Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 23:06 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 23:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Is Your MBA Application Ready to Go Live? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Is Your MBA Application Ready to Go Live?

Wait! Are you sure you’re ready to hit submit? Are you certain that your MBA application is in tip-top condition and ready to go live? Don’t you want a definitive stamp of approval? An A+ grade that will enable you to send off your application with confidence?

With Accepted’s new Final Check service, you’ll receive a final review and critique of your essays, resume, and short answer/optional question responses. Our expert consultants will let you know what you can do to further optimize your application to get it ready for submission.

Now’s the time to get your Final Check…especially with the following deadlines right around the corner:

• Sept. 23 – MIT Sloan

• Sept. 24 – INSEAD and Kellogg

• Sept. 26 – Booth

• Oct. 1 – Stanford, Haas, Johnson, and Wharton

Submit with confidence! Get your Final Check today!

Tags: MBA Admissions

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
An Indian B-School Hopeful Racking Up the Work Experience [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: An Indian B-School Hopeful Racking Up the Work Experience

Balaji

This interview is the latest in an Accepted.com blog series featuring interviews with MBA applicant bloggers, offering readers a behind-the-scenes look at the MBA application process. And now…introducing Balaji.

Accepted: First, can you tell us a little about yourself? Where are you from? Where and what did you study as an undergrad? What is your favorite non-school book? 

Balaji: I’m based on out Bangalore, India. I currently work as a Program Management Analyst in a Fortune 100 company. I did my undergrad in Bachelor of Engineering (Electronics & Instrumentation Engineering) from Anna University, Chennai.

I love reading fictional and history books. My favorite ones have been Dan Brown’s series and my most favorite book related to history is Glimpses of World History by Nehru.

Accepted: What stage of the admissions process are you up to? 

Balaji: I did not start my application process yet. As I currently only have 3 and a half years of experience. And after thorough study, I thought I would require 5 years of experience to have a good chance of getting into top b-schools as the average WE is 5 years.

Last year, I tried applying to one b-school to get some experience in the application process. But I was dinged without interview, and I think it was due to my WE, as I had only 2 years of experience while applying.

Accepted: Do you plan on staying in your current industry post-MBA, or changing to a new field/career?

Balaji: I haven’t decided on that yet. I wanted to stay in my field for sometime post-MBA, as I love Project/Program Management – rather to generalize I love management/operational stuffs.

Also I have a plan to start my own business at some point in future.

Accepted: As an Indian male in the software industry (a highly represented applicant group), you’re going to need to work hard to distinguish yourself from the crowd. What are some things that set you apart from your competition? 

Balaji: Yes, I belong to Indian-Male category but not in software industry any more. My previous employer was a top 15 IT service provider in the world. But as soon I was done with my undergrad, I wanted to pursue an MBA. So I avoided any software related jobs in my previous employer, so I worked as Enterprise Project Management Analyst. After 3 years working with CGI. I moved to Honeywell (here I work for Aero Division). I thought working in Fortune 100 Company will make my profile/application more visible and strong.

Now moving onto distinguishing myself from the highly represented group, below are my extra-curricular activities I presently do/did during my work, undergrad and high school.

A.    Student Coordinator in National Entrepreneurship Network during my last 2 years of my undergrad.

B.    Core Cultural Committee member during my last 2 years of my undergrad – in charge/single point of contact for all technical related activities.

C.    Was a Sergeant of National cadet corps in my high school.

D.    Was a vice-captain of my high school football (soccer) team.

E.    Was core member in corporate social responsibility team at my previous employer. We conducted many charity and fundraiser events for orphanages, etc.

F.    Certified Competent Communicator and Competent leader from Toastmasters International. And also served as Vice President Education for 2 terms.

G.    Finally was a core member in Employee Welfare Association club at my previous employer.

On Entrepreneurship: My in-law runs an event management company. I take care of the business when he is held up with other important works or on travel.

Accepted: Why did you decide to blog about your experience? What have you gained from the experience? What do you hope others will learn?

Balaji: There isn’t a better way than forums and blogs to tell everyone around the world who is currently preparing for the GMAT/MBA application that it is easy to get into top b-school with your efforts and perseverance. I thought, if I start blogging about my experience I can learn my mistakes. (In PM terminology: We always to tend to document our project plan and risks etc., so that it will be helpful for the lessons learnt at the end of the project.)

And for others, there will always be room to improve from one’s own mistakes from others’ mistakes/experiences.

You can read more about Balaji’sb-school journey by checking out his blog, GNPTH: My GMAT/MBA Journey. Thank you Balaji for sharing your story with us – we wish you loads of luck!

For one-on-one guidance on your b-school application, please see our MBA Application Packages.

Related Resources:

GMAT 101 Page

Best MBA Programs: A Guide to Selecting the Right One

Entrepreneurship & the MBA

Tags: MBA Admissions, MBA applicant bloggers

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
Snag Your Stanford GSB Class of 2017 Seat [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Snag Your Stanford GSB Class of 2017 Seat
If you’re aiming to attend Stanford GSB or another top 10 MBA program in 2015, then you’ll want to view our most recent webinar, Get Accepted to Stanford Graduate School of Business.

In her presentation, Linda Abraham, CEO & Founder of Accepted.com, offers advice on how to apply successfully to Stanford GSB or another top-ranked MBA program.

View Get Accepted to Stanford Graduate School of Business on-demand now!

Accepted.com ~ Helping You Write Your Best

Tags: MBA Admissions, Stanford GSB, webinar

Own Kudos [?]: 844 [1]
Send PM
Georgetown McDonough 2015 MBA Essay Tips & Deadlines [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Georgetown McDonough 2015 MBA Essay Tips & Deadlines

Georgetown McDonough, the top MBA program at the intersection of business and government, takes advantage of its Washington D.C. location, its connections to the greater Georgetown University community, and its Jesuit roots while at the same time time focusing on the global nature of twenty-first century business.  Your application should show that you need the education provided by McDonough to achieve your goals and that you wholeheartedly embrace its values.

Essay:

Essays should all be double-spaced using 12pt. font. Prepare your attachments offline in separate document files and upload them individually. Please follow the instructions regarding length of each attachment, and label each page with your name.

1. Why You? (Hint: We are looking for an answer that cannot be found from research on our website.) (750 words or fewer)

This question is all about fit. It is an attempt by Georgetown to learn about you and why you think you are a good fit for Georgetown and Georgetown is a good fit for you.  Georgetown wants to see how you think and come to a major decision.

There are lots of different ways to approach this essay. Clearly you shouldn’t spit back the McDonough web site. If you can, talk to current students about the culture and distinctive elements of the program to gain a deeper understanding of it. You also need to reflect on the reasons you personally would choose McDonough. Why is it the best program for you?

You could start with a highly influential experience that influence your decision to pursue an MBA, go into more depth about what you hope to achieve and why you believe Georgetown is the best place for you to achieve it.

Alternatively, you could start with a day in the future where you attain your goal and then circle back to discuss the development of that goal and McDonough’s role in helping you achieve it. You can also discuss how you intend to contribute to McDonought’s community.

In short, why should McDonough accept you? How will you make the school proud that they did?

Optional Essays:

1. If you are not currently employed full-time, use this essay to provide information about your current activities. (250 words or fewer)

Show them that you are using this period to acquire new skills, contribute to your community, or grow in some way.

2. Please provide any information that you would like to add to your application that you have not otherwise included. (500 words or fewer)

Please see “The Optional Essay: To Be or Not to Be.

Re-Applicant Essay:

How have you strengthened your candidacy since your last application? We are particularly interested in hearing about how you have grown professionally and personally. (500 words or fewer)

This is a key question (whether asked explicitly or not) for all reapplicantsto any MBA program. What has changed? How are you “new and improved” since last year — when you were rejected? Georgetown does you the favor of providing this explicit prompt so you can address this question while retaining the ability to address the main essay.

If you would like professional guidance with your Georgetown McDonough School MBA application, please consider Accepted’s MBA essay editing and MBA admissions consulting or our  MBA Application Packages, which include advising, editing, interview coaching, and a resume edit for the Georgetown McDonough MBA application.

Georgetown McDonough 2015 MBA Application Deadlines:

Application Deadline
Decision Notification

Round 1
 October 10, 2014
 December 20, 2014

Round 2
 January 5, 2015
 March 20, 2015

Round 3
 April 1, 2015
 May 15, 2015

By Linda Abraham, president and founder of Accepted.com and co-author of the new, definitive book on MBA admissions, MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools2015 MBA Application Essay Tips

Optional Essays: When and How to Write Them

• 5 Fatal Flaws to Avoid in Your MBA Application Essays

Tags: 2015 MBA Application, Georgetown McDonough, MBA Admissions

Send PM
Writing About Your Experiences Abroad [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Writing About Your Experiences Abroad

Ensure that your study abroad experience serves a role other than window-dressing.

You’ve done it – you studied, worked, or volunteered abroad and now you want to include part of this in your personal statement. Maybe you want to show that you’ve experienced a different culture or that you’ve managed to go outside of your comfort zone. Maybe you’ve had interesting experiences – met people, climbed mountains, or lived without air-conditioning. Or maybe you had the opportunity to help people who genuinely needed it.

But, at this point, you’ve also realized that many other applicants have similar experiences, and you are right. While the experience may have been transformative for you, requiring you to learn how to operate without your usual safety net in a foreign environment, you need to ensure that your study abroad experience serves a role in your essay as something other than window-dressing.

There’s an Onion article which jokes that someone’s short work experience in Africa allowed her to post a better Facebook photo, and, without the proper analysis, descriptions of abroad experiences can feel the same way in an admissions essay. Often, I read essays with lush descriptions of exotic scenery and people who speak different languages, yet you the writer – the most important person – stays the same. Without showing admissions committees why a study abroad experience was transformative, these types of stories simply blend together and give the impression that you were there simply to add another notch to your resume.

So, what should you do? Studying abroad can be a pivotal moment in your personal journey, but a personal statement needs to explain exactly why. If, indeed, gaining experience with other cultures was important to you at that stage, what exactly did you learn? It can’t be enough to just give a story about someone you met while traveling, you have to explain why that person changed you. An admissions committee member once told me that it mattered less what an applicant’s experience was, what mattered was how she talked about it. Even the most seemingly dull experience can be transformative to someone who is really paying attention.

Jessica Pishko
graduated with a J.D. from Harvard Law School and received an M.F.A. from Columbia University. She spent two years guiding students through the medical school application process at Columbia’s PostBacc Program and teaches writing at all levels.

Related Resources:

• Two Ways to Reveal Leadership in Your Applications

What is Passion in Admissions?

7 Signs an Experience Belongs in Your Application Essay

Tags: Admissions Consulting, College Admissions, Grad School Admissions, Law School Admissions, MBA Admissions, Medical School Admissions, personal statement

Send PM
HEC Paris Launches New MBA-MIF Program [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: HEC Paris Launches New MBA-MIF Program

HEC Paris Business School just announced the launch of its new MBA-MIF program in a press release Monday. The 20-month program (16 months for the MBA and 10 months for the Masters in Finance) will provide students with an integrated curriculum, allowing for different tracks for students with different skills and experience levels. Within the MBA component of the program, students will be able specialize in entrepreneurship, strategy, or general management, and combine that with the finance specialization in the MIF component. Students will receive “early intensive training in finance, thereby enhancing preparation for banking and consulting interviews.”

Upon completion of the dual degree program, students will receive an MBA and an MSc in International Finance.

According to Jacques Olivier, HEC Paris Professor of Finance and Program Director, “The financial crisis has challenged business schools to find new ways to equip their graduates with the right set of knowledge, skills and values. HEC Paris has designed the MBA-MIF dual degree for young professionals who wish to acquire not only the general management education and leadership skills from a leading MBA program, but also advanced technical knowledge in finance to differentiate themselves from their peers. This unique combination will allow dual degree students to fast-track onto senior management positions within finance and consulting.”

See the HEC Paris website for more information on the MBA-MIF program.

For advice on how to get accepted to HEC Paris, please see our HEC Paris B-School Zone.

Related Resources:

• Which Business School Will Get Me to Wall Street?

• Vault’s 2015 Banking Rankings

• The Facts About Financial Services

Tags: Grad School Admissions, HEC, Masters in Finance, MBA Admissions

Send PM
MIT Master in Finance – Is It the Right Fit for You (and Vice Versa)? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: MIT Master in Finance – Is It the Right Fit for You (and Vice Versa)?

Practicality is the essence of MIT’s Master in Finance program. It’s just one year, as opposed to numerous MFin programs that are 1.5 to 2 years, and, as the website notes, it was developed “as a direct response to demand in the financial industry.” In spite of the short duration, the program offers flexibility to tailor it to your needs. Moreover, it’s an “early career” program – students’ pre-program experience averages 0-4 years, according to the website, with about 50% coming directly from undergrad.

Here are some additional distinguishing elements of the program:

• Its location in the business school deepens its opportunities; you’ll take some courses with MBA, PhD, and Sloan Fellows students, giving you direct access to people with deep experience and networks across many industries and functions. You can also participate in certain clubs such as Venture Capital and Private Equity Club.

• The flexibility extends to the option to take some courses at the School of Engineering and/or School of Science.

• The practical nature of the program includes a Finance Research Practicum, which addresses real-world situations and problems.

• The opportunity to build strong, enduring relationships arises from the extensive small-group work, which also prepares you to succeed in an increasingly interconnected and team-focused work environment.

• Career development is an ongoing focus from the first semester, with a “Career Core” curriculum. There are also career treks and opportunities to explore industry segments.

• About 88% of 2013 graduates received employment offers as of October 2013, notes the Employment Report.

• It’s a truly global program, with 84% of students from outside the US.

Now, what does it take to win access to these delectable resources and opportunities? With an acceptance rate of around 10%, a lot.

• Solid academic achievement and test scores, with average GPA of 3.7 (in programs spanning various disciplines, from economics and math to engineering and business to humanities and science), GMAT mid 80% range 700-770, with quant 48-51; GRE quant mid 80% range 161-170.

• Prerequisite quantitative coursework – if you click on the link, scroll down and take the self-assessment!

• Most desired personal qualities are ability to collaborate, willingness to think/look outside of the proverbial box (a classic MIT value), and high motivation (use your essays to demonstrate these qualities).

• While many students have no official professional experience, the adcom wants to see at least a related internship, so that students come with some practical exposure.

• Interviews are selective (about 30%) and by invitation only; every accepted applicant is interviewed (about 30% of those interviewed are admitted).

• Good news for internationals: a TOEFL score is not required!

By the way, on the program’s website there is an extensive and thorough discussion of recruiting, careers, etc. in the FAQ – I recommend perusing it.

By Cindy Tokumitsu, author and co-author of numerous ebooks, articles, and special reports, including Why MBA and Best MBA Programs: A Guide to Selecting the Right One. Cindy has advised hundreds of successful applicants in her fifteen years with Accepted.com.

Related Resources:

MIT Sloan B-School Zone

• Princeton University Master in Finance: Is It Right for You, and Are You Right for Princeton?

• The Facts About Financial Services

Tags: Grad School Admissions, Masters in Finance, MBA Admissions, MiF-Program-Overviews, MIT

Send PM
The Georgetown McDonough MBA: Everything You Need to Know [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: The Georgetown McDonough MBA: Everything You Need to Know

Georgetown McDonough is famous for being the place where business and policy meet, but there is so much more to say about this top MBA Program.

Listen to the recording of our conversation with Shari Hubert, Associate Dean of MBA Admissions at Georgetown McDonough School of Business, for a phenomenal overview of what’s new and exciting at the school.

00:04:38 – About the Full-Time MBA at Georgetown McDonough.

00:08:57 – How the global focus plays out.

00:15:21 – The intersection of Business & Policy.

00:20:15 – Other strengths of the McDonough program.

00:25:14 – The Real Estate Initiative.

00:27:37 – What McDonough is looking for in their one required essay question: “Why You?”

00:29:20 – The admissions office as a resource for applicants and the role of admissions advisors.

00:35:43 – What Shari wishes applicants would think about before applying!

00:39:52 – It’s 10pm and you are reading one last application after a long day: What would make you jump for joy and what would really bother you?

*Theme music is courtesy of podcastthemes.com.

Related Links:

Georgetown McDonough MBA

• The Real Estate Finance Initiative

• Where Does Wall St. Hire: U.S. B-Schools Sending Grads into Financial Services

• McDonough on Tumblr

• McDonough on Twitter

• McDonough on Facebook

• Global Social Enterprise Initiative

• Georgetown McDonough 2015 MBA Essay Tips & Deadlines

• Georgetown McDonough B-School Zone

Related Shows:

Jeff Reid

• MBA Project Search

• Honing in On the Cornell Johnson MBA

• The Tuck School of Business and the Global Insight Requirement

Subscribe to Admissions Straight Talk:

Tags: Admissions Straight Talk, Georgetown McDonough, MBA Admissions, podcast

Send PM
What You Should NOT Include in Your MBA Essays [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: What You Should NOT Include in Your MBA Essays

Don’t share too much personal information!

Do this. Write that. Include the other. What TO put in your MBA essays is the topic of many discussions. But what NOT to include is a less talked about conversation. Until now…

Check out these three things that you should NEVER include your MBA application essays:

1. Private, intimate details about your life.

You want to provide a personal account that highlights your character, experiences, and achievements; but tread carefully – too much information will cross the line into an inappropriate zone. Topics to steer clear of: sex, divorce, gross medical details, childbirth, bathroom humor, heavy partying etc. Hopefully you’re thinking, “Why on earth would anyone include that in an application!” If, however, you’re thinking, “Wow, I never thought to avoid these subjects – this is good to know,” then I’m glad you’re reading this!

The only time when it may be acceptable to discuss any of the above is to mention it as context for poor performance in the past. And then less is more. Focus on how you have dealt with the issue, overcome it, and moved on.

2. Broad declarative statements unsubstantiated by specific examples.

You probably learned this rule in elementary school, but we’ll review it – each topic sentence you write must be followed by supporting sentences. So if you claim that you are a team leader, you can’t just leave it at that. Instead, follow that with a few examples: What have you done to show your leadership abilities? How many people were on your team? How did you motivate your team members? Did you encounter any obstacles? If so, how did you overcome them? What did you gain from the experience overall?

This is particularly important when talking about work accomplishments. Saying that you developed a new product or organized a huge event begs for more questions. Answer those questions so that the adcom readers don’t need to ask them.

3. Exaggerations and lies.

Fact-checking has become a regular part of an admissions reader’s job. Please don’t exaggerate or lie. It’s unethical and unwise. It’ll only come back to bite you.

So there you have it: three places you don’t want to go in your MBA essays – at least if you do want to go to b-school.

Accepted.com ~ Helping You Write Your Best

Related Resources:

The Biggest Application Essay Mistake

• How Personal is Too Personal?

• Weakness, What Weakness?

Tags: MBA Admissions

Send PM
4 Tips for Better B-School Visits [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: 4 Tips for Better B-School Visits

Prepare good questions.

First, let me begin by saying that if you have the time and money to visit the schools that you’re thinking about applying to, then you absolutely should. And the reason isn’t because of the imaginary “brownie points”; it is because visiting a school will transform you into a much more informed applicant. There’s so much about a school’s culture, teaching style, and student body that can only be understood fully through experience.

The following 4 tips will help you make the most of your b-school visit.

1) Timing is everything. Visit the school when classes are in session so that you can see the learning in action. Don’t go during finals as students will likely be stressed out and not as eager to leisurely sit and talk with you.

2) Research before you go. You should read up on the school before you pay your visit. Your familiarity will enable you to ask better questions, make deeper connections with student, faculty, and adcom members, and feel more comfortable overall.

3) Prepare good questions. You’ll likely to speaking to lots of students, adcom members, and professors. Come prepared with good questions so you’re not left tongue tied when a good opportunity for a question presents itself. (See below for sample questions.)

4) Participate in visitor activities. Take advantage of all options presented to you, including attending class, a tour, info sessions, one-on-one meetings with students, etc.

Sample questions:

• What is a typical day like for you here?

• What would you like to see improved here?

• What kinds of extracurricular activities are you involved in?

• Is it easy for someone to start their own club or group?

• How do professors balance teaching and research?

• Is there a bidding process for internship and full-time job interviews?

You should also ask questions that are specific to your target program and needs, like about individual professors or classes. Another good, program-specific question for students may be, “Why did you decide to attend this program?” You can also ask about their post-MBA goals and how this program will help them achieve them.

Finally the best questions are those about specific programs at the school that you are interested in because they will help you achieve your post-MBA goals.

Related Resources:

• What You Must Know Before Meeting Admissions Directors

Best MBA Programs: A Guide to Selecting the Right One

• What to Do at an MBA Fair [Podcast Interview]

Tags: MBA Admissions, school visits

Send PM
Harvard Kennedy School 2015 Application Essay Tips [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Harvard Kennedy School 2015 Application Essay Tips

“Ask what you can do.”

The HKS application serves applicants to the MPP and the various MPA programs (PhD applicants use the Harvard GSAS application). The essays discussed below are for the MPP and the two-year MPA applications (essay questions are different for the MPA/ID and mid-career MPA applications).

HKS seeks well-rounded master’s students – people with proven academic success, strong leadership and career potential, and “commitment to advancing the public interest” (quoting the dean). The school also wants the student body to be diverse. Your application overall will address these factors; the essays provide a valuable opportunity to underscore through specific detail how you meet these criteria and will be a unique contributor. Perhaps more important, use the essays to weave together these elements into a coherent story/presentation.

My tips are in blue below.

The Harvard Kennedy School motto, echoing the President for whom the School is named, is “Ask what you can do.” Please share with the Admissions Committee your plans to create positive change through your leadership and service. (500 word limit)

This is in essence a goals question. I suggest a professional focus, though it could also include non-work plans. Three keys to making this essay work: (1) In describing your plans/goals, clarify what “positive change” looks like to you – it’s easy to forget that it looks different to different people.   (2) Discuss practical aspects – how you’ll execute those plans, focusing on your anticipated leadership and sense of service. (3) Root the plans in your experience, to lend credibility to what you say you will do in the future (easy to say, after all, but much more believable if you have a relevant track record).

There are many pathways one can pursue in order to make a difference in the world. Why is the MPP/MPA Program at HKS an appropriate pathway to achieving your goals? (500 word limit)

The adcom is clearly looking for applicants who will use this degree productively to make a difference. In a nutshell, in this essay, explain how you’ll do that. Go with the concept inferred by the word “pathway” – a way to get where you want to go. Resist the common (and understandable) impulse to list everything wonderful about the program. Rather, discuss a few or several elements that are most important to you and will, in practical terms, help you to pursue your goals. 

(Optional) If you have any concerns about your prior academic background, or if you believe the Admissions Committee may have concerns, please give a brief explanation of your performance in college, or your standardized test scores. (750 word limit)

This optional essay question specifically instructs you to write the optional essay only if there are potential concerns about your prior academic or test performance. If you do need to use it for that purpose, write a succinct, straightforward explanation – although they give you 750 words, a paragraph will often suffice. Don’t be defensive or evasive, just tell it straight. If you have evidence that the under-performance does not reflect your true ability, add a sentence or two stating that point with the evidence (e.g., maybe you did poorly overall in college, but in your last semester earned straight A’s in advanced courses).

Deadline: December 2, 2014

By Cindy Tokumitsu, author and co-author of numerous ebooks, articles, and special reports, including Why MBA and Best MBA Programs: A Guide to Selecting the Right One. Cindy has advised hundreds of successful applicants in her fifteen years with Accepted.com.

Related Resources:

Leadership in Admissions

4 Ways to Show How You’ll Contribute in the Future

How to Prove Character Traits in Essays

Tags: Grad School Admissions, Harvard, MBA Admissions

Send PM
At the Nexus of Business & Law: Penn/Wharton’s JD/MBA [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: At the Nexus of Business & Law: Penn/Wharton’s JD/MBA

Is your future in the place where law and business collide? Meet the woman who juggles the two worlds of law and business school (and she has two offices to show for it!).

Listen to the recording of our conversation with Colleen France, Associate Director of JD/MBA Programs at Penn Law & The Wharton School, for the low down on this very intense program.

00:02:46 – From admissions to capstone: a comprehensive overview of the 3 year JD/MBA Program

00:08:54 – Who the 4-year JD/MBA Program is for.

00:12:25 – What the adcom is looking for: How applications are submitted and evaluated.

00:15:45 – How the integrated program works.

00:21:00 – A glance at the (highly impressive) JD/MBA class profile.

00:23:40 – What would make Colleen excited about an applicant.

00:26:39 – The graduates: where are they & what are they saying about their JD/MBA experience.

00:30:11 – Are the 3-year students cut short?

00:34:10 – Great advice for potential applicants.

*Theme music is courtesy of podcastthemes.com.

Related Links:

The JD/MBA Program 

• The Wharton School

• University of Pennsylvania Law School

The JD/MBA Program on Tubmlr 

• The JD/ MBA Program on Twitter

• Interview with JD/MBA Student Craig Carter

Related Shows:

Global Business Leadership at Wharton’s Lauder Institute

• Healthcare Management at Wharton and at Large

• Business, Law and Beyond: An Interview with John Engelman

• CommonBond’s Story: A Revolution in Student Loans

Subscribe to Admissions Straight Talk:

Tags: Admissions Straight Talk, JD/MBA, Law School Admissions, MBA Admissions, podcast, Wharton

Send PM
5 Tips to Find a Satisfying Career [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: 5 Tips to Find a Satisfying Career

Don’t get stuck in a career you really don’t like!

Work becomes such a big part of your life after college that it is really important to find a career you will be happy in. Don’t just jump into the first job that comes your way after graduation. No matter what anyone else says, you really have to look within yourself and decide what is going to make you happy and what you are going to enjoy doing for the rest of your life.

The truth is that you will be more successful when you are happy at work. So here are five tips to find a satisfying career:

1) Do what you want to do instead of what you feel like you should do.

It’s so easy to just go along that path of what you should do. You can save yourself so much time and trouble if you just start with what you want to do. The career you started in doesn’t necessarily have to be the career you end with. There is freedom in your career and you don’t have to stick with one career. You can be so many things. Don’t worry about what anyone else thinks.

2) Do one small task daily that helps you get closer to your big goal.

If you do something daily on your way to your big goal, totally amazing things will start happening. Wake up earlier or schedule 30 minutes every evening to work on your passion. And don’t forget that the best investment you can make is always in yourself. Take a course or find a coach. It’s always worth it.

3) Learn more about yourself.

Once you recognize what your personal values are, it will feel like everything just comes into place so much more quickly as far as choosing a career that magnifies who you are. As you start to know your personality, motivations and interests more, you will learn what is important to you in the career that you pick. Then you can start searching for a career that will meet your personal and professional needs.

4)  Get clear about what you want.

If you don’t know what you want, you will probably just take the first job that comes your way. This can have bad consequences leading to becoming stuck in a career that you don’t really like. Instead, get clear on what it is you want so that you can job search more effectively. Dream up your ideal workday and create a vision board that you look at everyday to remind you of your career goals and dreams.

5) Ask for help.

It’s OK to ask for help. One of the best and easiest ways to gain experience is by asking others. There are so many people out there in the world who are simply waiting to help you, and all you have to do is ask.  It’s OK to seek out mentors, and it’s OK to boldly ask people for career guidance and insights. You have to be grabby. Don’t wait for opportunities to happen to you.

Take this opportunity now to decide what you want to achieve and start taking action to make your ideal career happen.

Anna Runyan is the creator of the “Love Your Career Formula.” She has an upcoming free online workshop on October 9th, 2014 called, “How to Ditch Your Dead End Job and Find a Career You Love.” If you want Anna’s proven step-by-step system to find a fulfilling career, grab your spot here!

Tags: College Admissions, Grad School Admissions, job, Law School Admissions, MBA Admissions, Medical School Admissions

Send PM
Chicago Booth: A Social Experience Outside of My Comfort Zone [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Chicago Booth: A Social Experience Outside of My Comfort Zone

This interview is the latest in an Accepted.com blog series featuring interviews with current MBA students, offering readers a behind-the-scenes look at top MBA programs. And now for a chat with Cheetarah1980, a student at Chicago Booth.

Accepted: We’d like to get to know you! Where are you from? Where and what did you study as an undergrad? What is your favorite non-school book?

Cheetarah1980: I’m from upstate NY, born and raised. I went to Cornell for undergrad and studied Policy Analysis and Management. My favorite non-school book is probably Pride and Prejudice. It’s one of those books I can read over and over again.

Accepted: What was your most recent pre-MBA job? Do you plan on returning to that same industry after you receive your MBA or heading into a new field? What’s your plan?

Cheetarah1980: Prior to business school I worked in sales in the consumer goods industry. I’m not returning to that job. I’ve almost wrapped up an offer to be a Project Director at a prominent non-profit organization where I’ll be working on building cross sector partnerships.

Accepted: Can you talk about your experience applying for jobs? What role did Booth play in the job search process?

Cheetarah1980: Applying to jobs has been a long process because I was looking at non-traditional, niche roles in non-profit and corporate responsibility/sustainability. I received a lot of support from career services in terms of creating a target list, informational interview prep, resumes, networking emails, cover letters, etc.

Through the Booth Social Enterprise Initiative I also gained some valuable experience through a CSR fellowship as well as several great networking contacts that eventually led to job opportunities. It’s important to understand that in more niche career fields no school is really equipped to hand you jobs on a platter. Outside of the recruiting machine companies hire when they need someone. Your best bet is to be building relationships with as many companies as possible so that when opportunities do arise you have positioned yourself for an interview. Career services can help you develop approaches for creating those relationships and give suggestions for companies to target and how to get in touch with people at those organizations.

Accepted: Which other MBA programs did you consider when you were applying to b-school? Why did you choose Booth — how is it the best school for you?

Cheetarah1980: I applied to Wharton, Kellogg, Booth, and Stanford. I got into Booth, Wharton, and Kellogg. I chose Booth because I thought it would give me a social experience outside of my normal comfort zone. I also felt that I would be well supported in pursuing my career goals.

Accepted: If you could change one thing about the program, what would it be? 

Cheetarah1980: The program itself is great. I do wish Booth had more diversity in terms of students of color. The Black and Latino populations are very small and have been shrinking for several years now. The school could do more to attract and engage minority applicants.

Accepted: Looking back at the MBA application process, what would you say was your greatest challenge? How would you advise other MBA applicants who are facing similar challenges?

Cheetarah1980: Low GPA was my greatest challenge. However, I was 9 years out of undergrad when I applied. I think that having nearly a decade between my career and my undergrad GPA helped tremendously. If other applicants are facing the same issue I recommend doing as well as possible on the GMAT, maybe taking 1-2 classes to create an alternate transcript (if you’re less than 5 years out of undergrad), writing the optional essay, and making sure everything else in your application is top notch. There are very very very very few perfect applicants. Admissions committees are often willing to overlook one flaw if everything else is on point.

Accepted: Can you share a few more admissions tips with our readers?

Cheetarah1980: Be authentic. If you really think about why you’re going to business school and what you want to get out of the experience you should be able to stand out. Use your own unique voice in your essays. And coach your recommenders!!

For one-on-one guidance on your b-school application, please see our MBA Application Packages. For specific advice on how to create the best application for Chicago Booth check out our Chicago Booth 2015 MBA Questions, Deadlines, Tips.

Thank you Cheetarah1980 for sharing your story with us – we wish you loads of luck!

Related Resources:

Chicago Booth B-School Zone

MBA Student Interviews

School Specific MBA Application Essay Tips

Tags: Chicago Booth, MBA Admissions, MBA Student Interviews

Send PM
Toronto Rotman 2015 MBA Essay Tips and Deadlines [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Toronto Rotman 2015 MBA Essay Tips and Deadlines

Toronto Rotman

The University of Toronto’s Rotman School of Business is one of the leading business schools in Canada. Known for its design approach to MBA education and strong emphasis on problem solving, Rotman’s program is growing in size and renown.

My tips are in blue below.

Essay Questions:

1. Please state your professional goals and how you plan to achieve them. (Please limit your answer to 25o words.)

This is a pretty straightforward goals question, requiring a concise answer. What do you want to do and where do you want to do it? The “where” refers to industry, not necessarily geography, but geography could be a part of your goal. If it is, you should include it in your response.

Your essay should show Rotman that you have thought about your career path, Rotman’s role in that chosen path, and how your career can realistically progress after you receive your Rotman MBA.

2. Describe the most important piece of constructive feedback you have received recently. Please detail the circumstance and your plan to address it. (Please limit your answer to 25o words.)

Tell a brief story here. What were you told? What was the context? How has it proven constructive? If you have room in your essay and you feel it fits with the rest of your response, include a situation similar to the one that prompted the criticism and that you handled well as a result of the advice you received.

Alternatively, you could even start with the situation that ended well, and then provide the background, including the story of the constructive feedback.

3. Reflection Question: List 3-5 attributes or characteristics that best describe you. Limit response to 50 characters. (3-5 word maximum.)

My suggestion here would be to avoid what my friend and colleague from Maxx Associates, Maxx Duffy, calls “umbrella words.” These are general terms for valued attributes, but they tend to be abused and overused in the MBA application process. There is nothing wrong with them other than the reality that they are sapped them of meaning and impact. And if you use these umbella words, you will blend in with all the others who are also using them, just like one more black umbrella on a rainy day.

An example: leadership.  I guarantee that attribute (or any form of “lead”) will be the most commonly mentioned term. I encourage you not to use a form of “lead” or “leader.” It is an umbrella word. Instead, go into the key attributes you have that make you a great leader.  Those are the qualities that go under the umbrella. They will be more distinctive and more memorable.

Video Interview:

The video interview component is a required part of Rotman Admissions process designed to give all candidates guaranteed “face time” with the Admissions Committee and showcase your personality, characteristics, passions, and values.

You will have an opportunity to test the technology, and then will be asked two taped questions. Both questions are personality/values based and are designed to be answered without any advanced preparation and will only take a few minutes to complete. After completing your questions, you will receive a confirmation email and unique URL to input into this section of the application and complete the video component. Good luck and have fun with the process!

We’ve written blog posts on the video essay, and last year I had a fascinating interview with Niki da Silva, Rotman’s Admissions Director, who provided excellent advice on the Rotman video interview. It is by far, our most popular podcast.

Here are links to these resources.

• Tips for Video MBA Essay Questions

• MBA Video Essays: A Conversation with Rotman’s Niki da Silva 

• MBA Interview Tips: Video Essays

Toronto Rotman 2015 Deadlines:

Round 
Application Deadline 
Decision Notification 

November 3, 2014
 December 12, 2014

January 12, 2015
 February 27, 2015

March 2, 2015
 April 17, 2015

April 20, 2015
 May 22, 2015

June 1, 2015
 July 3, 2015

By Linda Abraham, president and founder of Accepted.com and co-author of the new, definitive book on MBA admissions, MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools2015 MBA Application, MBA Admissions, Toronto Rotman

Send PM
CMU Tepper 2015 MBA Essay Tips & Deadlines [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: CMU Tepper 2015 MBA Essay Tips & Deadlines

CMU Tepper

The key to admissions success here is to exhibit your keen analytical capabilities through your essays—that and your strong passion for learning and your desire to expand your role as an innovative leader. Get those points across to the adcom members and you could be well on your way to the tech-savvy business education that only Tepper can provide.

Tepper has tweaked its application this year, changing slightly question #1 under the Post-MBA Goals, replacing the #2.  and dropping one of the other essay questions.

Post-MBA Goals:

1.  What is your professional goal immediately following graduation from Tepper? (Maximum 1500 characters)

What do you want to do immediately after you get your MBA and in which industry do you want to do it? If geography is important to you, then include that information too.

Since Tepper is giving you more room than is necessary to simply state what you want to do and where you want to do it, you can give Tepper background on the development of your goal. What experience convinced you this career path was right for you?  When did you demonstrate the skills or qualities this role requires?

2. If you are not successful in your first choice of role after graduation, what other role would you consider? In other words, what is your Plan B? (Maximum 1500 characters)

This is a easy question to answer — if you have a Plan B. If you don’t have one, thoughtfully create one.

If you don’t get the job you describe in #1, how you you take advantage of your past experience and your new Tepper MBA? Would you slightly change long-term goals and go down a different path? Or would you stick with the long-term goals and attempt to achieve them in a different way?  Either option is possible. Choose the one that best reflects you.

Essays:

1. Describe a defining moment in your life, and explain how it shaped you as a person. (Maximum 300 words)

This question is an attempt to get to know you, the person. The previous questions are professionally focused. Use this essay to present a different side of you. Don’t write about work and your professional goals here.

In any case, tell a succinct story of that defining moment.  What happened and what was the impact on you? How has that event influenced you going forward? How is your behavior, your life different because of that moment?

2. Based on your research and interactions with the Tepper community, share why you are a good fit with the Tepper MBA program. (Maximum 300 words)

Again do your homework before you respond to this question. If you can, talk to current students or recent alumni from Tepper to get a feel for the culture. If you can visit, even better. Review the information on the Tepper web site to get a picture of student and alumni life and research those activities you would like to participate in, initiate, or lead. Then write about one or two clubs or events that you would love  to throw yourself into.

Optional Essay. Is there anything else that you would like to share with the Admissions Committee as we evaluate your application? If you believe your credentials and essays represent you fairly, you should not feel obligated to answer this question. This essay is intended to provide a place for you to add information that you think is important but is not covered elsewhere in the application. This could include clarification of your employment or academic record, choice of recommenders or helpful context for the admissions committee in reviewing your application. (Maximum 500 words)

Use this optional essay, or lose an opportunity to provide even more reasons for Tepper to admit you. Just don’t rehash information found elsewhere. That’s a waste of time — yours and your reader’s.

If you would like professional guidance with your CMU Tepper MBA application, please consider Accepted’s MBA essay editing and MBA admissions consulting or our  MBA Application Packages, which include advising, editing, interview coaching, and a resume edit for the CMU Tepper application. 

CMU Tepper MBA 2015 Application Deadlines:

Application Deadline 
Decision Notification 

Round 1
 October 5, 2014
 December 15, 2014

Round 2
 January 4, 2015
 March 25, 2015

Round 3
 March 15, 2015
 May 15, 2015

By Linda Abraham, president and founder of Accepted.com and co-author of the new, definitive book on MBA admissions, MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business SchoolsBest MBA Programs, A Guide to Selecting the Right One

2015 MBA Application Essay Tips

• Top 10 B-Schools with the Most Satisfied Graduates

Tags: 2015 MBA Application, CMU Tepper, MBA Admissions

Send PM
Emory Goizueta 2015 MBA Essay Tips & Deadlines [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Emory Goizueta 2015 MBA Essay Tips & Deadlines

Emory Goizueta

To ace your Goizueta essays, you’ll need to show—not just tell—that you have the skills, passion, and motivation to excel in a rigorous academic environment, and in the business world at large. Illustrate who you are, what you want, and where you are going.

These essays are short – be prepared to make tough decisions about what key points to include and what to leave out. Write simply and directly to squeeze as much meaning and impact as possible out of each word.

Essays:

1. What is your short-term career goal and why is an MBA from Goizueta an important next step toward that goal? (200 word limit)

No room for backstory here. And notice the question is limited to short-term goal, i.e., the role you are targeting immediately upon graduating. Address in specific terms your desired position, an example of your desired company, what you expect to do in that role, and why you want it. Next, identify two to three aspects of the program most important to you and, for at least one point, note why you need a Goizueta MBA to achieve it.

2. If your initial career plans are not realized, what else are you considering? (200 word limit)

Present a credible “Plan B” short-term goal, noting why it’s still a good option and will be a viable path to your longer-term goals. Focus on the positive aspects of this other path, even if it is not ideal in your mind (i.e., avoid emphasizing why it’s not as good as your first choice).

3. The Business School is named for Roberto C. Goizueta, former Chairman and CEO of The Coca-Cola Company, who led the organization for 16 years, extending its global reach, quadrupling consumption, building brand responsibility, and creating unprecedented shareholder wealth. It is his legacy and the strength of his character that gives rise to our vision: Principled Leaders for Global Enterprise. Goizueta once said, “The cynics will tell you that the good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow. I’m telling you, do it anyway.”

Provide an example of the good you have contributed to an organization and the impact of your actions. (300 word limit)

I suggest addressing this question as a story (a very succinct story): describe a time you contributed to an organization. Walk through it crisply, “zooming in” on relevant details and focusing on your actions. In a final, brief paragraph reflect on the impact and why it’s meaningful.

To select the best topic or experience to portray, look for something that is fairly recent and that has a clear impact. You can use a work or non-work experience, depending on what you strategically want to highlight, but most people should grab this opportunity to showcase their impact at work. Keep in mind that the contribution and impact should be to the organization.

4. Complete one of the following statements. (250 word limit)

I am unique because…

My most memorable cross-cultural experience…

I am passionate about…

The best piece of advice I’ve ever received is…

This question is an opportunity for you to introduce a non-professional interest or aspect of your background. Show yourself off the job as an interesting human being.

Which should you respond to? The one you will find easiest to answer in an engaging, enthusiastic, and authentic way. The one that will best complement the rest of your application.

5.  Please share with the committee and your future classmates an interesting or fun fact about you. (25 word limit)

Align this short essay with essay 4 above – it’s another opportunity to round out your profile. This one can be work or non-work related. Be natural in your tone – don’t strain to sound “fun” if it doesn’t come naturally to you in writing, and don’t hold back if it does.

Optional Essay:

If you have additional information or feel there are extenuating circumstances which you would like to share with the MBA Admissions Committee (i.e. unexplained gaps in work experience, choice of recommenders, academic performance issues or areas of weakness in application).  (Please limit your response to 250 words)

You can of course use this essay solely to address an extenuating circumstance. If you don’t need it for that purpose, if there is something you believe would add to your case for admissions that is not covered in the rest of the application, write about it here. Focus on one facet of your life or an experience that is important to you, reveals the human being you are, and isn’t described in other parts of the application.

Re-Applicant Essays

Applicants who have applied to Goizueta Business School in the past are required to answer two questions:

Complete each of the following questions.

1. What is your short-term career goal and why is an MBA from Goizueta an important next step toward that goal? (200 word limit)

See tip above.

2. If your initial career plans are not realized, what else are you considering? (200 word limit)

See tip above.

3.  Explain how you have improved your candidacy for Goizueta Business School’s MBA Program since your last application. (250 word limit)

This is THE key question for all MBA reapplicants. Goizueta just asks it explicitly. Please see MBA Reapplicant 101 for more advice.

If you would like professional guidance with your Emory Goizueta MBA application, please consider Accepted’s MBA essay editing and MBA admissions consulting or our  MBA Application Packages, which include advising, editing, interview coaching, and a resume edit for the Emory Goizueta application. 

Emory Goizueta 2015 MBA Application Deadlines:

Application Deadline 
Decision Notification 

Round 1 
 October 10, 2014
 December 4, 2014

Round 2
 November 14, 2014
 January 29, 2015

Round 3
 January 9, 2015
 March 5, 2015

Round 4
 March 13, 2015
 May 1, 2015

By Cindy Tokumitsu, author and co-author of numerous ebooks, articles, and special reports, including Why MBA and Best MBA Programs: A Guide to Selecting the Right One. Cindy has advised hundreds of successful applicants in her fifteen years with Accepted.com.

Related Resources:

• Why MBA?: A Guide to Clarifying and Writing About Your Goals

• 2015 MBA Application Essay Tips

• Emory Goizueta B-School Zone

Tags: 2015 MBA Application, Emory Goizueta, MBA Admissions

GMAT Club Bot
Emory Goizueta 2015 MBA Essay Tips & Deadlines [#permalink]
   1  ...  10   11   12   13   14  ...  122