Last visit was: 09 Jun 2024, 04:25 It is currently 09 Jun 2024, 04:25
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
   1  ...  6   7   8   9   10  ...  66   
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Given Kudos: 753
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Ross School of Business - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.2
WE:Project Management (Other)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: Duke '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): Class of 2017 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink]
neo656 wrote:
anupamgupta2112 wrote:
neo656 wrote:
I do expect some impact on the need based schols.
anupamgupta2112 - bro, I think we differ in our opinion here. Because ppl who work in NGOs and government sector will get biased against in this matter.

Care to explain? I did not quite get your logic there.

Logic is very simple my friend. Candidates from these backgrounds earn less bucks. Since they bring additional perspective to the class, schools usually like them. However, like all students they need big bucks to pay off the debt. If these candidates are considering going back to same fields they'll again earn low numbers and would find it tough to pay off the debt. Now, how to encourage these guys to join an expensive school. Simple. Give them need based schols!
Without such incentives, the candidates with ambition to go to NGOs, public sectors or similar sectors will simply have to choose the schools which make more financial sense to them.
I hope this explains. :)

Fair point. Makes sense.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: Duke '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
neo656 wrote:
Now my turn to ask a question. :)

Any clue what would be the effect on my candidacy if I do not waive off my right to to see the recommendation? Does it even matter to Tuck adcom or not?
I waived my right on the first reco, but now I'm repenting it. Thought I'd like to reserve on the second one.

P.S. the guy submitted in just 1 hour ! :shock: That's I'm repenting the waiver...

One hour? Really? Did he like you so well that he KNEW what he had to write or did he not care enough to even formulate an answer?

I am not sure about the right to waive. I haven't waived it. Maybe I will ask them this question when I visit for the interview.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: On MBA Rankings
As application season gets underway so does the annual round of rankings of business schools. These rankings have become a fixture in the MBA world and lots of consultants and analysts have written about the usefulness of rankings and their methodologies. I thought it might be interesting to hear from someone who deals with both the inner workings of the rankings and their results. As Assistant Dean, one of my responsibilities is working with the publications that do the rankings, providing information and data and delving into the methodologies they use.

There are five major rankings that most applicants are aware of and may look at when considering MBA programs: Business Week, The Economist, US News & World Report, Forbes, and the Financial Times. Two of the rankings, The Economist and the Financial Times provide an international ranking where U.S. and international schools are ranked together. Business Week and US News do a separate ranking for international schools and Forbes only covers US schools.

The rankings listed above rank full-time MBA programs rather than the business schools per se. However, the overall reputation of a business school as a whole clearly has an impact of these rankings.

Each of the rankings seeks to measure different aspects of business schools and their MBA programs but the most important distinction among them I think is their source of information: statistical data or survey-based “opinions.”

Forbes and the Financial Times use primarily hard data collected from MBA alumni and the schools themselves. Business Week bases its rankings almost exclusively on opinions of students and corporate recruiters. US News and the Economist use a balance of hard data and opinion.

The usefulness to individual applicants of rankings based on hard data depends heavily on: (1) which data the ranking chooses to include (e.g., the FT includes lots of data designed to measure how “global” a program is while US News puts an emphasis on student quality and selectivity) and (2) how carefully the ranking publication defines (e.g., simply asking for the percentage of international students versus and checks the data (e.g., US News sends us back an analysis of this year’s data versus last year’s highlighting big differences and the FT visits schools periodically to do an audit).

The value of opinion-based rankings vary based on: (1) the selection of the group asked to give opinions (HR directors of companies that recruit MBAs in general versus managers who actually recruit at the various school or current students versus alumni) and (2) the way survey questions are crafted.

So, as you look at the various rankings think about the kind of information they are based on and what that indicates about the relevance of their conclusions to your choice of program.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
neo656 wrote:

Any clue what would be the effect on my candidacy if I do not waive off my right to to see the recommendation? Does it even matter to Tuck adcom or not?
I waived my right on the first reco, but now I'm repenting it. Thought I'd like to reserve on the second one.

P.S. the guy submitted in just 1 hour ! :shock: That's I'm repenting the waiver...

Good question. I am wondering the same thing. I waived my right for both my recommendations thinking my recommenders would be willing to write more candidly and thoroughly if they knew that only the adcom would see it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Duke '17 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
Send PM
wluck wrote:
neo656 wrote:

Good question. I am wondering the same thing. I waived my right for both my recommendations thinking my recommenders would be willing to write more candidly and thoroughly if they knew that only the adcom would see it.

I went through this whole mental exercise about a month ago. Originally I did not waive, then everything I read said "Thou shall waive!" So in a panic I deleted my recommenders then resubmitted the same people as recommenders and waived my right (except Tuck and Fuqua because Tuck allows you to change your mind and Fuqua doesn't give you the choice because they do not retain the recommendation) but I think all the worrying I did was in vain. I don't think it matters. Anything you read or hear from an Adcom will have to say that it doesn't matter, because it is a legal requirement for them to give you the option to see the recommendation if they retain the rec in your file, or something along those lines... same reason adcom will never SAY age is an issue, because you cannot discriminate due to age. But flip-flopping on the issue like I already did, that might raise a brow. I'd like to hear from someone that previously did the flip-flop.

Just my two cents.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Schools: Tuck '16 (M$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
DLEmba wrote:
wluck wrote:
neo656 wrote:

I went through this whole mental exercise about a month ago. Originally I did not waive, then everything I read said "Thou shall waive!" So in a panic I deleted my recommenders then resubmitted the same people as recommenders and waived my right (except Tuck and Fuqua because Tuck allows you to change your mind and Fuqua doesn't give you the choice because they do not retain the recommendation) but I think all the worrying I did was in vain. I don't think it matters. Anything you read or hear from an Adcom will have to say that it doesn't matter, because it is a legal requirement for them to give you the option to see the recommendation if they retain the rec in your file, or something along those lines... same reason adcom will never SAY age is an issue, because you cannot discriminate due to age. But flip-flopping on the issue like I already did, that might raise a brow. I'd like to hear from someone that previously did the flip-flop.

Just my two cents.

I doubt it matters at all. No idea if they even track things like that.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE:Sales (Other)
Send PM
I originally didn't waive my right to see them for the Harvard and Stanford applications, which are due earlier. But after talking to some people, it came up that if you don't waive, adcomms may think that your recommenders aren't being completely honest since they know we can see it. I went back and switched it. Seeing what they wrote doesn't matter that much to me, as I picked them for a reason, and this lessens the stress of overthinking a bit.

Ultimately, I think if an adcomm actually did take waive/not waive into consideration it would be if you were on the fence (which I may very well be). I also agree that even if they do look at this and think about it, they will never admit it.

Originally posted by bml1105 on 26 Sep 2014, 16:06.
Last edited by bml1105 on 27 Sep 2014, 09:54, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
bml1105 wrote:
I originally didn't waive my right to see them for the Harvard and Stanford applications, which are due earlier. But after talking to some people, it came up that if you don't waive adcomms may think that your recommenders aren't being completely honest since they know we can see it. I went back and switched it. Seeing what they won't doesn't matter that much to me, as I picked them for a reason, and this lessens the stress of overthinking a bit.

Ultimately, I think if an adcomm actually did take waive/not waive into consideration it would be if you were on the fence (which I may very well be). I also agree that even if they do look at this and think about it, they will never admit it.

Great discussion on that. I think I'm gonna waive off for the second one as well.
anupamgupta2112 - the guy had written a reco for me during IMD application, may be that's why it took him less time. But 1 hour! That might well qualify for a record.. ;)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 159 [1]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
Kudos
anupamgupta2112 wrote:
neo656 wrote:

One hour? Really? Did he like you so well that he KNEW what he had to write or did he not care enough to even formulate an answer?

I am not sure about the right to waive. I haven't waived it. Maybe I will ask them this question when I visit for the interview.

My 2 cents. Waive. No point in not doing so. From what I know, you can only see the recommendations after you get in. You can't see the recs, if you get dinged. And, if you do get in, would you really be that keen to see your recs? Unless you're contemplating going back to work for the same person (don't think many people aspire to that).

So, I've waived for all recs.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
gmatbugsme84 wrote:
My 2 cents. Waive. No point in not doing so. From what I know, you can only see the recommendations after you get in. You can't see the recs, if you get dinged. And, if you do get in, would you really be that keen to see your recs? Unless you're contemplating going back to work for the same person (don't think many people aspire to that).

So, I've waived for all recs.

Good point...
(y)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
Submitted!! Now time to wait and see how it goes

Good luck!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
neo656 wrote:

A Tuck Adcom Member was kind to reply to my question. The link is here.
The extract is ...
Quote:
Tuck Admissions (Member of the Tuck Admissions Committee) replied
Hi neo656 - By not waiving your right, it might raise a question that you had a hand in writing your own recommendation. The majority of applicants DO waive their right to see their LOR.

Learnings - One might be raising red flags even without realizing.

Originally posted by neo656 on 29 Sep 2014, 20:48.
Last edited by neo656 on 29 Sep 2014, 20:53, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
domotron wrote:
I doubt it matters at all. No idea if they even track things like that.

Based on their reply, it appears that they do track this stuff. :shock:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Duke '17 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
Send PM
neo656 wrote:
neo656 wrote:

A Tuck Adcom Member was kind to reply to my question. The link is here.
The extract is ...
Quote:
Tuck Admissions (Member of the Tuck Admissions Committee) replied
Hi neo656 - By not waiving your right, it might raise a question that you had a hand in writing your own recommendation. The majority of applicants DO waive their right to see their LOR.

Learnings - One might be raising red flags even without realizing.

I'm sorry but this makes no sense to me. I would think that by waiving your right you are more likely to be seen as someone who would tamper with the recommendation, why else would you be so confident to not see the rec? And if you don't waive I would think that is because you are curious to see what the recommender wrote, because you didnt write/influence the rec... which is why I originally didnt waive, but then seeing the way adcom views the issue, I changed it. Luckily, Tuck allows you to switch after you choose your recommender. I called Harvard adcom and asked if they can see that I switched from Not Waive to Waive and they said yes, but she said they understand people change their minds and it doesnt matter... I guess I'll see when Harvard sends out interview invitations Oct 08th and 15th.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
DLEmba wrote:
I'm sorry but this makes no sense to me. I would think that by waiving your right you are more likely to be seen as someone who would tamper with the recommendation, why else would you be so confident to not see the rec? And if you don't waive I would think that is because you are curious to see what the recommender wrote, because you didnt write/influence the rec... which is why I originally didnt waive, but then seeing the way adcom views the issue, I changed it. Luckily, Tuck allows you to switch after you choose your recommender. I called Harvard adcom and asked if they can see that I switched from Not Waive to Waive and they said yes, but she said they understand people change their minds and it doesnt matter... I guess I'll see when Harvard sends out interview invitations Oct 08th and 15th.

I too got confused with their response but chose to take their advice. After all they know their practice better than me!
Quote:
neo656 (applying to Tuck Round 1) replied
Hi Adcom Member,
Thanks for the advice! Good for me I waived off the right in second reco too.
But I am confused, because a curious person who has not seen his LOR or had a hand in writing it might be tempted to see it and hence waiver right shouldn't raise a red flag. Regardless, your advice comes in a good time. I'll post it on the other forums too.
Cheers
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
I heard it as if you waive, the recommender sees that. Then the schools trust the recommender to write completely honestly, as they don't have to worry about the student seeing their feedback, making it more meaningful.

Posted from my mobile device
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE:Sales (Other)
Send PM
DLEmba wrote:
I called Harvard adcom and asked if they can see that I switched from Not Waive to Waive and they said yes, but she said they understand people change their minds and it doesnt matter... I guess I'll see when Harvard sends out interview invitations Oct 08th and 15th.

I'm in the same boat as you for Harvard and Stanford. Hopefully, it doesn't hurt us!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  6   7   8   9   10  ...  66   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6957 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts