivation etc.
How do you do in team settings?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Kudos
TheEntrepreneur wrote:
Had interview offsite with an alum yesterday over coffee. Really conversational. 35-40 minutes interview, 10 minute questions.

Why MBA now?
Why Chicago?

Good stuff, thanks!

Also, curious why you went ahead w/ the Booth interview considering that you've been accepted to CBS '16 (presumably ED)?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
TheEntrepreneur wrote:

Why MBA now?
Why Chicago?

Thanks for this and good luck for the result.

Slightly curious (and a bit amused) about the last question. How do people answer that? Obviously, no one says I'm bad on teams. Is it just about saying - Excellent as shown in X, Y, and Z situations?
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51455 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Expert Reply

GMAT Club Booth 2013 webinar with MBA Mission

Join us for a webinar on Nov 07, 2013 at 3:00 PM PST.
Register now!
https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/regist ... 2454228226

A 2001 graduate of Harvard University, Andrew Mitchell was a senior consultant with Booz Allen Hamilton before attending Chicago Booth to build his skills and connections in brand management and entrepreneurship. His professional experience includes supporting network defense and national security for the Pentagon and the Department of Homeland Security, working at Google and founding two companies, including an Internet start-up for which he argued a precedent-setting case before the Federal Election Commission. One of the first Kaplan GMAT instructors to achieve Elite teacher status, Andrew joined Kaplan Test Prep’s GMAT and GRE brand team in 2009 and has been quoted on the topics of the GMAT and business school in such publications as the Wall Street Journal, the New York Times, the Financial Times, Bloomberg Businessweek and U.S. News & World Report. As Director of GMAT Programs, Andrew created Kaplan’s nationwide Road to Business School meet-and-greet fair and has worked directly with hundreds of business school admissions officers on MBA recruitment, in addition to having conducted admissions interviews for Chicago Booth. He has also taught and tutored college-level English, Spanish, mathematics and electronics. His published writing includes pieces on business leadership, travel, English and math, as well as popular fiction.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Kudos
souvik101990 wrote:

GMAT Club Booth 2013 webinar with MBA Mission

Join us for a webinar on Nov 07, 2013 at 3:00 PM PST.
Register now!
https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/regist ... 2454228226

A 2001 graduate of Harvard University, Andrew Mitchell was a senior consultant with Booz Allen Hamilton before attending Chicago Booth to build his skills and connections in brand management and entrepreneurship. His professional experience includes supporting network defense and national security for the Pentagon and the Department of Homeland Security, working at Google and founding two companies, including an Internet start-up for which he argued a precedent-setting case before the Federal Election Commission. One of the first Kaplan GMAT instructors to achieve Elite teacher status, Andrew joined Kaplan Test Prep’s GMAT and GRE brand team in 2009 and has been quoted on the topics of the GMAT and business school in such publications as the Wall Street Journal, the New York Times, the Financial Times, Bloomberg Businessweek and U.S. News & World Report. As Director of GMAT Programs, Andrew created Kaplan’s nationwide Road to Business School meet-and-greet fair and has worked directly with hundreds of business school admissions officers on MBA recruitment, in addition to having conducted admissions interviews for Chicago Booth. He has also taught and tutored college-level English, Spanish, mathematics and electronics. His published writing includes pieces on business leadership, travel, English and math, as well as popular fiction.

I wish you could post these webinar invites a little bit earlier to give those of us who are in different time zones a little head start.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
This post is for future Indian Applicants who come in search of some data points to decide to apply or not...who may have to shell out 250$ = 16000/rs plus 1 month of hard work to apply to booth(or any college).....i had 710 gmat, 7.5 years of experience and a great career progression in IT --Trainee Engineer -- Software Engineer - Senior Software Engineer -- Project Lead -- Associate Manager -- Product Manager in 7 years(though i changed 5 companies, which in many ways enriched my experience) ...made a good presentation and devoted good time to application..... Got a DING without INTERVIEW...
My 2 cents ...for US top 10, get at least GMAT 750 if you are not from IIT...and if you don't have it and don't want to compromise with US top 10+, stop wasting your time and pursue MBA from Singapore(NUS/NTU)/IIM A/B or spend quality time on your job and ideas.....Good luck! ...(I observed that invites , at least in this forum, went to 750+ candidates from various backgrounds, IT being least favored -- or lets say I am still to find a Indian IT guy with less than 750 score who is not working in US and still got a invite!)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: International Business, General Management
WE:Analyst (Venture Capital)
Send PM
a281983 wrote:
This post is for future Indian Applicants who come in search of some data points to decide to apply or not...who may have to shell out 250$ = 16000/rs plus 1 month of hard work to apply to booth(or any college).....i had 710 gmat, 7.5 years of experience and a great career progression in IT --Trainee Engineer -- Software Engineer - Senior Software Engineer -- Project Lead -- Associate Manager -- Product Manager in 7 years(though i changed 5 companies, which in many ways enriched my experience) ...made a good presentation and devoted good time to application..... Got a DING without INTERVIEW...
My 2 cents ...for US top 10, get at least GMAT 750 if you are not from IIT...and if you don't have it and don't want to compromise with US top 10+, stop wasting your time and pursue MBA from Singapore(NUS/NTU)/IIM A/B or spend quality time on your job and ideas.....Good luck! ...(I observed that invites , at least in this forum, went to 750+ candidates from various backgrounds, IT being least favored -- or lets say I am still to find a Indian IT guy with less than 750 score who is not working in US and still got a invite!)

I don't come from an Indian background but do come from an overrepresented group. I applied to 4 schools in 2011 with a 700 GMAT - 0 acceptances and 1 interview invite. 2 years later, with a 760 GMAT, 4 R1 applications and 4 interview invites; same caliber schools. It definitely makes a difference.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
a281983 wrote:

I don't come from an over represented group. BUT I cannot agree with your sentiments. I'm not saying Indian IT guys don't have a tougher time getting in because they do. Visit a class and you will see that probably <10% of the class are Indian. Compare that against the number who apply, it's very tough. But to say unless you are a graduate of IIT with a super GPA, 750+ GMAT is not true.

People think that GMAT+GPA+Great Work ex = sure fire admit. I honestly believe the admissions teams of various schools when they say the process is holistic. Yes you need the requisite numbers to play but only to be competitive. Once you are in the competitive pot, everything else comes into play. I know in quite a lot of countries, the education system is geared towards numbers and who is the best (India being one of them) but there is a reason why people with GPAs < 3.3 get in. Unfortunately just because you are #1 or top 10% or won a bunch of medals, that's not enough. I am not saying that a 780 GMAT does not stand out. Of course it does, but I don't see any school with an average GMAT of 760. In fact, I would guess that the Indian applicants probably don't average that either.

Similarly with work experience, it is not enough to have achieved a bunch of promotions and won awards at work. This does not by itself stand out. There are people who have never been promoted once or won a single award, yet get admitted. Why? They convinced the admissions team that they were exceptional even without those things. If everyone gets an award, that's no longer special. If you get promoted lots but on the same track as everyone else, you are not so special. The key is the context.

Just a final thing, I know the ding hurt. But you can only get in if you apply. Yes $250 is a ton of money when converted back into INR but if you don't apply, you will never get in. Better to have tried and failed than to have never tried at all.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Well, from his perspective, he's just suggesting to a certain group of future applicants to be wise with their self-selection. It's tough to feel how they feel and easy to say otherwise. I cant say he's completely accurate about his statements, but there's a lot of truth in his generalization also. We all have dreams and ambitions, but we also need to be realistic about our individual situations. Why be blinded by our dreams and focus all the energy and money on a far stretch school (HBS for example), when this applicant could use that time and money to apply to an additional M16 or Top 25 school? Self-selection is part of the strategy, is it always right? probably not, but that's just the way it is.

$250 has a different value to different people. It could mean a few cocktails at a party or eating ramen noodles for an entire month to save that money. Some people just can't afford to take more chances with the money and it maybe difficult to understand that from our point of view.

It's better to keep the dream alive (10-25 ranked school) then taking a long shot and miss (Top 10).

Just MHO

domotron wrote:
a281983 wrote:

I don't come from an over represented group. BUT I cannot agree with your sentiments. I'm not saying Indian IT guys don't have a tougher time getting in because they do. Visit a class and you will see that probably <10% of the class are Indian. Compare that against the number who apply, it's very tough. But to say unless you are a graduate of IIT with a super GPA, 750+ GMAT is not true.

People think that GMAT+GPA+Great Work ex = sure fire admit. I honestly believe the admissions teams of various schools when they say the process is holistic. Yes you need the requisite numbers to play but only to be competitive. Once you are in the competitive pot, everything else comes into play. I know in quite a lot of countries, the education system is geared towards numbers and who is the best (India being one of them) but there is a reason why people with GPAs < 3.3 get in. Unfortunately just because you are #1 or top 10% or won a bunch of medals, that's not enough. I am not saying that a 780 GMAT does not stand out. Of course it does, but I don't see any school with an average GMAT of 760. In fact, I would guess that the Indian applicants probably don't average that either.

Similarly with work experience, it is not enough to have achieved a bunch of promotions and won awards at work. This does not by itself stand out. There are people who have never been promoted once or won a single award, yet get admitted. Why? They convinced the admissions team that they were exceptional even without those things. If everyone gets an award, that's no longer special. If you get promoted lots but on the same track as everyone else, you are not so special. The key is the context.

Just a final thing, I know the ding hurt. But you can only get in if you apply. Yes $250 is a ton of money when converted back into INR but if you don't apply, you will never get in. Better to have tried and failed than to have never tried at all.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
domotron wrote:
a281983 wrote:

Food for thought -- Everyone is special in his/her own way. Don't you think people who are eventually getting in are maybe more convincing(or good at exaggerating facts/ creative/ had extra time and spend months researching adcoms and schools rather than learning anything -- if these are required just to show your interest in school, then an investment of 1 month and 250$ are good enough!) and less talented than other rejected candidates. "Convince the adcom" and "be special" are totally generic terms and still keep you in dark. If some school has say 5 parameters, they should publish those parameters, the way they score these parameters, cutoffs and total cutoff precisely. Make the system transparent!

And yes add 250$*6(for 5 schools and GMAT) - that money is annual savings for decent engineers in India. The whole process of "convincing" for say 5 schools takes 3-4 months. If you take the same money and same time, one can probably launch 2 startups here in Bangalore and pitch for VC funding in competitions rather than throwing darts in the dark. HBS was correct with just one essay, the thing is they took so many years to realize this. If I had it my way, I would have a open business case challenge rather than writing poetic verses on self appraisal.

Point remains - 750+ GMAT for Indian IT guys for US top 10. That's the first step. Convincing and essay writing, equally important, come next.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V43
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
a281983 wrote:
domotron wrote:
a281983 wrote:

Food for thought -- Everyone is special in his/her own way. Don't you think people who are eventually getting in are maybe more convincing(or good at exaggerating facts/ creative/ had extra time and spend months researching adcoms and schools rather than learning anything -- if these are required just to show your interest in school, then an investment of 1 month and 250$ are good enough!) and less talented than other rejected candidates. "Convince the adcom" and "be special" are totally generic terms and still keep you in dark. If some school has say 5 parameters, they should publish those parameters, the way they score these parameters, cutoffs and total cutoff precisely. Make the system transparent!

And yes add 250$*6(for 5 schools and GMAT) - that money is annual savings for decent engineers in India. The whole process of "convincing" for say 5 schools takes 3-4 months. If you take the same money and same time, one can probably launch 2 startups here in Bangalore and pitch for VC funding in competitions rather than throwing darts in the dark. HBS was correct with just one essay, the thing is they took so many years to realize this. If I had it my way, I would have a open business case challenge rather than writing poetic verses on self appraisal.

Point remains - 750+ GMAT for Indian IT guys for US top 10. That's the first step. Convincing and essay writing, equally important, come next.

This is a never-ending argument, but I'll play devil's advocate for a minute. Why? Because Friday nights during application season are for endless trolling of forums, rather than doing anything fun. :-D

The original poster said that Indian guys need 750+ GMAT scores to have a shot at the Top 10 US schools, if they're not from IIT (the best Indian engineering schools, to those who don't know what that is). True statement? While I'm not sure the bar is set quite that high, I'm inclined to say that the broader point is fair. This is one of the most competitive demographics out there, so it stands to reason that every admissions metric will be inflated simply due to competition.

Does that mean that someone who doesn't have these stats stands no chance? No, because if there's one thing schools love even more than stats, its uniqueness and/or impact. If you can bring something different to the table, you have a shot, perhaps even a better one that the conventional dudes with the stats. But the reality is that the majority of applicants have done pretty conventional things, so they have no choice but to swim with the sharks.

Given these stats, should Indian applicants try to be realistic in assessing their chances and deciding where they should apply? Yes. Should they be wise in spending $250 per application? Sure, but that's an entirely personal decision. In context, $250 is peanuts compared to the $150-200K they'll have to pony up for the degree. I agree with Domotron on this one - nobody is downplaying the monetary commitment required to apply, but if you don't buy the ticket, you won't win the lottery.

Finally, I have to take exception with the original poster's subsequent comments about the people who do beat these odds. Yes, these people may be skilled at positioning/marketing themselves (and there's nothing wrong with that... marketing is a life skill, like any other), but that's NOT the whole story. The biggest reason this demographic is so competitive is because there are a lot of really smart, accomplished people applying to the top schools. Going to a top undergrad program, working for a top company, doing well there, getting a stellar GMAT score, writing convincing essays... all of these are indicators. And at the end of the day, this is all the Adcom has to go by - it's not like they know you - so it makes little sense for a rational Adcom member to disregard them in favour of some other amorphous, equally debatable measure of an applicant's worth. Are there better metrics they could use, like the one you suggested? Maybe. I don't know what they would be, but sure. For now, this is how the game is played.

That's just my opinion, and it comes from someone who's in pretty much the same boat as you are. A little perspective goes a long way... keep your chin up and keep trying, something will work out eventually.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
@applebees - Totally agree on the cash point. For those of us working in US/Europe, it is definitely less of a burden to shell out $250 to apply when compared to other places and therefore for those without the means, maybe they do have to be more self-critical and be realistic. However, that's nothing a balanced strategy can't fixed. E.g. 2 Top10/Reach school and 2 Top 10-30 school/Competitive would be the best of the both worlds.

@a281983 - I agree with your point regarding the financial burden for Indian applicants. However, I would hope that once you get go on to study and complete your MBA, you will find that these costs were rather insignificant after all. As to whether it is worth spending all this money or whether you should launch a start-up, well that's up to you. But let's face it, we're all here on this forum trying to get a place for next year rather than the latter.

I don't deny that in some ways, the admissions process is a game where you have to convince the admissions team why you would be a perfect fit for their school. However, it is what it is. To get into our school of choice, we have to play their game. You mentioned HBS. I didn't get the impression (FYI I was dinged there) that their admissions process is any less "blackbox" or different from any other schools. As for the qualities they are looking for, once again, this goes back to my point of the process not being a check-box system. The reason being there are way more qualified candidates than there are spots in a class. This is a fact. Again I put this down to a cultural difference where in other countries it seem to be numbers driven. If you hit x, y and z, you automatically get admitted.

@rcmba - Great post.

I think I will leave it at that before flooding the thread with discussion. Let's get back to Booth!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
In for R2- have a question: Making PPT is not my forte, if I opt for the regular written essay as the alternative of the PPT, will my chances be hurt?
For those who got invites in R1, many congrats!- anyone of you did not choose the ppt format for that essay question?
Thanks a million!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
I am going for R2 too and I am not doing any kind of PPT. Why should the admission guys tell us to chose any one were more comfortable with if they would only mark us down for doing exactly that?

In a nutshell, I doubt that they would be more favorably disposed to PPT. And I don't care what any consultant says either.

lostkiki wrote:
In for R2- have a question: Making PPT is not my forte, if I opt for the regular written essay as the alternative of the PPT, will my chances be hurt?
For those who got invites in R1, many congrats!- anyone of you did not choose the ppt format for that essay question?
Thanks a million!

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
Send PM
lostkiki wrote:
Thanks a million!

No. An essay is fine. I chose a PowerPoint but I met many applicants who got interview invitations who did an essay
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  22   23   24   25   26   27   28  ...  71   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts