Last visit was: 03 Jun 2024, 14:45 It is currently 03 Jun 2024, 14:45
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1222 [28]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 31016 [6]
Given Kudos: 640
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [2]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1222 [3]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Re: Italian fashion house Prada, which has been among the most [#permalink]
Kudos
Shouldn't option C say " In 2007, Italian fashion house Prada, which is among the most highly regarded manufacturers of clothing and ..."
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 336 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
GMAT Date: 07-16-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Bookmarks
rajeevrks27 wrote:
Italian fashion house Prada, which has been among the most highly regarded clothing and accessory manufacturers, surprised many insiders in moving its sneaker production overseas to Vietnam in 2007.

A. Italian fashion house Prada, which has been among the most highly regarded clothing and accessory manufacturers, surprised
many insiders in moving its sneaker production overseas to Vietnam in 2007
in moving doesn't logically conveys the meaning. one thing(movement to Vietnam) is causing the other(surprising....), which can ideally be conveyed by using BY as used in option C

B. Prada, the Italian fashion house that is among the most highly regarded manufacturers of clothing and accessories, surprised
many insiders in 2007, moving its sneaker production overseas to Vietnam
moving its...... should have been preceded by BY to convey the correct meaning hence incorrect..though at first sight this one looked correct to me

C. In 2007, Italian fashion house Prada, among the most highly regarded manufacturers of clothing and accessories, surprised
many insiders by moving its sneaker production overseas to Vietnam
Correct

D. The Italian fashion house Prada, among the most highly regarded clothing and accessory manufacturers in 2007, was a
surprise to many insiders when it moved its sneaker production overseas to Vietnam
The fashion house was not a surprise, rather the act of moving to vietnam was a surprise...shift in meaning..INCORRECT

E. In 2007, surprising many insiders by moving its sneaker production overseas to Vietnam, the Italian fashion house Prada
was one of the most highly regarded clothing and accessory manufacturers
The actual sentence uses has been, thus conveying that even till today the fashion house is one of the most highly regarded....however this sentence uses was ( simple past) which means that it is no longer highly decorated thus INCORRECT

First of all Kudos for your detail explaination.

I have one basic question about option C. The sentence in option C starts with in 2007, which changes meaning from the original sentence.

Original sentence provides a general fact that Italian fashion house Prada has been among the most highly regarded clothing and accessories manufacturers. However,

Option C implies that In 2007, prada is among the highly regarded clothing and accessories manufacturer. (not before 2007 and not after 2007)

Isn’t C wrong because it changes the intended meaning of the sentence?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5281 [0]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Hi Experts,

Request you to please clear my doubt:

"the Italian fashion house that is among the most highly regarded manufacturers of clothing and accessories"

Explanation Says that:

The modifier “the Italian fashion house that is…” suggests that Prada is the only Italian fashion house among those highly regarded manufacturers; in context, there is no reason to believe that this is the case.

Can anyone tell me how can we reason that Prada is the ONLY Italian Fashion House.

Your help will be appreciated.

Thanks
H
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28712 [2]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
imhimanshu wrote:
Hi Experts,

Request you to please clear my doubt:
"the Italian fashion house that is among the most highly regarded manufacturers of clothing and accessories"

Explanation Says that:
The modifier “the Italian fashion house that is…” suggests that Prada is the only Italian fashion house among those highly regarded manufacturers; in context, there is no reason to believe that this is the case.

Can anyone tell me how can we reason that Prada is the ONLY Italian Fashion House. Your help will be appreciated.
Thanks
H

Dear imhimanshu,
This gets into the subtle issue of vital vs. non-vital modifiers. See:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/that-vs-which-on-the-gmat/
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-gramm ... modifiers/

I don't disagree with what the explanation said, but I don't know that I would say what's wrong with this sentence the same way that the explanation phrased it. Think about the way (B) opens:

Prada, the Italian fashion house that is among the most highly regarded manufacturers of clothing and accessories, ....

The appositive phrase "Italian fashion house" is separated by a comma, so it's a non-vital modifier. In other words, we are saying, the name "Prada" is already recognizable, and the words "Italian fashion house" merely add explanation --- they are not necessarily to provide identification. But then, we get a "that" clause, with no comma ---- so we are saying "Prada" doesn't need identification, but when we call it a "Italian fashion house", that needs essentially identification? There's an awkward logical inconsistency in that phrasing.

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 887 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V27
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
egmat wrote:
nishtil wrote:
I have one basic question about option C. The sentence in option C starts with in 2007, which changes meaning from the original sentence.

Original sentence provides a general fact that Italian fashion house Prada has been among the most highly regarded clothing and accessories manufacturers. However,

Option C implies that In 2007, prada is among the highly regarded clothing and accessories manufacturer. (not before 2007 and not after 2007)

This is the correct answer choice C:

In 2007, Italian fashion house Prada, among the most highly regarded manufacturers of clothing and accessories, surprised many insiders by moving its sneaker production overseas to Vietnam.

Notice the structure of this sentence. The phrase “among …accessories” is written between two commas, meaning that this information is not essential for the meaning of the sentence. This modifier is just providing additional information about “Prada”. Even if we remove this phrase from the sentence, the meaning will not be affected.

“In 2007” refers to the verb “surprised”, suggesting that Prada surprised insiders by doing something. It is not referring to Prada being regarded as a high brand. Hence, there is no change in meaning as such.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Thanks for the explanation, but I still have two question. Pls. help.
1. "among....accessories" - what kind of modifier is it?
2. Could it modify the clause "prada surprised"?

Thanks in advance
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28712 [3]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dmitriy wrote:
Thanks for the explanation, but I still have two question. Pls. help.
1. "among....accessories" - what kind of modifier is it?
2. Could it modify the clause "prada surprised"?
Thanks in advance

Dear Dmitriy,
I'm happy to help!

Here's version (C)
In 2007, Italian fashion house Prada, among the most highly regarded manufacturers of clothing and accessories, surprised
many insiders by moving its sneaker production overseas to Vietnam.

The word "among" is a preposition, so what we have here is a prepositional phrase. Prepositional phrase have the core structure
[preposition][noun]
where the noun is called the object of the preposition. That object can be modified by noun modifiers. Here, we have
among = preposition
the most highly regarded = modifiers, modifying the object of the preposition
manufacturers = the object of the preposition
of clothing and accessories = a second prepositional phrase, also modifying the object of the first preposition.

Now, what does this whole thing, "among ... accessories", modify? Prepositional phrases are flexible, and can play one of two roles
(a) adjectival phrase --- like an adjective, they modify a noun
(b) adverbial phrase --- like an adverb, they modify a verb, an action, or an adjective or another adverb
See:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-gramm ... d-clauses/
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-gramm ... d-clauses/

Here, the prepositional phrase modifier does not modify the action "surprised" --- it does not describe how or when or why Prada performed the action of surprising. Rather, it describes the noun --- it gives us background information about the noun "Prada", and so in this sentence, the prepositional phrase is playing the role of an adjectival phrase.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 595 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 590 Q40 V30
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
WE:Project Management (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
egmat wrote:
nishtil wrote:

This is the correct answer choice C:

In 2007, Italian fashion house Prada, among the most highly regarded manufacturers of clothing and accessories, surprised many insiders by moving its sneaker production overseas to Vietnam.

Notice the structure of this sentence. The phrase “among …accessories” is written between two commas, meaning that this information is not essential for the meaning of the sentence. This modifier is just providing additional information about “Prada”. Even if we remove this phrase from the sentence, the meaning will not be affected.

“In 2007” refers to the verb “surprised”, suggesting that Prada surprised insiders by doing something. It is not referring to Prada being regarded as a high brand. Hence, there is no change in meaning as such.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi Shraddha,

I fell for B only because that "prep + ing (by moving)" form deceived me. I learned that "prep + ing" is wrong, what is the correct policy?

thanks in advance
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 31016 [1]
Given Kudos: 640
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM