Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 00:43 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 00:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE:Sales (Other)
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10019 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: HBS '18 (M$)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: HBS '17 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Transportation)
Send PM
Re: Calling Haas(Berkeley) Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]
Has anyone seen what the recommendation letter question prompts are for Haas? If they are different from the other schools I am applying to I might use different people to reduce the burden.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: Full-time MBA Application Countdown Challenge - Week 3
The Berkeley MBA Application Countdown Challenge continues into week 3!   

What is it?  We have outlined a suggested timeline for completing different elements of the application.  Each week we will reward you for completion of those elements.  You could win an exclusive opportunity to chat with the Executive Director of Admissions or a leather Haas pad folio.  Week 3 of our challenge encourages you to complete the Employment section of the application for a chance to win!

Enter the Application Countdown Challenge for Week 3!  Once you have completed the Employment section of the application, provide the required information in the below form.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: How to Choose a Berkeley MBA Program
Berkeley-Haas has three MBA programs: Full-time, Evening & Weekend, and MBA for Executives.

All three share the same emphasis on innovative leadership, a world-renowned faculty, and a culture embodied by students who Question the Status Quo and have Confidence Without Attitude.

All three confer a degree that opens doors around the world.

So, how do you choose? If you decide you’d like to continue working while you earn an MBA, you still have a little work to do, comparing our two part-time programs. Or, we could do it for you:

Compare & Contrast: Part-Time MBA Programs at Berkeley-Haas

Evening & Weekend MBA

MBA for Executives

250, with cohorts of around 60 for the first 3 semesters

Class Size

Median student age:  31

Student Age

Median student age: 36

A median of 7 years in the workforce

Seasoned Professionals(Just how well seasoned?)

Typically a median of 13 years professional experience

85% of students live and work in the Bay Area; 15% in SoCal and elsewhere along the West Coast.

Friends from Near and Far

29% of students live and work outside of the Bay Area, with some traveling as far as from the East Coast and China.

You choose: Evenings: M/W or T/TH, 6 to 9:30 pm or Weekends: SAT, 9 am to 6 pm.

I'd Fit this in When Exactly? 

Classes are generally in 3-day blocks (TH-SAT), every 3 weeks.

On campus at Berkeley-Haas weekday evenings; alternating between Haas and our Silicon Valley campus on Saturdays.

Name the Place

On campus at Berkeley-Haas, just a short hop from the hotel where you’ll stay with your classmates.

3 years of non-stop mind expansion

Duration

19 months of drinking knowledge from a fire hose

When was the last time you took over an entire pizza joint with several dozen friends? That’s the kind of after-class socializing that creates lifelong bonds.

Living Social

Happy hour by the Claremont Hotel pool; Mission District dinners after block; lively Facebook interaction in between. Get ready to redefine “friend.”

Expand your global horizons and your professional reach. Test your wings in the Seminar in International Business and the International Business Development courses.  Both put you on the ground for 1 to 2 weeks in all corners of the world.

Go Global

Get an MBA and go globe-trotting. The program includes Immersion Weeks in Silicon Valley and Washington, DC, and Shanghai.

Hear from global leaders during our Dean's Speakers Series: New York Times Senior Editor Adam Bryant, Former Citigroup Chair Sandy Weill, and former Procter & Gamble India CEO Gurcharan Das.

Get Access

Connect with founders, CEOs, and policymakers. During Silicon Valley Immersion week, students met with 35+ founders and leaders, including Facebook CIO Tim Campos and Adobe CEO Shantanu Narayen. In DC, they met with Fed Chair Janet Yellen and other policy makers.

Introduce your spouse, partner, and kids to your classmates at BBQs, tailgate parties, and picnics.

Bring the Family

Spousa-Palooza brings your family to campus to sit in your chair, tour Berkeley, and get to know your classmates.

Learn to analyze and leverage your existing connections, while fostering relationships that go far beyond being “linked.”

Get Networked

Your close-knit group of classmates blossoms into a network that reaches far beyond any one person’s, well, reach.

Dedicated career adviser

Complimentary shuttle service—with WiFi, of course—for students traveling from the South Bay and the Peninsula on weekday evenings

Courses videotaped for online viewing—just in case you need to miss a class

School Supplies

Hassle-free hotel reservations (we do it for you)

Dedicated career advising, with seminars and appointments at your hotel

THE VERDICT: Only you can decide which program is the best fit for you, but our Admissions Office would be happy to help guide you. 

We invite you to learn more about our Evening & Weekend Berkeley MBAand our Berkeley MBA for Executives Programs.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: Full-time MBA Application Countdown Challenge - Week 4
The Berkeley MBA Application Countdown Challenge is in it's fourth week!  Plus, updates on prizes for our winners to date. 

This Wednesday, September 10, winners from weeks 1, 2 and 3 will be treated to an exclusive webinar with Assistant Dean of Admissions and the Full-time MBA Program, Stephanie Fujii.  Stephanie will share some personal insights about the application process and then take questions from the audience.  Winners will be notified by email with webinar details.  We hope you can join us!

Countdown Challenge - Week 4

We're entering into the home stretch!  Congratulations if you stuck with us through this entire challenge.  You're just a few weeks away from completing your application - we hope you're as excited as we are!

Week 4 of our challenge encourages you to upload your resume or pay the application fee.  Follow the link below to participate.  Lucky winners will receive a Haas leather pad folio - perfect for storing your shiny new resume!

Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hello all,

We are 3 weeks away from the R1 deadline. I hope the essays are going well and the final polish starts soon!

All the best everyone!
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: Full-time MBA Application Countdown Challenge - Week 5
The Berkeley MBA Application Countdown Challenge is in it's fifth and final week!  

We're a few weeks away from our Round 1 application deadline and thus into our final week of the application countdown challenge.  Congratulations if you stuck with us through this entire challenge - you're in great shape for submitting your application on time!

Week 5 of our challenge encourages you to upload your essays or ensure receipt of your letters of recommendation.  Follow the link below to participate.  Lucky winners will receive a Haas leather pad folio - perfect for storing your shiny new resume!

Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: MBA Career Advancement: From Strategic Pricing to Sunpower Promotion

Iris Korovesi didn't necessarily expect a return on investment so early in her MBA studies.

But in her microeconomics course she discovered the true potential of the price tag. She credits this knowledge with helping her quickly advance at Sunpower—to global sales operations—during her second semester in the Evening & Weekend Berkeley MBA Program.

Korovesi, MBA 16, previously worked as a sales analyst for the solar panel manufacturer, running financial models to estimate the economic value of solar energy and to yield the highest benefit for the customer. 

Now, she’s in charge of using the power of pricing to give Sunpower its global edge. “I gather competitive and market intelligence to look at our pricing strategy for all products, markets, and regions,” Korovesi says.

“The fact that I was watching for this kind of opportunity and that I found this job so interesting is almost completely due to my MBA studies,” she adds.

Ready to Move on...or up

Korovesi had been in her analyst position for about two years and was ready to move on or move up. She knew she could become a sales executive, but wanted to do something more strategic and more global. “I wanted overall exposure to our business and to other markets,” she says.

“A few months earlier I might have skipped right past this posting because I hadn’t realized the catalytic role pricing is playing in business strategy and brand positioning. It was at Haas that I learned how powerful value-based pricing can be for a company’s bottom line.”    

She began learning this in her first semester at Berkeley-Haas. “Microeconomics with Greg LaBlanc was one of my favorite first-year classes,” she says. “We did a lot around the pricing strategy of products, and I really saw how important that could be. I was excited to see the exploration of pricing continue in the Marketing course as well, picking up additional tools such as the conjoint analysis, used with the Intel Inside case, that enables companies to quantify the main value drivers of a product.”

Using Classroom Learning at Work--Immediately

She says her studies, and the network that came with the program, made her an even stronger candidate for this new role at Sunpower. “The hiring manager was a Haas alum and he knew I’d be able to immediately deliver what I was learning in class at work--and that I could also use what I was learning to shape this new position.”

“Just last month for example, I developed a model that helps us quantify certain product attributes our customers appreciate, coming up with the price premium we can justify in the market.”

This semester, Korovesi is looking forward to taking the Strategic Pricing elective taught by Haas Marketing Professor Teck Ho. She expects that the course will teach her the tools, analytical frameworks, processes, and policies that she will need to have in place to effectively identify pricing strategies that maximize profit for SunPower around the globe.

Strategic Understanding and Industry Visibility

“Everyone I have talked to says it is the best class they have taken at Haas,” she says. “My boss was also very excited that I would be able to attend Teck Ho’s class and he counts on the knowledge I will be able to transfer to SunPower”.  

Prior to joining Sunpower, Korovesi worked for an investment firm. Excitement about clean tech and renewable energy prompted her to move on. “It’s a cutting-edge industry that is radically changing the way we live,” says Korovesi, who wanted the chance to work in a less established, emerging sector.

“Ultimately, I want to advance to a more executive role. This position gives me a more strategic understanding of our industry and gives me more visibility with senior people at Sunpower and within the solar market as a whole.”

Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: MBA Career Advancement: From Strategic Pricing to SunPower Promotion

Iris Korovesi didn't necessarily expect a return on investment so early in her MBA studies.

But in her microeconomics course she discovered the true potential of the price tag. She credits this knowledge with helping her quickly advance at SunPower—to global sales operations—during her second semester in the Evening & Weekend Berkeley MBA Program.

Korovesi, MBA 16, previously worked as a sales analyst for the solar panel manufacturer, running financial models to estimate the economic value of solar energy and to yield the highest benefit for the customer. 

Now, she’s in charge of using the power of pricing to give SunPower its global edge. “I gather competitive and market intelligence to look at our pricing strategy for all products, markets, and regions,” Korovesi says.

“The fact that I was watching for this kind of opportunity and that I found this job so interesting is almost completely due to my MBA studies,” she adds.

Ready to Move on...or up

Korovesi had been in her analyst position for about two years and was ready to move on or move up. She knew she could become a sales executive, but wanted to do something more strategic and more global. “I wanted overall exposure to our business and to other markets,” she says.

“A few months earlier I might have skipped right past this posting because I hadn’t realized the catalytic role pricing is playing in business strategy and brand positioning. It was at Haas that I learned how powerful value-based pricing can be for a company’s bottom line.”    

She began learning this in her first semester at Berkeley-Haas. “Microeconomics with Greg LaBlanc was one of my favorite first-year classes,” she says. “We did a lot around the pricing strategy of products, and I really saw how important that could be. I was excited to see the exploration of pricing continue in the Marketing course as well, picking up additional tools such as the conjoint analysis, used with the Intel Inside case, that enables companies to quantify the main value drivers of a product.”

Using Classroom Learning at Work--Immediately

She says her studies, and the network that came with the program, made her an even stronger candidate for this new role at SunPower. “The hiring manager was a Haas alum and he knew I’d be able to immediately deliver what I was learning in class at work--and that I could also use what I was learning to shape this new position.”

“Just last month for example, I developed a model that helps us quantify certain product attributes our customers appreciate, coming up with the price premium we can justify in the market.”

This semester, Korovesi is looking forward to taking the Strategic Pricing elective taught by Haas Marketing Professor Teck Ho. She expects that the course will teach her the tools, analytical frameworks, processes, and policies that she will need to have in place to effectively identify pricing strategies that maximize profit for SunPower around the globe.

Strategic Understanding and Industry Visibility

“Everyone I have talked to says it is the best class they have taken at Haas,” she says. “My boss was also very excited that I would be able to attend Teck Ho’s class and he counts on the knowledge I will be able to transfer to SunPower”.  

Prior to joining SunPower, Korovesi worked for an investment firm. Excitement about clean tech and renewable energy prompted her to move on. “It’s a cutting-edge industry that is radically changing the way we live,” says Korovesi, who wanted the chance to work in a less established, emerging sector.

“Ultimately, I want to advance to a more executive role. This position gives me a more strategic understanding of our industry and gives me more visibility with senior people at SunPower and within the solar market as a whole.”

Retired Moderator
Send PM
Dot those i's and cross those t's. You're a week away from the deadline!!

If you haven't already, now is the time to pester your recommenders to submit those recommendations and give your essays that final polish.

All the very best!!
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Two days to the deadline!!
I hope you guys have submitted your application.
In case you haven't, its time to work that last minute magic!!

All the best guys!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
All essays are done. I'll have a last review and polish tomorrow but its time to give the recommenders a(nother) gentle nudge.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V39
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Just submitted my application! Re-applicant from India, good luck to all.
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: EMBA Alum Opens Apple Mobile Wallet for JPMorgan Chase

Asked what he finds most rewarding about his career, Avin Arumugam sums it up in one word: scale. He’s talking about the complexity of his work and the scale of his impact—and he’s not kidding.

As Executive Director at Chase Digital for JPMorgan Chase, Arumugam, MBA 12, is leading Chase’s implementation of Apple Pay, a feature of the new iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus. The massive rollout to all Chase Credit and Debit customers and Chase Merchants has taken the work of hundreds of Chase employees across 11 divisions.

"I needed grounding in finance."

An engineer by training, Arumugam was managing mobile payment products for PayPal when he applied to the Berkeley-Columbia Executive MBA Program (Berkeley-Haas now offers its own EMBA program). “I always had lots of ideas, and I knew they were sound, but I didn’t have the frameworks and terminology to articulate them persuasively,” Arumugam says. “I realized I needed grounding in finance and to build my presentation skills.”

He calls his business school experience both the hardest thing he’s ever done and the most fun. “I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy,” he quips, “and I’d do it again in a heartbeat.”

That’s because he’s used that experience every day in his work. His first step in the Apple Pay
implementation was to simplify and build his team. “In business school, I learned that things get really complicated with too many cooks, so I asked each division CEO to provide me with just one leader, one point of contact for each Chase division. I knew that together, this great team could solve any problems that would come up.”  

"I still use Peter Goodson's templates."

He then used analysis skills gained from his operations course with Sara Beckman to map everything this team would need to do related to credit cards, debit cards, marketing, legal, merchant acquisition, and more and developed processes and systems to streamline it all. 

Arumugam has also used the business model canvas from Steve Blank’s Lean Launchpad course, and he credits Lecturer Peter Goodson’s Mergers & Acquisitions course with his success in clearly and persuasively laying out his plans for the Apple Pay initiative. “I still use a lot of Peter’s templates,” he says. “They crisply illustrate what you plan to do and how it will work.”

He also drew upon lessons in game theory From Professor Andy Rose’s Economics class to run two days of video-conferenced “war games” with several dozen participants from across Chase. “We spun out every ‘If they do this, then we do that,’ scenario we could come up with to be sure we understood how the industry could move,” he says. “Early in the project, I knew I wasn’t smart enough to solve all the problems myself, and the team told me that this is indeed what really got us over the hump.”

"My EMBA experience primed me to lead this effort."

Arumugam says his business school colleagues also played a role in preparing him for this opportunity. “I knew I could get this thing done,” he says of the massive undertaking. “I already knew the questions people would ask, because I got pushed in just that way by my most of classmates. I remember thinking at the time: if I can handle these top minds, I can handle anything.”

He also enjoyed how hard his Haas professors pushed students. “It wasn’t easy, but I loved it, and they were always there to bounce ideas off of,” he says. “I often wished that I could have talked to them about Apple Pay, but I since couldn’t, I just had to use what they taught me.”

Arumugam did reach out as soon as Chase’s partnership with Apple Pay was announced. He sent emails to Beckman, Blank, Goodson, and Rose, thanking each for preparing him to lead this project and noting, “I truly believe my EMBA experience primed me to lead this effort.”

What could the Berkeley MBA for Executives Program prime you to do?

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Hello all! We recently interviewed Stephanie Fujii, the newly-appointed assistant dean of the full-time MBA program and admissions at Haas. In her interview, she discusses the ways that Haas has made innovation a focus in their MBA curriculum. She also provides advice on how to approach Haas' application essays. If you're applying to Haas this year, her advice could really help you out! Read it here.

Originally posted by ClearAdmitJonFuller on 30 Sep 2014, 17:12.
Last edited by ClearAdmitJonFuller on 04 Dec 2014, 15:31, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Let us know if you have already submitted your applications or are just about to do so and do not forget to update your school statuses.

Just a couple of hours to go guys!! All the best.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V48
GPA: 3.78
Send PM
about ready to submit! is anyone else having this problem? checking through the printed version of my app and see this question: "Authorize use of your application materials for consideration of any awards and scholarships for which the Haas School believes you may be eligible" and it says I selected "No", but I can't find the question anywhere on my application and want to select yes. am i the only one having this issue?

EDIT: I called and they said they are aware of the problem. apparently question came over from last year, but everyone will be considered
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Stern '17 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V42
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Submitted!
GMAT Club Bot