Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 16:25 It is currently 03 May 2024, 16:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Stacy Blackman Consulting Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Re: Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: USC Marshall School to Offer Degree in Social Entrepreneurship
The USC Marshall School of Business has announced a new Master of Science in Social Entrepreneurship (MSSE) offered through the Brittingham Social Enterprise Lab, further expanding the opportunities for students interested in careers with social impact.

Previously known as the Society and Business Lab and recently named with a gift from the Brittingham Family Foundation, the Brittingham Social Enterprise Lab was developed to study and teach about social entrepreneurship — the creation of a new kind of hybrid business model for organizations that balances a revenue mission with an equally important social, environmental or health mission.

Traditionally, students looking to make a social impact in such areas as health, poverty alleviation, environment, education, and government pursued advance degrees in public policy and social work.

The Master of Science in Social Entrepreneurship gives students the opportunity to learn business and entrepreneurship skills within a framework of achieving a social mission. The MSSE requires 26 units and can be completed in one year (full-time) or two or more years (part-time).

All courses are held in the evening and weekends and focus entirely on the business aspects of social entrepreneurship. Requirements include: Cases in New Venture Management, Cases in Feasibility Analysis, Investing in Impact Ventures, and Marketing Management. Students can choose from electives such as Environmental Sustainability and Competitive Advantage or Designing High Performance Organizations.

The program also includes a for-credit practical capstone project in which students will develop a business plan for a new social enterprise.

“The mission of the Lab always has been ambitious, supporting the next generation of leaders looking to devote their careers to finding and implementing innovative solutions to global challenges related to poverty, homelessness, education and health care.  We are providing students across USC with practical business tools to make a difference in these areas,” says Adlai Wertman, founding director of the Brittingham Social Enterprise Lab and a professor with joint appointments at USC Marshall and USC’s Rossier School of Education.

“The new Master of Science in Social Entrepreneurship will further our goals by offering advanced study in business, entrepreneurship and social impact — the nuanced knowledge that students need to create, grow and manage successful social enterprises.”

James G. Ellis, dean of the Marshall School of Business, says the new degree comes in response to growing demand from students who want to make an impact in business and society, explaining that “This program has the potential to transform the field by uniquely preparing aspiring social entrepreneurs.”

For more information, please visit: New Master of Science in Social Entrepreneurship

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Alumni Donate $5M for New Construction at UT McCombs

Bob and Marcie Zlotnik, founders of Houston energy company StarTex Power and alumni of The University of Texas at Austin, have pledged $5 million toward construction of the new graduate education building at McCombs School of Business, the school announced Tuesday.

In recognition of the gift, the ballroom in Robert B. Rowling Hall will be named the Zlotnik Family Ballroom. By connecting to the neighboring AT&T Executive Education and Conference Center, the graduate business program and the conference center will have the capacity to host large-scale conferences and events as Austin continues to grow.

“Rowling Hall is going to make this university an even stronger, more vibrant place to learn,” says Bob Zlotnik. “We have waited for the opportunity to align our family with this project, which will provide a direct link between students, faculty members and business leaders.”

The school is in the midst of a campaign to raise $58 million in donations by early March, and the $5 million Zlotnik gift is a significant achievement in that endeavor. A gift of $25 million from Dallas businessman Robert B. Rowling and his wife, Terry Hennersdorf Rowling, also University of Texas alumni, launched the campaign to fund the construction of the new graduate business building.

“Fundraising for this ambitious project has reached the next level as people continue to come forward with generous gifts to support the plans for Rowling Hall,” says McCombs School of Business Dean Thomas W. Gilligan. “We look forward to the weeks ahead as more gifts are announced.”

The Zlotniks have two sons currently enrolled in the business school, and have previously donated $1 million to the McCombs School to establish a chair in entrepreneurship.

The decision to target $5 million for the ballroom at Rowling Hall was made as a family, the couple explains. “Teaching all our boys about giving back and getting involved is paramount to their success as future leaders,” says Marcie Zlotnik.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Harvard Celebrates Record-Making Gift

Big news came out of Harvard College yesterday, when it announced it has received the largest single gift in the school’s history with the donation of $150 million from hedge fund manager Kenneth C. Griffin, ’89.

The gift will fund 200 new Griffin scholarships and create a fund to match other donations in support of 600 additional scholarships. In addition, $10 million of the gift will fund a new professorship at Harvard Business School, where, according to the New York Times, Griffin spent hundreds of hours poring over finance books in the pre-Internet era.

“It sets a marvelous standard of generosity and also a standard for financial aid giving,” says University President Drew G. Faust. “[The gift] is structured in part as a challenge…in order to try to involve other people in contributing to financial aid, and I hope that it also sends a message to alums about how…important it is to make sure that Harvard is available to students from every kind of economic background.”

For more on this story, see the coverage in The Harvard Crimson.

You may also be interested in:

HBS Alumni Break Record in 2013 with $22M in Donations

Send PM
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Stacy Blackman’s B-School Buzz

Hello, and welcome to the latest edition of Stacy Blackman’s B-School Buzz, our periodic check-in with some of the MBA blogosphere’s applicant and student contributors. In this edition, Buzz bloggers share waiting woes, a Round 1 reflection, and their musings on what to blog about now that the application journey has come to an end.

Why an MBA?—In this recent post, Amar, a self-proclaimed “low GMAT-er”  chronicling the ups and downs of his b-school application journey, shares his statement of purpose with readers. “Attitude is what determines one’s altitude,” he says.

Realigning expectations—After a lengthy absence, MBA Reapplicant is back with an update on some rather discouraging round one application results. While the disappointment is completely understandable, his realization that in the end, the experience of b-school is more important than the where, is such a good mental place to be in.

The worst kind of waiting—Although thankfully MBA My Way already has two acceptances in the bag, that doesn’t make her waiting for a final decision from Michigan Ross, Kellogg, or Yale SOM any less excruciating. Her only solace at this point, she says, is that everything should be settled by mid-March.

The labyrinth revealed—During Admitted Student Weekend at Harvard Business School, Timbob made a delightful discovery: an underground network of tunnels allows students to move from dorms, lecture halls, cafeterias and more without ever setting foot outside in sub-zero temperatures. Read his ASW recap for all the details.

Writer’s blockhammO shares how he’s now experiencing a scenario that many successful MBA applicants go through once they’ve been accepted at their school of choice: what to blog about now? “Before, it was so easy to learn about what the next steps were, and share my experiences as I hit each step,” he explains.

Journey complete—Our congratulations go out to Buzz blogger Domotron, who recently shared his ecstatic news of acceptance at Dartmouth’s Tuck School of Business.  When things settle down, he promises a series of posts about the app process which many prove useful to future applicants.

Do you have an MBA-centric blog? Want it featured in an upcoming B-School Buzz post? If so, email me at buzz@StacyBlackman.com.

Send PM
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: 3 Ways to Recover a Fumbled MBA Interview
This post originally appeared on Stacy’s “Strictly Business” MBA Blog on U.S.News.com
Many students are coming upon the interview period for the second round of business school admissions, and many applicants experience considerable angst about this component of the business school application process. There are a few things to keep in mind about MBA interviews that may put your mind at ease, but there are also some tips that can help you get on track if you stray off course.

It’s important to know that a business school interview isn’t like a job interview. In a job interview, your application has merely gotten your foot in the door, and the interview is your chance to dazzle the potential employer and show that you stand head and shoulders above all other candidates.

[Learn how to sell yourself during the MBA admissions process.]

An MBA interview is simply one component of your application package, and the goal is to present yourself with confidence, enthusiasm and intelligence. You’ve already impressed the school with your qualifications, scores and essays. Think of the interview not as a test with a pass or fail score, but rather as a tool used by the admissions committee to make sure you really are the person they think you are based on your application.

No matter how much you’ve prepared for the experience, you are only human. You may get nervous and you may mess up. Unfortunately, there is no “delete” button and no rough draft. But there are ways to recover and prevent the interview from spiraling into the disaster zone.

1. Acknowledge any mistakes: MBA candidates often try to memorize their responses to interview questions in advance, only to find themselves scrambling as they try to adapt to slightly different iterations of the anticipated questions. You won’t win anyone over based on how fast you answer their question, but the interviewer will hold it against you if your answer rambles or doesn’t make sense.

If you are unsatisfied with a response, you might say, “I think I haven’t expressed myself clearly. Could I try that again?”

Your ability to address that you got thrown and correct a mistake with grace will stick out in the interviewer’s mind more than the initial fumble.

2. Take time to relax and regroup: Out of nervousness, it’s common for applicants to continue barreling forward when trying to answer a question that could have been addressed in 30 seconds or less.

When in doubt, it’s OK to take a deep breath and regroup. Most interviewers will offer you something to drink, so take a sip of that water or coffee to provide a natural pause in the conversation.

Before launching into a story that may take you further afield, say, “Let me think about that.” Or if you’re really stumped, ask if you can come back to that subject at the end of the interview. Remember, maintaining poise is paramount.

3. Ask for clarification: Sometimes, an applicant will launch into an answer and halfway through realize that perhaps he or she misunderstood the question. Don’t be afraid to become very clear as to what your interviewer wants to learn more about.

You might ask, “Were you looking for me to answer from this perspective?” Pausing for further clarification shows that you have self-awareness – a highly valued trait – and buys you extra time to get back on track. And don’t be afraid to take a moment to ponder your reply. A well-thought-out answer is never a bad thing.

[Follow these three steps to stand out as a b-school applicant.]

Don’t spend too much time during the interview fretting over your mistakes, real or imagined, as this will only distract you and likely cause you to stumble in other moments as well. Interviewers often maintain an inscrutable demeanor, so don’t judge your interview performance based on their body language or verbal cues. And do not ask for feedback from your interviewer, which gives the impression that you lack both good judgment and confidence.

Take heart, because no single error in the interview process is likely to be a fatal one. If you get the sense that your interviewer enjoyed the conversation, he or she is likely to leave with a positive impression of you. But if you’re in doubt, just move on.

I’ve heard from so many clients convinced they bombed their MBA interview, only to learn weeks later that they were admitted to the school of their dreams. If you can get from point A to point B in a mostly clear, logical way; maintain a friendly and professional demeanor; dress appropriately; and have an inquisitive attitude about the program and all it has to offer, you stand a very good chance of coming out of the interview with flying colors.

Send PM
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Round 3 Myth-Busting by Harvard Business School
Applying to business school in the final round is a tricky proposition, primarily because your application needs to be exceptionally strong to garner one of those oh-so-limited remaining spots.

Harvard Business School Director of Admissions and Financial Aid Dee Leopold recently did some myth-busting related to submitting in Round 3, and here’s what she had to say:

1. There are spots available in the final round. Not as many as in Rounds 1 and 2, but keep in mind, there are also fewer applicants in the final round. “Do I think a strong candidate has a fair shot?,” Leopold asks. “Yes.”

2. From the first applicant accepted until the very last, each student has access to the same need-based financial aid.

3. If your Round 3 application is not successful, there’s absolutely no reason you shouldn’t apply again in Round 1 next fall. “Many people in our classroom today were successful re-applicants,” Leopold notes.

4. Round 3 is a great time for 2+2 applicants to apply, as college seniors will have another semester of grades and activities to highlight. “We can be more flexible about the number of 2+2 admits given that we are not worried about a ‘seat being occupied’ for this September,” she explains.

5. Lastly, while there is no Welcome Weekend for Round 3 admits, you will get a chance to see the campus in real time since all the interviews will be held on campus. HBS will be hosting other events on campus in the next few months, including an LGBT Open House, Prospective Students’ Diversity Day, and lunches for prospective women applicants with members of the Women’s Student Association.

Also, a word to future Round 1 applicants: Spring is a great time to plan a campus visit if you want to see the case method in action, as there’s limited availability for visiting a class in the early fall.

The Round 3 deadline at HBS is coming up on April 7th. Good luck to all who are applying!

Evaluate in Which Round to Submit Your B-School Application

Send PM
Round 2 Updates From Darden MBA Program [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Round 2 Updates From Darden MBA Program

Selected Round 2 applicants will continue to receive invitations to interview both on and off-campus, notes a recent update on the UV Darden School of Business MBA admissions blog.

In fact, those highly coveted invites will go out up until the decision release date, which is March 25th.

If you’re interested in scheduling a class visit—always a great idea—take note that no visits are available in March due to spring break and exam schedule. Full-time MBA class visits will start up again in April, with registration opening up in late March.

Admitted students can look forward to attending Darden Days on April 11-12, 2014, a weekend of events to show you what the Darden experience is all about, as well as opportunities to meet potential roommates. This event also includes a mock class taught by Darden faculty members.

As mentioned above, application status will be updated on March 25th, so hang in there and best of luck to Darden’s Round 2 hopefuls.

Upcoming MOOCs Offered by UV Darden School of Business

Send PM
Innovation at Carnegie Mellon Gets $10M Boost [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Innovation at Carnegie Mellon Gets $10M Boost

Entrepreneur James R. Swartz and his wife Susan have pledged a $10 million gift to Carnegie Mellon University to aid the university’s goals of enhancing the scope and impact of its innovation and entrepreneurship, the school announced Thursday.

Swartz, who graduated from the business school in 1966, is a venture capitalist and founding partner of Palo Alto-based Accel Partners. The gift will support CMU’s cutting-edge research, learning technologies and interdisciplinary collaboration.

This major donation builds upon the $67 million gift made in November from the charitable foundation of investor David A. Tepper (MBA’82). These gifts will be used for the construction of a 295,000 square-foot facility in the newly named Tepper Quadrangle  that will house the university’s Tepper School of Business, the Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship, The Simon Initiative and quality of life enhancements for the entire CMU community.

CMU President Subra Suresh noted that the contribution sets the stage for coordinated programs aimed at entrepreneurship and technology-enhanced learning for the business school and for the entire university.

“At Carnegie Mellon I learned to master management science, constructing business models to solve challenges that were completely new to the marketplace and unleashing the power of data for smarter business decisions,” Swartz said when announcing the news.

As a director of more than 50 successful companies in five decades as a venture capitalist, Swartz has been closely involved as a lead investor of numerous pioneering technology companies.

“Those lessons, and the skills that I developed as a result of them, have greatly benefited me throughout my entrepreneurial career.  I recognize the university’s new vision for the future of business education and entrepreneurship and I am pleased to contribute toward their efforts to the benefit of new technologies and future generations of students,” he added.

Tepper School to Expand FlexMBA Program

Carnegie Mellon Receives $67M Gift from David Tepper

Send PM
Slow Ripening Fruit [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Slow Ripening Fruit
Guest post from our friends at Magoosh test prep
Aristotle (384 – 322 BCE) wrote, “Wishing to be friends is quick work, but friendship is a slow ripening fruit.”  Of course, our fast-moving world doesn’t like to hear about things that take time, things that can’t be fast-forwarded with electronically interconnected efficiency, and patience sometimes runs particularly thin where ambitions run high.  Hence, the paradox of preparing for the GMAT.

You see, learning is also a “slow ripening fruit.”  It’s true that shallow memorization can be quick, and for some purposes, that’s enough, but the GMAT is far too rigorous and exhaustive to expect to achieve excellence with efficiency.

For example, some folks studying for the GMAT try to memorize a list of math formulas.  It’s true that knowing the formulas is better than not knowing them, but GMAT absolutely excels at writing out-of-the-box math questions that cannot be solved by the simple application of a formula.

The GMAT demands that you think and understand.   How does one prepare for this?  Certainly, a good start would be having the most current 2014 GMAT books and resources.  A mad dash through these resources, though, would not be the best way to use them.  The brain encodes deep memory with repeated exposure.

Furthermore, it’s important to vary context.  Many folks make the mistake of doing almost exclusively focused studying.  It’s not enough to understand what’s true about isosceles triangles only while you are reviewing everything in geometry, and, similarly, it isn’t helpful to practice all the geometry questions at once.

On the GMAT, question #14 may be about permutations or compound interest, and then when you press “submit answer”, BAM!  Question #15 about isosceles triangles will pop up out of the blue; right there and then, with no warm-up or context, you will need to understand them.  For the GMAT, you don’t understand something until you can recall it flawlessly, with full details, completely cold, with no warm-up at all.

A good GMAT study plan will take this into account.  By enforcing mixed practice, early and often, such a plan will present enough repeated exposures, in out-of-context appearances, to build deep understanding.  This non-linear path through the material may seem inefficient, but in the long run, it’s actually one of the fastest ways to encode the information into your brain.  A good GMAT study plan will also allow for three or six months of studying.  A single month involves a breakneck pace, and any time less than this is crazy.

Folks who have no idea how the brain works, assume that six weeks of ten hours a week, spread evenly through each week, is the same as three intense 20-hour weekend sessions.  The amount of time is the same, but the brain’s capacity to absorb and assimilate material is vastly different.

Finally, do you know when your brain does the important work of consolidating the memory of what you learn?  In REM sleep.  Human sleeps goes through cycles of about 90 minutes, with the REM period coming at the end of each cycle.  The REM periods get longer and longer on successive cycles, so in eight hours of sleep, the longest REM period is right before waking.

If you sleep only 6-7 hours in a night, you miss out on this particularly long REM period, thus compromising your ability to learn and remember.   Hence, the importance of adequate sleep while you are studying for the GMAT.

Getting a full eight hours of sleep is yet another casualty of postmodern post-industrial hyper-efficiency.  Caffeine and energy drinks will make you feel more awake, but they do absolutely zilch to replace the lost opportunity to encode memory.

If you want to excel on the GMAT, then be ready to dig in for the long haul when it comes to preparing.  There are few endeavors in life in which truly outstanding results emerge from a quick and efficient shortcut, and GMAT is no exception.

This post was written by Mike McGarry, resident GMAT expert at Magoosh. For more advice on taking the GMAT, check out Magoosh’s GMAT blog.

Send PM
Biz Ed ‘Oscars’ Celebrate Leading Case Writers [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Biz Ed ‘Oscars’ Celebrate Leading Case Writers
Film actors weren’t the only superstars lauded this week. The 2014 Case Centre Awards, an annual event known as the “Oscars” of business education, honored the professors who have written the most effective case studies.

The subjects highlighted through the winning cases give an insight into what is being taught in business school classrooms on a year-to-year basis.

IMD Professor Kamran Kashani and former IMD researcher Aimée DuBrule won The Case Centre’s Overall Award for 2014 with their case Value Selling at SKF Service (A): Tough Buyer Confronts Strategy.

Case-writing powerhouse  Harvard Business School received the most prizes in the individual categories: Professors V. Kasturi Rangan and Sunru Yong, and Thomas Steenburgh, Jill Avery and Naseem Dahod won in the economics and marketing categories.

This year, topical world and economic issues are strongly represented: challenges in recession (SKF- component manufacturer, and Coach – luxury goods), banking under pressure (Deutsche Bank), and the impact of political events (Vodafone/Egypt).

The importance of emerging markets is also examined in banking (Alpen), healthcare devices (GE Healthcare/India) and white goods (Galanz/China). Social media is represented (HubSpot), medical devices and the challenges faced by a woman in leadership (Aesch), and food in a French entrepreneurial context (Michel et Augustin).

Though US business schools—particularly Harvard Business School—dominate the market for case writing, European schools scooped most of the category awards, the Financial Times reports.

“This year’s case awards and competitions honour case writing and teaching expertise on a global scale,” says Richard McCracken, director of The Case Centre. “The Innovation in Case Teaching Award demonstrates how teaching expertise is being shared in Africa. We see how cases are able to respond fast to world events and get topical issues into the classroom.”

Nirmalya Kumar, marketing professor at London Business School, received the award for Outstanding Contribution to the Case Method.  His easyJet: The Web’s Favourite Airline (co-authored at IMD with Brian Rogers) is The Case Centre’s bestselling case of all time, used by 133 schools in 32 countries since it was first published in 2000.

“I am delighted to have received this recognition after many years of writing and teaching cases. In writing a case, I take both the instructor and student perspectives and ask how this case will lead to a transformation of beliefs on the part of the students,” Kumar says.

The Case Centre is an independent, not-for-profit organization dedicated to promoting the case method in business education. It also distributes the world’s largest collection of management case studies, articles and books on behalf of all the major business schools and internationally respected authors worldwide.

Follow the link for a complete list of the 2014 winners.

Send PM
Round 2 Updates from UCLA Anderson School [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Round 2 Updates from UCLA Anderson School

On Wednesday, the MBA admissions office at UCLA Anderson School of Management released another batch of early Round 2 decisions.

In an update to the MBA Insider’s Blog, admissions officer Jessica Chung shared a few updates for other anxious Round 2 applicants:

• One more batch of early decisions will likely go out before the final release date on April 2nd.
  • Nearly all interview invitations have gone out to both domestic and international applicants.
  • If you have already interviewed with UCLA Anderson but not yet received a final decision, this means your application is under evaluation by admissions.
  • Waitlisted Round 1 candidates are also reviewed periodically during this time.
Stay tuned for more updates from Anderson as they become available.

Waitlist Guidelines from Chicago Booth, UCLA Anderson

Thoughts on the UCLA Anderson Interview

Send PM
Round 2 Updates from U. Michigan Ross [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Round 2 Updates from U. Michigan Ross

The finish line is almost in sight, MBA admissions director Soojin Kwon of the University of Michigan Ross School of Business assures antsy Round 2 applicants.

Last week, Kwon moderated a Forte Foundation admissions panel for women planning to go to business school next year, and the director notes that last Friday was the first in the month without a team exercise happening on campus. As she’s emphasized in previous posts, team exercise participants continue to affirm that no advance preparation is needed.

Associate Directors will make their recommendations to Kwon by tomorrow, and she will pass her own along to the Senior Associate Dean. Admitted students in the U.S. will begin receiving congratulatory calls next week on March 12th, and international candidates the following day.

All Round 2 applicants will be able to access their decisions online on March 14, Kwon explains, adding that Ross will be hosting admitted student events from March 16th – 30th.

Good luck to all applicants waiting anxiously for news!

MBA Interview Myth-Busting from U. Michigan Ross

Send PM
INSEAD Deadlines for January 2015 Intake [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: INSEAD Deadlines for January 2015 Intake
The INSEAD MBA program has posted the deadlines  for the January 2015 intake.

Round 1
Deadline: March 21, 2014

Interview Notification: April 25, 2014

Final Decision Notification: June 6, 2014

Round 2
Deadline: May 28, 2014

Interview Notification: June 27, 2014

Final Decision Notification: August 8, 2014

Round 3
Deadline: July 25, 2014

Interview Notification: September 5, 2014

Final Decision Notification: October 10, 2014

INSEAD strongly encourages applicants to apply a couple of days prior to the application deadline if possible to avoid the peak period. Competition for each round is relatively equal regardless of the intake or round you apply for.

Applications must be submitted by 11:59PM Central European Time on the day of the deadline. Visit INSEAD’s admissions website for more information.

Send PM
Economist Ranks MBA Programs for Networking Potential [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Economist Ranks MBA Programs for Networking Potential
One metric of the Economist‘s annual ranking of business schools is the potential to network, which is arguably the most valuable aspect of the MBA experience.

This sub-ranking aggregates, with equal weights, scores for: ratio of alumni to current students; number of countries (other than home country) in which a school has active alumni chapters; and student rating of extent/helpfulness of alumni network.

According to these metrics, the top ten includes a mixture of well-known and less prominent schools. For example, Economist places HEC Paris at the top of the list because it benefits from a large population of alumni relative to the size of its student intake, and it also has one of the most extensive networks of overseas alumni chapters.

American schools don’t place as well on this list because they usually have fewer international students, translating into fewer alumni working abroad after graduation.

Top ten business schools, ranked by “potential to network”
  • HEC Paris
  • Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School
  • Thunderbird School of Global Management
  • NYU Stern School of Business
  • UC Berkeley Haas School of Business
  • University of Notre Dame’s Mendoza College of Business
  • Warwick Business School
  • USC Marshall School of Business
  • Melbourne Business School
  • UV Darden School of Business
However, when the students themselves rank the effectiveness of alumni networks, more familiar names come out on top. This could be a case of “confirmation bias,” Economist editors concede, since students may be justifying the cost of an MBA at an elite school by reassuring themselves of its benefit to their careers.

Top 10 schools, extent/helpfulness of alumni network, as ranked by students
  • Dartmouth’s Tuck School of Business
  • Stanford Graduate School of Business
  • Notre Dame’s Mendoza College of Business
  • University of Virginia’s Darden School of Business
  • Cornell’s Johnson School of Management
  • University of Michigan Ross School of Business
  • UNC Kenan-Flagler Business School
  • Harvard Business School
  • IMD
Your alumni network helps you stay connected to the university and to countless professional opportunities beyond graduation. While the quality of the education at the most elite programs is guaranteed across the board, when you’re spending two years of your life and paying more than $100K, keep in mind the network of contacts you build during your MBA experience truly is priceless.

Send PM
Economist Ranks MBA Programs for Networking Potential [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Economist Ranks MBA Programs for Networking Potential
One metric of the Economist‘s annual ranking of business schools is the potential to network, which is arguably the most valuable aspect of the MBA experience.

This sub-ranking aggregates, with equal weights, scores for: ratio of alumni to current students; number of countries (other than home country) in which a school has active alumni chapters; and student rating of extent/helpfulness of alumni network.

According to these metrics, the top ten includes a mixture of well-known and less prominent schools. For example, Economist places HEC Paris at the top of the list because it benefits from a large population of alumni relative to the size of its student intake, and it also has one of the most extensive networks of overseas alumni chapters.

American schools don’t place as well on this list because they usually have fewer international students, translating into fewer alumni working abroad after graduation.

Top ten business schools, ranked by “potential to network”
  • HEC Paris
  • Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School
  • Thunderbird School of Global Management
  • NYU Stern School of Business
  • UC Berkeley Haas School of Business
  • University of Notre Dame’s Mendoza College of Business
  • Warwick Business School
  • Melbourne Business School
  • UV Darden School of Business
However, when the students themselves rank the effectiveness of alumni networks, more familiar names come out on top. This could be a case of “confirmation bias,” Economist editors concede, since students may be justifying the cost of an MBA at an elite school by reassuring themselves of its benefit to their careers.

Top 10 schools, extent/helpfulness of alumni network, as ranked by students
  • Dartmouth’s Tuck School of Business
  • Stanford Graduate School of Business
  • Notre Dame’s Mendoza College of Business
  • University of Virginia’s Darden School of Business
  • Cornell’s Johnson School of Management
  • University of Michigan Ross School of Business
  • UNC Kenan-Flagler Business School
  • Harvard Business School
  • IMD
Your alumni network helps you stay connected to the university and to countless professional opportunities beyond graduation. While the quality of the education at the most elite programs is guaranteed across the board, when you’re spending two years of your life and paying more than $100K, keep in mind the network of contacts you build during your MBA experience truly is priceless.

Send PM
What’s New at U. Michigan Ross School of Business [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: What’s New at U. Michigan Ross School of Business

Not even the Polar Vortex can hamper student and applicant excitement about the innovations happening at Michigan Ross School of Business.This week, Ross MBA students fan out across the globe for a transformative experience in action-based learning.

For the next seven weeks, participants tackle real-world business challenges through the Michigan Ross MAP program, a hallmark of the school’s MBA degree and one of the most extensive and intensive hands-on learning programs of its kind.

Alison Davis-Blake, dean of the Ross School, says this real-world experience gives MBA students a head start in both the job market and their careers.

The MAP program connects 450 first-year students working on 89 projects with 81 different companies and organizations regionally, nationally, and in 24 different countries. This year’s projects include developing market entry strategies in Central America and the Caribbean; developing digital banking services in India; and launching a new pharmaceutical product in Europe.

“MAP stretches and challenges students,” adds Valerie Suslow, senior associate dean for MBA programs at Michigan Ross. “It provides them with a potent learning experience which incorporates diverse group dynamics, cultural awareness, and self-leadership – all while staying on task to provide actionable recommendations for companies and organizations.”

In February, the Ross School opened the call for submissions for the first annual Positive Business Project, a contest that aims to identify, profile and showcase exceptional business leaders that make a positive difference in their work.

Submissions for the contest are in the form of an original two-to-three minute amateur video highlighting positive business practices in the workplace. The video can focus on an individual or the company as a whole, and multiple individuals from the same company can submit entries.

“Business can be an extraordinary vehicle for positive change in today’s dynamic global economy,” says Wally Hopp, senior associate dean for faculty and research at Ross. “The Positive Business Project will shine a spotlight on some of the very best examples of this and inspire others to bring similar strategies to bear in their own organizations.”

The project is part of the first annual Positive Business Conference, taking place May 15-17, 2014 on the Ross School campus in Ann Arbor, Mich. Finalists will be showcased at the event, where a grand prize winner will be named.

Finally, the University of Michigan regents met last month to consider a $135 million plan for the business school. The project would include a new academic building and major renovations to the Ross School of Business library.

Business school namesake and alumnus Stephen M. Ross made a $200 million donation to the university in September, a part of which was earmarked for business school facilities upgrades.

$100M Gift for Michigan Ross School

Round 2 Updates from U. Michigan Ross

MBA Interview Myth-Busting from U. Michigan Ross

Send PM
3-Way Tie in US News Best B-School Rankings [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: 3-Way Tie in US News Best B-School Rankings
There was little movement and few surprises among the elite programs in the U.S. News ranking of the top business schools, announced today. Harvard Business School, Stanford Graduate School of Business, and the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School share the number-one spot in the 2015 rankings.

Harvard and Stanford’s first-place tie remained the same as last year’s standings. This was the highest rank ever achieved by Wharton in the U.S. News survey; last year Wharton finished third.

Chicago Booth School of Business ranks No. 4, moving up two places over the previous year, MIT Sloan School of Management takes fifth place, while Northwestern’s Kellogg School of Management fell two spots to No. 6 in the 2015 standings, according to the report.

The top ten is rounded out by UC Berkeley Haas School of Business, Columbia Business School, Dartmouth’s Tuck School of Business, and, No. 10, NYU Stern School of Business.

11. Michigan Ross School of Business

12. UV Darden School of Business

13. Yale School of Management

14. Duke’s Fuqua School of Business

15. UT McCombs School of Business

16. UCLA Anderson School of Management

17. Cornell’s Johnson School

18. CMU Tepper School of Business

19. UNC Kenan-Flagler Business School

20. Emory University’s Goizueta Business School

The U.S. News rankings are based on a weighted average of several indicators, including overall program quality, peer assessments, recruiter assessments, placement success, starting salary and bonus, average GMAT/GRE score, undergraduate GPA and more.

To compile this year’s rankings, all 453 master’s programs accredited by AACSB International were surveyed in fall 2013 and early 2014. A total of 385 responded, of which 127 provided enough of the data needed to calculate the full-time MBA rankings.

GMAT Club Bot
3-Way Tie in US News Best B-School Rankings [#permalink]
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  136