Last visit was: 10 Jun 2024, 03:46 It is currently 10 Jun 2024, 03:46
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 959 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.88
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [1]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
Hailmary, Have you done any research on housing yet?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
BonzoX85 wrote:
Has anyone received the credentials to login in the admitted student portal mentioned in the letter?

Just got it

Posted from my mobile device

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Send PM
vomhorizon wrote:
Hailmary, Have you done any research on housing yet?

Yes, if budget allows, station 9 is the most popular spot for first years. I think the two bedroom is around 825 per person. If you are looking for cheaper options, you can find few apt complexes for around 420 per person - all fairly close to Fuqua. The fb group has an excel file which lists all options. I will do the apartment tour during bdw and will let you know.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
could you provide a link for the facebook group?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Send PM
vomhorizon wrote:
could you provide a link for the facebook group?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/dukemba2016/

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
Kudos
BonzoX85 wrote:
Has anyone received the credentials to login in the admitted student portal mentioned in the letter?

I got the email with credentials today morning.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Supply Chain Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
I had a question regarding official score report. Once Fuqua receives our official GMAT and TOEFL scores, does our application reflect that scores were received and verified?
(I am an R2 applicant and I have reported my scores already. But don't see any updates on my application. Have not submitted my application yet)

Thanks!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Kudos
Laksh2013 wrote:
I had a question regarding official score report. Once Fuqua receives our official GMAT and TOEFL scores, does our application reflect that scores were received and verified?
(I am an R2 applicant and I have reported my scores already. But don't see any updates on my application. Have not submitted my application yet)

Thanks!

It can take a few days for it to be updated on the system. I think that my TOEFL score took 2-3 weeks top appear as approved.
As long as you've sent it in an official way (i.e. through the GMAT\TEOFL websites) I don't think that you should be worried.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
WE:Supply Chain Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
FuzzyBuzzard wrote:
Laksh2013 wrote:

Thanks!

It can take a few days for it to be updated on the system. I think that my TOEFL score took 2-3 weeks top appear as approved.
As long as you've sent it in an official way (i.e. through the GMAT\TEOFL websites) I don't think that you should be worried.

Thank you!! Appreciate your response!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: Tuck '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
vomhorizon wrote:
MrMBA2016 wrote:
vineet404 wrote:
Hey guys, wondering if you can advise me.

I am from India and have done my Bachelors in Commerce (3 year course). Fuqua has asked me to complete a calculus course from an accredited college before July '15. Within the Indian system of education, can't think of a college that provides a standalone calculus course with transcripts. Can any of you help me with any information regarding such a course ? Do online courses suffice ? Any students out there who have to do the same ?

As far as I know, Wharton offers online courses free of charge on Coursera platform. They also grade the course at the end. You better check whether this is acceptable by Fuqua. Just my two cents!

I was admited with the same condition. Do send me the link on the wharton website please. I have UCLA extensions that has a class begining first week of January but that requires pre-requisites. I have dropped them an email to confirm whether they can be waived based on my masters degree and GMAT score. I'll look around some more, but your best bet would be an online course..

This also seems interesting..and you can enroll anytime (no start date or quarter)

https://www.online.uillinois.edu/catalog ... seID=15684

Strangely, I did not get this request from Duke, even though I also did a commerce course in India (without any calculus course).
I had mentioned in the application that I would be taking up an online course for it, but did not get any further word on it over call/email later.

Perhaps I missed it in my excitement over the phone call, and it will be mentioned in the admit packet (which I received today and is sitting at home :-D )
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Has anyone received any admission packet, or a tracking number for it?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 479
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
vomhorizon wrote:

I have. In India.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
FROM Fuqua Current Student Blogs: Week-in-Cities: An Integral Part of MBA Recruiting Process
One of the best pieces of advice I can give you to prepare for your MBA experience is to get used to acronyms. Apparently, MBA students are so busy that we don’t have time to speak in complete sentences and rely on acronyms and abbreviations to save us precious seconds in conversation. One such acronym is WIC. When I first heard that there would be WIC trips during fall break, I was confused. A Google search for clarification only added to the confusion. So what is WIC?

Week-in-Cities: Consulting in Dallas
WIC stands for Week-in-Cities, which are mini trips organized by various student clubs to cities across the country during school breaks. Each Week-in-Cities trip has an industry focus, and students visit a handful of companies and firms that could potentially offer internship and/or full-time employment opportunities.

Fuqua MBA and MMS students at the McKinsey-hosted dinner in Dallas during Week-in-Cities.

Since I’m interested in consulting, I participated in the Dallas Consulting WIC trip during Fall Break (October 20-27). Like most excursions, mine was organized by 2 first-year students, who helped to arrange lodging, transportation, and most importantly, made sure that we had great companies to visit. Our group was on the smaller side, comprised of 19 full-time MBA first-year students, one MMS student, and one Cross Continent MBA student.

Like most students in our group, I flew into Dallas on Wednesday night. I spent the first few days of break relaxing with my family in Durham and catching up on some sleep. Most students flew in from other cities, after visiting family and friends in their hometowns, and others had attended other WIC trips earlier in the week. About half of the group was staying at the same hotel (with the rest staying with friends or family in the area), so those who arrived in time went out for dinner, explored the city, and got a good night’s sleep.

Day 1: PwC, Sightseeing & McKinsey
On Thursday morning, we all met outside of PricewaterhouseCoopers. We were given breakfast and then a presentation about the company, their Advisory (consulting) practice, and why Dallas is a great place to live and work. Following the presentation, there was time to network, ask questions of the employees who had volunteered to join us that morning, and then tour the office.

After visiting PwC, we had a few hours to explore the city. Some classmates spent the afternoon strolling around the Arts District, grabbing food, working on pre-term work for Fall Term 2 classes, or just relaxing. I had rented a car with another first-year student, so we made a little trip to a local BBQ place that was recommended by some Dallas locals, spent some time exploring uptown, and visited SMU’s campus, including the George W. Presidential Library and Museum. The museum had a life-size, fully furnished replica of the Oval Office circa President George W. Bush’s tenure, so it’s almost like we got to visit Washington, D.C., too.

That evening, we had dinner with consultants from McKinsey. The evening was fairly informal, giving us the chance to connect with consultants and partners from the Dallas office, most of whom had flown back to the city after being with their clients during the week. We learned more about the culture and expectations of the firm, and following dinner, we joined them for drinks at a nearby establishment, where we met more consultants and analysts.

Day 2: Bain, BCG & Accenture
The next morning, we visited Bain’s office, which was decked out in festive Halloween decorations for a family party, which was to be held later that evening. Since the life of a consultant typically includes traveling Monday through Thursday and being in the office on Friday, there were plenty of employees who we had the chance to meet following their formal presentation. We also received personalized office tours.

After Bain, we had a few hours to explore the city a little more. I joined a small group that visited Klyde Warren Park, where there were a plethora of trendy food trucks, a kids’ playground, and lots of magazines, newspapers, and board games that could be used for free.

We then went to BCG’s office, which was also decorated for a family Halloween party. Again, we were treated to a presentation about the company, office, and city over lunch, and then given the chance to tour the office and network with employees, many of whom were Fuqua alumni.

Our final visit of the day was to Accenture, which was located about 15 minutes from downtown Dallas, in nearby Irving. They invited many of their senior management to join us in a Happy Hour in their building, following a presentation about their company and an office tour. Accenture was the final corporate visit of the trip.

A few in our group had flights out that evening, while most stuck around until Saturday or Sunday. My roommate and I grabbed some more BBQ and then headed back to our hotel to watch BYU crush Boise State in football. Since I knew that things would pick up and become very busy again with the new term starting on the following Monday, I took the earliest flight I could on Saturday (6:30 am – ouch!), so I could enjoy most of the weekend with my wife and daughter.

Why WIC?
So now that I’ve gone beyond simply understanding what WIC stands for and actually went on a WIC trip, was it worth it? Definitely. For one, it gave me the chance to visit the offices of various firms that I’m recruiting for and get a better sense for what makes each one unique. Actually being in their buildings and talking with their employees helped me better understand their values and culture, and identify the firms that best align with my personal and career objectives.

In addition, we were able to network with and talk to far more people than we can during on-campus presentations. Since our group was small, we were able to get a lot more face-time with the people that we will (hopefully) be working closely with this summer and beyond.

Furthermore, excluding a previous flight overlay in Dallas-Fort Worth, I had never visited Dallas before. During the WIC trip, I was able to explore the city, the surrounding areas, meet local people, ask about places to live, and taste the local cuisine. Since many consulting firms recruit for specific offices, rather than at a national/corporate level, it’s important to know which city you want to recruit for and live and work in.

Lastly, I got to meet a lot of other first-year students who I hadn’t had the chance to get to know previously. Although we’re all hoping to land internships with these companies, being together and becoming better friends has helped us band together and help each other during the recruiting process. Since the trip, we’ve already discussed our thoughts on the companies, shared ideas to prepare for interviews, and were doing all we can to collectively succeed.

Week-in-Cities, in my opinion, was a great opportunity and definitely worth it. Although I am not attending a WIC trip during this winter break while many of my classmates are, I am glad I was able to participate in October. Now, when you join Team Fuqua, you’ll be able to avoid the embarrassment I had, and know exactly what’s going on when WIC is first announced.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
As I watch Duke vs. Eastern Michigan play basketball today, it's great to see so many Fuquans on tv as they cheer on the Blue Devils!

https://mobile.businessweek.com/articles ... es-campout

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V48
GPA: 3.1
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
vomhorizon wrote:

I haven't seen anything yet.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
bdepp wrote:
vomhorizon wrote:

I didn't get a tracking number, but it was a great unexpected surprise getting my package in the mail on Friday. (I'm US-based east coast, for reference).

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
bdepp wrote:
vomhorizon wrote:

Just received mine in the mail today..Unfortunately no scholorship :oops: :cry:
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  45   46   47   48   49  ...  82   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6957 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts